Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Can Canada be depended on in a crisis? (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Can Canada be depended on in a crisis? by blackrams
Started on: 01-25-2023 06:50 AM
Replies: 87 (1137 views)
Last post by: Valkrie9 on 02-22-2023 05:31 AM
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2023 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
But, to Don's point about Canada giving up 7/16th of a tank;

Canada to Send Four Tanks to Ukraine, With More Possible Later
https://www.msn.com/en-us/n...449c8ce4c9ca39a71e2d
Rams
IP: Logged
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post01-26-2023 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We will send the 7/16th....but damned if anybody is gettin their hands on our 10mm's !!!
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2023 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since this discussion has slipped over into tanks and armored warfare doctrine I'll just say for the record that I believe that the Leopard 2, (A5, A6 and A7) are superior to the M1 Abrams in many important respects and every bit it's equal in all others.

I'll also say that the Ukrainians, having blunted and stopped the Russian and Belorussian advances, have already proven that they DO NOT need an influx of tanks for defensive purposes. If anyone doubted the efficacy of anti-armor missiles on the modern battlefield, the Ukrainians have put those doubts to rest.

My view is that their intent is to mount offensive operations, especially in the Donbas and Crimea, to retake (and take) Russian held territory.

Just an old CAV tanker's $0.02 worth....
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2023 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

Since this discussion has slipped over into tanks and armored warfare doctrine I'll just say for the record that I believe that the Leopard 2, (A5, A6 and A7) are superior to the M1 Abrams in many important respects and every bit it's equal in all others.

I'll also say that the Ukrainians, having blunted and stopped the Russian and Belorussian advances, have already proven that they DO NOT need an influx of tanks for defensive purposes. If anyone doubted the efficacy of anti-armor missiles on the modern battlefield, the Ukrainians have put those doubts to rest.

My view is that their intent is to mount offensive operations, especially in the Donbas and Crimea, to retake (and take) Russian held territory.

Just an old CAV tanker's $0.02 worth....

Not qualified to suggest anything about tanks but, I agree with your opinion on what the Ukrainians have planned to do with those tanks. Now, they are asking for F16s.
Personally speaking, I hope the Ukrainians stop at their former borders because it could get real ugly, real fast should they push into Mother Russia.

I won't be surprised to see Putin disappear.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 01-26-2023).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-27-2023 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Rams

I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of things disappear the way things are going. In a radioactive cloud.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2023 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not qualified to suggest anything about tanks but, I agree with your opinion on what the Ukrainians have planned to do with those tanks. Now, they are asking for F16s.
Personally speaking, I hope the Ukrainians stop at their former borders because it could get real ugly, real fast should they push into Mother Russia.

Rams

That's an interesting thought... wouldn't surprise me. Do you think they might try to even take back Crimea and land beyond what was taken in 2022? Or do you mean even beyond that...
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2023 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2023 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/pol...ile-system-1.6709115
17 days ago

That's pretty cool. Although, being honest I wonder if, Canada is really paying that or did Biden pull another swift one.............

Rams
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2023 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

blackrams

31839 posts
Member since Feb 2003

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
That's an interesting thought... wouldn't surprise me. Do you think they might try to even take back Crimea and land beyond what was taken in 2022? Or do you mean even beyond that...

Given the support, I have no doubt Ukraine will try to take back every acre that Putin/Russia now claims. Doing so will require Ukraine to strike logistics centers and bases/roads and bridges within Mother Russia itself but, should restrain from all out invasion in that would cause a retaliation of much greater consequences.
None of us want those greater consequences...........

Rams
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2023 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Given the support, I have no doubt Ukraine will try to take back every acre that Putin/Russia now claims. Doing so will require Ukraine to strike logistics centers and bases/roads and bridges within Mother Russia itself but, should restrain from all out invasion in that would cause a retaliation of much greater consequences.
None of us want those greater consequences...........

Rams

To be clear, I want Russia to lose. I have to make that clear or people will make assumptions.

But if I was Russia, I'd be pretty pissed at this point... and probably would have escalated it to the point where I'd probably be striking U.S. assets and threatening nuclear war more seriously.

But of course... if I was Putin, I'd never have joined the KGB, probably would have fled to the United States, and if I didn't... I'd denounce communism and open free trade to the world, etc... but that's just me.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-27-2023 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
To be clear, I want Russia to lose. I have to make that clear or people will make assumptions.

But if I was Russia, I'd be pretty pissed at this point... and probably would have escalated it to the point where I'd probably be striking U.S. assets and threatening nuclear war more seriously.

But of course... if I was Putin, I'd never have joined the KGB, probably would have fled to the United States, and if I didn't... I'd denounce communism and open free trade to the world, etc... but that's just me.

Russia WONT loose. Pride wont let them.

If they do loose on the battlefield, it's launch time.

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2023 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Although, being honest I wonder if, Canada is really paying that or did Biden pull another swift one.............

Ron, I get it, you don't like Joe Biden... but that comment is disrespectful and dismissive of Canada's desire to assist Ukraine.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2023 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Ron, I get it, you don't like Joe Biden... but that comment is disrespectful and dismissive of Canada's desire to assist Ukraine.

Sir, I can see how you would take it that way but, my comment is based on how the Canadian Government has addressed its military needs versus their agreed to NATO membership requirements. And the known way that Biden does things. Again, working off the provided article and a bit of research, Canada hasn't spent anywhere near the 2% GDP it agreed to spend. Also, it's not a matter of liking President Biden, I don't like former President Trump but, DJT at least earned my respect for the policies he put in place. The only thing President Biden has done is give away money and invite aliens to cross the border. Which is why I suspect that in some way, the US is paying for those donated weapons.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 01-28-2023).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2023 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Canada hasn't spent anywhere near the 2% GDP it agreed to spend.

And neither have 19 other NATO countries, out of a total of 30.

It might also be worthwhile to mention that of the 30 countries, Canada is 6th highest in regards to NATO defense expenditures.

So maybe you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss what Canada contributes to the alliance. Especially considering our population size, we're doing alright.

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2023 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An excellent point. All I can say is, the article that started this thread only addressed Canada and its military expenditures and you just happen to be from Canada.

Rams
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2023 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

So maybe you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss what Canada contributes to the alliance.

That's right, some REMF has to provide the donuts.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2023 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

That's right, some REMF has to provide the donuts.

Nice acronym. Here's one in return, you POS.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-27-2023 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2023 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

https://torontosun.com/opin...rs-who-needs-enemies

Well, that's a bit condemning but, there's always two sides to every story.

Surely there's a counter to this?

Rams

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2023 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well, that's a bit condemning but, there's always two sides to every story.

Surely there's a counter to this?

Rams

Yes, they're also sending a dozen donuts along with every old 3rd hand, used up, obsolete tank.

They were obsolete when the Canuks bought them used from the Dutch back in 2003. The Canuks never seriously upgraded and never maintained them like they were supposed to. They're basically so bad and old now that they're not even usable for reserve forces training.

A short platoon of them is useless.

Lets hope that at least the donuts are fresher.....

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 01-27-2023).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2023 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

randye, were you at one time relevant? If so, you've certainly passed your best-before date.
PFF
System Bot
Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2023 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Imported Deutsche Machines
Holy Roller
When it gets real... global.
Canadian Crimean Russian Cannons.
So, like, yeah, the Kursk tank battle to come this summer, will be hot.

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-28-2023 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd be real careful accepting donuts from Ottawa.

Never know WHAT Justin and his pals have been playing pole-pitch with !!!
Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2023 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

-50 C.
Cold enough to freeze a Bison's nuts.
Brrrr !
Canadians, hardy, rough, tough denizens of far-off polar regions, near you.
It's nicer in the summer.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2023 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Valkrie9:

Canadians, hardy, rough, tough denizens of far-off polar regions, near you.

That was actually a pretty interesting video. Quite impressed by the "throw" of that snow blower!
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-28-2023 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya know you are in Canada when they put on snowmobile gear and head to the beach for a BBQ and beer.
Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2023 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2023 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Valkrie9

1393 posts
Member since Jan 2021
Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2023 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Valkrie9

1393 posts
Member since Jan 2021

WW III, coming soon to a theater near you !
Leopard I

Kursk
So, like, four more to be molten into monuments of Russian imperialism.
Strategic Air Command's General Curtis E. LeMay.
Northrop YB- 49 in 1949
The spear to hunt the bear in it's cave.

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-31-2023 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a better question on this one...

Why is it our problem ?

Since WW1, hundred years, we have been going to Europe to solve their problems for them.

Isnt it time to tell them, sort it out yourselves ?

NOT our problem.
Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2023 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CNR Railway Crossroads
Avro Canada CF-105 Arrow
Iroquois Engine.
Malton, Victory Aircraft.
So, yeah, we could do it all over again.
Might have to, because of that imbecile, you know, you know, the chronic liar, plagiarist, and a demented drooler.
' May you live in interesting times.' ~ Confucious
' There are times of great danger and certain war, but they are also the most creative of times in the history of conflict. '

Doh !
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2023 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Valkrie9:

Avro Canada CF-105 Arrow

I don't know whether to feel proud... or cry... whenever I read/watch something about the Avro Arrow.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-14-2023).]

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2023 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2023 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

No.

Like you'd have any freakin' idea.

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2023 06:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The Arrow is one of aviation’s best known ‘what if’ aircraft.

Quoted from the linked article.

Nothing wrong with being proud of past accomplishments. The "Arrow" had great potential (We think).

But, that was back in the 50s and doesn't represent squat about pulling your weight now with today's challenges. Just say'n.

Rams
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2023 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm expecting that Patrick will "fold" as soon as the first Russian T-90 reaches his neighborhood.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2023 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-15-2023 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Now THERE is something for the next trucker convoy.

Screw the bouncy castles, we have bouncy TANKS.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2023 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

Now THERE is something for the next trucker convoy.

Screw the bouncy castles, we have bouncy TANKS.

Joe would just shoot it.
Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2023 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wouldah, couldah, shouldah.
Why, if it wasn't for the deceptive advice the Chief had whispered in his ear, we would still be selling Avro Arrows all across the world.
Those sneaky Russian bastages.
They were commies then, like the Chinese are today, still.
' Rule the world, your masters, because communism is stronger than you ! '
Yep, gonna have to get all nasty, all over again.
Say, nuke'em if they invade Taiwan, for openers.
Yep, that would get the attention of the survivors in Bejing.
1.2 Billion pla surrender their weapons, because star war lasers zap'em from space.
Bzzzt.. ffftt !

In the future, they keep trying.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay