Started on: 07-26-2004 01:17 AM
Replies: 283 (7656 views)
Last post by: FieroGTguy on 09-30-2004 01:06 AM
Master Tuner Akimoto

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post08-29-2004 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go for it Earl kick some Ass-phalt and represent the 4.9 crowd
IP: Logged
86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2004 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The Punisher:

Today is sunday. Are you willing to do it right now? I can call my buddy and see if he is available.

Meet halfway inbetween.

My buddies car.

88 Formula 5 spd.
80k mile stock "tired" 2.8 This one is pretty tired actually so you might have a chance.

I can only assume you run an auto tranny. Is this correct?

Also since you live in Orlando I am sure there is a drastrip right there. What did you run?

The tranny in my car is no big deal all im saying is it is a 50k mile tired 4.9 Biffilo drag strip closes at 9pm on sundays but open all weekday and there's lots of action on weekends....

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2004 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jstricker:

The first (and only) time we ran the Finale with the 4.9 we ran a 14.81@ ~100 mph.

I'd like to see times for that car when you get the chip straightened out. You've got the MPH for mid 13's. The engine was mechanically stock and just had Rockcrawl's chip, right?
My Northstar ran a 13.2 at 102 its first time at the strip. If you can hook up a 1.7x sixty foot as I've heard of 4.9/autos doing, you should be able to hit 13's EASILY and probably be mid 13's.

------------------
Punch the gas and feel the back step sideways; rip off a powershift and hear the tires punished by torque; downshift, lift off and feel the engine braking that only comes from big cubes, listen to the pop and gurgle. Know that you are driving an American V8. There are finer engines made, but none that are this cool.

Luck, Fate and Destiny are words used by those who lack the courage to define their own future

Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-29-2004 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[B]Originally posted by The Punisher

Edit:

you have yet to mention 4 bolts on made by aftermarket companies other then nitrous.

[This message has been edited by Master Tuner Akimoto (edited 08-29-2004).]

The Punisher

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 433
User Banned

Report this Post08-29-2004 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The PunisherSend a Private Message to The PunisherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So you never took your car to the track? I just did a search. What about Orlando speedworld? I am guessing you never ran your car there either?

Let me guess you are only one of those "I race on the track only except when a civic is next to me" kind of guy. I know you have worked it hard on the street before with a slower car next to you. Why not again? Its sunday night. Dont' need to go to the dragstrip. Do it now.

Well if you aren't going to disclose what you have done on yoru car then I am not going to waste my freinds time. I was hoping for a stock auto 4.9 vs a nitrous fed 2.8 since this is what it was all about to begin with.

Oh well

[This message has been edited by The Punisher (edited 08-29-2004).]

The Punisher

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-29-2004 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The PunisherSend a Private Message to The PunisherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The Punisher

1253 posts
Member since Jul 2004

Originally posted by Master Tuner Akimoto:

Sorry thats a GM peice not an aftermarket peice. Try again.l

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2004 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
4 bolt ons

Holley carb

Advance recurve kit accell or mr gasket

MSD ignition box

Flowmaster 2 1/2 inch diamater ....... Entire exhaust system including headers ceramic coated <-------- I wont count the ceramic coating as a bolt on.

79 TA turbo I wont add this to the bolt on list.

dodge ram cold air intake mod.
after that alot is actually do it yourself work.

The Punisher

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-29-2004 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The PunisherSend a Private Message to The PunisherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Specific Bolt ons to the 4.9.. The stuff you listed are generic speed parts.

Edlebrock intake
aftermarket cam
headers

anything??? I thought not...

Lets setup a race and put an end to the debate

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2004 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So you never took your car to the track? I just did a search. What about Orlando speedworld? I am guessing you never ran your car there either?

Let me guess you are only one of those "I race on the track only except when a civic is next to me" kind of guy. I know you have worked it hard on the street before with a slower car next to you. Why not again? Its sunday night. Dont' need to go to the dragstrip. Do it now.

Well if you aren't going to disclose what you have done on yoru car then I am not going to waste my freinds time. I was hoping for a stock auto 4.9 vs a nitrous fed 2.8 since this is what it was all about to begin with.

Oh well

Speedworld has a schedule... So you can't just walk in and say your racing..... You never asked me what I did to my 4.9 you only said a tired 2.8 can beat me and you called me out........ Im answering the call out, If your friend only lives 1 hour away I can make a time at the biffilo track for us to do 2 runs. I anwered your pm saying available on weekends but I can reserve a day off from work for this if need be. It would be no fun if I told you what was done to my 4.9..... I only want to race it if on the street then loser pays speeding fine and fills up the winners tank.

I want to make this fair a light to light race is really in your disavantage such a short distance.... Now I-4 from haiwasse to kirkman is a bit over 1/4th miles but close. I wanna see HP and Torc screeming at top speeds

If he wins then I will state that you were right and you are da man and take back calling you a troll and ignorant...... But if I win there's no hard feelings.... Were all fiero ppl. I will be only happy that I proved the 4.9 can actually be made to proforming with decent times with a little work.

Or can your friend make it to the thursday fiero meeting?

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 08-29-2004).]

The Punisher

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-29-2004 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The PunisherSend a Private Message to The PunisherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey this is Shaun. I own the 88. Looks like jon was talking some game for me.

but yea I am down with racing you. I suggest we do it when there is little traffic. Maybe even take it to teh freeway to make it safe and allow safe speeds faster then 60 mph.

Maybe meet up around deland somewhere at an exit, and hit up I4 and go from a slow roll. That will allow us to really get a good feel of which car is faster and show the powerbands of the cars

I think it would be fun and good freindly competition. Monday night sounds good. Maybe get someone there who can record it so it can be posted here on the forum.

I am the one with the old 85 Gt that had a 70 shot that ran a 14.1 on a 1.8 60 foot. Car was fairly decent I guess. But yes it was only a 70 shot not a 100 shot on an internally stock 2.8

PM me your phone number. I will give you a call and we can work something out.

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2004 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I would bolt on a Holley 670cfm Pro-jection stand alone 2 barrel TBI system on that manifold... You can find them easily on ebay for around $500 complete..... better than running the stock tbi and computer.

PFF
System Bot
86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2004 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Master Tuner Akimoto:

I still need to get that done to mine

donk316

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
User Banned

Report this Post08-29-2004 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donk316Send a Private Message to donk316Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86fieroEarl:

I still need to get that done to mine

The fuel distribution on that thing must be horrid. Some lean, some rich... Geez you guys, why even bother with this motor? I really dont get it. The amount of time and energy and money and weight you guys are wasting blows my mind.

Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-29-2004 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by donk316:

The fuel distribution on that thing must be horrid. Some lean, some rich... Geez you guys, why even bother with this motor? I really dont get it. The amount of time and energy and money and weight you guys are wasting blows my mind.

Just out of curiosity what motor are you running in your car ?
Have you ever had one of these in your car to evaluate it's performance?
Which motor do you recommend to put in my car that you think is the best swap?

Just curious so I would like to hear from you what you think.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2004 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One key factor in ET's is the FDR. The Cadillac 4T60E trannys typically had la ow numeric FDR like 2.73. THis ratio may be great for highway crusing but not optimal for drag racing. LOcate a 4T60E w a 3.33:1 FDR and my prediction is that your 4.9L will "blast off". The question then becomes, do we have any revs left at the end of the 1/4 mile w the 4.9L using the 3.33 FDR.
BTW, PBJ is achieving great performance with a Turbocharged 4.9L not a stock engine. As you might guess turbocharging makes a huge difference in horsepower as PBJ's low 12 ET's show.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo Best 0-60 5.2 seconds
http://www.turbochargerpower.com/turbo.htm

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2004 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If I was doing a 4.9 swap, I would bolt on this puppy. More flow and easily adjustable for best performance. The factory setup is hard to work with.

[This message has been edited by MaxCubes (edited 08-30-2004).]

Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2004 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PBJ:

I would say if you want a drag car then don't go 4.9. But my wife has well over 250 1/4 mile passes on her 4.9 while other 3800 sc have broken before reaching what she is producing on the track. Also sbc 350 are complaining about traction or tranies or I could have done better if I tried.......

So please, the stock engine bashing is really lame

Pete

I agree that bashing stock engines is lame, but I really wish the bashing of the 3800SC's breaking all the time would cease as well. Where did this rumor come from anyway? Just because 1 or 2 people here with 3800's are breaking "all the time" doesn't mean that ALL 3800's break. The same goes with 4.9 swaps: just because most do 15's or 14's doesn't mean all are "slow".

Vonov

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2004 03:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yo, Punisher (Jon) ...I have one question. If you're gonna talk so much smack, why is it that your BUDDY's car is the one you want to put up against the 4.9??? Are you even old enough to have a license? Because this sure sounds like high school (or maybe junior high) to me...
Inquiring minds want to know...

[This message has been edited by Vonov (edited 08-30-2004).]

Lex

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 217
User Banned

Report this Post08-30-2004 03:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LexClick Here to visit Lex's HomePageSend a Private Message to LexEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vonov:

Yo, Punisher (Jon) ...I have one question. If you're gonna talk so much smack, why is it that your BUDDY's car is the one you want to put up against the 4.9???

If you go back and read real carefull I'll bet you can figure it out....

HINT: 86fieroEarl and his "buddy" are both in FL.

JM, did the saab 6spd ever work out? It'd be a nice compliment to that northstar of yours.

[This message has been edited by Lex (edited 08-30-2004).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2004 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sorry thats a GM peice not an aftermarket peice. Try again.

It's a GM piece that's been modified. I bet MTA would make one for you if you gave him some money. Sounds like an aftermarket part to me...

Specific Bolt ons to the 4.9.. The stuff you listed are generic speed parts.

now, now... let's not split hairs.

Lets setup a race and put an end to the debate

I agree.

------------------
Punch the gas and feel the back step sideways; rip off a powershift and hear the tires punished by torque; downshift, lift off and feel the engine braking that only comes from big cubes, listen to the pop and gurgle. Know that you are driving an American V8. There are finer engines made, but none that are this cool.

Luck, Fate and Destiny are words used by those who lack the courage to define their own future

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 08-30-2004).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2004 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Will

14226 posts
Member since Jun 2000

Originally posted by MaxCubes:

If I was doing a 4.9 swap, I would bolt on this puppy. More flow and easily adjustable for best performance. The factory setup is hard to work with.

I'd maybe use the aftermarket throttle body, but I'd stick with the GM computer. MUCH better tuning possibilities.
Or I could just not worry about it sine I have an Allante intake sitting on the shelf in the shed...

------------------

PFF
System Bot
86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2004 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

One key factor in ET's is the FDR. The Cadillac 4T60E trannys typically had la ow numeric FDR like 2.73. THis ratio may be great for highway crusing but not optimal for drag racing. LOcate a 4T60E w a 3.33:1 FDR and my prediction is that your 4.9L will "blast off". The question then becomes, do we have any revs left at the end of the 1/4 mile w the 4.9L using the 3.33 FDR.
BTW, PBJ is achieving great performance with a Turbocharged 4.9L not a stock engine. As you might guess turbocharging makes a huge difference in horsepower as PBJ's low 12 ET's show.

Yulp the you hit the nail on the head there.... Most caddy trannies is geared like that........ My th-440 was geared like that.... After going through the mess of putting a broken 3:33 Final drive th-440 I decided to take the TC off of the broke one (2000 stall speed) and put it on the one that worked with the 2:73 and the results were...... Very awsome since the broken tranny was newer then the one that was in the car. Alot of the 2.73 gear ratio caddy trannies only have the 1500 rpm stall speed TC.

The results were faster launching and shifting at 4500 Rpm from first gear.... Thats what I wanted and the reves is kept down on the highway also..... If it was not for the hard downshift problem I have with it then I would of kept this unit inside the car.

So a little pointer to anyone using a high FD caddy tranny.... You might want to consider getting a higher stall speed TC.

NY_FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2004 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NY_FIEROClick Here to visit NY_FIERO's HomePageSend a Private Message to NY_FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now that we have the attention of some of the best PFI tuners.. I have a few questions...
I had a 49 caddy givven to me.. the car runs great and has for along time (it was my brothers) .
I plan on doing this swap but I have a stick (4 spd 86 SE v6).

Here go the questions.... Sent to 4.9 informed individuals.. not flamers...

1. Will the grearing be good? ( I care-not about MPG as it is not a daily driver and I work for XOM)
2. I am not a dragster and the car will never see a strip.. but what type 1/4 mile can I expect...
3. what are the best mounts.. I believe 86fieroEarlhas some mounts in the mall...

NY_FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2004 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NY_FIEROClick Here to visit NY_FIERO's HomePageSend a Private Message to NY_FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

NY_FIERO

1554 posts
Member since May 2002
HMM I got the attention of the masters and they are already sick of my questions (hehe I'm just kidding)
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2004 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't have the 4.9 but I do have the 3.65 Muncie 4 speed. I think that is your tranny.

The tranny is the quickest combo for 1.4 mi. time and that is well documented for the 2.8.

The real problem potentially is that your final gearing is not great for highway.

I am doing about 3,000 rpm at freeway speeds, 65-70.

That will be a bit of a gas hog with a 4.9.

With the 4.9 it will really go! It will absolutely blast off.

Good luck! and congratulations.

Arn

The Punisher

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-30-2004 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The PunisherSend a Private Message to The PunisherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried calling you Earl. I am ready to do this. Get this thing settled once and for all. Check your voicemail.
Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2004 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I tried calling you Earl. I am ready to do this. Get this thing settled once and for all. Check your voicemail.

I'll race him when I come that way for the fantasy of flight cruise in.

Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-30-2004 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If any thing's left of him I want a piece too(vulcher)
The Punisher

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-30-2004 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The PunisherSend a Private Message to The PunisherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Black-Azz-GT:

I'll race him when I come that way for the fantasy of flight cruise in.

Thats fine with me. You can lose too. however I think you plan to have an ace up your sleeve. You did mention saying that you would rather overnight a nitrous kit just to make sure you wouldnt' lose to a 2.8. You are one of those people that prob think a "v8 engine can never lose to something smaller" mentality. all I can say is bring it on.

Master: Off the bottle it would be a close race. With you on the bottle I wouldnt' even bother. I know what you run.

SH

Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2004 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thats fine with me. You can lose too. however I think you plan to have an ace up your sleeve. You did mention saying that you would rather overnight a nitrous kit just to make sure you wouldnt' lose to a 2.8. You are one of those people that prob think a "v8 engine can never lose to something smaller" mentality. all I can say is bring it on.

Master: Off the bottle it would be a close race. With you on the bottle I wouldnt' even bother. I know what you run.

SH

Dude, your a looser. People that assume in life generaly loose in life. You assume that I think, "a "v8 engine can never lose to something smaller" when you're the one that is cramming down everyone's throat that your NOS breathing 2.8 is they way to go compared to an over priced 4.9 install." Seems to me like you're that guy that is "never wrong".

My passion in life has always been cars. I like Imports and domestic. I've had FAST cars, quick cars and cars I thought were fast because that is all I could afford.
I've had lots of cars including 3 fieros, 92 MR2 Turbo, 2 Berettas, Grand Prix, 2 Mustangs plus more. Now at 26, I have a VTEC V6 Accord EX and a V8 Fiero. The fiero is my acheivable dream car. Why did I get a 4.9? Because I cant afford a SBC. I know cars. Im not some chump that thinks he does. So I guess you assumed wrong, again.

So, do you still assume that I will loose?

------------------
-Chris -
Custom Gun Metal 86 GT 4.9 V8 5spd

Build up tread or MODS w/ Pics

[This message has been edited by Black-Azz-GT (edited 08-30-2004).]

NY_FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2004 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NY_FIEROClick Here to visit NY_FIERO's HomePageSend a Private Message to NY_FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let The Punishment begin...
After all........... just his attitude he has projected in the last 4 threads deserves a negative from me....
So.......... you can spray a rod-knockin' 6 banger and get a whoping 200 rwhp out of it for 5 seconds WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow that's a REAL tuner eh' ?
My brothers here laughing about it.....
Do you want to race him as well?

[This message has been edited by NY_FIERO (edited 08-31-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2004 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NY_FIERO:

Let The Punisment begin...
After all........... just his attitude he has projected in the last 4 threads deserves a negative from me....
So.......... you can spray a rod-knokin' 6 banger and get a whoping 200 rwhp out of it for 5 seconds WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow that's a REAL tuner eh' ?
My brothers here laughing about it.....
Do you want to race him as well?

+ for you on that one, even thought you are from NY

NY_FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2004 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NY_FIEROClick Here to visit NY_FIERO's HomePageSend a Private Message to NY_FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kento You were refered to me by another member...
I need some info on a flywheel to put a pfi into my 4spd 86 SE..
what do I need?

I'm not from nyc I live in central ny...

I guess my "all caps"
signature makes me look like a NYC punk
hehehe
oh yeah I just gave you a plus...
lookat that rating bar!!!
your "cup over-floweth!!"
hehehe

[This message has been edited by NY_FIERO (edited 08-30-2004).]

The Punisher

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-30-2004 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The PunisherSend a Private Message to The PunisherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Black-Azz-GT:

Dude, your a looser. People that assume in life generaly loose in life. You assume that I think, "a "v8 engine can never lose to something smaller" when you're the one that is cramming down everyone's throat that your NOS breathing 2.8 is they way to go compared to an over priced 4.9 install." Seems to me like you're that guy that is "never wrong".

Thanks for the compliment. However I am not assuming anything. Plus you only said generally. I guess I am an exception. I must be blessed by god. I know I am going to beat Earls 4.9. I am looking to have fun but at the same time some people need to realize that this swap isn't all its cracked up to be. I am not saying that putting nitrous on a 2.8 is the way to go. I am just saying its faster then spending $2500 to install a 4.9 thats all. From a dollar to performance issue its not even a smart choice. And btw, when it comes to taking my "tired" 2.8 with nitrous up against a fairly stock auto 4.9, I know that I am not wrong. Its simple really. Some people are just too blinded to know what teh truth is.

Why did I get a 4.9? Because I cant afford a SBC. I know cars. Im not some chump that thinks he does.

So, do you still assume that I will loose?

You know if you just waited and saved a little longer you could have had the sbc.

And thats great that you have had all those cars. I am very proud of you.

Want to know whats funny? Is that after you get done with your 4.9 swap, is that if you go and race your accord, you will lose to it from a roll.

And I am not assuming you will lose if I race you, I know you will lose be it you dont' haev any major engine work done to it IE nitrous. Its simple really. You dont' haev much for a power curve with that 4.9. Its not much about peak numbers, its about the curve. And I will say my curve on nitrous is brutal compared to a 4.9.

Its simple really. When you get your 4.9 swap done, drive it on up to central florida. I will shake your hand and we can go race and you can buy me a victory beer afterwards. I have no problem with you. I just have a problem with people thinking this swap is the cats pajamas. Its not. Everyone has posted high 14's at the track with a 4.9 and auto tranny and fairly stock motor.

NyFiero. I could care less about your brother. And yup this rod knockin 6 banger is going to beat a v8 fiero. But I geuss the real tuner to you is the person who installs a 4.9 right? When you get done with your 4.9 bring it on down and I will run you too. I have no problem using a pound of nitrous to hand it to you as well. wouldnt' it be funny if I beat you with a rod knocking 2.8? Oh my how would you be able to live with the shame? Go back home to say you got beat by a rod knocking v6. I don't think you would ever be able to get another g/f again.

[This message has been edited by The Punisher (edited 08-31-2004).]

Black88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2004 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black88GTSend a Private Message to Black88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 4.9 was made to haul old fat people around in their 5,000 lb Caddy's. It is far from a race motor.
jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2004 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Our transmission has the 2.97 FDR and it's very strong out of the hole, just hits the rev limiter before it shifts.

John Stricker

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Lex

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 217
User Banned

Report this Post08-30-2004 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LexClick Here to visit Lex's HomePageSend a Private Message to LexEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Black88GT:

The 4.9 was made to haul old fat people around in their 5,000 lb Caddy's. It is far from a race motor.

LOL!

Mastermind

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 207
User Banned

Report this Post08-31-2004 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MastermindSend a Private Message to MastermindEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Black88GT:

In otherwords, it was made to haul azz. But I already know that since I own one.

BTW Certain members hate 4.9s as if they got embarrassed by one still in a big Caddy.

[This message has been edited by Mastermind (edited 08-31-2004).]

Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK guy's with my bad luck in July (when through 2 4.9's) I now have a 4.5 PFI with an Allante intake on it connected to a 5 Speed Getrag on our 88. We went to the track to get times on the car. I ran consistant at 14.2 and 96 MPH on my timed runs. My son made the last run and ran a 14.001 @ 98.25 MPH and this is with the car not able to pull all the way to 5500 rpm. The engine is stock as it came from the factory with the Allante Intake added by me. We have a Rockcrawl chip and no cat (Idaho doesn't have Smog yet) 2.5" into a 3" Y pipe into an excelerator 3" in 2 2.5's out. To me the car doesn't seem to have as much pull as the 4.9 had before I broke it.

I do have the slips for the runs.

Joe Sokol
85 SE 2.8 V6 5 Speed
88 Formula/GT 5 Speed 4.5 PFI Caddy with an Allante Intake

Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NY_FIERO:

Kento You were refered to me by another member...
I need some info on a flywheel to put a pfi into my 4spd 86 SE..
what do I need?

I'm not from nyc I live in central ny...

I guess my "all caps"
signature makes me look like a NYC punk
hehehe
oh yeah I just gave you a plus...
lookat that rating bar!!!
your "cup over-floweth!!"
hehehe

PM Sent and I lived in Schenectady when I was a Kid :-)

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock