Started on: 03-17-2024 12:00 PM
Replies: 12 (113 views)
Last post by: maryjane on 03-22-2024 07:12 PM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2024 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1. I didn't intentionally buy this device. It came with the implanted generator package in my back and it's to control that generator's out put and turn it on and off if need be. You can see that bit of stuff here:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/.../116183-13.html#p497

2. But, the phone is loaded with all kinds of other apps and it takes really great pictures. Alas, no sim card. And I have no idea how to get pictures off the phone and on to my laptop, as it came with only a charger and charge cord but neither end of the cord is USB.

Is there a way I can get an adapter of some kind to transfer pics and vids off the Apple device and on to my laptop?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2024 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You need a cable like this:
https://www.apple.com/shop/...ing-to-usb-cable-2-m

You may also need to install the Apple drivers on your laptop depending on the operating system.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 03-17-2024).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2024 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you! I will look in to that cable but there's an asterisk on the overview description. Down below it explains:

*Does not support audio or video output.

So.. it will only transfer still photos and no sound?

And, am I correct in assuming that because this phone has no sim card, that I cannot use it as I would any other phone. No way to send a text message to my laptops with photos as an attachment and that it would also have no internet connection capability?

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 03-17-2024).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2024 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The cable is for charging and also transfering photos/video. The warning they post is that people think they buy this cable and then stream live video or audio through it to a television, like an HDMI adapter. It's just to transfer data to and from your phone so you'll be fine.

If you have no sim card, the only way to get internet is through wifi if you have a cable provider at home. You open up the "settings" icon and select the "wifi" tab and connect to your wifi that way.
For actual text messages through the phone, you'll need a sim card for that.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2024 04:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you. I have wifi here.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2024 06:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:
If you have no sim card, the only way to get internet is through wifi if you have a cable provider at home. You open up the "settings" icon and select the "wifi" tab and connect to your wifi that way.
For actual text messages through the phone, you'll need a sim card for that.

Although I'm not that familiar with iphones, I think you should also be able to do the "meeting" apps, like Skype, if you're into that sort of thing.
Basically, any app that doesn't require a phone number.

We killed cell service on our tablets, since we seldom took them out of the house. I'm surprised what I can still do over wi-fi. Strangely enough, mine still links my text messages that my phone receives.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2024 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Until very recently we used a little jetpack (Verizon) for wifi. Portability was nice when we traveled But, I got tired of the throttling they did on my so called 'unlimited' data plan. After about 15gb,I got a notice saying I would have slower data speeds until the start of the next billing cycle & it slowed way down to the point that if we were both on our laptops, it was so slow I thought I was back on dial up. I upgraded and we now use a Verizon modem and it works great, with no limit or slowdown but it's not portable beyond our home. Won't affect my wife's smart phone or my old flip phone much but the days of me taking my laptop somewhere like back East to visit my sisters in E Texas and using my service are over with.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2024 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Greetings

If you want to transfer a lot of pics and videos, I recommend using this type of cable:
LINK

it allows you to copy all of your pics and videos directly to a usb as the target, and you will end up with your files, not just thumbnails of some of them.
It takes longer, but it works.

You CAN just plug in your phone via the USB, to copy small amounts of files but if you have thousands of pics and hundreds of videos, it’s more reliable using that cable I posted above.

I would do this backup monthly, not wait till the number of files are a lot and/or you are close to filling up your phone. An “almost full” phone is not fun to try to get files off of it.

On your new phone, set the file type to “most comparable”, so you end up with .mov and .jpg, not the .heic stuff.

YMMV, but that cable is easier and avoids all the times you will spend a day trying to get the files off because the copying failed at 97%, then you uninstall and reinstall drivers and other agita stuff.

I sometimes use the regular USB cable, but when a user brings me a phone they haven’t copied the stuff off for three years, that other cable is so much easier- and I can hand them a USB of their stuff instead of having to deal with coping it over to them some other way…

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 03-18-2024).]

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2024 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TheDigitalAlchemist

12453 posts
Member since Jan 2012
Not sure what was said regarding the SIM, but you should be able to get an eSIM for that phone…
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2024 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TheDigitalAlchemist

12453 posts
Member since Jan 2012
Is the other end of the cable you got USB-C? You could get an adapter- USB-C female to standard USB male.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2024 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

Is the other end of the cable you got USB-C? You could get an adapter- USB-C female to standard USB male.

I have no idea. Both ends are very small. The larger end (on the left) plugs into the wall outlet thingie and the smaller one with the label into the iPhone..

Not terribly concerned about the sim card. No one actually told me much about the phone but if I understand the SCS universe as it unfolds, they (Abbott and Boston Scientific) don't really want this iPhone to have full connectivity because of the proprietary software that controls my SCS implant device. If stolen, I am to report it immediately to Abbott. I don't really understand all of it other than how to increase or decrease the intensity and or duration of the pulses but there are also ways within the software to get it and me thru airport screenings and make it more (but not 100%) MRI safe.
I just wanna be able to use the phone for it's camera and get the pics off the phone and onto my laptop. (because I'm just too frugal (cheap) to buy a decent smart phone...MY daily use phone is a Kyocera flip phone)

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 03-22-2024).]

PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2024 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I have no idea. Both ends are very small. The larger end (on the left) plugs into the wall outlet thingie and the smaller one with the label into the iPhone..

Not terribly concerned about the sim card. No one actually told me much about the phone but if I understand the SCS universe as it unfolds, they (Abbott and Boston Scientific) don't really want this iPhone to have full connectivity because of the proprietary software that controls my SCS implant device. If stolen, I am to report it immediately to Abbott. I don't really understand all of it other than how to increase or decrease the intensity and or duration of the pulses but there are also ways within the software to get it and me thru airport screenings and make it more (but not 100%) MRI safe.
I just wanna be able to use the phone for it's camera and get the pics off the phone and onto my laptop. (because I'm just too frugal (cheap) to buy a decent smart phone...MY daily use phone is a Kyocera flip phone)

Here is a USB C to USB A converter if you just want the converter for your existing cable.
https://shorturl.at/hiuEJ

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 03-22-2024).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2024 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks all. Surely even I can get at least one of the suggestions to work.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock