Started on: 06-15-2016 04:27 PM
Replies: 21 (554 views)
Last post by: theogre on 07-01-2016 11:45 PM
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2016 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Comcast will stop old Rental modems Without Notice. (Likely can spot ANY modems you own too.)
I woke to Need Activation but you can't to this online. You must call Comcast.
Why? They claim your modem is "out of date" and maybe true for some but yet last Arris TM702G DOCSIS3 Firmware of was after 03/10/16. The Real reason is They want ALL rental units to be Comcast's Hot Spots.
They will turn on your old modem and send you a new modem.

Notes:
If you have phone service and Modem has the battery to keep phone alive when power is down... New modems Do Not come with them.
Try to Make sure they send you same brand of modem.
Example: If you have Arris TM702G and some others then you tell them you want a another Arris not a Cisco and hope takes same battery. Very short story... "short" battery (SKU:790513 and related.) have change and might not work but "long" batteries (SKU:790512) work in current units. See http://shop.surfboard.com/a...m-back-up-batteries/ Cisco units won't take Arris batteries. New Batteries cost $35 to $60 plus shipping

If you have Home Hot Spots go to your Comcast account page online to shut off this "Feature." Having it active will cause signal problems for rest of devices in your home. If you know neighbors etc tell them that too. Many have no clue that Comcast Hot Spots is active by default and can hurt private WiFi range and speed.

Side Note:
If you have Motorola Modems... The Firmware will now have Arris labels. Even if you plug in a modem w/ old firmware will get firmware push updates from Cable Co. I've seen this happen. You just go to 192.168.100.1 to see Modem status etc.
Why? Arris bought out Moto Modems years back. Just slow to update older devices and most owners just don't look.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2016 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's infuriating that comcast thinks they can just resell the connection you're paying for as a "value-add" for any of their random custpmers that happen to be in range. The gall to advertise it as a feature in their commercials!

Thanks for the heads up. We have received emails of "your modem doesnt support our new faster internet", but I checked my (personal bought) modem and it's definitely DOCSIS 3. It just doesn't do their garbage. So far we haven't been disconnected.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post06-15-2016 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

If you have Home Hot Spots go to your Comcast account page online to shut off this "Feature." Having it active will cause signal problems for rest of devices in your home. If you know neighbors etc tell them that too. Many have no clue that Comcast Hot Spots is active by default and can hurt private WiFi range and speed.

Originally posted by kwagner:

Thanks for the heads up..

Ditto.
I have an Arris TG862...am I next?

Syke!
It was rhetorical.

We're ALL next!

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 06-15-2016).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2016 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well. THIS is interesting.
I have owned my own DOCSIS3 Motorola modem since we went with Comcast.
I just logged in to the 192.168.100.1 address, and... SURPRISE! Arris splash/login screen. (It still works with my Default Gateway address of 192.168.0.1, but goes to the same screen.)
I have a separate hot spot plugged in to the router and had disabled the modem's internal WIFI due to poor wireless performance. This was about a year ago.
I found the Wireless in the modem enabled, but I only allow connections by MAC address, so it's not like it was useful for anyone. Guest access was still turned off.

My wife called Comcast for some connection problem she was having with her iPad. They told her that the modem was configured incorrectly, and "fixed" it. I'm guessing that's when they did the firmware "upgrade".
To be fair, it does work better than it did. We used to have random "cannot load web page" or "cannot access mail server" messages and timeouts, that mysteriously cleared up. So they must have fixed something.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 06-15-2016).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2016 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Use your own if at all possible. Motorolla/Arris SB6183 and SB6121, no problems yet, rock solid stable.

As much as I hate Comcast, at least they let you use your own modem. Charter Communications back in Traverse City forces you to rent theirs, and they're pieces of garbage. Google Fiber can't expand quickly enough and wipe out these monopolies.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2016 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Others are or soon will have problems... Many who own their modems have problems now and getting nasty emails "your modem is old" etc. As seen above, Comcast et al can shut off service to old units.

Comcast no longer activates SB6121 and SB6141 rental units.Example:

Special Note on this Device
Only purchased SB6121 retail devices will continue to be activated on our network. The Comcast leased version of this device will no longer be activated.

Both above and Many others, including DOCSIS3 units, are listed as End Of Life. See http://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/ and click filter, End-Of-Life Devices

Originally posted by Boondawg:
Ditto.
I have an Arris TG862...am I next?

Syke!
It was rhetorical.

We're ALL next!
Funny but right now isn't end of life... I believe Arris TG862 are controlled by Comcast when you "rent" them. Not sure if you buy one their "safe" from Comcast control for many WiFi and other Router functions. Besides Hotspot problem, Comcast units cannot operate in bridge mode so you can use your own router. You have to get Comcast to set bridge mode.

It’s Totally Possible That Your Router Is Broadcasting Public Wi-Fi Right Now Slate
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2016 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

theogre

32301 posts
Member since Mar 99

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:
Use your own if at all possible. Motorolla/Arris SB6183 and SB6121, no problems yet, rock solid stable.

As much as I hate Comcast, at least they let you use your own modem. Charter Communications back in Traverse City forces you to rent theirs, and they're pieces of garbage. Google Fiber can't expand quickly enough and wipe out these monopolies.
SB6121 and 41 cover above... right now Arris SB6183 is good.

If you have Comcast Phone, you have few choices and those choices cost allot more.

"Google Fiber can't expand quickly enough and wipe out these monopolies." You believe that then you really have no clue. Google is as bad or worse then Comcast, FiOS and the rest. Many still believe Google's "Do No Evil" BS but Google is in trouble in many places, like EU hits Google with second antitrust charge (Reuters) and wants China money too.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2016 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
I just logged in to the 192.168.100.1 address, and... SURPRISE! Arris splash/login screen. (It still works with my Default Gateway address of 192.168.0.1, but goes to the same screen.)
All modems I've sen answer to 192.168.100.1 whether they are same unit or two boxes with the router.
Router and DHCP can be anything. Many routers live at 192.168.0.1 but defaults can vary by manufacturer and some users will change that for whatever reasons. (We'll skip IPv6 because doesn't matter to most users.)

You own or rent the hardware but not firmware(software) the modem runs on. All modem/gateway firmware is own by maker and installed/controlled by local Cable Co.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post06-16-2016 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
any customer unit that isn't up to date per Comcast, you can bet the maker of those units will have a firmware up date to fix that..

If, the new rented unit, has hot spot and is on a separate channel, and you are not charged for that data use,, and doesn't slow down your speed, ......I.E. paying customers use gets priority over the hot spot data user..

what is the harm??

I shut mine off when not in use anyways... no hot spot for you.. lol
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2016 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

SB6121 and 41 cover above... right now Arris SB6183 is good.

If you have Comcast Phone, you have few choices and those choices cost allot more.

"Google Fiber can't expand quickly enough and wipe out these monopolies." You believe that then you really have no clue. Google is as bad or worse then Comcast, FiOS and the rest. Many still believe Google's "Do No Evil" BS but Google is in trouble in many places, like EU hits Google with second antitrust charge (Reuters) and wants China money too. [/QUOTE]

Any competition is good. If you have more than 1 service available in an area, they're going to be forced to be competitive. And yes Google threw out the 'Do No Evil' mantra a long while back.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2016 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:
Any competition is good. If you have more than 1 service available in an area, they're going to be forced to be competitive. And yes Google threw out the 'Do No Evil' mantra a long while back.
Not likely.
Google will undercut starting price to get business thru the city etc but in the end will jack the price to recover cost. Google is in "loss leader phase" to push their service because their big enough to burn money to see if they get traction. They know can take 5-10 years and more to see results of this experiment. Google can simply walk away from the project, take a write off at tax time and never look back. Google have already shown will spend millions to billions then abandon a project.
And Google Fiber Copies Comcast, AT&T; Forces Users To Give Up Their Legal Right To Sue

Cable, Phone AND Power co's are fighting to keep Google off their poles and right of ways so don't hold you breath getting service anytime soon in many places.

Many areas have 2 now, Like Cable and FiOS here, and does very little to nothing to reduce overall prices. Comcast increases prices every year allot even with "competition." Triple Play is above $170 per month after 1 year of signing up.

NEW FiOS user you cat get X price for 1 year, Y Price for year 2 + taxes, equip. charges, RSN, FDV & other fees.
Added Fees Includes but not all... $80 setup, $10/mo router, $12/mo each HD Set Top Box
And they want contract for 2 years for most offers.
Verizon FiOS can be faster but you will pay allot more. 500bps Inet is over $200

Verizon SOLD FiOS operations to Frontier in some state and many have problems w/ Frontier.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 06-16-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2016 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RWDPLZ:
Not likely.
Google will undercut starting price to get business thru the city etc but in the end will jack the price to recover cost. Google is in "loss leader phase" to push their service because their big enough to burn money to see if they get traction. They know can take 5-10 years and more to see results of this experiment. Google can simply walk away from the project, take a write off at tax time and never look back. Google have already shown will spend millions to billions then abandon a project.
And Google Fiber Copies Comcast, AT&T; Forces Users To Give Up Their Legal Right To Sue

Cable, Phone AND Power co's are fighting to keep Google off their poles and right of ways so don't hold you breath getting service anytime soon in many places.

Many areas have 2 now, Like Cable and FiOS here, and does very little to nothing to reduce overall prices. Comcast increases prices every year allot even with "competition." Triple Play is above $170 per month after 1 year of signing up.

NEW FiOS user you cat get X price for 1 year, Y Price for year 2 + taxes, equip. charges, RSN, FDV & other fees.
Added Fees Includes but not all... $80 setup, $10/mo router, $12/mo each HD Set Top Box
And they want contract for 2 years for most offers.
Verizon FiOS can be faster but you will pay allot more. 500bps Inet is over $200

Verizon SOLD FiOS operations to Frontier in some state and many have problems w/ Frontier.

[/QUOTE]

I haven't heard the words lost leader in so long. Made me nostalgic of my grocery days. Seriously though "a lot" and "allot" don't mean the same and I'm sure based on how smart you are, you know the difference.

I'm with you though. Google doesn't have good intentions. They can throw money away indefinitely. They are not some humanitarian company. They've got an end game. I'm with Cox, but they took over. Multi-media communications in the late 90s. I miss them and their "roadrunner" cable internet. We had more than a T1 for less than $100. Sitting at 150Mb for $60/mo. Want the 300, but this was a retention offer. It's the exact same cost for them to give any speed, backbones can hold tons more than the 90s. Money talks though.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2016 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:
I haven't heard the words lost leader in so long. Made me nostalgic of my grocery days. Seriously though "a lot" and "allot" don't mean the same and I'm sure based on how smart you are, you know the difference.
Yes I know... I mix some words after my stoke and don't see the error most times. Sim to being Dyslexic. Like "NEW FiOS user you cat get X" cat should be can.
Typing w/ one hand and many programs spell check doesn't help. Even Word's Grammar check miss many errors.
(And I've tried Dragon Speaking and have problems w/ that too like Can't understand Many words to fix cars computers etc.)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 06-16-2016).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2016 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update:
Got new modem, Arris TG1682G w/ WiFi AC

It took my old battery, the long $60 one. Manual said "This is the standard battery for the TG1682." and rated for ~8hr. This uses more power then older units that same battery rated at 10-12hr
Manual (PDF link, use google.) said short Black and Grey batteries will work. Rated at ~4hr.

After I activated then login to the router itself... I was please to see Bridge Mode is user choice option now. (For this unit anyway) Before you have to get Comcast Support to set this. Bridge Mode allow you to kill Private Wifi and Router/Firewall functions so acts like an plain modem and you just plug in your router. Changing Normal to Bridge or other way takes several minutes.

when I call Comcast for modem problems, I told the woman I did not want Comcast's Hotspot.
I'm not sure if they disable this at Comcast before they send it or what. Might have disable this in my "profile" for the activation.
I've tried disable at the account/services page online but so far page says I don't have a hotspot modem so I'll wait a few days to make sure. Page might take hours to days for updated info. Might call them next week to confirm the modem profile has disable Hotspot or not.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2016 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kind of a tangent, but we just got notice that AT&T is installing fiber-to-the-home in our neighborhood. (Yippie ki yay...)
So I might get the privilege of having my yard dug up to run conduit and fiber. I can hardly wait.
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2016 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Kind of a tangent, but we just got notice that AT&T is installing fiber-to-the-home in our neighborhood. (Yippie ki yay...)
So I might get the privilege of having my yard dug up to run conduit and fiber. I can hardly wait.

Id be very happy if this were available to me. But.. most people don't use the internet for latency intensive purposes I guess.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2016 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Huh?? Most cable/fiber between house and "pedestal" is Direct Burial type and install w/o conduit.
FiOS and others in you neighborhood for a branch line are often DB installed too.
DB does very little damage to lawns etc. If installed correctly then any damage done often goes away after next rain or two.
One example Install and machine DB cable to a house... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jmjOobspQ4 from Ditch Witch
Make them smaller or a lot bigger depend how deep etc.

Only time I've seen conduit is on main trucks w/ multiple fibers, fiber(s) under a road, etc.
spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2016 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So far in this area, Comcast has limited their Public WIFI to business customers.

AFIK, no residential modems are affected yet.

See: How to Disable Comcast Xfinity Public Wi-Fi

Looks like Comcast is slowly rolling out this "feature".

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 06-18-2016).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2016 03:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spark1:
So far in this area, Comcast has limited their Public WIFI to business customers.
AFIK, no residential modems are affected yet.
Looks like Comcast is slowly rolling out this "feature".
Maybe for your area... Many of East Coast states are full of Homespots.
Again, I have a few in my neighborhood I see just in this room. Going for a little walk and you see many more.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2016 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Huh?? Most cable/fiber between house and "pedestal" is Direct Burial type and install w/o conduit.
Only time I've seen conduit is on main trucks w/ multiple fibers, fiber(s) under a road, etc.

From AT&T's letter to the HOA...
"Typically, two small send and receive pits (@18" x 48" x 36" deep) are dug as far apart as space management restrictions allow. Utilizing these pits, a boring machine pushes underground conduit between driveways and under roads. The fiber optic cable is then pulled through the conduit."

I've seen this type of work before, (I do telecom, for the power company, for a living) so I have no trouble picturing either scenario.

It's just that I deal with AT&T all day, at work. My contempt for them exceeds even my contempt for the Comcastards.
I would be much happier if it were Google. (They haven't pissed me off, yet.)

And AT&T is offering to re-sod any areas that don't regrow properly.

My main concern is that they'll dig up some of the existing infrastructure, since our electricity and cable (and, by extension, our internet) are all underground.
Comcast couldn't even install my neighbor's cable without cutting through the drop that goes to my house. (But then it is Comcast, who I truly believe, could find a way to tear up a crowbar in a sandbox. )

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 06-18-2016).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2016 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

From AT&T's letter to the HOA...
"Typically, two small send and receive pits (@18" x 48" x 36" deep) are dug as far apart as space management restrictions allow. Utilizing these pits, a boring machine pushes underground conduit between driveways and under roads. The fiber optic cable is then pulled through the conduit."
I've seen this type of work before, (I do telecom, for the power company, for a living) so I have no trouble picturing either scenario.
It's just that I deal with AT&T all day, at work. My contempt for them exceeds even my contempt for the Comcastards.
I would be much happier if it were Google. (They haven't pissed me off, yet.)
And AT&T is offering to re-sod any areas that don't regrow properly.
My main concern is that they'll dig up some of the existing infrastructure, since our electricity and cable (and, by extension, our internet) are all underground.
Comcast couldn't even install my neighbor's cable without cutting through the drop that goes to my house. (But then it is Comcast, who I truly believe, could find a way to tear up a crowbar in a sandbox. )
This is called Horizontal Boring operations. So people who don't know... To get from pit A to B, they can steer the bore anywhere underground. Horizontal Directional Drilling Installation Animation (YT)
Yes, They can hit things but for good operators this is rare. If they hit things then can kill workers and others and often have EPA OSHA etc (fed and state level) problems too.

Your neighborhood will likely have a mix. Most places do... Conduit for big/long sections, under roads, etc, and DB fiber from pedestals to each home and some other runs.

Cable and Phone hitting/cutting other wires from pedestal to home is common because:
Cable and Phone are often buried only inches. Kids, pets and other animals, even yard tools often dig them up w/o much effort.
Many line tech's don't bother using tools to prevent this.
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2016 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update...
When I call for modem problem, they lied... Told me no cost for new gateway. Wrong. The Bill is $15 for "self install kit" plus $10 per month after. I'll be returning the new modem just for this alone.

Plus I told them I didn't want Comcast home hot spot at all. As posted above wasn't active right after install and can't disable it thru my account page. Page reported modem doesn't have homespot
But...
About 02:30 the modem turn on the "feature" and then had to go to web page to disable it. Doing so, says takes up to a day to change settings on the modem. Does take a few hours but even that's too long.

How to tell? In my case, I'm awake at night many times and seen 2.4GHz led turn on. Both should be off because modem is in Bridge Mode. In Bridge Mode, turns into just a modem so your router sees raw internet. (5HGz led is on now but not all the time.)

Note that you cannot buy TG1682G. Feature List: WiFi AC, 32 channel down (24 in actual use*) and 8 up (3 in use*) and eMTA for phone service. Channel Bonding is used by modem to get a better faster connection. More channel can be a lot better especially w/ homespot active.

Only two older slower models/gateways w/ eMTA and the gateway TG862G is $200... they only have have WiFi N, 8 down and 4 up max. ( Download Speeds up to 320 Mbps and upload speeds up to 120 Mbps)

All modems I tried only has 3 up channels, including TG1682G.

* for Performance Pro tier, Blast might use more.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock