Started on: 09-10-2014 11:33 AM
Replies: 12 (1062 views)
Last post by: Khw on 09-12-2014 09:56 PM
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2014 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not a huge fan of how the actual enzo looks, but I think this prototype is stunning:
http://www.topgear.com/uk/c...-for-sale-2014-09-09

Of course my first thought was "could you make a fiero body kit of it?" and it doesn't sound as bad as it seems. I know there exists at least a testarossa kit, if not a 348. And I know there's at least one 360 out there, too. Merge the front and the back with/without a stretch and see what you get. I don't even think there would be much frame cutting as in some.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2014 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Reminds me of this Fiero seen at the 30th anniversary

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 09-10-2014).]

Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That Fiero.... Kinda wondering what that rear glass came from, or if it was a custom made window... Also think if there were a way to make the quarter windows clear and functional (think 80's truck quarter windows that popped out) it would make for an interesting, seamless look.

Nice post 2.5
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xerces_Blackthorne:

That Fiero.... Kinda wondering what that rear glass came from, or if it was a custom made window... Also think if there were a way to make the quarter windows clear and functional (think 80's truck quarter windows that popped out) it would make for an interesting, seamless look.

Nice post 2.5

Third Gen Camarobird. If I remember correctly Bubbajoe (sp?) had a build thread on it. I'll see if I can find it. I remember it was stretched for the engine orientation, you can see this most noticeable between the door and rear wheel.

Edit: I found the thread. I didn't narrow down the exact point where he starts the install of it but this link will get you right into the area the install is being done out of the 76 page thread.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/000007-16.html

Oh and the stretch was 12" to get the engine and the glass to fit like that.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 09-11-2014).]

Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like excellent access for tune ups, beautifully done! Wonder what the 0 to 100 time is?
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Forgive me for my laziness and unwillingness to go through 76 pages to find the answer to this question, but how does the transmission turn the axles on a longitudinally mounted, rear engine? Thanks to anyone polite enough to answer.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 09-11-2014).]

Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

Forgive me for my laziness and unwillingness to go through 76 pages to find the answer to this question, but how does the transmission turn the axles on a longitudinally mounted, rear engine? Thanks to anyone polite enough to answer.

Jim

By transmitting it's rotational output through a differential obviously .

Now in all seriousness, it works just like any rear wheel drive front engined vehicle, just the rear axle differential is part of the transmission. Since the transmission uses gears to spin the output shaft at different ratios, it doesn't matter where along that shaft you put the differential so long as it doesn't interfere with the transmissions gears. Here's a cutaway view of a Porsche transmission to give you an idea. I am not sure what transmission was used in the Fiero above, but I beleive Porsche was one that was talked about and possibly used.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 09-11-2014).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 05:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So mid engine Porsche engines are longitudinally mounted, I did not realize that. I was "assuming" all mid rear engine cars were transversely mounted.
learn something new everyday. Thanks.

Jim
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Early Olds Toronado/DeVille used that same transaxle setup with front engine, front wheel drive.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post09-12-2014 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

Third Gen Camarobird. If I remember correctly Bubbajoe (sp?) had a build thread on it. I'll see if I can find it. I remember it was stretched for the engine orientation, you can see this most noticeable between the door and rear wheel.

The Fiero should have been stretched like that from the factory.. Nothing else so you can work on the damned back 3 ( or 4 if you are fancy ) plugs. ( grrr )
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post09-12-2014 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by Taijiguy:

Early Olds Toronado/DeVille used that same transaxle setup with front engine, front wheel drive.

DeVille? Don't you mean Eldorado instead? All of my *older* Devilles ( all coupes, must admit ) were rear wheel drive ( doubt anything recent was ). All my Eldos regardless of age were FWD.
PFF
System Bot
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

DeVille? Don't you mean Eldorado instead? All of my *older* Devilles ( all coupes, must admit ) were rear wheel drive ( doubt anything recent was ). All my Eldos regardless of age were FWD.

Yeah, my bad, the eldo. One of the risks of posting too early in the morning.
Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Taijiguy:

Yeah the Torornado transmission has been used in some longitudinal swapped Fieros. I've seen it mentioned and I recall at least one Fiero for sure but I think there have been others. However, for that particular Fiero, the first post contains this:

12 inch stretch wagon concept with N* / Porsche transaxle / Webber fuel system

So assuming nothing changed, it should be a Porsche transaxle in that one. BubbaJoexxx has since sold it so I have no idea what's been done to it since then.

Really when you get down to it it's pretty impressive how many different swaps have been done in a Fiero. I've even seen the BMW V12 swapped in longitudinally on a couple of stretched re-bodies.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 09-12-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock