Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Got pulled over this morning driving the TDI Fiero. (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Got pulled over this morning driving the TDI Fiero. by CoolBlue87GT
Started on: 01-02-2015 10:17 PM
Replies: 82 (1944 views)
Last post by: dratts on 01-16-2015 01:41 PM
hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2015 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where I draw the line is the cop in a box.

The speed cameras that can not use any judgment what so ever. These have been an issue in Ohio here.

In fact as most cities say they only did them for safety and now they are being eliminated they are crying for new ways to raise money.

Not the cops fault but the mayors. Most departments are against them as they lessen the need for more officers.
IP: Logged
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2015 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

85sliverGT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2015 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Having a scanner in you car is illegal in some states.
http://www.fireline.org/scanlaws/

Thanks for the heads-up. Of course Minnesota is one of the very few states that specifically bans this.

CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2015 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
.....Check out the specs for the newest Uniden scanners. CoolBlue can probably elaborate since he sells them.
The ones that are labeled APCO P25 Phase 1 and 2 are the ones that will decode all the newest systems, as far as I can tell.

First video I do a quick demo on HomePatrol and answer question about scanners legal in cars. (in my area)

This second video is one I made for work awhile back, you all might find it funny.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2015 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoolBlue87GT:

First video I do a quick demo on HomePatrol and answer question about scanners legal in cars. (in my area)

This second video is one I made for work awhile back, you all might find it funny.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for posting those.

I've been reading about the Uniden BCD436HP
According to what I've been able to find, this (along with the 536HP) will decode "Project 25, Phase 2" digital traffic that others will not. (This is from online comments. Not just manufacturers' specs.)

Can you comment (or expand) on this? I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a scanner, only to find that the locals have newer technology than I can receive.

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 01-05-2015).]

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2015 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have zero respect for cops.
LorenBateman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2015 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LorenBatemanSend a Private Message to LorenBatemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

What about the officer that helped pull a 5yr old boy from a car that was ablaze for 27 min(yes he lost his life)..who do you think helps clean this up? That same officer had to return home later that evening to his own 5yr old son w/ out losing his mind. You see sir, that these type of things can happen on a daily basis....So...Tomorrow when you see a patrolman or patrolwoman,just know in your mind that they would still put themselves in the line of fire to save your life ... sir!!!..Now with all due respect to you? Have a nice day!!

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2015 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2015 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Interesting stuff. Thanks for posting those.

I've been reading about the Uniden BCD436HP
According to what I've been able to find, this (along with the 536HP) will decode "Project 25, Phase 2" digital traffic that others will not. (This is from online comments. Not just manufacturers' specs.)

Can you comment (or expand) on this? I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a scanner, only to find that the locals have newer technology than I can receive.

Thanks!

At first glance, that Uniden BCD436HP scanner looks good, I read some of the 513 comments, some are finding it hard to program / operate, others complain you can't charge batteries inside the radio. - I find that hard to beleve, but more than one complained about that. Looks like it's been around since 2010. I suggest you take a look at the comment to get a feel of the radio.

Does have a feature I like, "Radio System Analysis and Discover Modes" The HomePatrol has this feature, but you have to pay $50 to unlock it.

Overall, I still like the HomePatrol, both use the same computer software "Sentinel" for updating database / firmware.

The specs on the HomePatrol-1 Trunk Tracking Motorola Type I 800 Motorola Type II 800, 900, UHF, VHF EDACS Wide, Narrow LTR APCO P25
The specs on the HomePatrol-2 APCO-25 Phase I & II Digital, Analog, EDACS, LTR non encrypted Channels

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 01-06-2015).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2015 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just saying, but why do you need to scan? What importance in listening in? If they want your input, they'll provide you a radio. I wouldn't want the average person listening in to my professional conversations.

A camera recording anything around your car is a good idea. This helps keep COPs and thieves honest. After someone hits you and gets the COP to believe their story, you can play the video and prove them wrong. Unfortunately, these liars never get it for lying, and the COPs don't actually tell you that they bought the thief's story--you find out on a report 15 days later, too late to do anything about it. Just remember that criminals have a glib tongue and a prepared story that has probably worked before.

I have no radar detector, police scanner, or anything else of the sort. Heck, I rarely use the car radio. If I'm speeding, I made a choice. Personally, I think anyone with a radar detector should be given a ticket for speeding--and for having a radar detector. 2 people are driving down a 60MPH highway. One going 60, the other 75. The speeder has a radar detector, and slows down to 55 when the alarm sounds. Toe 60MPH driver is pulled over and given a ticket for 75 because the COP sees a speed and a faster car.
CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2015 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:
Just saying, but why do you need to scan? What importance in listening in?

Okay, I'll try to take a stab at that question. I was a firefighter, was immersed into the world of Police & Fire radio transmissions. The years that I was active, the information heard over the scanners and pagers kept us updated on what was going on in our county. When a call went out for a nearby station, we were able to use that information to find out if our station would be required to respond with a second alarm. To us, it was / is interesting.

It maybe hard to understand for those not in firefighting. An example that may make sense, if you ever flipped to a news channel that was reporting on an emergency, most people would be glued to the tv wanting to find out what was happening.
PFF
System Bot
CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2015 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CoolBlue87GT

8404 posts
Member since Apr 2001

Not starting a flame war with mattwa, My father was a policeman. Was respected, wanted to help people, was a smart man.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2015 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2015 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've always wondered who someone with "zero respect for cops" calls at 3 in the morning when someone is trying to kick their front door in.... yeah -yeah- yeah you're armed to the teeth and will take care of the problem yourself. Fat chance.

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2015 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just saying, but why do you need to scan? What importance in listening in?

As I mentioned before, I fixed public safety radios for years. I also fixed pagers and car telephones before that. I work with the power company now, and am still involved with the people and the technology.
I find the technology fascinating, more than anything. I find the public safety network, all inclusive, fascinating. Both for different reasons.

There is a lot of stuff out there, besides cop radios.
There are studio-transmitter links (aka STLs.) There are traffic copter links. There are aircraft links. There is an entire world out there. And it's all connected by radio.

It's a "geek" thing. I used to listen to radio traffic, and have fun diagnosing communications system "problems" that I would hear, over the air.
I once figured out that the pagers that my (former) employer were leasing were (randomly) not working because the tones that were being broadcast by the terminal, that were supposed to activate the pagers, were (randomly) off frequency.

I once surprised the wife of one of our customers. Apparently, this particular customer was "getting a little on the side".
His wife found out about the "side", and was calling up his voice pager and giving him hell. Called him everything but a child of God. She was hanging up and calling back as quickly as she could redial.
Unfortunately, all of those obscenities were being transmitted over a radio channel that WE were responsible for. I was a bit concerned that she might cause us to be cited by the FCC.
I reasoned that the incoming telephone trunk lines (to our paging terminal) were accessed randomly from the telephone Central Office. It was only a matter of time before she hit any particular trunk line. I clipped my telephone "butt-in" (a telephone test set) across one of the trunks, and waited.
It wasn't long before she hit the one where I was clipped on...
"You mutha..." <CLICK!> "Lady... These lines are monitored."
She didn't call back after that.

So yeah... technology is fun. Radio is just a part of it.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 01-06-2015).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2015 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2015 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The butt sets are cool. Lots of fun. Of course, there are faster/easier ways to pick her up. Your approach was probably nicer than mine would have been.

Are you a ham?

Anyway, there are all sorts of things for radio that you can get into...that are way off topic.

Faster/easier? I stopped her within about 15 minutes of hearing her first tirade. (I still laugh about that. She was probably like, "Damn! A talking beeper talked back to me!" )

No. Not a ham. Never had the inclination badly enough to run with it. Got my fill of two-way, messing with CB radio (long before Smokey and the Bandit.)
I do possess a General class radiotelephone license. Grandfathered from a 2nd. I also had a NABER certificate, that I allowed to lapse. Pretty much useless.
Would have liked to have gotten into broadcast or earth station stuff, but, oh well. I understand that broadcast is pretty much a dying art now, anyway.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 01-07-2015).]

thebigarniedog

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2015 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thebigarniedogSend a Private Message to thebigarniedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well the problem is not with the police then. I would suggest that you consider doing some volunteer work and get to know your community. ....

As for the camera in a box, I am a big fan of the stop light cameras. In the early 1990s you literally had to wait 6 seconds after the light turned green in Toledo to avoid some idiot in a beater blasting through a red light. The cameras brought that to an end. The Ohio Supreme Court thankfully recently ruled that such cameras are legal. The rules are pretty simple out there and If people did what they know they are supposed to do we would not need all those people in badges and uniforms to enforce them.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2015 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2015 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry about my previous comment, I understand it was illogical thinking on my part, I know the sacrifices Police Officers make. Just nothing but bad experiences on my end.
thebigarniedog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2015 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thebigarniedogSend a Private Message to thebigarniedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I agree running lights is a problem, but this implementation is ridiculous. In some places, if you pull to the white line & stop, you get a ticket. All the signals here where the red light cameras were installed had the yellow light time reduced to make it impossible to stop in time for the red light from the speed limit. The object became to cause people to run the light to bolster tickets & revenue, therefore making the intersection less safe--not to catch people running the rights. The bright flash of light is also blinding to drivers, and causes additional safety issues. Most areas here have turned off the lights and are issuing [partial] refunds. In many cases, the officer who signed these tickets should be fired and fined $500 per ticket.

Also, in St. Peters, the cameras caught the police running the red lights 9 times for every one citizen. EVERY SINGLE TIME, the citizen was ticketed & fined. Not once for the police. Mostly, the COP was off duty, in their personal car, or had no particular thing to do. Often, the menace COP was completely out of his juristiction.

Don't tell me about safety and red light cameras. If anything, they have made things far less safe. Yet another case where the police break more laws more often than anyone else. Those tickets do nothing for the people who've suffered because of the dangers these lights bring.

Meanwhile, I've been rear-ended for not running a red light. The guy who hit me claimed I was obstructing traffic. In one case, in a 35MPH zone, I was rear-ended hard enough that my stopped Bonneville was knocked across the intersection. I got nailed for knocking over the traffic signal, and the other guy was told by the COP to ”stop doing this”. The guy had to have been speeding, probably double the limit. The trunk & rear seats of my bonneville were demolished. The same cameras that they claim are ”evidence” against you are often doctored, but apparently not evidence enough to use against the people who do hit-and runs. Why? Not revenue for the COPs. It's strictly for insurance claims.

Again, take the revenue aspect away, and the system will become more just. The money from tickets should go to a charity. Courts also shouldn't be able to collect fees. The police ”confiscate” money, goods, property, whatever. This is a euphamism meaning they appropriate for themselves. If we did it, it would be called stealing. Cars in impound lots they consider theirs to use. Until these things are fixed, the process is a racket to benefit themselves. We already pay for all these things. They need to learn to be more productive & efficient. They can start by limiting police cars. Bicycles could be used. No more parking on the side of the road sleeping with the motor running. No more doughnut runs with the car running for an hour or more in the parking lot, unattended. Idling is illegal here, but just another law the police break. If a COP it not moving and doesn't have an active stop, why is his car stopped? If he can be stopped for more than a traffic light, why are we taxpayers paying for him to have that expensive car? He can stop on foot. That'd keep him out of trouble. If the officers don't feel safe out of their car, they ovbiously aren't doing their job. Without their car, they wouldn't need all that expensive equipment. They could rely more on their radio and their head. Also, the roads would be much safer. Many COPs aren't safe drivers. Yet they get big, powerful, fast new vehicles. Whenever there's rain, snow, whatever, it isn't the taxi drivers who can't control their vehicles.

As long as the police are allowed to be above the law, they will be seen as synonymous with law breakers and abusers. In short, entitled criminals.

Your above post is the best argument why teaching civics needs to become a priority for our educational system. In this ever prevalent narcissistic view it is interesting that most people claim to know what their rights are but yet completely fail to comprehend or accept the simple maxim that their rights end where someone else's begin ..........

PFF
System Bot
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2015 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2015 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thebigarniedog:

...most people claim to know what their rights are but yet completely fail to comprehend or accept the simple maxim that their rights end where someone else's begin ..........

That's true.
And although I've heard it before, it's still almost profound in its simplicity.
Edit - And correctness.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 01-10-2015).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here, there are red AND blue lights. The cops here cant drive...they wreck at least one cruiser every day or two. Their garage has at least 50 back up replacement cars at any time. A few weeks ago, they not only wrecked...but totalled 6 in 3 days. One accident totalled 3 cruisers who all rear ended each other on a residential street. Another was rolled on a downtown side street when it ran a red light.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Normally not that bad here.

I will note that many of the ”officers” in the sherrif's dept have prior criminal records, and aren't supposed to carry a gun. Obviously these are appointments by favor, but it really makes understanding the racket easier.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't know how this turned into an O/T diatribe against the cops?

They have a tough job and I respect that fact. However, there is a preponderance of evidence that demonstrates that too many cops are intoxicated with power and will abuse it if/when given the opportunity. The whole idea of law enforcement tends to attract a type of individual that is susceptible to being corrupted. I'm not saying all cops are corrupt, but probably a higher percentage than in most jobs.

And a lot of the issues come from the training and policies of the department. The shoot first and ask questions later aspect is part of the training. They will take down and TASER a 70 year old man because that's what they are trained to do. All they have to say is they were afraid for their personal safety and all is good.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

LorenBateman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LorenBatemanSend a Private Message to LorenBatemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Normally not that bad here.

I will note that many of the ”officers” in the sherrif's dept have prior criminal records, and aren't supposed to carry a gun. Obviously these are appointments by favor, but it really makes understanding the racket easier.

the hiring process is done on a state level and this is not likely to happen. to become and officer in the state of Missouri an extensive back ground check is conducted
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In my 50+ years of driving and being stopped by cops (occasionally), I have never had a negative experience. If you have a negative experience, I suspect you have a negative attitude which the cops pick up and give it right back. When you get stopped, turn the ignition off, roll down the windows and keep you hands on the steering wheel.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2015 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't feel like smiling and being all friendly when I know that I'm going to get dumped on. I don't try to go all negative either, but it's possible it shows. I always do the standard window rolled down, hands on the wheel, no fast moves and wait for instructions from the cop.
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2015 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

I've always wondered who someone with "zero respect for cops" calls at 3 in the morning when someone is trying to kick their front door in.... yeah -yeah- yeah you're armed to the teeth and will take care of the problem yourself. Fat chance.

Works for me.......THEY stand a fat chance. They don't even have to kick in a door, Ill get them in the driveway. Anyone that's been here knows your not getting anywhere in my yard without my knowing it. I even know when stray dogs and cats cut thru.

FieroTony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2015 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroTonySend a Private Message to FieroTonyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:

In my 50+ years of driving and being stopped by cops (occasionally), I have never had a negative experience. If you have a negative experience, I suspect you have a negative attitude which the cops pick up and give it right back. When you get stopped, turn the ignition off, roll down the windows and keep you hands on the steering wheel.

BINGO!!!
35 years here and got stopped a lot more then occasionally when I was a stupid kid, (no arrests). Rules #1, #2 & #3, don't mouth off to the guy that holds the key to your immediate future.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2015 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As a young guy I got plenty of tickets whether I was friendly or not. Very rare these days, because I look older.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2015 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007
Thoughts.
I think for some law enforecement officers, they probably become callous to the citizen, having seen too many bad scenarios. Maybe similar to the way a medical professional probably has to become callous to the existence of patients with incurable sickness, or the loss of patients, maybe put on an acting face from time to time. If they didnt get callous, they'd probably lose the ability to do their job. But its not a good thing none the less.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2015 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Pulled over for 5 MPH over? Must have been a slow day. (Not to be punny.)

I've gotten a ticket for 3 over.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2015 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

theBDub

9688 posts
Member since May 2010

Loren, you're not the typical COP, unfortunately. The comments below are not the blanket statement they seem to be, and not in reference to you or a handful of other COPs.

IF the particular police department didn't profit from ticketing, IF there weren't ticket quotas, IF the average COP was honest, IF the justice system wasn't corrupt, IF COPs were held accountable to the same laws as the rest of us, IF some COPs weren't just uniformed bullies, etc., then perhaps. Yes, remove the revenue aspect from the municipality and the court, and the quotas. Measure by results.

I was pulled over for doing 55 (speeding), in what turned out to be a 60. Another time, pulled over in my Fiero, because the car ”looked likely to have been stolen”, then the COP harassed me because he'd never heard of a Fiero. Another time, I was in the slow lane, and was pulled over for not yielding to a speeding car behind me (whom they didn't bother). Another time, I was pulled over for doing 50 in a 45; unfortunately, there was no sign to show the change in speed. I was jumped by a team of officers at my house as I was removing a carved wooden horse bust from my truck (they thought it was a dead body); they didn't help OR apologize.

Bottom line, I expect them to obey the same laws they swore to support & uphold. Citations should be issued as needed, but the point should be to correct a wrong; not just to issue a citation. Why then are COPs speeding, doing drugs, running stop lights/signs, etc? I expect that, if I'm not breaking the law, I should be left alone; however, if a COP breaks the law, I think they should get double the punishment of a regular person. More money, more equipment, and/or more officers won't fix the problems in an area; the municipalities need to cull their staff.

Yes, I have been busted when I deserved it. Yes, I habitually run 5MPH over the limit. Have I gotten off with a written or verbal warning on occasion? Yes. Have I not been stopped when I should've been? Yes.

If, however, I was going 75 in a 60, the COP accuses me of going 95, but says he'll ”let me go easy” for 85, that's harassment. If I'm pulled over repeatedly over months so they can search my car (for 30 minutes or more at a crack), but never given a ticket or an apology, that's harassment. I could cite many examples, and someone could counter with a positive for each one. My point is, why can I recall even one such negative? Why don't the positives far outweigh the negatives?

Where we should be viewing COPs as our friends and as upholding the law, do we? Whether they've given me a ticket or not, if a COP saw me again, would he wave? COPs seem to have become people who violate my rights, rather than defend them. If you were attacked, or your car stolen, or your child abducted, or your home invaded, would it be better to call the police, or handle it on your own? From experience, I know that calling the police will result in endless reports, personal embarassment, and no results, so I would say option 2, which has yielded better results.

At our neighborhood town hall meeting, 2 COPs spoke. The first one suggested that, to prevent car theft, we should lock our cars, to help thieves resist temptation. The second one, with a frown at the first, suggested that we should leave our cars unlocked, to prevent damage to windows, locks, etc, from ”curious” people. We asked why they didn't patrol our streets, and we were told that that's what the citizens are for. I understood perfectly. COPS would rather be bullies than protectors. Easier prey. Less work. The ONLY time a COP voluntarily came here, he was speeding (50+ in a 25) not realizing that this isn't a through street.

Ahh, you're from Missouri. I'm from the Lou as well, not too far from you at all. If there's one thing I learned after leaving Missouri, it's that Missouri cops are trained terribly. I've had only positive interactions with cops in California. A few negative here and there sprinkled around the country. A few positive as well. But nothing like the constant harassment I got from cops when I was in Missouri. That's why there is a disconnect with these people. My friends don't get why I hate cops... well they didn't grow up in the area I did. There is justification for wanting more police accountability.
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2015 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

As a young guy I got plenty of tickets whether I was friendly or not. Very rare these days, because I look older.

But you aren't ?

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2015 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

When a cop lets you go with a warning that's an admission of error. If he had a legitimate reason to pull you over then he would write the ticket no questions asked.

By the way NEVER admit to going over the limit, even if by 1 mph. That is an admission of guilt and he could have written you up for that and any judge in the world will accept your confession as an admission of guilt and your case is lost. If the cops asks you how fast you were going answer " I don't know"

What a joke anyway. I got pulled over in Florida for going too slow. I was towing my Fiero and didn't get out of his way fast enough when he came up behind me. Gave me a warning... which means he had no reason to pull me over in the first place.

I don't know how you come to that conclusion but I have gotten warnings and I was do 80 in a 50, late for a doctors appointment. it can be how you present yourself when stopped.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2015 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by heybjorn:
But you aren't ?

Ancient chinese secret.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave