Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  California is at it again. Mileage Tax (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
California is at it again. Mileage Tax by blackrams
Started on: 12-13-2017 09:52 PM
Replies: 120 (1625 views)
Last post by: jmbishop on 12-18-2017 07:41 AM
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2017 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://sanfrancisco.cbsloca...nsiders-mileage-tax/

Yep, now they want to charge you for not just a fuel tax but, for every mile you drive. You knew it was coming....

SAN FRANCISCO (KPIX 5) — California is moving closer to charging drivers for every mile they drive.
The state says it needs more money for road repairs, and the gas tax just isn’t bringing in enough revenue.
The state recently road-tested a mileage monitoring plan.

The California Road Charge Pilot Program is billed as a way for the state to move from its longstanding pump tax to a system where drivers pay based on their mileage. But it’s not just a question about money, it’s also a question about fairness.

State Senator Scott Wiener and others are saying that when it comes to road taxes, it’s time to start looking at charging you by the mile rather than by the gallon.
“If you own an older vehicle that is fueled by gas, you’re paying gas tax to maintain the roads. Someone who has an electric vehicle or a dramatically more fuel efficient vehicle is paying much less than you are. But they are still using the roads,” Wiener said.
“People are going to use less and less gas in the long run,” according to Wiener.

And less gas means less gas tax, and less money for road repair.
“We want to make sure that all cars are paying to maintain the roads,” Wiener said.

One idea would be installing devices that would clock your mileage every time you pull up to the pump or electric car charging station. Or put a tracker on every car.
“The reality is that if you have a smartphone your data of where you are traveling is already in existence,” Wiener said.
None of this is sitting well with drivers such as Joshua Li, the owner of a hybrid BMW.

Li said he saves around $200 a month by not using gas and said he would definitely not be happy if his driving was taxed per mile.
Randy Rentschler, of the Metropolitan Transportation Commission, said one answer is to raise the gas tax and up the vehicle registration fee for electric cars.
“If you buy a small car that gets great fuel economy, we don’t get enough money to repair the roads … but the fact of the matter is people are buying trucks,” Rentschler said.

However, raising vehicle registration fees and taxing people with fuel-efficient, hybrid or electric vehicles could also discourage people from purchasing such vehicles.
Fuel-efficient, hybrid and electric vehicles are key to reducing vehicle emissions and improving air quality around the world.

------------------
Rams

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but …
after a shooting, the problem is the gun....
Open your frigg'n minds, think about all the other tools that can be made into WMDs.

My wife told me to grow up. I told her to get out of my fort!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2017 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
People already can't afford to live in the bay area, and now they're going to charge people that have to commute and waste 3 hours a day in traffic too? So glad I got out...

Also sure the gas tax isn't going away, and it would end up being in addition to the mileage tax.

There's plenty of money, the REAL problem is how the money is being embezzled, and wasted on workers that do little or no work, of complete **** quality. The entire road repair business is what needs to be overhauled.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2017 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Being penalized for driving a fuel efficient vehicle idea is nothing new.
Money grabbers have been espousing it since the first 'higher MPG" vehicles came about.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2017 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Being penalized for driving a fuel efficient vehicle idea is nothing new.
Money grabbers have been espousing it since the first 'higher MPG" vehicles came about.

Not all, them dang bicycle riders are getting a free pass. Tax them....................

Hudini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2017 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
“We want to make sure that all cars are paying to maintain the roads,” Wiener said.

Yes, the cars, not the people pay that tax.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post12-13-2017 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wait a minute....

All those pedestrians are wearing out the roads and sidewalks and not paying one red cent !

(I know, I know---Dont give them any ideas, MeM)
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post12-13-2017 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh no. a bill that tax everyone that uses the roads fairly, not that..
The tax at the pump should have been history 15 years ago and moved to a per mile tax .
As it is fair.
The problem I see is this will be an "added "tax and they will not remove the state fuel taxes at the pump.
If They remove the state fuel tax at the pump I'm all for this.. As I know my state will mirror whatever cali does in a few years.
Sorry the free ride of hybrids and electrics is passed, time to pay your fair share.

Just be happy it's not a mileage+ hours on the road tax, as in long commutes sitting at a crawl. 40 miles in 2 hours or more.
The technology is already there, progressive has their "snapshot" that reads off the obII service plug, I can see this type item being issued with your tags..

Honestly, it be nice if they scraped the excise tax and fuel tax and made it one mileage tax but then the money they take for roads would be all in one spot and to easy for everyone to see just how much they take and get per year for the roads and how bad they are in disrepair ..

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 12-13-2017).]

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2017 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lol, this is why these tax schemes were stupid from the beginning. Charge a flat tax and do away with the rest. Taxing by the mile could definitely reduce the miles driven further reducing the revenue from fuel taxes. Compound that with the people priced out of doing business in California and some real damage could be done.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-13-2017 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

Yes, the cars, not the people pay that tax.

Yes cars as many people use one car/truck/vehicle.. think family car,taxi,bus, business vehicle.., Zip car, etc.

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-13-2017 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012

Originally posted by jmbishop:

Lol, this is why these tax schemes were stupid from the beginning. Charge a flat tax and do away with the rest. Taxing by the mile could definitely reduce the miles driven further reducing the revenue from fuel taxes. Compound that with the people priced out of doing business in California and some real damage could be done.

That is stupid, as a mileage tax you are charged by what you used/drove, your flax tax is lame as it require the government to assume how much you use the roads, You want them to assume you drive 35 thousand miles a year if you drive 5 thousand? and be taxed at that 35k mileage factor..
Stupid stupid stupid.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2017 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:
The state says it needs more money for road repairs, and the gas tax just isn’t bringing in enough revenue.

Yeah, tell me some more lies. Kalifornia has over taxed everybody. People are fleeing.

How 'bout this ... account for your gas tax expenses. Announce you needs.
To be fair, I think every State puts the gas tax in the General Fund.

Kalifornia needs to pay for their illegal immigrants some other way.
PFF
System Bot
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2017 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lesssee, lesssee, where did I read about the possibility of this happening?????.....................hmmmmm..........oh yeah..................HERE.

And if memory recalls we never did figure out the privacy issue.

Plus, how do you tax out-of-staters who don't have these "Alexa on wheels" gadgets on their cars? Tell them their not welcome?
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2017 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

That is stupid, as a mileage tax you are charged by what you used/drove, your flax tax is lame as it require the government to assume how much you use the roads, You want them to assume you drive 35 thousand miles a year if you drive 5 thousand? and be taxed at that 35k mileage factor..
Stupid stupid stupid.

You clearly don't understand how it works. You're paying for it either way. Transportation effects the price of goods and services. A flat tax puts a known number on it and as long as the number is reasonable enough, it's easy to plan your budget accordingly and make adjustments to the budget or the tax.

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 12-13-2017).]

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post12-13-2017 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That is stupid... lame ...
Stupid stupid stupid.

Such a gentle soul you are. Very embracing even.

I rest my case.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2017 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What would a flat tax look like? Under $130 per year per resident.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-13-2017 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:
Such a gentle soul you are. Very embracing even.

I rest my case.

So, my opinion on a type of tax that isn't fair makes you think that, it was a comment on the type of tax (flat tax) not the poster.. but don't let FACTS get in the way of your bullshita
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2017 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So, my opinion on a type of tax that isn't fair makes you think that, it was a comment on the type of tax (flat tax) not the poster.. but don't let FACTS get in the way of your bullshita

He quoted your nonsense, he didn't disagree with the rest of what you posted, yet you've somehow fabricated his argument against you.

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-13-2017 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You called him stupid. "but don't let FACTS get in the way of your bullshita"

You have the forums worst comprehension keel. And, kettle meet pot. Geez.

Edit: Is it evil, or am I evil for laughing out loud at this cat? I am in tears here. I had to slow down to type, but yes, yes I am still laughing at anothers stupidity.

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 12-13-2017).]

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-13-2017 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What would a flat tax look like? Under $130 per year per resident.

Not a chance..
cali fuel sales tax on gas is 2.25% then the state fuel pump tax So with reg gas price of 3.39 before the tax
They collect more than 130 bucks per year now.. you think they are going to take in less?

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2017 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
5 billion(the proposed budget), divided by the number of residents in California is what Mr. Furgal? I know math is probably a challenge for you but give it a try.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-13-2017 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You called him stupid. "but don't let FACTS get in the way of your bullshita"

You have the forums worst comprehension E.Furgal. And, kettle meet pot. Geez.

Says the guy by his own admission had had bad issues for years with other members here..
So your opinion of me or anyone else for that matter is comical at best..
For an asswipe that requires people to address him with a capital T you have the gaul to try to call me someone else..
pot met kettle INDEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-13-2017 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Like a baby."
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-13-2017 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

5 billion(the proposed budget), divided by the number of residents in California is what Mr. Furgal? I know math is probably a challenge for you but give it a try.

Now subtract those that don't drive, oops..
You can't go by per car either as many have more than one vehicle, and cali requires the plate to stay with the vehicle if it is on the road or not.
math, formulas only work when you input correct numbers.
Or are you say'n to tax those without a vehicle for road taxes?

P.S. what were you say'n about math?? and me being challenged by it.. How is that shoe tasting ,, should I pass the salt and pepper.?

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-13-2017 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012

"Like a baby."

Bawhahaha even when I explained what I stated with stupid stupid stupid you still keep at it, yet you call me a troll..
And with 2-3 post in not one part of them on the thread topic.. TROLL!!!!!!!

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2017 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Or are you say'n to tax those without a vehicle for road taxes?

Yep, they use the roads to and they currently pay inflated product and service prices to make up for it. Unless you live 100% off the land and never leave, you use those roads.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2017 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jmbishop

4484 posts
Member since Jul 2006

"Like a baby."

Notice how he retired Keel and now he's comfortable going on the offensive again?
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-13-2017 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yep, they use the roads to and they currently pay inflated product and service prices to make up for it. Unless you live 100% off the land and never leave, you use those roads.

So you want the consumer to pay for your use of the road, passing the buck I see, how liberal of you.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-13-2017 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012

Notice how he retired Keel and now he's comfortable going on the offensive again?

Keel retired himself.. I didn't retire anything..
but if it makes you sleep better at night, lace that ***** up and run with it.

Just like a liberal, bash, shown that their math formula has a huge hole in it, then bash some more..
on cue.

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-13-2017 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No I DID NOT!!!!!!!!!(((((())))))

(I just gave "post like an idiot" a try, and that is just plain hard to dumb down that far.)

😋
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2017 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So you want the consumer to pay for your use of the road, passing the buck I see, how liberal of you.

Where do you think tax's ultimately come from? Did you think they are fabricated by corporations, that the amount of tax they pay doesn't have an affect on the amount you pay as cost of living?

It all trickles down and you pay for it regardless, the less direct it is, the more it gets inflated.

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2017 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jmbishop

4484 posts
Member since Jul 2006

Just like a liberal, bash, shown that their math formula has a huge hole in it...

What hole?

PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-14-2017 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RayOtton:

Lesssee, lesssee, where did I read about the possibility of this happening?????.....................hmmmmm..........oh yeah..................HERE.

And if memory recalls we never did figure out the privacy issue.

Plus, how do you tax out-of-staters who don't have these "Alexa on wheels" gadgets on their cars? Tell them their not welcome?

Fast pass transsponders, you didn't think they are just for toll booths did you?

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-14-2017 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012

What hole?

I'll start with one word. Tourist, try to keep up, it is only one of the biggest tourist states in the union..
That fuel taxes catch every last one.. when they rent a car or ride a bus /taxi/lyft/uber as they are all added to the fee to use/ride.
or in a rental when you fill it up.

Again math/fomula input trash get trash #'s out..

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 12-14-2017).]

Keel

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-14-2017 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KeelSend a Private Message to KeelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This has gone on long enough!
I was in talks with E.Furgal to buy his Indy and he brought up this forum for info and tech..
I will not be posting here anymore as to many assume way to much.. and are royal ___________ ______'s..
Even if I buy the Indy,
I will find other ways to get the info that dealing with this crowd..
No matter how good the info is..
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2017 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'll start with one word. Tourist, try to keep up, it is only one of the biggest tourist states in the union..
That fuel taxes catch every last one.. when they rent a car or ride a bus /taxi/lyft/uber as they are all added to the fee to use/ride.
or in a rental when you fill it up.

Again math/fomula input trash get trash #'s out..

Tourists would still pay as well as anyone else doing business in california, they'd pay for it in whatever the tax inflated prices to. You're really grasping at straws, you fail to understand economics.

Since it would likely decrease the cost of vacationing in California, who says you wouldn't get a boom in the tourist industry?
Keel

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-14-2017 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KeelSend a Private Message to KeelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What hole?

double post

[This message has been edited by Keel (edited 12-14-2017).]

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-14-2017 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What hole?

Seconded word for the day, business travel, and all the in state travel to meeting and trade deals, and such from those that land at lax daily and use the roadways..

again with that darn math/fomula crap you think I need to understand better..

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2017 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Keel:

This has gone on long enough!
I was in talks with E.Furgal to buy his Indy and he brought up this forum for info and tech..
I will not be posting here anymore as to many assume way to much.. and are royal ___________ ______'s..
Even if I buy the Indy,
I will find other ways to get the info that dealing with this crowd..
No matter how good the info is..

Lol, what a good setup for when Furgal gets banned, now you've concocted an explanation for why you'll have his car when you post about it looking to share or looking for tech help.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-14-2017 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lol, what a good setup for when Furgal gets banned, now you've concocted an explanation for why you'll have his car when you post about it looking to share or looking for tech help.

I'm dieing , doctors gave me months, to maybe a year+ but whatever you say.

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-14-2017 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012

Tourists would still pay as well as anyone else doing business in california, they'd pay for it in whatever the tax inflated prices to. You're really grasping at straws, you fail to understand economics.

Since it would likely decrease the cost of vacationing in California, who says you wouldn't get a boom in the tourist industry?

Sure buddy sure.. flat tax only if it taxes everyone but ,
well,
you..!!!
Or if you can pass the buck onto someone else besides you footing it.. again how liberal of you.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock