Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Post your favorite aircraft here. (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Post your favorite aircraft here. by The_Stickman2
Started on: 12-31-2007 08:28 PM
Replies: 98
Last post by: fieroturbo on 01-06-2008 01:06 AM
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2008 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieromaniac:

russian ekranoplane aka kaspian seemonster

Wow, would that thing actually fly? I did a little research on it, I saw where it's potential capabilites were being discussed but didn't see where it was successfully proven. Looks like they built some proto-types but................................................

------------------
Ron

It's the Soldier, not the reporter
Who has given us the freedom of the press.
It's the Soldier, not the poet,
Who has given us the freedom of speech.
It's the Soldier, not the politicians
That ensures our right to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.
It's the Soldier who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag.

IP: Logged
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2008 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroturbo:

You can't top the F-14:

What other plane could go mach 2, simultaneously target up to 26 aircraft, simultaneously fire at 6 aircraft at 100 miles away, and still keep tracking other targets? None!

Aren't you forgetting the F-15 Strike Eagles in the Israeli Airforce? Same capability so I'm told.

Arn
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2008 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

I had my first flight in a military fighter in the F-106, and it is still my favorite ride ever.

[This message has been edited by topcat (edited 01-03-2008).]

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2008 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Latest stealth fighter

Convair YF2Y-1 Sea Dart

[This message has been edited by Gokart Mozart (edited 01-04-2008).]

The_Stickman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2008 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The_Stickman2Click Here to visit The_Stickman2's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_Stickman2Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:
Wow, would that thing actually fly? I did a little research on it, I saw where it's potential capabilites were being discussed but didn't see where it was successfully proven. Looks like they built some proto-types but................................................

It does work and it does fly. BUT it is only intended to fly in ground effect. Watch the videos on the first page. It can carry more weight by staying in ground effect the whole time. From what I understand the program was going well when the Soviet Union failed.

ShockWave

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2008 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShockWaveSend a Private Message to ShockWaveDirect Link to This Post
My favorite: B17 Flying Fortress
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IHrz8URnta4
Jarhead 2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2008 03:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jarhead 2m4Click Here to visit Jarhead 2m4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jarhead 2m4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ShockWave:

Ahh, the Texas Raiders B-17! I have been on aircraft before. The nose art for that plane is tattooed on my left arm! I like pin-up art and she was a cowgirl with a Texas flag, how could I resist?

------------------
"Semper Fiero"

blackrams

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2008 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The_Stickman2:
It does work and it does fly. BUT it is only intended to fly in ground effect. Watch the videos on the first page. It can carry more weight by staying in ground effect the whole time. From what I understand the program was going well when the Soviet Union failed.

Interesting, thanks.

------------------
Ron

It's the Soldier, not the reporter
Who has given us the freedom of the press.
It's the Soldier, not the poet,
Who has given us the freedom of speech.
It's the Soldier, not the politicians
That ensures our right to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.
It's the Soldier who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag.

heybjorn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2008 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lurker:

it's hard not to like things that fly and blow things up

That's for sure! The F4U Corsair and SR71 also get my vote. I haven't seen a mention of the gunship version of the C-130.
justa6

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2008 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justa6Send a Private Message to justa6Direct Link to This Post
there are so many good planes to choose from. i gotta give my nod to the F16 and F15

F16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcyjtrIwtRM

F15

heres a vid on the F15. Listen at 2:03 on the first Vid so sad they are grounded right now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TjuxDSxgDw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUoWXgb1kJk

------------------

My Photography
My Designs
87 Fiero GT 5-speed.
99 CSVT 5-speed.On life support, waiting its fate
99 Accord 5-speed (Annonomity)

[This message has been edited by justa6 (edited 01-04-2008).]

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2008 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ShockWave:

She's a good looking bird. I've seen her a few times.

We have the Yankee Lady which you can take a ride in.

I've also seen Sentimental Journey a couple times.
PFF
System Bot
AP2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2008 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AP2kSend a Private Message to AP2kDirect Link to This Post
A-10
ME 262
Horton IX

The Horton was made of two sheets of plywood with charcoal sandwiched between the sheets. This made it nearly invisible to radar detection of that era.
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2008 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
the Lippisch P13a

http://en.wikipedia.org/wik...nder_Martin_Lippisch

Interceptor project with ramjet propulsion using powdered coal

------------------
1984 Fiero Sport
1987 Fiero <- Ethanol powered Batmobile
1984 Fiero SE
1999 Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3 LX <-LPG powered family car

*** nuclear winter cures global warming ***

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 01-04-2008).]

nmw75

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2008 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nmw75Send a Private Message to nmw75Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:
One of my first jobs as a young engineer with Pratt & Whitney many years ago was to recreate tooling to manufacture spares for the J58 engine that was scrapped during the SALT II agreement. I have good memories of the SR-71.

Second best job was working on the nozzle / augmentor engineering project on the YF-119 which became the engine for the F-22 Raptor.

Sometimes miss my old aerospace engineering days.

I worked at Pratt & Whitney for 8 years in the Turbine Dept. I was in Drafting. Worked on the YF-119 / F-22 engine quite a bit along with the JSF engine. Did lots of different TOBI & BOAS models.
gold430

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2008 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gold430Send a Private Message to gold430Direct Link to This Post
Oh I LOVE this one!

P-51 favorite warbird
F-104 favorite Century Series fighter - how could you not like the Flying Prostitute?
Blackbird - just too cool / ridiculously advanced for when it was designed - I have a cooler pic of the one in the museum, but don't know how to post it (lame, I know)
A-10 - gotta love something with a gun that big, plus does Great close-in airshow routine
F-16 modern fighter
C-152 airplane I actually Flew (better than a 150 at least)
DC-9 serires favorite airliner
500 favorite helicopter (even flew in a Magnum PI painted one on Kauai)
V-22 in general - this aircraft will eventually change the world, the way the helicopter did in the 50s & 60s
and
C-17 - pays my mortgage also does some impressive stuff for a Big plane

general stuff: HK-1, yeah even I would've forgotten that was the Flying Boat's official designation, and I used to work in a bldg next to where it was built in Culver City
Tilt rotor , tilt wing, & lift fan jet survived 50s & 60s research as only "viable" VTOL concepts. Tilt wing suffers from pitch issues during conversion, so tilt rotor remains, unless you want to pump fuel thru a big hose to hover a Harrier
Research: yes, Germans before & during WWII came up with many advanced concepts, we built off their research for years. Yes, VERY much work done during the 50s & 60s, and then it tapered off. Partly because it got more expensive to make airplanes, so less X planes got built. Partly because it wasn't as much of a priority to do research, so the money dried up. And also because there was so much consolidation in the industry, a lot of concepts died / a lot of good airplanes never got built.
Like a guy once told me back in the early 80's: airplanes are going out of style. of course, he was close to 70, drove a Challenger convertible, and also told me Blondes and Convertibles were going out of style too...

Ed BAE Georgia Tech 1984
Boeing Vertol, Hughes Helicopters, McDonnell Douglas Helicopters, Douglas Aircraft, and now Boeing - the only one that still exists
CaliforniaSpeeder9

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2008 03:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CaliforniaSpeeder9Click Here to visit CaliforniaSpeeder9's HomePageSend a Private Message to CaliforniaSpeeder9Direct Link to This Post
Despite loving speed over all else I love the A-10

http://cdn-www.airliners.ne...os/0/1/8/1245810.jpg
http://cdn-www.airliners.ne...os/6/4/9/1064946.jpg

The P-51 is a close second for me.

[This message has been edited by CaliforniaSpeeder9 (edited 01-05-2008).]

FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2008 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieromaniac:
the Lippisch P13a
http://en.wikipedia.org/wik...nder_Martin_Lippisch

Interceptor project with ramjet propulsion using powdered coal

Interesting fine. I never seen the Lippisch P13a before. I always had a thing for smaller jet like the Messerschmitt Me 163 too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_Me_163

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 01-05-2008).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2008 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

How can one be Canadian and not be extremely proud (and just as extremely saddened) by the story of the Avro Arrow?

Years ahead of it’s time...

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2008 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

Aren't you forgetting the F-15 Strike Eagles in the Israeli Airforce? Same capability so I'm told.

Arn

Almost... they can't land on ships like the Tomcat, nor can they carry the 100 mile range Phoenix missle.

Originally posted by Jarhead 2m4:

BTW: the engines on the P3's are mounted upside-down!

Yeah, but this puts the intake up higher and helps keep sand out during desert ops and sea spray out during low altitude ASW flights.

Originally posted by htexans1:

My ex-wife was in VP(s) 10, 46 and 9 when she (was) on active duty. She used to claim the superiority of the P-3 on its missions.

It's the most versatile aircraft ever made. It can literally find anything, anywhere, anytime. Next on the list is Jimmy Hoffa, then Atlantis after that.

------------------
Petty Officer Michael C Casaceli
Aircraft Electronics Technician Second Class
AIMD Brunswick (2007-present)
Patrol Squadron Ten (2003-2007)
United States Navy

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page