Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Columbus Day? Why does he get credit? (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Columbus Day? Why does he get credit? by blackrams
Started on: 10-11-2021 08:45 AM
Replies: 66 (753 views)
Last post by: sourmash on 10-14-2021 07:09 PM
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2021 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

there was a thriving civilization here in Arizona over 1,500 years ago.

People lived in Arizona before air conditioning? I call bullshit.
IP: Logged
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2021 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

The Southwest Gallery presents information on the ancient cultures of central Arizona from the Paleoindian hunters who arrived around 13,500 years ago to the advanced irrigation systems of the Hohokam farmers that operated until A.D. 1450. The gallery presents displays of prehistoric artifacts and replicas of Hohokam homes excavated by museum archaeologists in the Mesa area.

https://www.arizonamuseumof...-peoples-of-the-past

Rams
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2021 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

My people are very practical folk.

They sailed back home and waited until Minnesota and North Dakota were established and then they came back.

(None of that will make sense to someone that doesn't know how many Scandinavians settled that area)

I've seen the movie "Fargo". I'm not sure they made a wise choice.

Actually, my father's family was from Bismarck.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 10-11-2021).]

randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2021 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

And yet, you ended up in Florida.......... Hmmm........

Rams

What can I say, I hate cold weather. I'm a "tropical Viking"

I also hate Inlagd sill (pickled herring) and Surströmming (fermented herring) and Hákarl (fermented shark....which smells like a long dead human body).

Seems as though my people also had / have an aversion to fresh seafood..... go figure.

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2021 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well, to be honest, I don't really care who or what was first, We needed the bank today and because someone at some point in time decided to make today a frick'n holiday, my schedule is screwed up for the next week. Was supposed to travel to Atlanta and pick up a Trike that's going to Austin, TX. Seller was ready, transporter was ready and the buyer was ready to send an electronic transfer of funds buttttttttttttttttttttttttttt. No Joy.

Damn Columbus Day!!!!

Rams

That 'someone' would have been Congress ...........in 1971.
You've had 50 years to get used to the 2nd Monday in October being a federal holiday.

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2021 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

What can I say, I hate cold weather. I'm a "tropical Viking"

go figure.

Now there's a term I've never heard before....

Rams
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2021 06:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

That 'someone' would have been Congress ...........in 1971.
You've had 50 years to get used to the 2nd Monday in October being a federal holiday.

Yeah, wasn't tickled about it then either, although just about everyone likes another federal holiday, this one never made sense to me.

Rams
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post10-12-2021 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
People aren't aware that the Vikings spent about 500 years living in North America. They left their culture and societies with gobs of evidence that's still revealed and studied today.

[This message has been edited by sourmash (edited 10-12-2021).]

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2021 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Does anyone remember the work of Thor Heyerdahl?

Yes

Kon Tiki in particular.

Nelson
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2021 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:

People aren't aware that the Vikings spent about 500 years living in North America. They left their culture and societies with gobs of evidence that's still revealed and studied today.

Because only you possess the secret knowledge of the Oracle of Wikipedia.
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2021 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the record, Columbus never set foot in North America. He only traveled to South America, First landed in the Bahamas and then sighted Cuba a few months later (which he thought was mainland China) only to then land on Hispaniola in December, which he thought to be Japan.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 10-12-2021).]

PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2021 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

For the record, Columbus never set foot in North America. He only traveled to South America, First landed in the Bahamas and then sighted Cuba a few months later (which he thought was mainland China) only to then land on Hispaniola in December, which he thought to be Japan.

But Columbus blazed the trail for Ponce De Leon, who established the first permanent European settlement in what is now the USA. When I was a kid, I actually drank from the Fountain of Youth.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2021 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

19450 posts
Member since Mar 2009

I grew up in Florida and didn't have A/C at home or in school until I was 12 years old.

I have also lived in houses in AZ that did not have A/C.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 10-12-2021).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2021 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I grew up in Florida and didn't have A/C at home or in school until I was 12 years old.

I have also lived in houses in AZ that did not have A/C.

Grew up in Central Kansas, my parents had an old water cooler in their bedroom, nothing else for the rest of the house, we used box fans in the windows. It was my job to keep it filled while dad slept during the day and then again in the evening. Then about 1964 we built our own new home and installed an HVAC with real air conditioning. My lord I thought we were living large. Kansas isn't as hot as AZ but, in the middle of summer it isn't exactly cool there either.

Rams
sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-12-2021 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I got it. Not sure why they're not participating.
sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-12-2021 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sourmash

4558 posts
Member since Jul 2016

Because only you possess the secret knowledge of the Oracle of Wikipedia.

Do far young haven't shown the same knowledge. Where in North America was that, little one?
sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-12-2021 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sourmash

4558 posts
Member since Jul 2016

When I was a kid, I actually drank from the Fountain of Youth.

Maybe have a drink from the Fountain of Emotional Maturity?
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2021 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Maybe have a drink from the Fountain of Emotional Maturity?

Says the man who's started a pissing contest in every thread he's entered......................... Yeah, there ya go.
No, I don't care how you respond.

Rams

sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-12-2021 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:[/B
Says the man who's started a pissing contest in every thread he's entered......................... Yeah, there ya go.
No, I don't care how you respond.

Rams

[B]Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Says the man who can't acknowledge a joke. You did know it was a joke?

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2021 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Do far young haven't shown the same knowledge.

English isn't your first language, is it?

Where in North America was that, little one?

As I have said before, it is not my job to remediate your abysmal lack of historical knowledge.
sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-12-2021 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As I have said before, it is not my job to remediate your abysmal lack of historical knowledge.

I didn't think you would know. You're just like most people who don't know.
PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2021 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:
Columbus was NOT looking for new lands to plunder; He was searching for a easier route to the far east....That is why the Caribbean Islands are called the "West Indies"- As in INDIA....So blaming him for Europeans conquering N. America is kind of....Dumb....

C'mon cvxjet, get it right. Columbeus was a "science denier" not believing the Earth was flat and that he would not fall off the edge of the Earth.

... We needed the bank today and because someone at some point in time decided to make today a frick'n holiday, ...

Get over it. Columbus was looking for an ATM machine and there were none to be found. That's why the banks are closed, .

Let me know when you come to Austin. Who knows.

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2021 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

Let me know when you come to Austin. Who knows.

Cliff,
Was good talking to you this morning. Due to other outstanding priorities, this will be a quick turn around trip to TX and back to MS. I have an already scheduled commitment in Middle TN next week. A friend needs some of my "special" assistance. He needs a tree or two cut down and a fence torn down. Right up my alley, I'm pretty good at tearing things up.............

Rams
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2021 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff....Not sure what you mean- I am easily con-vused......I thought all of the science-deniers believed the Earth was flat while people who are edjumecated believe the EARTH is round like the moon......
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2021 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cliff....Not sure what you mean- I am easily con-vused......I thought all of the science-deniers believed the Earth was flat while people who are edjumecated believe the EARTH is round like the moon......

I believe that Cliff is drawing a parallel between the Flat-Earthers of Columbus' day and the Global Warming zealots of modern times.

A gas powered leaf blower will surely set in motion a chain of events that will cause us all to be consumed by dragons. Do you really want to be responsible for that?

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 10-14-2021).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2021 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Climate change.....? But the oil industry has spent BILLIONS to cast doubt on climate change. That is like the idiocy of banning DDT....Ask the chemical companies and they will tell you that DDT is GREAT! See, spraying on a beach with kids playing......Always listen to the Corporate suppliers of chemicals, etc....They will tell you the absolute truth about their chemicals because why would they lie?

sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-14-2021 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Climate change.....? But the oil industry has spent BILLIONS to cast doubt on climate change. That is like the idiocy of banning DDT....Ask the chemical companies and they will tell you that DDT is GREAT! See, spraying on a beach with kids playing......Always listen to the Corporate suppliers of chemicals, etc....They will tell you the absolute truth about their chemicals because why would they lie?

That goes for Covid mRNA gene therapy injections too.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock