Pennock's Fiero Forum
  FAQs & HowTos
  Exhaust manifold gasket replacement, detailed with pictures. (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Exhaust manifold gasket replacement, detailed with pictures. by jetman
Started on: 07-25-2005 08:05 PM
Replies: 56 (8611 views)
Last post by: reinhart on 05-15-2021 06:33 AM
fieroo.com

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2008 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroo.comClick Here to visit fieroo.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroo.comEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jetman:

Your chances of success are much greater if the engine is out of the car, you'll have all the room that you need. Beg, borrow or rent an impact wrench, that'll really help break the bolts loose without snapping them. I just did an engine swap on my 88 Duke and none of my manifold bolts snapped, man alive, I'm a firm believer in an impact wrench. Maybe a phisics expert can chime in but I think it has something to do with the shock value of that tool.

Always easier to work outside of the car, thanks for the compliment, good luck and let us know how it goes, ok?

An impact wrench?
That one just scared me.
It would have been the last thing to think about for the risk of the bolts snapping off.
I assume that you will use it with a very low torque?
IP: Logged
Intel

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2008 06:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IntelSend a Private Message to IntelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've swapped gaskets on two 87 and no bolts snapped. I used an angled impact wrench, they are usually not as powerful as a straight impact wrench and apply an even load on the bolts. I set it on low and just let it work for a few minutes and the bolts slowly backed out.

Oh... I also soaked the bolts in PB blaster a few days before and just before I used the wrench I tapped (knocked) on the bolts with a hammer. Then threw salt over my shoulder, said a prayer... .... ... and everything else that could help.
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2009 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just thought I would update this thread, if you do decide to pull the head to remove exhaust mainfold bolts, you really need to get this tool, it'll save you from having to reset the valve lash, a real time saver and headache saver as countless posts about re-setting valve lash will attest to. The idea is that you can remove the pushrods without disturbing the rocker arm / valve lash settings at all.

Use this tool made by Lisle Lis 48500

http://www.denlorstools.com...ush_rod_remover.html

Made specially to remove the push rod without disturbing the setting while installing the gasket

[This message has been edited by jetman (edited 10-05-2010).]

jetman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2009 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jetman

7788 posts
Member since Dec 2002
Be sure to thank Partick for this excellent contribution. This is definitely the way to go when you need to drill out those snapped manifold bolts.

Originally posted by Patrick:

KENT MOORE J-38782 FIERO 2.8L EXHAUST EXTRACTOR KIT. It bolts to the head and guides the drill bits so that the broken studs can be drilled out straight. I snagged one on eBay a few months ago because I knew I'd need it. Here's a couple of images I picked up from the 'net.

Katman81

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2009 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Katman81Send a Private Message to Katman81Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW !! this is an excellent thread. Im getting ready to do mine manifolds and gaskets in the next month or so. This is definately added to my favorites.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2009 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HOW do I add this to "My Favorites " ?? I don't see favorites anywhere/ thanks
jetman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2010 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wanted to update this thread with more information provided by our fellow members concerning drilling out broken bolts. The technique is to drill at low speeds, use plenty of oil, let everything cool down and use a good drill bit.

Originally posted by cvillechopper:

VICTORY IS MINE!!! I called up the local specialty fastener and tool shop and told them about my situation. They said the bit I need is called a GRT bit and if it doesn't get through it, nothing will so I stopped by after work and picked one up for under $5. That thing was BAD ASS! I went slow and used plenty of cutting fluid and that bit acted like I was working on mild steel. I even went back to the cobalt bits about 1/2 through just to see if it was something else. Nope. The other bits couldn't make a dent and this new on ate right through it (in about 1/2 hour with plenty of breaks for cooling and oiling).

I'll never waste time with anything else. These GRT bits (it's the style, not the company) are amazing.

Thanks for the help guys.

and this quote....

Originally posted by topcat:

Another bit that cuts metal like a hot knife in butter is a CMD bit. We use them to cut thru titanium at work. Some of the titanium that we drill is up to 1/2 inch thick, and the CMD will cut like no other.

Thanks to cvillechopper and topcat, excellent stuff.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2010 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get this, run it with MAPP gas, get the nut red hot and turn the bolt out of the exhaust.
http://www.hectorshardware....20210106&sku=314943&
partfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2012 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

When I bought mine it had a bad leak. The rear window would get so hot you couldn't hold your hand on it. Some of the engine wiring harness was damaged too. After awhile (180 miles on the interstate) the ignition module died. Yes, it can damage something although it depends on the severity and the location.

If you have time and really want to use good gaskets, try these:

Fits a 1966 Type 1 Volkswagen. About $1.50 each.

I have has those in my 85&87 for ten years now, no leaks.
NEVERDONE

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2012 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have a part number or manufacturer for these?^^^^^^
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2012 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tip: To prevent future manifold cracks. Coat the gaskets with powdered graphite before installation. This will allow some necessary expansion movement (due to heat cycling) without the manifold developing cracks. Always torque exhaust manifold bolts to their proper torque specs. Too loose and you'll have leaks, too tight and you'll have cracks.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
hobbywrench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2013 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hobbywrenchSend a Private Message to hobbywrenchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think anyone mentioned the use of a left hand drill bit. (not a joke) A bubble pak is available at H-Frt. Whether you can first center punch a snapped bolt in place is a little hazy to me, but I think I did this many years ago to my 85GT , manifold in place. The out come was that the punch vibration was enough to loosen the broken bolt which I managed to them uncrew....

But what I was leading up to with the center punch is that the reverse (loosening) cut of the drill has a tendency to loosen such a bolt as the drill bit (cutting ) lip digs in. Use a reversible 3/8 hand drill on the REVERSE setting. If the bolt does not loosen, stop and think before drilling for an easy out as you are likely to take out the female threads in the head.

Jetman's good vibrations from an air hammer (gently) probably accomplish what that center punching did for me. If there is "good rust" then dry rust is more crystal -like than the nasty water fed rust which welds metals to one another. The heated exhaust port area can keep some moisture at bay. So jarring the intact or snapped bolts may help. Street physics 101.

Edit: Further thought on heat vs rust... For oxidation (rust) electrolyte is required. In this case water. Another reason (besides oil sludge) to thoroughly warm up car when possible. Street physics 102.

[This message has been edited by hobbywrench (edited 03-28-2013).]

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2013 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hobbywrench:

Whether you can first center punch a snapped bolt in place is a little hazy to me, but I think I did this many years ago to my 85GT , manifold in place.

You could probably use a "transfer punch" to mark an accurate center. It would be even better, if possible, to level (i.e. grind or spotface) the fractured surface of the broken screw and then use a transfer punch. If you have the Kent-Moore jig like Patrick's, 5/32 would be the appropriate size for the spotface, transfer punch, and left-handed drill bit.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 03-18-2013).]

hobbywrench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2013 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hobbywrenchSend a Private Message to hobbywrenchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Marvin's idea is good about squaring off before center punching, however my broken stud (murphys law) was broken below the surface of the exhaust flange . Also , it's been a long time , but an offset (90 deg) drill head or attachment would probably help. I did not have one, but seems like the most compact 90 deg. unit might be an air die grinder or purpose - built electric drill. Poblem with air is low torque and hair trigger input. Good electrics were available but somewhat expensive.
robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2015 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This the best write up I have ever found for this. Thank you thank you !
Now I'm ready to tackle it and get myself into trouble, but an outstanding job. I could never repay you for all the work that went into this write up.
True asset to the forum.
Thanks again !
jetman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2020 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by robert1234:

This the best write up I have ever found for this. Thank you thank you !
Now I'm ready to tackle it and get myself into trouble, but an outstanding job. I could never repay you for all the work that went into this write up.
True asset to the forum.
Thanks again !

Thanks!! You can pay it forward some day by helping our fellow members with knowledge that you have gained.
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2021 06:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just did this repair for the first time. I can't stress enough that it is so much easier tackling the front manifold from the bottom. The upper A/C bracket is done topside. Remove the metal firewall shield...it surprisingly makes a big difference...it's 4 x 8m bolts...literally took 2 min to remove. Then the front manifold to head bolts should all be accessed from below. The front manifold to crossover bolts (1 above and 1 below). That's it. No need to tilt the engine cradle or remove the decklid. It's really not too bad from below the car. It seems like a lot of people do not want to work on the car from the ground though so...they'll make it 10x harder just to work from above.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock