Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  What do you think about the Elio? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
What do you think about the Elio? by jmbishop
Started on: 03-04-2015 05:07 PM
Replies: 69 (1233 views)
Last post by: Formula88 on 07-06-2016 11:14 PM
jmbishop

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love the concept, I even believe them when they say they are building it to have a 5 star crash test rating. I want one.

My hang up is that the price makes it sound to good to be true. I don't think I could consider putting more than $100 if anything to hold my place in line until they are launched and people start taking delivery.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like it, but the way the folks drive those tanks next to it...not so sure.
Been in waaay too many accidents where we were stationary, and some asshat whomps into us...

"oopsie"
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love it! Want one but I am unwilling to put down a deposit up front on a promise that they *should* start building them any time (They were supposed to be building them already, they've pushed the production date back two or three times now). I will wait until (if) they go in to full production for a year or two and then get one.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want one, too. But I'm also going to wait until:

1) They actually go into production
2) They have a year or two to work out some bugs
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the Elio were styled like the Aptera I would be all over it like a cheap suit.

Having seen a mock-up of the Elio in person, that "bobsled" style backseat is VERY claustrophobic in my opinion.
I much prefer the side-by-side arrangement like the, (now unfortunately dead), Aptera concept.

For practical purposes, given the choice between an Elio and a Smart Car, I would likely go with the Smart.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

I like it, but the way the folks drive those tanks next to it...not so sure.
Been in waaay too many accidents where we were stationary, and some asshat whomps into us...

"oopsie"

People say the same about the Fiero because they can't comprehend how it could be safe.
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder what it's like in the snow?...
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought this thread was going to be about Mr. Castroneves.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Bubble Car ... a three wheeled car, circa 1950's - 60's.

The entry door ...
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

I wonder what it's like in the snow?...

They say it does pretty well, they've been putting miles on the orange prototype with a geo engine in it.

Caution, cheesy promotional video!

Final production is supposed to have abs, tcs and lsd
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What do you think about the Elio? by jmbishop

I think it needs another wheel !

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

They say it does pretty well, they've been putting miles on the orange prototype with a geo engine in it.

Caution, cheesy promotional video!

Nice! I was wondering how it would go with the single wheel in the back. I assumed it was rear wheel drive like most reverse trikes out there. Pretty kewl that it's front wheel drive though.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OKflyboy:

Love it! Want one but I am unwilling to put down a deposit up front on a promise that they *should* start building them any time (They were supposed to be building them already, they've pushed the production date back two or three times now). I will wait until (if) they go in to full production for a year or two and then get one.

This /\/\/\ I want one, but they are not getting a penny until I can drive one off the lot.

Jim

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Elio will be somewhere around the 10,000th one to roll off the assembly line....but, realistically, I threw away $100 to hold my place in line
I have the feeling they are either one man's pipe dream or a clever scam and will never make it to production.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think anyone, like myself, who drive back and forth to work every day - with no passengers - should be driving things like these. Don't think they're legal here, or weren't until recently...

I'd buy one...in 10 years, when I can pick one up used for a grand.

Meanwhile, I'll stick with my Geo Metro...
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beep beep beep beep
His horn went beep beep beep
While riding in my Cadillac
What to my surprise
A little orange Elio was following me
About one third my size
The guy musta wanted to pass me up
As he kept on tooting his horn
I'll show him that a Cadillac is not a car to scorn
Beep beep beep beep

(slowly)
I pushed my foot down to the floor
To give the guy the shake
But the little orange Elio stayed right behind
He still had on his brake
He musta thought his car had more guts
As he kept on tooting his horn (beep beep)
Beep beep beep beep

(normal speed)
My car went into passing gear
And we took off with gust (whoosh)
Soon we were going ninety
Musta left him in the dust
When I peeked in the mirror of my car
I couldn't believe my eyes
The little orange Elio was right behind
You'd think that guy could fly
Beep beep beep beep

(quickly)
Now we were doing a hundred and ten
This certainly was a race
For a lil Elio to pass a Caddy
Would be a big disgrace
The guy musta wanted to pass me up
As he kept on tooting his horn (beep beep)
Beep beep beep beep

(very quickly)
Now we're going a hundred twenty
As fast as I can go
The lil Elio pulled along side of me
As if we were going slow
The fella rolled down his window
And yelled for me to hear
"Hey buddy how do I get this car outa second gear?"
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stubby79:

I think anyone, like myself, who drive back and forth to work every day - with no passengers - should be driving things like these. Don't think they're legal here, or weren't until recently...

I'd buy one...in 10 years, when I can pick one up used for a grand.

Meanwhile, I'll stick with my Geo Metro...

If they have programs like the one mentioned in a press conference, finding them for 1g won't take 10 years.
They want to do a program where instead of financing the car and getting a car payment, you finance the car and get a special gas card. when the card is run you pay 3x the price of gas. the gas is paid for and the extra goes to pay off your loan. They are claiming they will approve anyone.

It may never happen but if it does it could be super successful program, The whole project could change the automotive industry if they make it to launch and follow through.

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 03-05-2015).]

weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 05:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh man I want one BAD! And I am already planning my GSXR 1000 motor swap into it!

Watch me SMOKE some fools!
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Remember back in the 50s................... when they promised us we would all have flyin cars and electricity too cheap to meter........................??
PFF
System Bot
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cooter:

My Elio will be somewhere around the 10,000th one to roll off the assembly line....but, realistically, I threw away $100 to hold my place in line
I have the feeling they are either one man's pipe dream or a clever scam and will never make it to production.

dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The BD-5. Anyone remember that one? I bit and contributed $500. They offered a factory built version of their $2600 kit for $4400 and the offer was delivered in a gorgeous picture of the sleek retractable single seater with the caption above saying "You've just run out of reasons for not owning your own plane". Jim Bede had other successful planes and I had watched a flyby at livermore airport. They also were offering a jet powered version for $20,000. You might remember watching it fly through a hanger in one of the James Bond movies. At least it's only $100 for you and who knows, it's not over yet.
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't wait to see if they can make the car live up to the claims for mpg & 5 star rating. I wish them luck. We've been watching the progress for a few years now.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/098875.html
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That thread is probably the first time I saw it.
Imnuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My son had his mid size car ran over by a pickup truck right in front of the windshield waiting at a intersection. Couldn't imagine what would have happened if he had been in that death trap.
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can imagine that they would be safer than a motorcycle. I would prefer a bright yellow color for one rather than the silver color that matches the color of the road.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It sure looks a lot like this thing,

http://pics.imcdb.org/0is171/powers18.3218.jpg

Without the tail of course.

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicl...-Corbin-Sparrow.html

Originally posted by dratts:

I can imagine that they would be safer than a motorcycle. I would prefer a bright yellow color for one rather than the silver color that matches the color of the road.

We have a friend who buys the brightest and awful colors that just draw you eyes to see them and makes you want to run that offending color off the face of the planet !

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 03-05-2015).]

Hank is Here

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been heaving about Elio a couple of years now. It seems they have prototypes and publicity tours happening but I don't see any details about production. Uless they address the actual aspects of production or schedule for production this sound sto be another Fiskar or Tucker type of company. A lot fo folks can build a prototype in their garage and get a lease on a building. Actually getting the lines setup and materials flowing to delivery a final product in another.

Mark
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1959 BMW Isetta.......with a "twist"

"Whatta-Drag"
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That esclade makes that thing look like a toy.. id hate to be on the reciving end of a semi in that thing... Now as for the car itself... its about the only car that will be made in America... not many of our own American brands can even say that.

which its funny... did you know that America the country that invented the TV... Now does not even make a TV

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 03-05-2015).]

Falcon Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon FieroSend a Private Message to Falcon FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am hoping to get one too......

Reminds me a lot of the Pulse I had a while back. Pulse got close to 100mpg with stock motor.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beep, Beep

Falcon Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon FieroSend a Private Message to Falcon FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First engine run.....

NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And wings!
And a playstation!
And a built in massage drivers seat!
And an optional unicorn horn on the hood!
It'll be personally delivered by a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model or Maxim girl, your choice!

The wings will come in handy, because if this car ever goes into production, you'll be dodging flying pigs on your way to work .

Example: The Dale.
http://gas2.org/2013/08/21/...-quacks-like-a-dale/

[This message has been edited by NEPTUNE (edited 03-06-2015).]

CharlieHorse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CharlieHorseSend a Private Message to CharlieHorseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not afraid of a small car. I can drive circles around most things on the road. The trick is to keep your eyes open and drive with full awareness and escape routes at all times and assume everyone else is on a cell phone or blonde.

In short, drive like you're riding a motorcycle and you're good. Soon enough everyone is going to be driving a small car while their SUVs and jacked up trucks are sitting in the garage waiting for a reason that one would pay for 15$/gallon gas to haul something or a lot of people. But you wont see a small woman going to get her nails done in a truck so big she has to climb into it with a ladder.

[This message has been edited by CharlieHorse (edited 03-06-2015).]

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post03-06-2015 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the only way this could be safe, and why it may get a 5 star rating is anything that hit it will just punt it.
I'd hate to see what a cross wind would do to it..
besides if you are going to go this far for mpg, make it have less frontal area, and use a screen to see where you are going,, on the science channel, the show outrageous acts of science, they had a pedal bike going 87mph,

so just make a pointed tube with a tail to kill drag and use a screen to drive and you lay down instead of being seated, scaled down land speed streamliner, if you are going to risk death to save a few gallons of fuel a week, might as go all the way..
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The elio has front/rear crumple zones and airbags. The distance between the outer door and the center of your chest is greater than the average car. It is believable that it's safe, it could easily be safer than my wife's sentra.
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 03-06-2015).]

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where is their factory?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock