Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Why are hate crimes only charged against white people? (Page 2)

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Why are hate crimes only charged against white people? by davylong86
Started on: 09-10-2014 11:10 AM
Replies: 55 (1022 views)
Last post by: fireboss on 09-11-2014 09:27 PM
rogergarrison
Member
Posts: 49601
From: A Western Caribbean Island/ Columbus, Ohio
Registered: Apr 99


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonClick Here to Email rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by yellowstone:

"Why are hate crimes only charged against white people?"

They aren't.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/...out-assaults-arrest/

http://www.wnd.com/2001/03/8380/

http://newyork.cbslocal.com...central-park-jogger/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/...-beating-driver.html


While they sometimes may be charged, you will never hear about them on the news because its boring unimportant stuff.

Id have been in trouble in TN, I usually have a couple of extra clips available when I carry, but even with them id probably have run out of bullets protecting myself and others. THEN it would be on the news that some white guy ( me) went on a shooting rampage killing 25 black kids who were playing in a parking lot.

IP: Logged
Hudini
Member
Posts: 9016
From: Tennessee
Registered: Feb 2006


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniClick Here to Email HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd bet they would scatter at the first shot. There is no way those kids would charge someone with a firearm. Is this an appropriate time for a warning shot straight up?
IP: Logged
2.5
Member
Posts: 43166
From: Southern MN
Registered: May 2007


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by sleevePAPA:


Ridiculous! I don't think he deserved to be banned for this




It must have been some other thread? That post was clearly comedy in this thread.
IP: Logged
maryjane
Member
Posts: 68822
From: Copperas Cove Texas
Registered: Apr 2001


Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by Hudini:

I'd bet they would scatter at the first shot. There is no way those kids would charge someone with a firearm. Is this an appropriate time for a warning shot straight up?

This I believe, happened in Memphis Tenn.
That city is no stranger to gunfire--happened every night when I twice lived there in the 70s and was even worse when I lived there in 1985-86.

IP: Logged
Khw
Member
Posts: 11139
From: South Weber, UT. U.S.A.
Registered: Jun 2008


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwClick Here to Email KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by Hudini:

I'd bet they would scatter at the first shot. There is no way those kids would charge someone with a firearm. Is this an appropriate time for a warning shot straight up?


What goes up must come back down and as high as a bullet would it would come back down with lethal speed. If there was some raw earth, as in no concrete or pavement type stuff, I'd suggest firing that warning shot straight into the ground.
IP: Logged
Pyrthian
Member
Posts: 29569
From: Detroit, MI
Registered: Jul 2002


Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianClick Here to Email PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
because the courts hate albinos
IP: Logged
avengador1
Member
Posts: 35467
From: Orlando, Florida
Registered: Oct 2001


Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Click Here to Email avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
What goes up must come back down and as high as a bullet would it would come back down with lethal speed. If there was some raw earth, as in no concrete or pavement type stuff, I'd suggest firing that warning shot straight into the ground.


Myth! Ever hear about terminal velocity?

http://www.straightdope.com...e-when-it-comes-down

Mythbusters.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 09-11-2014).]

IP: Logged
Hudini
Member
Posts: 9016
From: Tennessee
Registered: Feb 2006


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniClick Here to Email HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We are talking a paved parking lot full of cars and people and asphalt. I'm thinking worst case, you have no warning and suddenly a ton of people are heading your way quickly. The distance is very short and you have only a second or two before some kids take a swing at your head. What to do?
IP: Logged
Marvin McInnis
Member
Posts: 11597
From: ~ Kansas City, USA
Registered: Apr 2002


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by yellowstone:

"Why are hate crimes only charged against white people?"

They aren't.



Good answer. A loaded question presupposes a fact or facts that don't exist. By the way ... "Why have you stopped beating your wife?"


 
quote
Originally posted by avengador1:

http://www.straightdope.com...e-when-it-comes-down



Conclusion, from the source you cited: "Shooting guns randomly into the air has a high probability of being dangerous." Myth indeed.

There was a "celebratory gunfire" incident on the 4th of July a couple of years ago in Kansas City. A local man was convicted of causing the death of a young girl by firing his 9mm straight up into the air from about half a block away.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 09-12-2014).]

IP: Logged
cliffw
Member
Posts: 34151
From: Bandera, Texas, USA
Registered: Jun 2003


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 291
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwClick Here to Email cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by Hudini:
... suddenly a ton of people are heading your way quickly.
What to do?

Hmm. This would be a question of what not to do. Which would be not wasting bullets, .
IP: Logged
skuzzbomer
Member
Posts: 7492
From: Nashville
Registered: Sep 2009


Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As I understand it, it's not being pursued as a hate crime because Tennessee law is written such a way that aggravated assault carries a more severe charge. Add to that, there isn't clear, or remotely provable evidence that it was racially motivated or otherwise done as an act of outright bigotry. Seems a case of kids with a history of thug-like behaviour carrying on however they please.

But what do I know? I've just been living out of a hotel south of Memphis since Sunday night and this story is the only thing that's been on the local news this week.

http://www.tennessean.com/s...arking-lot/15281799/

Unrelated to the subject, Dan will be back on here eventually. Count on it.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Cliff Pennock
Administrator
Posts: 11152
From: Haarlem, The Netherlands
Registered: Jan 99


Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 698
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageClick Here to Email Cliff PennockSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by sleevePAPA:

Ridiculous! I don't think he deserved to be banned for this


 
quote
Originally posted by Cliff Pennock - in many, many another thread

That's always a problem when someone gets banned. People thinking that his last posts are why he got banned. So I'll just repeat what I said many, many times before. His last posts are the proverbial drop. Nothing more, nothing less. So did he get banned for his views in this thread? No. Of course not. Don't be daft. But he did pick up the (few) negative(s) here needed to put him over the edge.

Regarding [the banned member]:

As always with a speedban, I can throw my rating in the mix to see if that tips the scale the other way. For those of you who are new, let me explain.

Normally, your ratings bar only becomes active (and visible) when you reach 50 ratings. From that moment on, if you reach a point where you have way more negatives than positives, you are automatically banned. The exact ratio of negative to positive ratings necessary to get banned is kept secret but let me assure you that it isn't easy to get yourself banned.

Does this mean that as long as your ratingsbar isn't visible, you can't get banned? No. In reality your ratingsbar becomes active (although not visible) when you reach 20 ratings but the ratio necessary to get banned is much, much higher. No really, much higher. As soon as you reach this ratio, you are speedbanned.

A lot of times when someone gets speedbanned, I get asked to undo the ban. Either by the person himself or others. Usually because they feel they were unjustly banned or because they were new and didn't know how the ratings system worked (as if that's an excuse to behave like an a-hole). When I receive such a request, I usually look at the ratings these people got. If I feel the banning was just (read: he was behaving like a complete ass in most threads he participated in) I won't do anything about the ban. In all other cases, there's only one thing I can and will do: throw my own rating in the mix. I can rate a person even after he is banned. If my (positive) ratings tips the scale the other way, the forum software automatically unbans this person.

That's what I did with [the banned member] here. I just gave him a positive rating and see what that did. It unbanned him. It doesn't mean he's in the clear because he is in fact still on the edge. A few negative ratings will be enough to get him permanently banned.
IP: Logged
Raydar
Member
Posts: 39813
From: Carrollton GA. Out in the... country.
Registered: Oct 1999


Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 457
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 09-11-2014).]

IP: Logged
Jake_Dragon
Member
Posts: 32418
From: USA
Registered: Jan 2001


Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 399
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

That's always a problem when someone gets banned. People thinking that his last posts are why he got banned. So I'll just repeat what I said many, many times before. His last posts are the proverbial drop. Nothing more, nothing less. So did he get banned for his views in this thread? No. Of course not. Don't be daft. But he did pick up the (few) negative(s) here needed to put him over the edge.

Regarding [the banned member]:

As always with a speedban, I can throw my rating in the mix to see if that tips the scale the other way. For those of you who are new, let me explain.

Normally, your ratings bar only becomes active (and visible) when you reach 50 ratings. From that moment on, if you reach a point where you have way more negatives than positives, you are automatically banned. The exact ratio of negative to positive ratings necessary to get banned is kept secret but let me assure you that it isn't easy to get yourself banned.

Does this mean that as long as your ratingsbar isn't visible, you can't get banned? No. In reality your ratingsbar becomes active (although not visible) when you reach 20 ratings but the ratio necessary to get banned is much, much higher. No really, much higher. As soon as you reach this ratio, you are speedbanned.

A lot of times when someone gets speedbanned, I get asked to undo the ban. Either by the person himself or others. Usually because they feel they were unjustly banned or because they were new and didn't know how the ratings system worked (as if that's an excuse to behave like an a-hole). When I receive such a request, I usually look at the ratings these people got. If I feel the banning was just (read: he was behaving like a complete ass in most threads he participated in) I won't do anything about the ban. In all other cases, there's only one thing I can and will do: throw my own rating in the mix. I can rate a person even after he is banned. If my (positive) ratings tips the scale the other way, the forum software automatically unbans this person.

That's what I did with [the banned member] here. I just gave him a positive rating and see what that did. It unbanned him. It doesn't mean he's in the clear because he is in fact still on the edge. A few negative ratings will be enough to get him permanently banned.


Thanks for the explanation, I wasn't calling out the system just wanted to know what Dan did to piss off 50 people
IP: Logged
FriendGregory
Member
Posts: 4829
From: Palo Alto, CA, USA
Registered: Jan 2004


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregoryClick Here to Email FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by DanDamage:


This guys image and the many offbeat, off topic, and off the mark comments that go with it bust me up. Keep it up, made my day a few times. Great stuff.
IP: Logged
fireboss
Member
Posts: 2244
From: hueytown ,alabama
Registered: Apr 2011


Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossClick Here to Email firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by FriendGregory:


This guys image and the many offbeat, off topic, and off the mark comments that go with it bust me up. Keep it up, made my day a few times. Great stuff.


Totally with you ...I always got a smile with his post..

IP: Logged
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay



Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock