Gas tank, under hood???? by rims05
Started on: 11-12-2003 05:14 PM
Replies: 24
Last post by: sardonyx247 on 11-15-2003 03:15 AM
rims05

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2003 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rims05Send a Private Message to rims05Direct Link to This Post
is it possible to get a redesigned gas tank and put it up front? i think i could make it hold more gas and also then i could use that space where it is now to put a MONSTEROUS sound system in, also how hard do you think this would be to do? would i have to change any of the computer stuff? thanks, Travis
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroGTSR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2003 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTSRSend a Private Message to FieroGTSRDirect Link to This Post
Yes, it could be done, Not with the factory one. You would have to use a Aftermarket fuel cell.
Also it will take cutting to make room(if a 10 gal. is used) and you will need to make a "Cradle" to support/mount it.
Can be done, just some time and a little $$$$

------------------
1987 GT
Many Mods Comming Soon
(need more money)

FieroGTR@Excite.com

fieroman87

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2003 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroman87Send a Private Message to fieroman87Direct Link to This Post
I've been thinking the same thing except for the sound system thing. Here's my idea: pull old tank, make mold of the channel that the tank occupies, streach it so that the fill spout is right in front of the H-VAC system. I'm figuring that you could gain about 6-8 more gal. that way, maybe more especially if you scoot the pedals outward and bang out that wall. I't kind hard to explain what I see in my head but i'll see if I can draw up some pics later.

Arty

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2003 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
The origional pace car has 25 gallons of gas. There is a custom made 12 gallon fiberglass fuel cell under the hood. It is shaped to fit right in.

visit http://boomtastic.com/cfogi/show/index.php
for more pics of the 20th show. 2 of the cars there had this tank.

------------------
84 Indy fiero Quad 4 HO (almost done!!)
Silver 88 GT, Newest addiction.

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2003 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
I don't know about completely replacing the stock one... it would take a lot of space (as noted by the 12 gallon cell shown in the indy above).

Spyder also installed a 5 gallon Aux cell in the front of his replica: The Car and The Fuel Cell

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

fieroman87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2003 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroman87Send a Private Message to fieroman87Direct Link to This Post
Kinda' fugly lookin'.
rims05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2003 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rims05Send a Private Message to rims05Direct Link to This Post
a 12 gallon one would work perfect! anyone know where i should start? also would it be safe to have it up there? i think it would be ok but i just want to get some other opinions
fieroman87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2003 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroman87Send a Private Message to fieroman87Direct Link to This Post
I'm worried about it spoiling the balance of the car.

Arty

rims05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2003 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rims05Send a Private Message to rims05Direct Link to This Post
[quote]I'm worried about it spoiling the balance of the car.[quote]

wouldn't it add wieght up front making the front to back ratio closer to 50-50

fieroman87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2003 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroman87Send a Private Message to fieroman87Direct Link to This Post
yeah, but you get so used to a lite front end that adding 120 lbs in the front would change things dramaticaly. pluss, that's just more weight to haul around and it's not as low as it could be as far as positioning.

Arty

Darin_85SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2003 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darin_85SESend a Private Message to Darin_85SEDirect Link to This Post
Rims,
Thank you for asking that question! I was thinking that maybe I was the only person interested in such a thing. I started a similar thread on the forum a couple months ago, but it didn't really generate much response then.

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:

The origional pace car has 25 gallons of gas. There is a custom made 12 gallon fiberglass fuel cell under the hood. It is shaped to fit right in.

visit http://boomtastic.com/cfogi/show/index.php
for more pics of the 20th show. 2 of the cars there had this tank.

Obsessed, were all the Indys so equipped or just that one?

PFF
System Bot
rims05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2003 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rims05Send a Private Message to rims05Direct Link to This Post
i've never really driven my fiero (or any for that matter) except for an "around the block" test drive once i got it runnin, so the change won't bother me i just want to know if it will have any negative effects on my handling or performance? and i would rather have a LIL less performance and have a HUGE stereo than the performance with no stereo, lol plus i will hopefully be putting a new engine in sometime, thanks for all the responses
cardealer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2003 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cardealerSend a Private Message to cardealerDirect Link to This Post
heres a couple pics of mine. the fuel cell is 12 gallons and is from jegs. it fits rather nicely with out much work.

[This message has been edited by cardealer (edited 11-13-2003).]

rims05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2003 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rims05Send a Private Message to rims05Direct Link to This Post
cardealer, did you say you bought that???? where from and how much? and what'd u do with the space where the old tank was? did it mess up the hangling at all? thats sweet and exactly what i want

[This message has been edited by rims05 (edited 11-13-2003).]

jlruiz67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2003 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jlruiz67Send a Private Message to jlruiz67Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by cardealer:

heres a couple pics of mine. the fuel cell is 12 gallons and is from jegs. it fits rather nicely with out much work.

That looks great I would love to have 24 gallons of fuel but don't want to lose my AC. So how much did it cost? How did your handling change? How did you rig it with the other tank?

rims05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2003 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rims05Send a Private Message to rims05Direct Link to This Post
well i just realized that JEGS is a website and i found the fuel cell CARDEALER used and its 17.5" x 16" x 10" and it costs $112.99 i measured my car and you would have to make a few small cuts for it to fit and you would have to relocate/remove the AC but that doesn't seem like it'd be a big deal, this is my next project on the list after, brakes, muffler, headlights, thanks for all your help!
cardealer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2003 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cardealerSend a Private Message to cardealerDirect Link to This Post
yes that is the one that i used. if your looking for step by step instructions, you may be better off having it done by a professional. getting it to fit is the easy part, its making it functional is the tricky part. if you have a v6, you will need a inline fuel ($$$$) pump to handle your engine requirments, a return line back to the tank, some a/n fittings, a gm fuel sending unit for the fuel cell and a few more items to complete.
good luck!
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2003 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
The fuel cel is a nice touch and a boom box right under the console would be very impressive.

The problem I see is the weight balance.

The handling of the car is partly due to locating the weight midships so that the front and rear bumper areas do not contain much inertia when cornering.

With more weight in front it seems to me that the back end could break loose more suddenly with less notice.

It also seems to me that spinout potential would be higher.

There is no doubt that a front end collision would be a little more dangerous. Notice where fuel cels are put in F-1 and NASCAR vehicles.

I think some very careful research is needed.

cardealer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2003 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cardealerSend a Private Message to cardealerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

The fuel cel is a nice touch and a boom box right under the console would be very impressive.

The problem I see is the weight balance.

The handling of the car is partly due to locating the weight midships so that the front and rear bumper areas do not contain much inertia when cornering.

With more weight in front it seems to me that the back end could break loose more suddenly with less notice.

It also seems to me that spinout potential would be higher.

There is no doubt that a front end collision would be a little more dangerous. Notice where fuel cels are put in F-1 and NASCAR vehicles.

I think some very careful research is needed.

the weight is no problem. remove your jack, spare tire, ect, and drive your car to notice any change. all these items are needed to be removed to get the 12 gallon fuel cell installed. many people have installed batterys up front in addition to all the spare tire and other items upfront and had no real issues that i have heard of. the fuel cell up front could be a concern, but if you are hit hard enough to damage the fuel cell being in a fiero you are going to have serious problems anyway. i have seen a chevy2 with a fuel cell in the back get rearended so bad that it pushed the plastic cell to the back of the driverseat. it crushed it but didnt leak or spill a drop.
if you install it with proper bracing you shouldnt have any problems.

rims05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2003 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rims05Send a Private Message to rims05Direct Link to This Post
i have dropped the normal tank in my fiero before, so i know what it looks like, couldn't i just re-route the hoses that go into the old one? like the three metal ones that go into the tank, i kno that the big rubber one is the fill hose so i will be able to just get rid of that, i don't know what the other rubber one is for, CARDEALER would you be willing to post what your system includes as far as pumps and whatever else is needed that would be very helpful thanks again
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2003 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
just the 3 of the origional pace cars have them
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2003 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Why not just modify the stock tank? On Hot Rod Television mentioned a company that makes or modifies your tank. All we need is what? 2-4 gallons more? 300 mile range is all that I need. Right now I can get 270-280 miles before I get antsy.
rims05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2003 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rims05Send a Private Message to rims05Direct Link to This Post

Why not just modify the stock tank? On Hot Rod Television mentioned a company that makes or modifies your tank. All we need is what? 2-4 gallons more? 300 mile range is all that I need. Right now I can get 270-280 miles before I get antsy.

well i would do that but it would pry end up being more expensive anyways and i wanna put a stereo in and the tank in the front would help a lot with that cause then i can put the subs where the old tank was

Slater_334

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2003 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Slater_334Send a Private Message to Slater_334Direct Link to This Post
saw a thread a while back about a guy that made after market tanks, like 20 gal?, the site is dead. dose anyone know if he is still around? and if he is still making tanks?

------------------
red stock 85 2m4

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2003 03:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post
I had the same idea when I bought my first Fiero and didn't know much about them.
My friend and I were just about to cut into it but I decided to wait and see what was there..lol. But the only problem I saw was that the tank now, is in the best place. low center of gravity, and it's in the safest spot. The saftey was my main concern, so many stupid drivers who could hit me out there. It would make a good show car. But since I won't be doing it, I want to see one done

------------------
'84 Fiero Sport Quad 4 coming soon
http://www.lasvegasfieroclub.com/

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock