Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  I'm More Badazz Then I Even Thought. On A Very Hot Day, I Can Outrun A Horse... (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
I'm More Badazz Then I Even Thought. On A Very Hot Day, I Can Outrun A Horse... by Boondawg
Started on: 02-20-2015 09:12 PM
Replies: 182 (3259 views)
Last post by: Jake_Dragon on 05-31-2015 09:12 AM
theBDub

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Yeah, that's all that's happening here...I'm trying to get out of claiming I can out-run a horse.
Nevermind the link to the actual story...

Listen, if enough people are tired of my....."Posting Style"() ruining T/OT for everyone else (since engaging personal self-control and just not reading it seems to be out of the question), the much beloved rating system is in place to solve just that problem.
Or you can just get ahold of Mr. Pennock, if you feel you (or the site) are somehow being wronged by my posts.

Of course, you could always just practice personal responsibility and not read them at all.
Is that really so hard?

I don't, usually. Only came here because of another thread in which someone attacked you, then another poster linked this thread. I already knew the subject matter, no sense in opening it. But then I saw all the juicy drama.

I don't really care why you do what you do, or anything. It's really nothing to me. I was just posting my little 2 cents.

Pennocks means very little to me anymore. But I come here to check up every once in awhile. They're still conversations I enjoy having, sometimes.
IP: Logged
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post02-24-2015 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theBDub:

I don't, usually.

I didn't mean you you.
I meant the royal you.
People.

I should have used the word others.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You haven't brought anything to the table to suggest that they can beat humans at long distance. The original post does. I stand by exactly what I said. You didn't talk about how long any of the animals can maintain their speeds. Just one vague statement in a sea of drivel.

Here dick head, did you ever see the movie hidalgo,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidalgo_(film)

A horse doesn't have to run flat out to beet a man in a 26 mile race.

http://www.teviscup.org/

http://www.ironhorse100kmclub.com/info.html

The Pony Express was not the first system to use a horse relay over a great distance. That distinction belonged to the Mongolian conqueror Genghis Khan, whose riders, according to Marco Polo, rode between stations situated about 25 miles (40 km) apart in his Asian empire, with a single rider carrying messages as far as 300 miles (480 km) in one day. Some six centuries later, between 1825 and 1830, American newspapers also used horse relays between New York and Boston to gather news, though the distances involved were exponentially shorter and the ground traversed much less remote than the nearly 2,000 miles (3,200 km) of treacherous wilderness covered by the Pony Express.

The first half of the route they established followed the Oregon Trail. From St. Joseph it passed through Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado, and Wyoming to Utah. West of Salt Lake City it departed from the familiar pioneer trail and took a more southerly course through Nevada, ending in San Francisco—a total distance of some 1,840 miles (2,960 km). To meet its guarantee of 10-day delivery of mail (letters and newspapers only) from St. Joseph to San Francisco, the company required its horses to be ridden at top speed. The horses, therefore, could not run a great distance and had to be changed every 10–15 miles (16 to 24 km), depending on the terrain. The company established nearly 200 relay stations along the route, at each of which the rider quickly took the mochila—a specially designed saddlebag with mail pouches, which weighed about 20 pounds (9 kg) when filled—from his saddle and threw it on a fresh mount. Home stations were scattered along the route, with food and sleeping quarters for riders after they had ridden all day (or night) to hand off the mochila to a new rider. Because existing stage stations were often not close enough together for Pony Express use, additional stations had to be built. Because most of the trail through Utah and Nevada crossed wasteland, nearly all of the relay stations there (rudimentary structures, providing the barest essentials for survival) had to be built from scratch. In parts of the western route, the trail itself had to be surveyed to ensure that it was the fastest route

http://www.britannica.com/E...ea-of-a-Pony-Express

Even if the horse is only at a trot a man can not keep up the distance a horse can at even close to the horses speed, not even close. Even my wife says that and she has an Arabian mare that is a descendant of hidalgo.

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 02-24-2015).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carnut122:

Not at all. I guess I should have put in "(sarcasm)" after my word "too" in my previous post. I was just piling onto your "blame Boonie" post as an apparently too subtle jab at the bandwagoners (who should show up below to point out my bandwagonning without ever admitting their own). Having read through this thread, I see a bunch of folks dog-piling Boonie for what was obviously just another one of his creative titles.

Carnut, thanks for clarifying my confusion with your original post. I appreciate your response.

There have been so many weird things stated in this silly thread that I'm now no longer able to make sense of even the simplest posts.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-24-2015 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone wrote the scientists that say a man can out-run a horse in a 26.2 mile (why that number?) on a hot day, to refute their scientific claim, with proof of your own?
I would think proving them wrong would make pretty big news.

Or is just refuting it to me good enough?
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Has anyone wrote the scientists that say a man can out-run a horse in a 26.2 mile (why that number?) on a hot day, to refute their scientific claim, with proof of your own?

Look at my last post Boonie, not that I care to say anything against you or your posting of this article and taking it at face value, I was just telling the educated one he is wrong, I know you just took the article at face value and know nothing about horses. I think those who are trying to degrade you have a problem with anyone who posts anything that ain't exactly right. Me I could care less and for the most part like most all of you threads.

There oh educated one is that proof enough for you ?

Steve

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

We all know you are a secret scientist, infiltrating our schools with books teaching kids that horses are slow runners, just for kicks.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-24-2015 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

We all know you are a secret scientist, infiltrating our schools with books teaching kids that horses are slow runners, just for kicks.

A Prayer To The Dark One (me):

Seductive and lustful Boondawg, infernal messenger of all that is dark and pleasing to the flesh, lure the self-righteous holy ones from their bigoted and hateful ways. O beautiful and wise Serpent of Eden, tempt them with all the knowledge and pleasures of this life, so much sweeter than their bitter hatred and intolerance. Awaken in their hearts and in their loins the carnal desires for all things depraved and vile. In your name we curse all who deny others pleasure and all who would silence us. Hail Boondawg!

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 02-24-2015).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-24-2015 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well, that's the crux of the issue, at least for me. You see those "scientists" didn't offer any PROOF.
They made a lot of assumptions and made a lot of claims and put forward a rather hard to believe HYPOTHESIS but didn't offer any EVIDENCE or PROOF of their claims.

I asked you why you seem so eager to accept or defend their claims, which basically ended in your reply of; "people are free to believe what they wish to believe" (please feel free to correct my paraphrasing, but I think I have correctly captured the essence of it).

You provided some weblinks, including some general Google links which I did look at, and as I told you it took me about 45 seconds to find EMPIRICAL DATA of 34 YEARS of actual marathon length races between humans and horses run between 1980 to 2014 that clearly show that the claims made by the "scientists" that authored that paper are HIGHLY SUSPECT. The horses have won 32 out of 34 races and the 2 times that humans have won *appear* to be because the horses have always been HANDICAPPED by a time penalty in the races for "vet checks". Despite this the horses, (with riders by the way), have overwhelmingly prevailed, even on recorded HOT days.

In other words:

AVAILABLE DATA does not agree with the HYPOTHESIS of the "scientific" paper.

I also asked you to carefully look at the basic math that the authors of that paper used in regard to simple time/speed/distance calculations and to question the ASSUMPTIONS they put forth regarding the m/s, (meters per second) speeds of humans and mammals.

Those numbers simply DO NOT agree with other sources, not to mention that the m/s speeds for humans were cited as *conditional*, (i.e. "an "elite athlete"), This is another subset of hypothetical thinking and pure conjecture. Not proof.

HOWEVER, as I said before, I don't care what YOU BELIEVE. You are free to believe horseshit if you want to.
I confess that I'm a bit pedantic about the distinction between THEORY and proven FACT and that so-called "research" that you seem to be defending was long on claims and
short on evidence.

I asked you before, is it just because the authors have "Harvard" or "PhD" in their titles?

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Aw randye that was the chance for the thread to end on a high note
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-24-2015 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

Well, that's the crux of the issue, at least for me. You see those "scientists" didn't offer any PROOF.
They made a lot of assumptions and made a lot of claims and put forward a rather hard to believe HYPOTHESIS but didn't offer any EVIDENCE or PROOF of their claims.

...as I told you it took me about 45 seconds to find EMPIRICAL DATA of 34 YEARS of actual marathon length races between humans and horses run between 1980 to 2014 that clearly show that the claims made by the "scientists" that authored that paper are HIGHLY SUSPECT. The horses have won 32 out of 34 races and the 2 times that humans have won *appear* to be because the horses have always been HANDICAPPED by a time penalty in the races for "vet checks". Despite this the horses, (with riders by the way), have overwhelmingly prevailed, even on recorded HOT days.

In other words:

AVAILABLE DATA does not agree with the HYPOTHESIS of the "scientific" paper.

I also asked you to carefully look at the basic math that the authors of that paper used in regard to simple time/speed/distance calculations and to question the ASSUMPTIONS they put forth regarding the m/s, (meters per second) speeds of humans and mammals.

Those numbers simply DO NOT agree with other sources, not to mention that the m/s speeds for humans were cited as *conditional*, (i.e. "an "elite athlete"), This is another subset of hypothetical thinking and pure conjecture. Not proof.

So why are people telling me?

I didn't ask.
I didn't write the article.

People are free to believe what they want.
Their argument is with the scientists, not me.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

HOWEVER, as I said before, I don't care what YOU BELIEVE. You are free to believe horseshit if you want to.
I confess that I'm a bit pedantic about the distinction between THEORY and proven FACT and that so-called "research" that you seem to be defending was long on claims and short on evidence.

Did you have money on this race or what?

Seriously, I don't know what the big deal is about this particular topic. Will you be scrutinizing every thread in O/T this carefully from now on?

This thread is just so bizarre. People that I like are jumping all over Boonie in a throwaway thread about an imaginary race between a horse and a man. I just don't get it. Is there a full moon coming up?
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Aw randye that was the chance for the thread to end on a high note

It still can,

and believe me, I am NOT trying to hector Boonie on this.
I have given short guest lectures at MIT and Harvard, (in my specialty) years ago, and trust me, I am far from being cowed by any Ivy League titles or attitudes.
I learned a long time ago to question just about everything that comes out of some of those august institutions now.
What particularly chafes me, is "bad science', especially when is perpetrated "with credentials", and then it is passed along by people like that NYT writer in a puff piece and the public picks up on it and accepts it as "gospel".
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Here dick head, did you ever see the movie hidalgo,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidalgo_(film)

A horse doesn't have to run flat out to beet a man in a 26 mile race.

http://www.teviscup.org/

The Pony Express was not the first system to use a horse relay over a great distance. That distinction belonged to the Mongolian conqueror Genghis Khan, whose riders, according to Marco Polo, rode between stations situated about 25 miles (40 km) apart in his Asian empire, with a single rider carrying messages as far as 300 miles (480 km) in one day. Some six centuries later, between 1825 and 1830, American newspapers also used horse relays between New York and Boston to gather news, though the distances involved were exponentially shorter and the ground traversed much less remote than the nearly 2,000 miles (3,200 km) of treacherous wilderness covered by the Pony Express.

The first half of the route they established followed the Oregon Trail. From St. Joseph it passed through Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado, and Wyoming to Utah. West of Salt Lake City it departed from the familiar pioneer trail and took a more southerly course through Nevada, ending in San Francisco—a total distance of some 1,840 miles (2,960 km). To meet its guarantee of 10-day delivery of mail (letters and newspapers only) from St. Joseph to San Francisco, the company required its horses to be ridden at top speed. The horses, therefore, could not run a great distance and had to be changed every 10–15 miles (16 to 24 km), depending on the terrain. The company established nearly 200 relay stations along the route, at each of which the rider quickly took the mochila—a specially designed saddlebag with mail pouches, which weighed about 20 pounds (9 kg) when filled—from his saddle and threw it on a fresh mount. Home stations were scattered along the route, with food and sleeping quarters for riders after they had ridden all day (or night) to hand off the mochila to a new rider. Because existing stage stations were often not close enough together for Pony Express use, additional stations had to be built. Because most of the trail through Utah and Nevada crossed wasteland, nearly all of the relay stations there (rudimentary structures, providing the barest essentials for survival) had to be built from scratch. In parts of the western route, the trail itself had to be surveyed to ensure that it was the fastest route

http://www.britannica.com/E...ea-of-a-Pony-Express

Even if the horse is only at a trot a man can not keep up the distance a horse can at even close to the horses speed, not even close. Even my wife says that and she has an Arabian mare that is a descendant of hidalgo.

Steve

Steve, how many times do I have to say this?

I was always told it was because we can carry our water with us, whereas every other animal has to stop and drink.

I am of the understanding that humans can outrun virtually all animals over long distances, which is how we used to hunt (and some African tribes still do). Now, about horses? I have no direct knowledge. Horses are probably one of the few that can outrun us. I don't really know.

Dude.

I said that I was of the understanding.

Not that I knew.

I very clearly said that I don't know anything about horses, and that it could be one of the few animals that can. I honestly have no idea.

You call me the "oh educated one" when I have clearly stated.. multiple times... I have no knowledge of this stuff. You want to talk to me about something that I know about and tell me I'm wrong because you are older than me? Alright, I'll call you an idiot again, like I have multiple times, and prove you wrong. But if you want to talk about horses, I'll let you have it. I have no false sense of pride like you think I have.

But by all means, Steve, keep using up your energy to, uh, "prove me wrong." I'm sure you'll get out of it just want you want to.

And no, I have not seen that movie.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And no, I have not seen that movie.

Actually a good historically accurate movie about a very long distance race in Arabian or several countries now over there that have had the race for centuries.

Held yearly for centuries, the Ocean of Fire--a 3,000 mile survival race across the Arabian desert--was a challenge restricted to the finest Arabian horses ever bred, the purest and noblest lines, owned by the greatest royal families. In 1890, a wealthy sheik invited an American, Frank T. Hopkins, and his horse to enter the race for the first time. During the course of his career, Hopkins was a cowboy and dispatch rider for the U.S. cavalry--and had once been billed as the greatest rider the West had ever known. The Sheik puts his claim to the test, pitting the American cowboy and his mustang, Hidalgo, against the world's greatest Arabian horses and Bedouin riders--some of whom are determined to prevent a foreigner from finishing the race. For Frank, the Ocean of Fire becomes not only a matter of pride and honor, but a race for his very survival as he and his horse attempt the impossible.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0317648/

Obviously nether did the PHDs who wrote that paper.

Steve
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Actually a good historically accurate movie about a very long distance race in Arabian or several countries now over there that have had the race for centuries.

Since everyone seems to be so concerned about "facts", I thought I'd do a little research of my own.

Sorry Steve, you're not going to like this.

A Mirage in the Desert

But what shocks those who have looked into the Ocean of Fire in the Middle East is that the race itself didn't exist. Peter Harrigan, a journalist stationed in Saudi Arabia, saw an early Hidalgoscript and began to wonder about the epic race. While writing a series of articles about it in the Arab News, Harrigan contacted Yemen's Ghalib Al-Quaiti, the last ruling Sultan of the area including Aden and an Oxford- and Cambridge-educated historian. His blunt conclusion about the race: "There is absolutely no record of any horse race in the past staged from Aden or from anywhere in that part of Arabia. Southern Arabia has never been known for its horses."

Just goes to prove you can't trust anyone, especially Disney.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Are you not the one that posted it--"spread the gospel" so to speak?
Did the scientist come here and do it--or did you?
If I post something here, I don't for one second expect people to take my word for it, nor do I expect anyone to give me carte blanch while disputing what I posted, even if it's someone else's article. I also don't expect anyone to hold me harmless if what I pasted or linked to is in error or completely false. I'm the one that logged on here, typed out the letters and words and then hit "submit".
I really don't understand why so seem so upset with this--what's happening in this thread is no different than what each and everyone of us gets when we post something that others take issue with. It's why WE post things--so WE can have a discussion among ourselves regarding what WE post. Otherwise, this forum wouldn't exist--we would all be having our conversation in the comments sections of the news websites and via email with the writers of the original articles.
Sharing of information and discussion of said information is what defines any discussion board. Sometimes people agree-sometimes they do not--very rarely is something posted and everyone just read it, say "hmm" and go to another topic.

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-24-2015 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Since everyone seems to be so concerned about "facts", I thought I'd do a little research of my own.

Sorry Steve, you're not going to like this.

Interesting.
Are people going to start piling onto poor Steve now, for posting something that the facts just don't support, regardless of whether he knew it or not?

Good luck, Steve.
You know I'm pulling for you!

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I really don't understand why some seem so upset with this...

It's because it's become a personal attack.

Don, you know I like and respect you a lot, but I'm at a loss as to why you keep picking away at Boonie.

In my previous post, I demonstrated that Steve posted something that turns out to be completely bogus. Did I rake him over the coals for it? No, I simply linked to an informative article and left it at that. There's no point needlessly belittling anyone here, especially over piddly stuff like this!

Can't we just give it a rest... please.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-24-2015 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Are you not the one that posted it--"spread the gospel" so to speak?

WTF?
"Spread the gospel"?
I wasn't spreading anything.
I'm not selling anything.
I posted a link.

Spreading the gospel...

I also don't expect anyone to hold me harmless if what I pasted or linked to is in error or completely false.

WTF?
I'm not responsible for what they write.
Just as I'm not responsible for weather you click the link.....or read it.....or believe it...

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-24-2015 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

Sure Cliff loves the waste of bandwith of your constant posting of crap starting thread, after thread, after thread, after thread, after thread,......

Kevin

Really?
I'll ask.

P.M. sent.
I'll let you know.

I asked.
He has no problem with the frequency or amount I post.
He suggested that maybe I should let ya'all decide, since you are my target audience.

I don't mind...hell, there's a thread already plenty funkafied for just such an undertaking (shovels extra)!

P.S. He didn't say I actually had to listen to what you decide...

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-24-2015 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003
You know, it's probably the people that have not posted in this thread that are the REALLY smart ones among us.
Think about it...
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Just goes to prove you can't trust anyone, especially Disney.

....or Harvard PhD marathon runners that write papers claiming humans can outrun horses and offer no supporting evidence, (and ignore abundant evidence to the contrary).

....or New York Times writers that unquestioningly parrot those papers as authoratative.

....or folks that read those NYT articles and BELIEVE them.

....or Disney
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never mind.

[This message has been edited by carnut122 (edited 02-24-2015).]

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You know, it's probably the people that have not posted in this thread that are the REALLY smart ones among us.
Think about it...

May we then assume that the inverse corollary is also true, noting that you have posted 40 times in this thread?
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-24-2015 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

May we then assume that the inverse corollary is also true, noting that you have posted 40 times in this thread?

Oh, absolutely!
And you counted them...
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oh, absolutely!
And you counted them...

AVAILABLE DATA
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
February 7-8, 2015 at 7:00 AM, EDT
Time Limit: This is a 28 hour race. All three events must be completed within 28 hours.
Registration: Registration begins September 1, 2014. All registration forms and liability releases need to be mailed to the Race Director at the address below.
Location: Old Norfolk and Southern Rail Trail starting in Florahome, Florida at the corner of State Rd. 100 and Coral Farms Rd. Course goes west 1.75 miles then turnaround and go east 4 miles on the Rail Trail to Holloway Rd. Veer left off the Rail Trail onto the powerline easement. Go approximately 1.75 miles to Aid Station 2 at the primitive camp entrance to the Etonish Creek St Forest. In the forest the course is 13.5 miles of forest service roads. Return to the powerline easement, go right and 1.75 miles to Holloway Rd and then 2 miles on the Rail Trail to Florahome. Good running. The Rail Trail portion is paved. Each loop is 25 miles. 100 milers do it 4 times, 100km 2.5 times and 50 milers 2 times. Course is flat and scenic.
986 Lakeridge Dr.
Orange Park, FL 32065
Phone: 904-655-6511
E-mail: crodatz@bellsouth.net
Qualifying: Applicants for the 100 mile event must have completed a 50 mile race since January 1, 2014 or provide other proof of adequate conditioning and/or suitable running history.
Medical: 100 mile entrants will be weighed at check in and again at 75 miles. If body weight has fluctuated more than 7% then runner will be required to stop and rehydrate or take nourishment. Whether runner will be allowed to continue is solely at the discretion of the race medical staff. (Florida is humid even in February.
Entry Fees: 100 mile: $160
100 km: $100
50 mile: $80

Sorry for the fee increase but we now have to pay a usage fee to the State of Florida. Registration must be made by postal mail to the above address. Checks made out to Chris Rodatz or Iron Horse 100 Mile Endurance Run. No Entries after January 15, 2015. NO REFUNDS.
Awards: 100 mile: Silver and gold (simulated) buckle to under 24 hr finishers.
Brass buckle to under 28 hr finishers.
100 km: Brass buckle to all finishers.
50 Mile: Finishers medallion.
100 mile winners get a silver buckle.
Note: Water bottles are recommended due to the humidity.
Motel Info: The host hotel is the Holiday Inn Express Palatka at 3813 Reid St., Palatka, FL 32177, (386) 325-2500. This is a new motel and they are giving us a rate of $89/night. The best thing about it is that it is only 13 miles from the start/finish. Mention Iron Horse Endurance Races when you call in. If there are any problems with the rate e-mail me at crodatz@bellsouth.net. The Sleep Inn at 3805 Reid St has also offered rooms at $60/night. Phone Number: 386-325-8889. There are numerous restaurants within two miles ofs the motel and there is a Walmart for last minute supplies on Hwy 19.
Race Briefing: The race briefing/check-in will be held Friday the 6th at 5:30pm at the start/finish line in Florahome and will last no more than one hour. There will be a second briefing at 6am Saturday morning at the starting line for those coming in late.
Crews & Pacers: There are crew points at about five spots on the course. Pacers only during the last half of your race. No bicycles are allowed on the course.
Aid Stations: There will be three manned and stocked aid stations with drink and food. There will be one un-manned station on East V Road with water only. Food will consist of PB&J sandwiches, potatoes, chips, candy, cookies, bananas/oranges,etc. Drink will be water and HEED.
Party Central: As with all Iron Horse races, party central will be at the start/finish line. We will have burgers, brats, beer, etc. for runners and their families at no charge. Burn barrels will be going all night.

So - plan on having a good time and a good race. We want everyone who enters to finish and have a positive experience.

Click here to download this entire document, including directions & map

Time Limit: This is a 28 hour race. All three events must be completed within 28 hours.
Registration: Registration begins September 1, 2014. All registration forms and liability releases need to be mailed to the Race Director at the address below.
Location: Old Norfolk and Southern Rail Trail starting in Florahome, Florida at the corner of State Rd. 100 and Coral Farms Rd. Course goes west 1.75 miles then turnaround and go east 4 miles on the Rail Trail to Holloway Rd. Veer left off the Rail Trail onto the powerline easement. Go approximately 1.75 miles to Aid Station 2 at the primitive camp entrance to the Etonish Creek St Forest. In the forest the course is 13.5 miles of forest service roads. Return to the powerline easement, go right and 1.75 miles to Holloway Rd and then 2 miles on the Rail Trail to Florahome. Good running. The Rail Trail portion is paved. Each loop is 25 miles. 100 milers do it 4 times, 100km 2.5 times and 50 milers 2 times. Course is flat and scenic.
986 Lakeridge Dr.
Orange Park, FL 32065
Qualifying: Applicants for the 100 mile event must have completed a 50 mile race since January 1, 2014 or provide other proof of adequate conditioning and/or suitable running history.
Medical: 100 mile entrants will be weighed at check in and again at 75 miles. If body weight has fluctuated more than 7% then runner will be required to stop and rehydrate or take nourishment. Whether runner will be allowed to continue is solely at the discretion of the race medical staff. (Florida is humid even in February.

Sorry for the fee increase but we now have to pay a usage fee to the State of Florida. Registration must be made by postal mail to the above address. Checks made out to Chris Rodatz or Iron Horse 100 Mile Endurance Run. No Entries after January 15, 2015. NO REFUNDS.
Motel Info: The host hotel is the Holiday Inn Express Palatka at 3813 Reid St., Palatka, FL 32177, (386) 325-2500. This is a new motel and they are giving us a rate of $89/night. The best thing about it is that it is only 13 miles from the start/finish. Mention Iron Horse Endurance Races when you call in. If there are any problems with the rate e-mail me at crodatz@bellsouth.net. The Sleep Inn at 3805 Reid St has also offered rooms at $60/night. Phone Number: 386-325-8889. There are numerous restaurants within two miles ofs the motel and there is a Walmart for last minute supplies on Hwy 19.
Race Briefing: The race briefing/check-in will be held Friday the 6th at 5:30pm at the start/finish line in Florahome and will last no more than one hour. There will be a second briefing at 6am Saturday morning at the starting line for those coming in late.
Crews & Pacers: There are crew points at about five spots on the course. Pacers only during the last half of your race. No bicycles are allowed on the course.
Aid Stations: There will be three manned and stocked aid stations with drink and food. There will be one un-manned station on East V Road with water only. Food will consist of PB&J sandwiches, potatoes, chips, candy, cookies, bananas/oranges,etc. Drink will be water and HEED.
Party Central: As with all Iron Horse races, party central will be at the start/finish line. We will have burgers, brats, beer, etc. for runners and their families at no charge. Burn barrels will be going all night.

So - plan on having a good time and a good race. We want everyone who enters to finish and have a positive experience.

986 Lakeridge Dr.
Orange Park, FL 32065

How about that one Patrick, is that also a lie?

The story by Hoskins may be fluff, but the race still was run many times over many years as well.

I was not ever jumping on Boonie he made a simple mistake like I just did by taking something I read about the movie being a factual account of his life and the race. The race was and is real, just like the one above is real.

And I was also wrong about what I said about Melanie's Arabian Mare, her genealogy dates back to one of the Arabian horses who won that oceans of fire race, Not Hidalgo, None of us are perfect, many have areas of expertise that others do not. We all have problems, mine are medical, but some here have problems with picking someone to peace's when they spell something wrong, title a thread that might offend someone, be mistaken about a fact because they believe something they read on the idiotnet. None of us is perfect, especially me with my STML problems, I sometimes post things that are wrong and with very bad grammar and spelling.

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 02-24-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How about that one Patrick, is that also a lie?

The story by Hoskins may be fluff, but the race still was run many times over many years as well.

I was not ever jumping on Boonie he made a simple mistake like I just did by taking something I read about the movie being a factual account of his life and the race. The race was and is real, just like the one above is real.
Steve

UH, Steve.....Despite it's name, there are no horses in that race.
One of my attorney friends ran in that last year. I'm pretty sure he isn't a horse and I don't recall him mentioning any horses either.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 02-24-2015).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I was not ever jumping on Boonie he made a simple mistake like I just did by taking something I read about the movie being a factual account of his life and the race.

OMG...

Steve, I had never suggested that you were jumping on Boonie. You've obviously misunderstood the intent of my post. It was to demonstrate that the world is full of untruths, and that we don't need to crucify someone who gets fooled (or just innocently passes these "untruths" along)... whether it be Boonie or you. I explained it further HERE.

The race was and is real...

Believe what you wish, it has no bearing on me.

A Mirage in the Desert

But what shocks those who have looked into the Ocean of Fire in the Middle East is that the race itself didn't exist. Peter Harrigan, a journalist stationed in Saudi Arabia, saw an early Hidalgoscript and began to wonder about the epic race. While writing a series of articles about it in the Arab News, Harrigan contacted Yemen's Ghalib Al-Quaiti, the last ruling Sultan of the area including Aden and an Oxford- and Cambridge-educated historian. His blunt conclusion about the race: "There is absolutely no record of any horse race in the past staged from Aden or from anywhere in that part of Arabia. Southern Arabia has never been known for its horses."

I still say there must be a full moon coming up.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-25-2015).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

WTF?
I'm not responsible for what they write.
Just as I'm not responsible for weather you click the link.....or read it.....or believe it...

Neither is the weatherman, but you are more than a little aware he gets the blame when he's wrong, and very recently, the national weather service even apologized for being wrong when they warned of a huge freeze and mega snow storm they forecast for NYC (that didn't happen)

Posting a link or even the text of a linked article is one thing, but when you (or I) interject our selves and our own thoughts into it (as you did here in OP and as I did in reply to the thread about the girl killed by the Jordanian air strike) we can expect push back on a more personal level. I knew my position on the Mueller girl would be unpopular, but I didn't care how my thoughts would be received or replied to. It's part of what discussion is defined as.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-24-2015 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The End.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2015 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The one thing I AM NOT concerned with is the AMOUNT of posts people think I should or should not post.

I will take you at your word. I would point out though it is not about the number of posts you "post". It is about thread content.
What is the one thing you are concerned about with your postings. Is it the post count ?
Weeks back some have suggested you should put all your interests in one thread. Any fans of yours would follow your blog.
I don't give a dang about my post count. At times I see it, when others hoopla about theirs, or admire the post count of others. I remember. You used to be way ahead of mine, then fell behind. By a lot. I guess it was your relocation. Now you are more ahead than you were behind. I still slept well.
I became aware of post counts. Started looking at them. I became aware of how they worked. You/me, we don't get an extra "count" when we reply to the same thread of one which we have already replied to. "So what" you might ask. I would reply "meh". What I did notice was the "views" and "replies" count.
My analysis is that if you get one reply for ten views, you have created an interesting thread for our community. Not that any others could not be interesting to some. Which is what our community is also about.

The question is how does a post featuring a article about the ability of a human to out-run a horse in a 26.2 mile marathon on a hot day turn into personal attacks on the poster?

Hmm. Do you really think that is what it is about ? A horse and a human in a race ?

Or people could just not read what I post.
See, I just cant see another's lack of self-control as a problem that is mine.

To be truthful, I have started avoiding your topics. Your threads. I can even recognize that they are yours by your thread title, most times. We are looking for food, for our intelligence. We like the feel good stuff too though. You are a good contributor.
I don't know what the problem with this thread is. Why members don't like it. I will say I agree with much of the criticism. I have made a mission of jumping on avengador1 for his "post count whore" contributions to the time we can waste here on the forum. Often like yours, with no comment. I was an ass.
I remember you. You used to shy away from your own feelings on political stuff when challenged. I am glad to see that you have manned up somewhat. Yet you haven't.
Be proud man. It does seem that this forum is conservative. Does that scare you, or do you believe in your values ? All the liberals had big mouths when they wanted to criticize George Bush. Many in this community facilitated the discussion. Now that Nobama is the anti christ, instead of Bush, they are absent.
Some might say they are absent. I would say they are traitors to the ideals of our country.
They will be back at the next power turn. I am waiting for them.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2015 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
player.setav speedmult 300

Now I can out run a horse
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-25-2015 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

I will take you at your word. I would point out though it is not about the number of posts you "post". It is about thread content.
What is the one thing you are concerned about with your postings. Is it the post count ?
Weeks back some have suggested you should put all your interests in one thread. Any fans of yours would follow your blog.
I don't give a dang about my post count. At times I see it, when others hoopla about theirs, or admire the post count of others. I remember. You used to be way ahead of mine, then fell behind. By a lot. I guess it was your relocation. Now you are more ahead than you were behind. I still slept well.
I became aware of post counts. Started looking at them. I became aware of how they worked. You/me, we don't get an extra "count" when we reply to the same thread of one which we have already replied to. "So what" you might ask. I would reply "meh". What I did notice was the "views" and "replies" count.
My analysis is that if you get one reply for ten views, you have created an interesting thread for our community. Not that any others could not be interesting to some. Which is what our community is also about.

Hmm. Do you really think that is what it is about ? A horse and a human in a race ?

To be truthful, I have started avoiding your topics. Your threads. I can even recognize that they are yours by your thread title, most times. We are looking for food, for our intelligence. We like the feel good stuff too though. You are a good contributor.
I don't know what the problem with this thread is. Why members don't like it. I will say I agree with much of the criticism. I have made a mission of jumping on avengador1 for his "post count whore" contributions to the time we can waste here on the forum. Often like yours, with no comment. I was an ass.
I remember you. You used to shy away from your own feelings on political stuff when challenged. I am glad to see that you have manned up somewhat. Yet you haven't.
Be proud man. It does seem that this forum is conservative. Does that scare you, or do you believe in your values ? All the liberals had big mouths when they wanted to criticize George Bush. Many in this community facilitated the discussion. Now that Nobama is the anti christ, instead of Bush, they are absent.
Some might say they are absent. I would say they are traitors to the ideals of our country.
They will be back at the next power turn. I am waiting for them.

Yeah, it's all my fault.
I politely post a link about scientists saying that a human on a hot day can beat a horse in a 26.2 mile marathon.
That heinous act entitled people to viciously attack me personally.
Yeah, it was all me.

When I first started here, I posted my personal feelings about life.
And ended up being personally attacked for it.
So I stopped.

I then started posting articles with my opinion about the article.
I was then personally attacked for that.

So I just started posting fun articles, no personal opinion and therefore no invitation to personal attacks.
And I am being personally attacked for that.

I'm literally out of options.
I don't attack others for their opinions, I don't go dumping in other's threads, I don't go looking for trouble.
Yet others come seeking me out for bashing.
I really don't get it.

There's absolutely nothing left that I can post that won't be met with some sort of personal attack.
I mean really, what's left?

We're supposed to be grown men...

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 02-25-2015).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2015 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And all that makes you different from anyone or everyone else how?
I get bashed for my opinions.
I get bashed for links and articles I post for no other reason than I posted them and stated my opinion on them.
I sometimes get my character attacked because of those opinions, both on the internet and in real life--and so do most other people. In fact, I've never met anyone who didn't get some static over their opinions.
I've been called a communist --with that word used--right here on this board.
I have had myself and my father specifically called socialists--here in OT.
I've been called a liar--with that word used--in OT.
I've personally been called a thief here at PFF simply because someone believed "everyone steals sometimes".
I've been called a dopehead simply because of my username and my stance on the war on drugs.
I've been called "selfish" because I opposed having to buy health insurance on the Obamacare marketplace.
I've been called uncompassionate because I would protect my property and 'things' with lethal force.
I've been called a fool, silly, an idiot and worse for no other reason than my personal religious beliefs.
I won't even get into all the things I've been called because of my military service, but none of that really bothers me either.
I've had threads I started turned upside down and inside out--no big deal. They stopped being "mine" the second I clicked submit.
None of that bothers me. I don't for a minute think I should get heaped with accolades and and not also have to accept the opposites, because that's all part of life, and it always has been.

We'd all like to have some measure of respect from others, but we all understand too, that life is never all attaboys, rainbows and fun times.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 02-25-2015).]

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2015 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

... but we all understand too, that life is never all attaboys, rainbows and fun times.

I don't think we "all" do, judging by the history here on TO/T.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock