Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Trash Can
  How much would you SELL this '87 Fiero GT (5-sp) for? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
How much would you SELL this '87 Fiero GT (5-sp) for? by GS Jon
Started on: 05-22-2010 06:31 PM
Replies: 80 (2134 views)
Last post by: GS Jon on 06-02-2010 04:14 PM
GS Jon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GS JonClick Here to visit GS Jon's HomePageSend a Private Message to GS JonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm starting to prepare myself for the inevitable sale of my '87 Fiero GT (5-sp) project. While I would love to keep it, it's more important that I have liquidity in my savings account as I'm soon going to be out of the military and no longer receiving a paycheck. In case I'm unemployed for a long period of time, I'm selling what isn't needed. It's the only reasonable thing to do, not to mention demanded by the wife. So, here's a few pics of the Fiero to whet your appetite, followed by a long list of what's been done and what's wrong with it.

Stats:
1987 Fiero GT, 5-speed, 162,498 miles

Highlights:
-Brand new Goodyear Eagle GT's on refinished GT crosslace wheels (less than 50 miles on the set)
-11.25" brake upgrade with matched Blazer brake master cylinder using all-new components, flushed brake system with new fluid
-Restored suspension with new KYB shocks/struts/mounts, Rodney Dickman aluminum cradle bushings, braided SS brake hoses, poly bushings, balljoints, tie rods, CV axles, bearings and hubs (no expense spared here!)
-New fuel pump, FPR, MAP, TPS, VSS, ignition coil, temp sensor, temp switch, back-up switch and O2 sensor
-Upgraded shift system with new Rodney Dickman parts: shift and select cables, shifter rebuild kit and a Comp short shifter/leather short shifter boot, even have Synchromesh fluid in the Getrag
-Just installed nice GT tails with no delamination and Kahines tinted quarter windows
-InfiniteWill GT trunk seal

Waiting on install (on hand):
-DIYstu dew wipe full set w/extra felt
-Rodney Dickman window helpers, two sets
-New lock set, power lock solenoid
-AC accumulator, oriface tube and accessory belt (will include several cans of R-134a and oil)
-Good OEM interior carpet
-Poly swaybar endlinks and Moog bracket bushings

The 3800 swap parts that come with it:
-L36 shortblock, needs some machine work (cylinder honing, hot tanking, etc)
-L67 parts including 3rd Gen M90 supercharger, L67 LIM, L67 heads, L67 throttle body, L32 aluminum oil pan, pistons and rods, some accessory belt tensioners/standoffs, balancer
-L36 wiring harness and PCM from '98 F-Body
-Spare bits and pieces like MAF, LIM/UIM from F-Body L36, fuel rails, flexplate (for flywheel balancing), etc

The bad (full disclosure, not hiding a thing if I know about it):
-AC inop (parts on-hand)
-Needs stereo installed, old headunit on hand but unknown if it's functioning, or status of speakers
-Windshield cracked but passes safety inspection (not in driver's normal view), also needs windshield surround trim
-Sunroof leaks (car washes are recommended if you need a bath, LOL)
-No headliner backing board
-Seats in poor condition, but rebuildable with Mr. Mikes covers and padding
-Rust-through in corner of trunk, should be patchable
-No trunk carpet
-Inop cruise control (components in place, but unknown status)
-Needs passenger's side interior door panel installed (parts on-hand)
-Needs interior trim/sunvisors installed (parts on-hand)
-Needs passenger side door lock/solenoid installed (parts on-hand)
-Power window switches are iffy, need replacement
-Washer fluid nozzle, one line must have fallen off (will probably have this fixed before car is sold)
-Engine was replaced by PO, donor engine was from auto-equipped Fiero, some spare wires in the engine bay I haven't ID'd yet

So, there it is. If you were selling this car, what would you ask for it with everything included? I don't want to know what you would pay for it, for very specific reasons. I'll get more pics up later, right now I have to get my wife's car's brakes done. Thanks in advance!

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to be brutally honest with you here, tell your wife to stick it.

Your Fiero is not going to bring much money, even as nice as it is. If you can get $5,000 for it that would be a great price and at this time, I'll be very surprised if you can get that. While you might be thinking that it's the smart thing to do right now, and maybe it is, unless you have a ton of debt you're going to retire some of with the sale, or you have absolutely no savings at all, then there is no need to sell it.

I don't know what your job in the military was, but you'll find that most employers are giving priority to vets right now and rightfully so, especially government agencies. There is no reason to suspect you'll be out of work long enough that the sale of this car will make any difference unless you just don't want to work. There is work all around, granted some is not the most appealing, but there is work if you want to do it.

If your wife continues to "demand" it, then pick out something that is precious to her, oh, let's say her wedding/engagement ring, and explain that's also a total luxury that you simply may not be able to afford any longer and demand that if you have to sell the Fiero then SHE has to sell her wedding ring too.

Yes, I'm deadly serious.

I have no idea how it came to be that we let our wives (or husbands) determine FOR US and make DEMANDS on us to do something, sell something, or buy something. Screw that, it's not a partnership or a marriage at that point, it's a dictatorship.

John Stricker
GS Jon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GS JonClick Here to visit GS Jon's HomePageSend a Private Message to GS JonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, let me make something completely and implicitly clear for anyone else who will be posting in this thread: My wife is NOT making a decision that I do not agree with.

In case that's not clear enough, let me rephrase it: I am not doing this totally against my will. The relationship I have with my wife is a fair and loving one. In the circumstances, the decision to sell the Fiero is a very sound one. If i felt she were being unreasonable, or if I felt that I should hold on to this vehicle for personal use at a later time, this thread wouldn't even be posted. However, since it is you'll have to take it on blind faith that this is the best course of action for me to take at this time.

That being said, can we please stick to the overarching theme of the thread instead of questioning the relationship that I have with my wife? Thanks.
Nurb432

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post05-22-2010 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sell it to me for 500 bucks. Ill even come get it to take it off your hands.

On a more serious note, while i do understand accommodating ones spouse, they have to be understanding too and as long as its not effecting your financial state in a negative way, id say she needs to drop the subject and let you have your harmless hobby.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post05-22-2010 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by GS Jon:

That being said, can we please stick to the overarching theme of the thread instead of questioning the relationship that I have with my wife? Thanks.

By saying 'demanded by the wife' you sort of opened that can of worms yourself.
GS Jon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GS JonClick Here to visit GS Jon's HomePageSend a Private Message to GS JonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So now we're going to get stuck on semantics instead of answering my question? I'd like to just get the information I requested instead of you folks making unqualified judgements on my marriage.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post05-22-2010 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So now we're going to get stuck on semantics instead of answering my question? I'd like to just get the information I requested instead of you folks making unqualified judgements on my marriage.

I can see this isn't going to go well, so I'm dropping out. Good luck selling the car.

Around here, 5k would be lucky as well.

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 05-22-2010).]

GS Jon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GS JonClick Here to visit GS Jon's HomePageSend a Private Message to GS JonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I already have plenty of stress in my life as it is, and folks such as yourself come into a thread that's already hard enough for me to make in the first place just to start throwing your judgments in my face over a couple of words. It's a simple thread with a simple question, and if it's not too much to ask I'd like your expert opinions on the value.

You guys have been in the game much longer than I have been, and I need your help to make sure that I don't suffer a double loss here. I'm losing a project car that I've poured HUNDREDS of my own hours of labor into, not to mention all the research I've done to support the mods I've installed. On top of that, I stand to lose a lot of money if I undervalue the car on top of that. I'm losing my ass as it is on this car with the money I've put into it, I don't need to lose any more.

So if you all could find it in your hearts to PUT ASIDE that statement about my wife's demands (she doesn't have many, and when she does it's always for a good reason), and answer the question honestly, that would be fantastic and I'd appreciate it more than anyone could ever believe.

So, thank you.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post05-22-2010 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I already have plenty of stress in my life as it is, and folks such as yourself come into a thread that's already hard enough for me to make in the first place just to start throwing your judgments in my face over a couple of words. It's a simple thread with a simple question, and if it's not too much to ask I'd like your expert opinions on the value.

You guys have been in the game much longer than I have been, and I need your help to make sure that I don't suffer a double loss here. I'm losing a project car that I've poured HUNDREDS of my own hours of labor into, not to mention all the research I've done to support the mods I've installed. On top of that, I stand to lose a lot of money if I undervalue the car on top of that. I'm losing my ass as it is on this car with the money I've put into it, I don't need to lose any more.

So if you all could find it in your hearts to PUT ASIDE that statement about my wife's demands (she doesn't have many, and when she does it's always for a good reason), and answer the question honestly, that would be fantastic and I'd appreciate it more than anyone could ever believe.

So, thank you.

( I'm sure ill get some negatives for this but oh well, im being honest here )

Here is a simple Simple thread : "Car xyz with options xyz. What is its value?" If that is all you wanted to ask, then it should have been that simple.

YOU brought in your martial sitaution with the unprovoked elaboration of the sitaution into the subject all on your own. We responded to a direct comment about your wife demanding the car be gone, so i don't see why you were so surprised or are offended. Perhaps it was not your intent, but posting statements like that in an open forum is almost a direct request for comments and advice, so just get over it and act like a man instead of a crybaby. Geesh.

( and yes i said i was done, sorry about that.. this time i really am, wont be back to the thread. So good luck with the finances/job/wife/etc )

Oh, and i did answer honestly about the 5 grand in this area for what is a 'running project car' from your description. Should i be offended you accused me of anything less? No, of cousre not.

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 05-22-2010).]

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It sells for what someone is willing to pay for it... Otherwise follow this guide line for suggested sale price..

http://home.xnet.com/~paulv/Price%20Guide.htm
FrugalFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrugalFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This may not help much either, but a used car is worth as much as somebody will pay you for it. What $$$ figure do you have in mind?
PFF
System Bot
GS Jon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GS JonClick Here to visit GS Jon's HomePageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

( I'm sure ill get some negatives for this but oh well, im being honest here )

Here is a simple Simple thread : "Car xyz with options xyz. What is its value?" If that is all you wanted to ask, then it should have been that simple.

YOU brought in your martial sitaution with the unprovoked elaboration of the sitaution into the subject all on your own. We responded to a direct comment about your wife demanding the car be gone, so i don't see why you were so surprised or are offended. Perhaps it was not your intent, but posting statements like that in an open forum is almost a direct request for comments and advice, so just get over it and act like a man instead of a crybaby. Geesh.

( and yes i said i was done, sorry about that.. this time i really am, wont be back to the thread. So good luck with the finances/job/wife/etc )

Oh, and i did answer honestly about the 5 grand in this area for what is a 'running project car' from your description. Should i be offended you accused me of anything less? No, of cousre not.

I'm addressing you one last time, and then it's over with because this is not the intent of my thread. If by demand, you're thinking she's being a totally unreasonable, fire-snorting ***** , you are incorrect. A demand is defined as thus:

de·mand   /dɪˈmænd, -ˈmɑnd/ Show Spelled[dih-mand, -mahnd] Show IPA
–verb (used with object)
1.to ask for with proper authority; claim as a right: He demanded payment of the debt.
2.to ask for peremptorily or urgently: He demanded sanctuary. She demanded that we let her in.
3.to call for or require as just, proper, or necessary: This task demands patience. Justice demands objectivity.
4.Law.
a.to lay formal legal claim to.
b.to summon, as to court.

I have emphasized the appropriate section of the definition. Please comprehend it as it is intended. Her demand is not unreasonable because it is JUST, PROPER and NECESSARY. I'm sorry that if in previous relationships the women (or men?) in your life have been unreasonable and have put negative connotations to the definition of demanding something. I can assure you that my wife has made MANY sacrifices in the name of keeping me happy while I chase foolish dreams or worthless pasttimes. If she says I have to get rid of a toy, which is nothing more than a material posession, in order for us to be comfortable while I seek employment in a new field, I think she is WELL within her right to do so.

For you to come in here and become a drama queen, to be contrary for the sake of your post count or online "cred", is highly immature and you cannot leave this thread fast enough. You sir, are an ass. If that statement gets me banned from here, so be it. I'm calling your behavior for what it is. Good day.
GS Jon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GS JonClick Here to visit GS Jon's HomePageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

GS Jon

974 posts
Member since May 2005

Originally posted by Old Lar:

It sells for what someone is willing to pay for it... Otherwise follow this guide line for suggested sale price..

http://home.xnet.com/~paulv/Price%20Guide.htm

Thank you.

Originally posted by FrugalFiero:

This may not help much either, but a used car is worth as much as somebody will pay you for it. What $$$ figure do you have in mind?

That's not the question. I'm asking how much you would attempt to sell it for. That is all.
jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Actually, I did answer your question. I also added more input. Do with it what you will. You'll be doing very well if you get $5K for it, probably more realistically, 1/2 that.

John Stricker
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

sell it to me for 500 bucks. Ill even come get it to take it off your hands.

i'l give you 600 and come take it off you hands.

god we are cold bastegess

steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

CoryFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
$1700
GS Jon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GS JonClick Here to visit GS Jon's HomePageSend a Private Message to GS JonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

i'l give you 600 and come take it off you hands.

god we are cold bastegess

steve

Now that you've stated what you'd pay, would you kindly state what you'd be looking at selling the car for if it were in your posession?

Originally posted by CoryFiero:

$1700

You'd sell this car for $1,700? I have that much wrapped up in the brakes and suspension.
fierobrian

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobrianSend a Private Message to fierobrianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
about 3000 the extra short block will cost more to rebuild them buy running motor so doesnt add much if any $ in mybook
fierobrian

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobrianSend a Private Message to fierobrianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierobrian

2976 posts
Member since Sep 2003
about 3000 the extra short block will cost more to rebuild them buy running motor so doesnt add much if any $ in mybook
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent

katore8105

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would also say around 3k but be prepared to sell for as low as 2k but no less than that.. This is my suggestion in my limited experience and based off of recent sales in the last few months. Also keep in mind that I have seen complete 3800 sc swaps sell for 3.5k with minor repairs necessary and those even sat on the forum mall for over a month before it was sold. We all know that a 3800 swap costs much much more than that but the market atm is horrible. I totally feel you on the whole money invested thing. I already have close to 3.5k invested into my car atm and I have another 2 k to go and the total value of it when completed being a duke will be no more than 2-2.5k absolute maximum with new paint and all. There is also complete rat rod 350 V8 GTs with complete suspension and brake packages for sale on E-bay at the moment for between 3k and 3.8k. Like I said, I would start asking at 3k but expect no more than 2k for it if you can find a buyer. To be 100% honest, I would park the car at a families house until you weather the storm and save it for a later date since 2k is something to scoff at in your position with time and money invested. Furthermore, if you are only able to get 2k for it, how long will that sustain you for?

Me personally I would rather eat Ramen noodle soup, drop my cable tv, turn off the AC, and conserve every cent you can before punching yourself in the gut selling that car for current market sales. But this isn't about what I would do. Obviously you know whats best for you and your family but our cars are just not worth much. You might get lucky on E-bay or craigslist and get more than that but I wouldn't count on it with what is on the public market atm. Your best bet is definitely to do your best to market outside of the Fiero community and bank on an impulse buy from someone who doesn't find this website, check ebay or craigslist before they buy it. I wish you the best of luck on your sale and well being of your family at this time.
PFF
System Bot
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't sell it. In this economy, you are looking at selling that Fiero for ~2-4k. If you sell it to a guy on the street, all he will see is the (obvious) flaws, and he won't appreciate the value. He'll think 2k is a high but good price. If you get lucky and sell it to a current Fiero owner or enthusiast, you might be able to get 4k if they have been in good fortune as of late. But most Fiero enthusiasts have multiple cars and aren't looking to BUY in our economy.

So what I'm saying is you won't get any money that would make you happy. You would more than likely be upset at the sale, and if you want a Fiero in the future, it would have been wiser to just keep it.

You already seem pretty upset about the whole ordeal, the guys really weren't jumping on your marriage or anything. Maybe it's smarter to just hold it off for a few months? Think about it some more, enjoy your last moments with it, then put it on the market. Maybe it will be less stressful, and maybe the economy can have a little boost by then and you will be happier with the outcome (doubtful, but possible).
CoryFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You'd sell this car for $1,700? I have that much wrapped up in the brakes and suspension.

That's how much I think it would sell for. I might ask $2000. But I would probably end up taking $1700 at the lowest.
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd say you could sell it for around $2,000 if you are really lucky. If you put it for more than that you are just pretending to want to sell it. Either you need to sell something, or you don't.

I love it when people say that they must sell something to survive, and have to sell it period, no discussion, then price it thousands above market value.

Be realistic, the car has a lot of problems. I've paid a lot less and got a lot better.

-AC inop (parts on-hand)
-Needs stereo installed, old headunit on hand but unknown if it's functioning, or status of speakers
-Windshield cracked but passes safety inspection (not in driver's normal view), also needs windshield surround trim
-No trunk carpet
-Washer fluid nozzle, one line must have fallen off (will probably have this fixed before car is sold)
-Engine was replaced by PO, donor engine was from auto-equipped Fiero, some spare wires in the engine bay I haven't ID'd yet

You're going to lose selling the car right now. I wouldn't pay 600.00 for it right now, the rust, interior, and A/C problems alone would warn me away.

Whats the status on the outside trim pieces? Do you have them? Is the car going to need repainted soon?

I'm not trying to piss you off, just being honest.

Sell the car and the engine separately.

Brad
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What would I ask for it if it were mine to sell?

I wouldn’t sell it.

Steve

Good luck as someone else said the economy sucks and unless you are willing to take your chances and send it to one of Barrettes Auctions. You will be hard pressed to get more than 3k.

I have sold a lot of crap over the years after my stroke.
4 horse stock trailer, $2K way under priced but we needed the money.
92 F150 $800, needed a rear main seal and I helped replace it in my shop after the guy bought it.
Cattle up the ying yang, for ½ what they were going for at sales.

But we will never sell the Fieros.

Sorry just the way things are.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And you'll be lucky to get that much back out of it. You can complain about the prices being mentioned here all you want, it's not going to change things. It's a tough market. The car might be mechanically OK, but as Brad pointed out the rust and a/c problems are hurting it. Not only that, with the missing trim pieces it simply doesn't "show" all that well. If you find someone that's in love with it you MIGHT MIGHT MIGHT get up to $5K for it but realistically you can expect 1/2 or less than that. That's what the market is.

Your question "what would you sell it for if it was yours" has also been answered repeatedly. Most here have said with the market the way it is and the current "project" status of the car, they wouldn't sell it right now, but you don't like that answer either.

Tell you what, why don't you just tell us what you'll sell it for and we'll all just jump in here and tell you you're really smart and it will surely bring that?

John Stricker
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its going to be hard for most of us to buy a project right now. Everyone including yourself wants some stability and a car in parts wont give anyone that.
If my projects werent running and drivable the way they are I would probably have sold them two years ago.

With that said I would probably give you 1000 - 1500 for the car without the engine and install the stock 2.8 that I have here. I wouldnt be able to give you a price on the entire project because I wouldnt want it.

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 05-23-2010).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post05-23-2010 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not going to say a word about the spouse thing...just the value of the car.

If you check e-bay and autotrader, kijiji, craigslis ect, you will get and idea of what they are going for in your area. and its not NEARLY enough to cover what you have in it. You ARE going to take a loss selling it.

Honestly, its a nice Fiero-but I wouldnt give any more than 2k for it, and with the rust in the trunk I would be checking the rear rails and probably weasiling you down over the rust issues.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 05-23-2010).]

GS Jon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GS JonClick Here to visit GS Jon's HomePageSend a Private Message to GS JonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for everyone's responses. I do appreciate the input, and I am not upset with the #'s being tossed around unlike what John Stricker wants to believe.

Unlike some folk will do, I was not trying to hide what was wrong with the car. I was giving the information freely so people could make an honest assessment of the vehicle. I feel that if I hadn't disclosed what was wrong with it, the #'s would be artificially inflated as to the car's value. If I had someone tell me honestly what all was wrong with this car in the first place, I wouldn't have bought it. It didn't run, when it did it would stall, suspension was shot, brakes were bad, etc etc etc. Nightmare car. Now it's a nice running car I'd take anywhere.

Fortunately for me, the used auto market here in San Antonio is inflated, with car prices on the high side. Vehicles sell for more than they would in most other markets. Don't know why, but that's the way it is out here. Also, the economy is doing quite well with lower than average unemployment #'s (IIRC, about 7.4% or so). Fieros are quite rarely seen out here, so there's another bonus. Case in point: Craigslist link for Fieros in SATX

I think I'll probably put the car up for $3500, and wait for the right buyer to come along. I'm not dying for cash at the moment, and have enough cash in the bank to deal with a worst-case scenario to keep me from selling this car for too little.

In the meantime I can enjoy driving it around, as it's a great driver and lots of fun to putt around in. I think I'll probably take it down to the local car show with a For Sale sign in the window and see if a bored retired guy wants to spend some cash on a car that's got all the hard stuff taken care of already. Until then, I can slowly install the misc parts that are lying around to make it a better looking car. Carpet, interior trim etc.

Heck, I'm also selling my '98 Regal GS, maybe I can sell them together as a bundle deal for $5k and a Fiero guy can have two running cars, and a complete donor car for an L67 swap when they want to go for it.

EDIT: Added Craigslist link.

[This message has been edited by GS Jon (edited 05-23-2010).]

uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post05-23-2010 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
...Fiero,s just do not command much cash,, your car is a Great project car because it RUNS and is drivable,,unfortunately $2000.00 is what it is worth!! Go thru the mall and see how owners drop the price..
,, the exterior and interior must look good to bring a good price,,This is why car lots spend more on appearence ..
..I purchase my present Fiero for $600.oo, bad tranny ,,wish I would have purchased a drivable Fiero,,I will have $4000 to $5000 when I......
..Fiero drivers are cheap,cheap,, the chinese & japs workers love us!!
..Do all you can to improve the appearence ,get the out side exterior looking OUTSTANDING THIS WILL PAY DIVIDENDS IN THE TIME IT TAKES TO SALE..ANDTHE PRICE YOU RECIEVE..
Detail,,detail,detail the outside on the cheap
check big lots for a white spray can close to your paint,buy some used trim..

EDIT,,wish I had a lady I thought enough of ,, that I would accept her advise

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 05-23-2010).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post05-23-2010 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by uhlanstan:

..Fiero drivers are cheap,cheap,, the chinese & japs workers love us!!

US ???

Cheap ??

Nnnnoooooooooo.........

PFF
System Bot
jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for everyone's responses. I do appreciate the input, and I am not upset with the #'s being tossed around unlike what John Stricker wants to believe.

Unlike some folk will do, I was not trying to hide what was wrong with the car. I was giving the information freely so people could make an honest assessment of the vehicle. I feel that if I hadn't disclosed what was wrong with it, the #'s would be artificially inflated as to the car's value. If I had someone tell me honestly what all was wrong with this car in the first place, I wouldn't have bought it. It didn't run, when it did it would stall, suspension was shot, brakes were bad, etc etc etc. Nightmare car. Now it's a nice running car I'd take anywhere.

Fortunately for me, the used auto market here in San Antonio is inflated, with car prices on the high side. Vehicles sell for more than they would in most other markets. Don't know why, but that's the way it is out here. Also, the economy is doing quite well with lower than average unemployment #'s (IIRC, about 7.4% or so). Fieros are quite rarely seen out here, so there's another bonus. Case in point: Craigslist link for Fieros in SATX

I think I'll probably put the car up for $3500, and wait for the right buyer to come along. I'm not dying for cash at the moment, and have enough cash in the bank to deal with a worst-case scenario to keep me from selling this car for too little.

In the meantime I can enjoy driving it around, as it's a great driver and lots of fun to putt around in. I think I'll probably take it down to the local car show with a For Sale sign in the window and see if a bored retired guy wants to spend some cash on a car that's got all the hard stuff taken care of already. Until then, I can slowly install the misc parts that are lying around to make it a better looking car. Carpet, interior trim etc.

Heck, I'm also selling my '98 Regal GS, maybe I can sell them together as a bundle deal for $5k and a Fiero guy can have two running cars, and a complete donor car for an L67 swap when they want to go for it.

EDIT: Added Craigslist link.

I was going to just let this go and let you live in your world until you called me out by name. Fine, Jon, you want to make this personal, how about some personal, honest opinions on your car?

In my first post I wrote:

If you can get $5,000 for it that would be a great price and at this time, I'll be very surprised if you can get that.

In my second post I wrote:

You'll be doing very well if you get $5K for it, probably more realistically, 1/2 that

In my third post I wrote:

If you find someone that's in love with it you MIGHT MIGHT MIGHT get up to $5K for it but realistically you can expect 1/2 or less than that. That's what the market is.

In every post I answered your question. You didn't put in the header "everyone but John Stricker should give me their opinion" although from now on you can rest assured that's what I'll assume you mean.

Then you wrote " I do appreciate the input, and I am not upset with the #'s being tossed around unlike what John Stricker wants to believe."

and later go on to say:

"Fortunately for me, the used auto market here in San Antonio is inflated, with car prices on the high side. Vehicles sell for more than they would in most other markets. Don't know why, but that's the way it is out here" and post a link to Craigslist.

If you know the market there so well what in God's name did you come on here asking for opinions for? It's your car, set a price you'll sell it for and put it on the market. Or don't. I don't give a crap one way or the other. I'm not going to buy it, I have plenty of cars here that I can rebuild if I want and they didn't cost me more the $500. Yes, yours runs and is worth more than that, I told you that myself, but if I'm buying a project I'd just as soon it NOT run so when I fix it I know what's been fixed.

Your first post gave everyone reading YOUR THREAD the impression your wife was forcing, or at least pushing hard, for you to sell the car. If that's not what the issue was then that's great, but don't jump all up my butt because you can't convey the thought you were tyring to convey. I wasn't the only person that read your post that way. In every one of my posts I tried to give you helpful information. So did a lot of other members and your response varied including being insulting to me and telling CoryFiero "I have that much wrapped up in the brakes and suspension." Who cares what you have in it? That's irrelevant. You'll be lucky to get that back unless you do a lot of the fixing up on the car.

Your first post in your negatives you wrote:

-DIYstu dew wipe full set w/extra felt
-Rodney Dickman window helpers, two sets
-New lock set, power lock solenoid
-AC accumulator, oriface tube and accessory belt (will include several cans of R-134a and oil)
-Good OEM interior carpet
-Poly swaybar endlinks and Moog bracket bushings

Put the dew wipes on. Put the window helpers on. Put in the locks. Fix the A/C. Install the carpet. Put the rest of the suspension parts on. Do you think someone else is going to figure they can or should do all of that for free? Your 3800 parts are worth something only to someone that wants a 3800. That's not everyone. Some might want a SBC. Some might want a Northstar. Some might want a 4.9L Caddy. Some might even want an Ecotech. Including them you have offered more value but only to a limited number of buyers, for other buyers all of those parts are junk and don't add $1 value to the car.

You then go on and say:

-AC inop (parts on-hand)
-No trunk carpet

So now we find that the interior is not at all nice. Door panels need replaced, seats are "rebuildable" (If you want to spend another $500), it doesn't have a radio, the sunvisors aren't good, there's no trunk carpet and it's showing rust through.

Looking at the pictures the body is actually something that wouldn't be rated as "average" by a used car dealer. The side moldings are missing on both sides. The dew wipes are cracked. Can't tell, but with the dew wipes cracked I'll be the side windows are scratched. The antenna is missing. The nose has at least cosmetic damage in at least 4 places I can see, and I can assure you I can find more if I look at it in person. The windshield is cracked. If you have insurance you might be able to get it replaced but to a new owner it just dropped the value of the car $250.

You may or may not get $3500 for the car. Frankly, I'll be surprised if you get half that but I really do hope I'm wrong. There is nothing special about your car other than it's yours. That's not my fault. It's not my fault you want/need to sell it and you don't really wish to do that (otherwise why the sad face on the first post header?). You can call me whatever names you like and think I'm being a PITA, I don't really care one way or the other, but I've not said one thing in your thread that wasn't honest and trying to be helpful.

Do with it what you will.

John Stricker
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jon, remember my 87GT which I sold for $2,500.00 ?
GS Jon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GS JonClick Here to visit GS Jon's HomePageSend a Private Message to GS JonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
John, I just think you have a hardon for the fact that I used the word "demand" and then actually stuck up for my wife instead of bowing down and sucking your e-peen. If you're married, you give off the aura of an individual who talks big on the internet, but is apologetic and subservient to your wife. Telling me to tell my wife to "Stuff it" is amazingly stupid on your part, and if you're wondering why this thread is hostile it's because you seem to have a complete lack of respect for the sanctity of other people's relationships. Get off your high horse and deal with the fact that I'm going to resent you for being a completely insensitive prick who thinks he knows better than I do on how to deal with my individual situation (of which you have NO IDEA WHAT IS GOING ON). There's a reason I haven't told you folks anything about my situation. Wanna know why that is? Because I don't want or need your misguided counsel. Especially YOU, John.

Oops, called you out by name again. Gonna cry some more? Go on. Just do it in another thread, because I'm tired of having to scroll past your longwinded tripe. In other words, you may excuse yourself from my thread at any time. Oh, and don't use the common troll tactic of saying "I can post wherever I want, meeeeeehhhh." Just leave.
jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

John, I just think you have a hardon for the fact that I used the word "demand" and then actually stuck up for my wife instead of bowing down and sucking your e-peen. If you're married, you give off the aura of an individual who talks big on the internet, but is apologetic and subservient to your wife. Telling me to tell my wife to "Stuff it" is amazingly stupid on your part, and if you're wondering why this thread is hostile it's because you seem to have a complete lack of respect for the sanctity of other people's relationships. Get off your high horse and deal with the fact that I'm going to resent you for being a completely insensitive prick who thinks he knows better than I do on how to deal with my individual situation (of which you have NO IDEA WHAT IS GOING ON). There's a reason I haven't told you folks anything about my situation. Wanna know why that is? Because I don't want or need your misguided counsel. Especially YOU, John.

Oops, called you out by name again. Gonna cry some more? Go on. Just do it in another thread, because I'm tired of having to scroll past your longwinded tripe. In other words, you may excuse yourself from my thread at any time. Oh, and don't use the common troll tactic of saying "I can post wherever I want, meeeeeehhhh." Just leave.

No, I think your post, your language, and your attitude pretty much speak for itself. Thanks for letting everyone know just who you are.

John Stricker
GS Jon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GS JonClick Here to visit GS Jon's HomePageSend a Private Message to GS JonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, your pathetic attempts to prove some sort of superiority over others is what led me to ask Cliff to move this thread to the trashcan. So good job troll, you trashed another.

I bet your momma's really proud of you!
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[I have no opinion about why you want to sell]

I would probably offer about 2K for it all. (and thats being generious)

I just purchased a 1997 GTP [Grand Prix] for 400 and it runs/drives real good.

I got a 1988 Formula last year, with a newly rebuilt engine --and it has t-tops (CJB). I paid 600.

Thats the problem with older pontiacs, The things are such bargains, you'll never get your money back from them

I paid in both cases what the OWNERS asked. I didnt low ball either.

[This message has been edited by htexans1 (edited 05-23-2010).]

GS Jon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GS JonClick Here to visit GS Jon's HomePageSend a Private Message to GS JonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the opinion, much appreciated.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
$27.50 and I will let you drive the car to me along with haul all the parts up this way. I will take you to lunch but you will have to pay but I will drive, that is if the car I just bought from you is driveable.....;Let me know if you are interested........

GS Jon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GS JonClick Here to visit GS Jon's HomePageSend a Private Message to GS JonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

$27.50 and I will let you drive the car to me along with haul all the parts up this way. I will take you to lunch but you will have to pay but I will drive, that is if the car I just bought from you is driveable.....;Let me know if you are interested........

I just gotta laugh at this, at least you had enough common sense to use real humor to poke at me with.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock