Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Post your favorite aircraft here. (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Post your favorite aircraft here. by The_Stickman2
Started on: 12-31-2007 08:28 PM
Replies: 98
Last post by: fieroturbo on 01-06-2008 01:06 AM
The_Stickman2

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2007 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The_Stickman2Click Here to visit The_Stickman2's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_Stickman2Direct Link to This Post
Ok I know alot of you are into aircraft so here is a fun thread. Post what ever you like. Pics or vids. I'll start off with a few of my favorite aircraft. And yes I have odd tastes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgtaeRZjWNc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1iJV4qgW9s

http://www.youtube.com/watc...vBe8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watc...sXXo&feature=related

------------------
My sites
http://the-stickman.tripod.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheStickman

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Wichita

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2007 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
Mine is the Cessna 02 Super Skymaster

heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2007 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post
F8U Crusader and P-47 Thunderbolt. No links; not into youtube and all of you know how to google images.
84Bill

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post12-31-2007 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post
My favorite war bird would be the The Northrop P-61 Black Widow.

There are only 4 examples in existence 2 pristine models exist in China. IMHO simply the most magnificent airplane ever constructed.
Armed with four .50 caliber machine guns on the top turret and 4 20mm cannons in the belly. You did NOT want to meet this aircraft in a dark ally over the southern pacific.

Richjk21

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2007 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Richjk21Send a Private Message to Richjk21Direct Link to This Post
Here you go...

Rich
The_Stickman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2007 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The_Stickman2Click Here to visit The_Stickman2's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_Stickman2Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84Bill:

There are only 4 examples in existence 2 pristine models exist in China. IMHO simply the most magnificent airplane ever constructed.
Armed with four .50 caliber machine guns on the top turret and 4 20mm cannons in the belly. You did NOT want to meet this aircraft in a dark ally over the southern pacific.

Not entirely true Bill. There are three in the US. One at Wright-Pat AirForce museum. One at the Air and Space Museum. And one presently under restoration to flying condition in Reading Pa. at Mid-Atlantic Air museum. There is one on display in China which is reportibly for sale at 1 mil. Rumors have it there are more than one(read maybe even more than 2). The story goes that after the war there were still some P-61's on the Chinese bases that we flew out of. The crews were working to fix them to flyable condition when the Chinese came in and said Leave. From what I understand it wasn't a polite invitation either. The one in reading is one it's wheels last time I saw it.
sostock

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2007 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post
i've always liked the SR71

and the A10

84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-31-2007 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The_Stickman2:
Not entirely true Bill.

Went back an looked, only found 4

1 at Wright Patterson, Moonlight Serenade

1 in China Beijing

One being restored

Heres the one in Washington...

I thought there were 2 in China. I distinctly remember coming across the other tucked away in a museum. and the other on static.

[This message has been edited by 84Bill (edited 12-31-2007).]

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2007 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

True, there are actually 5 total. The 2 in China are in pristine condition and are housed in museums.

Heres the one in Washington...

The other 2 include the one pulled off a mountaintop and is being rebuilt but is not yet flyable.

Nice BUFF!
lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2007 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
it's hard not to like things that fly and blow things up
so many to choose from. DH mosquito, ME262, p51-d, f4, sr71.
even though it was something of a dog, i'm kind of fond of the DH2 from ww1

[This message has been edited by lurker (edited 01-05-2008).]

The_Stickman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2007 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The_Stickman2Click Here to visit The_Stickman2's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_Stickman2Direct Link to This Post
Here's a link to the P-61 black Widow in Reading Pa. BTw they have a great WWII encampment every year with planes and ground forces.

http://www.maam.org/p61/p61_rest.htm
PFF
System Bot
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2007 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Richjk21:

Here you go...

Rich

One of my first jobs as a young engineer with Pratt & Whitney many years ago was to recreate tooling to manufacture spares for the J58 engine that was scrapped during the SALT II agreement. I have good memories of the SR-71.

Second best job was working on the nozzle / augmentor engineering project on the YF-119 which became the engine for the F-22 Raptor.

Sometimes miss my old aerospace engineering days.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 12-31-2007).]

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2007 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post

Toss up between B-17 and B-25.

NASA birds, take your pick

Civilian? http://www.rutanaircraft.co...pages/airplanes.html
84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-31-2007 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:
Toss up between B-17 and B-25.

B-17 hands down.

The_Stickman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2007 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The_Stickman2Click Here to visit The_Stickman2's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_Stickman2Direct Link to This Post
Bill I have heard many rumors of China having a few. Just one on display. And they are willing to sell it. I here it's not in the greatest shape though.
84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-31-2007 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The_Stickman2:
Bill I have heard many rumors of China having a few. Just one on display. And they are willing to sell it. I here it's not in the greatest shape though.

Wanna go in on halves?

I was doing research on them about 3 years ago when I came across the one in Beijing and another one that was rather obscure. Damn I wished I saved the links as I'm having a helluva time finding it now.

Regardless... I just love that plane.

[This message has been edited by 84Bill (edited 12-31-2007).]

texasfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2007 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for texasfieroSend a Private Message to texasfieroDirect Link to This Post

My favorite war bird would be the The Northrop P-61 Black Widow.[/URL]

That is one of my favorite planes also. I recently purchased drawings for a 66" r/c model that I'm going to build.

Of the others listed, the B-17 and the Warthog are also favorites.

Here is another of my favorites. I grew up near the SAC base in Altus OK and remember hearing one of these monsters fly over. It is a sound you won't forget.

http://www.youtube.com/watc...1gFU&feature=related

[This message has been edited by texasfiero (edited 01-01-2008).]

htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post
I have some favorites too:

C-17, KC-135R two types I worked on and spent countless hours on. While not the "stars" of movies, these aircraft provide vital services that allow the USA to project its power on a global scale.

As for the Civilian side:

The Beech Starship 2000 and the Long EZ.

------------------
1988 Fiero Formula T-tops
CJB 143 of 1252 "factory T-top cars"

pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post
HI all

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... I didn't see any rules about posting real world aircraft!!

My favorite in fighter mode, robotechies and macross fans will understand...HAHAHAHAHAHA..

http://www.macrossworld.com...eview/fighter_16.jpg

If were talkin about real world aircraft then the X-29 RULES ALL!! Which ironically, the above pic/link the fighter mode was based on the x-29, i.e., FSW's..........

edit: Definately gotta give a shout out to the X-31 too!! Not as visually appealing as the x-29, but man could you crush anyone in a dog fight, lol........

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Today they are called garage's, yesterday, they were stable's! Eric Jacobsen....

[This message has been edited by pavo_roddy (edited 01-01-2008).]

Jarhead 2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 04:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jarhead 2m4Click Here to visit Jarhead 2m4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jarhead 2m4Direct Link to This Post
For me, it has to be the KC-130 built by Lockheed Martin.

This special aircraft has a certain personality that I truly adore. It can do anything from aerial refueling to troop/cargo transport, aerial delivery, and battlefield illumination. The US has been flying this aircraft for over 50 years, and with the brand new "J" model, will probably continue to use it for many more. Watch the video starting at 4:19 where it's wheels first touch the ground. It comes to a complete stop, offloads 2 vehicles, reverses back down the runway and takes off with the wheels being on the ground for less than a minute.

------------------
"Semper Fiero"

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 07:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Ya gotta love Herc, especially Puff and Fat Albert,
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I just bought a 50" RC Skymaster. Cant wait for spring to try it out.

My favs are F4C Phantom II, F4U Corsair, P-47 T-Bolt.
Jarhead 2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jarhead 2m4Click Here to visit Jarhead 2m4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jarhead 2m4Direct Link to This Post
I still find it funny that the F4U Corsair's bend in the wing structure was a result of it's large prop. Instead of redesigning the landing gear they just put a bend in the wings to make the fuselage further from the deck thus making room for the 13 ft. prop diameter.

There is a MiG-15 sitting in the Naval Aviation Museum in NAS Pensacola that was shot down by Marine pilot Jesse Folmer during the Korean War. Care to guess what he was flying? That's right, a Vought F4U Corsair!

------------------
"Semper Fiero"

The_Stickman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The_Stickman2Click Here to visit The_Stickman2's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_Stickman2Direct Link to This Post
Here are two unique vids of the Herc C-130.

http://www.youtube.com/watc...jGXk&feature=related
carrier landing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YOtm9UCQEc
Super STOL landing. What went wrong in the Iran rescue mission.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
This is my fav, followed by a close second

Arn
The_Stickman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The_Stickman2Click Here to visit The_Stickman2's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_Stickman2Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jarhead 2m4:

I still find it funny that the F4U Corsair's bend in the wing structure was a result of it's large prop. Instead of redesigning the landing gear they just put a bend in the wings to make the fuselage further from the deck thus making room for the 13 ft. prop diameter.

There is a MiG-15 sitting in the Naval Aviation Museum in NAS Pensacola that was shot down by Marine pilot Jesse Folmer during the Korean War. Care to guess what he was flying? That's right, a Vought F4U Corsair!

Whoa A Corsair took down a Mig? That is impressive. BTW I am surprised no one has commented on the Caspian sea monster vid.
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
I guess I've always liked the P-38 Lightning the most.

The_Stickman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The_Stickman2Click Here to visit The_Stickman2's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_Stickman2Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Toddster:

I guess I've always liked the P-38 Lightning the most.

Hey that's Yippee. The 5000th Lightning made, i believe. It was painted bright reed or orange if I remember.
The_Stickman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The_Stickman2Click Here to visit The_Stickman2's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_Stickman2Direct Link to This Post

The_Stickman2

1030 posts
Member since Sep 2007
Here's a better pic.

The Poopsmith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The PoopsmithSend a Private Message to The PoopsmithDirect Link to This Post
There are way to many to like that I don't think I could seriously pick just one as my favorite but the first one to come to mind was the De Havilland Mosquito due to it's wooden construction which made it light and fast plus it looks just fantastic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Mosquito

I am however partial to WWII military aircraft mostly because I like the simplicity and ingenuity put into those aircraft considering what we were capable of in that era. For new age aircraft with all them fancy computers and junk I've always liked the usual F-16, F-15, F-14, C-5, A-10 and so on for non US military I like the Su-27 Fulcrum and it's super BA offspring the SU-35 which can do a move called the cobra.

http://www.metacafe.com/wat...su_35_extreme_moves/

If money were no object and the plane never needed maintenance and it was stored for free my personal choice would be a toss up between the F-104 starfighter and a P-38 both are classy in there own ways and are very cool to look at.
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post
I've always had an affinity for the P-51 Mustang....

The one closest to the camera in this shot is "The Gunfighter", which is based near me in Omaha. One amazing aircraft....
PFF
System Bot
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
First effective long range fighter. Did what the Spit could do but with more gas to go on longer missions. Good plane.

Arn
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
Always been a big fan of:

And:

And I work on the Radar system of these:

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 01-01-2008).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

The NASA X-15, with Neil Armstrong posing in the foreground.
Phranc

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
User Banned

Report this Post01-01-2008 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhrancSend a Private Message to PhrancDirect Link to This Post

Here you go...

Rich

I really like the windows in that building. You can see the fine craftsmanship even at a distance.
Richjk21

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Richjk21Send a Private Message to Richjk21Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phranc:

I really like the windows in that building. You can see the fine craftsmanship even at a distance.

you have something to do with those windows did ya ????
Phranc

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-02-2008 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhrancSend a Private Message to PhrancDirect Link to This Post

you have something to do with those windows did ya ????

Just a little. ( read almost everything)

My friend Steve spent over a month in a scissor lift putting the registers in the climate control.
Phranc

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-02-2008 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhrancSend a Private Message to PhrancDirect Link to This Post

Phranc

7777 posts
Member since Aug 2005
A10
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
F4
loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2008 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post
Cool thread! I've always loved the Century series fighters, F-110 / Phantom included. Fav bomber would have to be the B-58 Hustler. All these aircraft from this era are kind of like the muscle cars of the aviation world.
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2008 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
That's one reason why noboy f***s with the U.S.!

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

Ya gotta love Herc, especially Puff and Fat Albert,

I love my T210, but one of my dream planes is the MS-760 Paris Jet

[This message has been edited by fierobear (edited 01-02-2008).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave