Started on: 07-21-2016 01:15 PM
Replies: 28 (439 views)
Last post by: Boondawg on 07-28-2016 09:03 PM
Jonesy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2016 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just got home from work Saturday and turned my computer on to do a little gaming with some friends, anyway as my computer was booting up i heard a little thunder, then suddenly i hear outside a "POP!" "POP!" "POP!".. "BOOOOOOM!".... Power goes out, i jump up out of my seat, and look out my window, and two of my neighbors trees got struck.. One was a large oak tree, and the side of the trunk exploded out all over, and the other pine tree that got hit broke in half and fell over.

Few minutes later the power came back on, but not my computer or cable modem, they would not turn on at all..

Strange thing is i had everything hooked up behind two surge protectors, and nothing else that was plugged into those surge protectors got affected. So im thinking it may have come through the cable line, as the cable was hooked up to the modem, and the modem into the PC, and those where the only two things that got affected. And upstairs my dads blueray/surround sound system also got fried, and no longer works, and it also had the cable plugged into it. He had a surge protector too with his tv, cable box, and surround sound/blue ray player hooked up and nothing else but the system was affected, so im thinking it came through the cable line, although none of the actual cable boxes seem effected, so i dunno.. The trees where only about 30ft a way from my window, so maybe because it was so close to the computer itself.. i dunno.. Pissed me off though.

All i know is my PC is dead, and same with the modem which i already replaced.

Went ahead and ordered a new PC too.. Didn't really want to spend the cash right now, but what can ya do? freak of nature type thing.. Oh well, ill miss that computer, i really liked it.

[This message has been edited by Jonesy (edited 07-21-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fastfiero1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2016 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastfiero1Send a Private Message to Fastfiero1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That sucks man. You are prolly looking in the right direction with the cable line, that is why any good surge protector has a in and out for coax cable so it can protect those too.

If you took some time to look at it, if you're lucky it might have only been the power supply that got hit. That would be a pretty simple and not too expensive fix. Worst case it would have taken out the motherboard. Hope they didn't charge you an arm and a leg for a new one, I run my own computer business in my spare time and could have built you a nice one for possibly a batter price. Good luck with everything.

------------------
Fiero's Owned:

1987 Coupe 2.5 5spd May 99 - June 03
1987 GT V6 5spd July 30 2012 - Current

newf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2016 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some interesting responses in this thread. http://www.avsforum.com/for...rding-lightning.html
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2016 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took a hit a few years back, same thing came through the cable line. Funny how it worked, took out my router but not the modem. Took out a nic in my daughters computer but everything else in hers was fine. never touched my wife's computer. And it took out one of the HDMI ports on my TV, but never touched any of the cable boxes.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2016 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lightning is a strange cat, and it takes a serious surge protector to handle it. It just jumped an air gap up to thousands of feet across, so most surge protectors really won't divert or control all of it.

Killed 52 cows in a single strike on this fence. (no--not mine)
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2016 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PC likely have a lot of parts are good so don't just trash it.

Fact: Surge protectors are NOT design to take a direct or even near by lightning hit. Contrary to myth, "Lightning Arresters" won't take a direct or very close hit either.
History: Cable Co does not install any protection except a ground. Even with that, Many grounds and connector to them are old and install poorly or wrong.
(Phone Co w/ old copper does have surge/lightning protection as "fuses" in the box when enters a building.)

If the cable took most of the hit...
You should replace most or all the cable and parts. Meaning Splitters and Ground points too.

You should have a ground where cable goes into the house. Cable Co's "Demarc" point is that ground connections. (Demarc is where wiring is your problem and billed accordingly when Cable/Phone Co does any work.) This ground should be connected to a real earth ground. CC should replace this and maybe cable to pole/pedestal.

Splitters could be anywhere. Some may have Grounds wire too. Do Not use cheap splitters you find at Radio shack etc. DOCSIS 3 Modems will barf.

Cable should "RG6" minimum or equivalent. (Is an old obsolete term but many still use it to label wiring packages etc.)
(More "rules" use PFF search for docsis3)

Notes:
  • You don't want too many grounds. More ground can add MORE noise because of Ground Loops. Most houses need only 1-2 grounds. First ground should at CC "Demarc" ground.

• I think Comcast and maybe others are now installing Surge w/ Ground that are bigger, like this...
    Nope... Found PN on it... Is PPC product, PN POEGB-1GCW is a "Ground Block with Integrated MoCA PoE Filter." Not sure has surge protection or not. Others on same page do. The Filter was part of upgrade to new modem. (It has MoCA in it but turned off by default.)

Install by Comcast last month.

Ground Only are small like this...

This is what Comcast was replacing w/ above last month. Was new in 2008. (Big Ground screw is so CC workers can use same 7/16" tool. Less likely to strip the screw too.) I've seen ground only ones in very bad shape and 20+ years old that look like this kind...

• You might have cable going into a box w/ either above and splitters/amps to a building. If true then whole box maybe property of CC.

------------------
    Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
    (Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 07-21-2016).]

• IP: Logged
    ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
    Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2016 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    I have never experienced this in all my years. Also, as Ogre said, likely a bunch of good components there. Maybe just your PSU.
    theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
    Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2016 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:
    I have never experienced this in all my years. Also, as Ogre said, likely a bunch of good components there. Maybe just your PSU.
    I've seen this many times.

Maybe but More likely MoBo got shocked by Ethernet or USB port connected to Cable modem.
    Most Cable modems do not have ground on the power to them.

Ethernet ports are surge protected etc to meet UL and other "rules" but won't take a lighting hit.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 07-21-2016).]

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
    Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2016 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    I had lightning damage on one of my desktops years ago and it took out the modem and motherboard. Luckily I had a decent surge suppressor at the time (Isobar IIRC) and they bought the new components. Everything else of the computer was fine after I replaced the damaged components.

Nelson
    Jonesy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2016 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    yeah i hooked up the psu from my old computer and it did power on amazingly. after a bunch errors i got to the desktop. but it looks like the motherboard got zapped. the ethernet port, usb ports, speaker and mic ports, basically all the ports on the top half of the motherboard dont work anymore. there are "conflict" symbols on a bunch of hardware in device manager. unfortunatly all that stuff is integrated into the motherboard. its also showing i only have 8 gigs of ram when the system has 16.. i did load up a game and it loaded, although it was choppy, and of course no sound. hard to tell if its the video card or something else. so yeah its pretty messed up, but at least it functions enough so i can get my files off it for the new system.

well what can ya do? it was getting close to time to upgrade anyway, was hoping to get another year or so out of it though. it was an alienware too. had it 4 1/2 years never had a single problem with it.

the new one is an alienware also (i like them!).. it was a little pricey, about the same as i paid for my current one. probably more expensive than what Fastfiero1 would build for me, but i built a real nice one that should last me a long time, assuming another lightning strike doesnt take it out, lol. i got the full warrenty this time though just to be safe, lol. so if it somehow happened again, they will give me a new one. new puter should be here in about two weeks. so while i loved my current computer, and ill miss it, but im sure ill get over it once my new one arrives.

kinda bummed me out i had too get WinX with it though instead of Win7.. oh well id have to get WinX eventually...

anyway thanks for listening guys.

i typed and posted this using my Nintendo 3DS btw, lol. only internet device i have at the moment, lol.
    Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
    User Banned

Report this Post07-21-2016 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    Yup.
    Been there.
    And in Alaska, no less.

Yeah, not really known for it's lightning...except when I'm there.
    PFF
    System Bot
    ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2016 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    Specs? I don't buy Alienware. Though I have had my share of boutique laptops.
    Jonesy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2016 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Specs? I don't buy Alienware. Though I have had my share of boutique laptops.

i always used to buy my systems parts and assemble it myself, but starting with my current (now busted) system, i just didnt feel like doing all that. i mean i still basically built the system, i chose all the parts, they just do the assembly part. lol.

new system specs:

i7 6700
    32 gigs ram
    gtx 1080 8gigs
    2tb storage 256gig ss drive
    liquid cool case.

should run games pretty well.

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2016 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jonesy:

i always used to buy my systems parts and assemble it myself, but starting with my current (now busted) system, i just didnt feel like doing all that. i mean i still basically built the system, i chose all the parts, they just do the assembly part. lol.

new system specs:

i7 6700
    32 gigs ram
    gtx 1080 8gigs
    liquid cool case.

should run games pretty well.

I've got a few i7 sytems. Google Chrome just doesn't seem to run smoothly. Good processors though. Bit jealous of your GPU. Did you get a Samsung for your SSD? My liquid cooled i7 runs nice and smooth on a mild overclock. You going to upgrade to a 4K with that GPU?
    Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-21-2016 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lol!
    Very true!

I like the challenge, though.
    I wonder if that has anything to do with being a Mechanic....just bent that way?

New System Specs:

i7 6700
    32 gigs ram
    gtx 1080 8gigs
    liquid cool case.

That's it, tomorrow I'm getting me some memory.

Than I think I'm going to invest in a SINGLE (yes, you heard me, a single) video card.
    I love me some SLI, but I have come to realize that it is just because I remember back-in-the-day when it actually meant something.
    Everything seems to be more memory hungry now-a-days.

Than I'm thinking about one of those "wall-mountable" cases...

------------------
    Motherboard - ASUS Z97-AR
    Processor - i5-4670k 3.4GHz @ 4.5GHz
    CPU Cooler - Corsair H100 Watercooling
    Memory - 16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866
    Videocards - Dual-EVGA GTX-660ti 4002MB DDR5
    Powersupply - Corsair TX750watt @ Single 60amp 12v Rail
    Monitor - Asus Ultra-Wide 29" LED 2560x1080 @ 5ms
    Soundcard - ASUS Xonar Essence STX
    Receiver - Yamaha HTR-5930
    Speakers - Aiwa 150 watt 2-Channel & Cyber Acoustics 100 watt 5.1 Surround Sound & Sennheiser HD-598 Headphones
    Chassis - NZXT Phantom
    Operating System - Windows 7 Ultimate

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 07-22-2016).]

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2016 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    Check CL before you update Boonie. My local was has some crazy deals. $130 for a GTX960 4GB. $50 for RAM
    Jonesy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2016 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've got a few i7 sytems. Google Chrome just doesn't seem to run smoothly. Good processors though. Bit jealous of your GPU. Did you get a Samsung for your SSD? My liquid cooled i7 runs nice and smooth on a mild overclock. You going to upgrade to a 4K with that GPU?

I would love to game at 4K, (who wouldn't) but those monitors are so expensive.. Currently i game on a 36" HD monitor. Its not 4K but its large and still very nice, i just run everything in 1080p... But at least ill be ready for 4K when that time eventually does come.

I was actually just going to go with a 980ti 4gb, but the 1080 8gb was only a little more, so i went with that, ill get more longevity out of it. I have no plans to get into the VR craze either at the moment, at least not until they are a little more affordable, and have more support.

Heres what the case looks like. Which is pretty nice, but i actually like the case on my current system better, looks more "alien like", but i couldn't get that case anymore. But the new case is still nice..

[This message has been edited by Jonesy (edited 07-22-2016).]

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2016 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I would love to game at 4K, (who wouldn't) but those monitors are so expensive.. Currently i game on a 36" HD monitor. Its not 4K but its large and still very nice, i just run everything in 1080p... But at least ill be ready for 4K when that time eventually does come.

I was actually just going to go with a 980ti 4gb, but the 1080 8gb was only a little more, so i went with that, ill get more longevity out of it. I have no plans to get into the VR craze either at the moment, at least not until they are a little more affordable, and have more support.

Heres what the case looks like. Which is pretty nice, but i actually like the case on my current system better, looks more "alien like", but i couldn't get that case anymore. But the new case is still nice..

Buy one of the 4k TVs. They are cheap. Refresh isn't as fast, but I don't think your single GPU is going to hold 60FPS anyway. I am hearing people getting 30-40FPS dips on the regular. Seen a 65" for under $500. Was a lead time for shipping, but sound purchase in my opinion. Amazon had it. I think $460. I needed something for my kid quicker than that and my wife freaked the last time I put the 75" in our bedroom. Was goona give the kid our 55" and buy the 65" 4k and just my 75" Samsung until it arrived, but ended up getting a 50" for $235. It'll be here in a few minutes. Plenty for a 13 year old. I've got so many problems after my injury right now I can't be worried about TVs anyway.
    Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-22-2016 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've got so many problems after my injury right now I can't be worried about TVs anyway.

No doubt.
    I feel for ya', Brotha'.
    ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2016 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

No doubt.
    I feel for ya', Brotha'.

My ass and leg are looking proper. Tony and his s/o were rolling when they saw the photo. Couldn't believe I walked away from it.
    Jonesy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2016 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    Got a call from Fedex today that i have a large package due to be delivered tomorrow. They wanted to make sure someone would be there to sign for it.. So looks like my new computer will arrive tomorrow.. Pretty quick too, i was told it would be as late as the 10th before i got it..

[This message has been edited by Jonesy (edited 07-25-2016).]

PFF
    System Bot
    Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-25-2016 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    Anything left of your old parts?
    Jonesy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2016 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Anything left of your old parts?

Yeah, the video card and processor seem fine, not 100% sure about the RAM, windows is only detecting 8 gigs of it, when the machine has 16 gigs installed, so not sure if a memory stick got fried, or if the slot for it on the motherboard was fried.. (probably both) I'll have to test it later on. The hard drives seem fine too.

Jonesy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2016 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jonesy

4694 posts
    Member since Oct 2009
    Yeah just checked my order status on the alienware site.. Computer was shipped out this morning, so yeah looks like im getting my new computer tomorrow.
    Jonesy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2016 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    Well got my new computer Tuesday afternoon. After spending a couple hours turning off Cortana and all the file sharing and privacy settings, and then just learning Win10's layout, i don't mind it so much so far. Sure is fast ill say that.. My PC reboots in about 7 seconds..

Anyway got everything up and running, loaded up Steam, and played some of the new DOOM...

Got the graphics on ultra high settings at 1920 x 1080, and getting over 160fps.. lol..

Batman Arkham Knight running over 120fps.

So system is pretty sweet, performs great.

Only issue iv had so far is they overclocked the processor when i specifically told them not to when i made my order. I ended up getting an "Overclock failure".. So i went into the overclock untility in the Bios and disabled it so it runs at normal speed, and haven't had a problem since. I'v never been a fan of overclocking things. I prefer reliability and stability over getting a tiny bit more speed out of a system. I'm getting over 160fps in DOOM, i don't think it needs to be overclocked lol.

Other than that the system is great, runs games like butter, is super super quiet, and so far Windows 10 hasn't annoyed me much so far, still getting used to its layout.

[This message has been edited by Jonesy (edited 07-28-2016).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
    Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2016 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    And now for lightning/surge protection?
    Jonesy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2016 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

And now for lightning/surge protection?

Yeah, i plan to get new ones, the old one was hooked up to 3 of them, but the jolt apparently came through the cable.

tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2016 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    Back in the old dial up days I used to get a lot of repairs from phone line hits going through the modems and taking out the motherboard. Now it comes in through the cable lines and through the network.

[This message has been edited by tebailey (edited 07-28-2016).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-28-2016 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah, the video card and processor seem fine, not 100% sure about the RAM, windows is only detecting 8 gigs of it, when the machine has 16 gigs installed, so not sure if a memory stick got fried, or if the slot for it on the motherboard was fried.. (probably both) I'll have to test it later on. The hard drives seem fine too.

If you have any of that for sale, I'm trying to build yet another gift for someone who is just starting out in computers.
    I don't charge for this introduction, just trying to bring some interesting older people (my age) into the future (present)...

Let me know.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
    PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
    Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock