Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Looking in to an android tablet (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Looking in to an android tablet by Loki
Started on: 08-28-2014 11:47 AM
Replies: 51 (467 views)
Last post by: Nurb432 on 09-05-2014 06:14 PM
frontal lobe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

Isn't that what i said? If you are limited, its your fault, not the machine.

( and Microsoft still sucks )

Yes, that's what you said. And it is true.

Just because it is true doesn't make it helpful in a business/sales environment.

You can adopt the mentality that it is the customer's fault. End result is you sell less than you could have, or you could charge less.

Or you could adopt a mentality as a company that I will work to make it more intuitive, compatible, and reliable and therefore harder for it to be the fault of my intended consumer.

And if I wanted to nitpick, the only limitation is not the user.

I use my devices to do work documentation. The software my work uses is the largest provider of medical record documentation in the country. They have not made it compatible with android devices at all. Period. And not with Apple mobile devices. I could access and use it on a Mac computer or laptop (which I don't have), but not ipad (which I do have, but can't do work on).

So while the major limitation is the user, there are still some limitations being externally done by not having the compatibility with the operating system. And not just with small, "fly by night" programs. As I said, largest electronic medical records supplier in the U.S.

IP: Logged
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post09-03-2014 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Point of fact: Google uses Microsoft products, which is why Google pays royalties to Microsoft. For example, the activesync feature that allows email and tasks to sync. Last I checked, Android (Google) uses this technology.

And the point was? Everyone is paying ( and suing ) someone else for something, now that the patent system is in total chaos. 2/3 of the time the 'owners' of the IP didnt even create it, they bought it, stole it, or outright lie that they have it... ( one of the reasons i dont acknowledge the entire concept of IP )

Microsoft still sucks, regardless of how much they illegally control information and extort companies to pay thru the nose to avoid litigation costs ( often times they would win, but its cheaper just to pay up ). They should be burnt to the ground.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post09-03-2014 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by frontal lobe:
And if I wanted to nitpick, the only limitation is not the user.

its still them, even if you dont make it easy for them as standard procedure. It all falls on them ultimately.

Note that a lot of what i do these days is enable 'users', but even then, it still falls on them to take the tools i give them and use them.. its not my responsibility to make them do it.

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 09-03-2014).]

frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't understand what you are saying about the user.

The medical software company makes a product that is usable on windows and Mac (but not ipad) operating system, and not on android,

and it is my limitation as a user that I can't use my android device or ipad for that?

I'm fully willing to accept my limitations as a user of an android device. But I reject that not being able to use it for my medical documentation is due to my limitation as a user.

That isn't the main point, though. The majority of the limitation is due to the user. I get that.
Also, just have a question of you. Do you like microsoft?
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post09-03-2014 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Where are you playing at? Id like to see some more of your comedy act

Now, all kidding aside, i was talking about 'functionality' limitations, not some arbitrary application that isn't ported to one platform or another. If we want to play that game, i can pick products that only run on whatever platform i want to make a point about, so that was not the intent in the first place.. I also wasn't just talking 'android' but the generic and ludicrous statement that was far above, that "xyz device i dont like are just toys and limited".

...my limitation as a user that I can't use my android device or ipad for that?

Well, you could always RDP back to a windows based device

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 09-03-2014).]

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't understand what you are saying about the user.

The medical software company makes a product that is usable on windows and Mac (but not ipad) operating system, and not on android,

and it is my limitation as a user that I can't use my android device or ipad for that?

I'm fully willing to accept my limitations as a user of an android device. But I reject that not being able to use it for my medical documentation is due to my limitation as a user.

That isn't the main point, though. The majority of the limitation is due to the user. I get that.

To me Droid is too old skool. It's interface is dated. But its fine for the simplistic user, that is why it is popular with kids, teenagers and entertainment users. Other than the Linux that it is based on, you will not see Droid ever running on laptops or desktops. Google's Chromebook is considered a failure, but it was a fair attempt at something and as big as any tech company, be it Apple, Google or Microsoft will have their hits and misses. Although Chromebook is just Chrome.

Droid is dated, buggy and slow to me, especially in the tablet world. People may have different opinions, but many never have experienced other ones for the most part. They listen to the teenager at Best Buy.

Droid is ok though. No big knock on it really, I personally like Apple and Microsoft and find it to be much better. I can make that claim because I possess and used all three.

[This message has been edited by Wichita (edited 09-03-2014).]

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post09-03-2014 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

Droid is ok though. No big knock on it really, I personally like Apple and Microsoft to be much better.

Droid is a brand of phone. But i dont expect a micro$oft fan boy to understand that.
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

Droid is a brand of phone. But i dont expect a micro$oft fan boy to understand that.

Should say Android, but you're right. Droid phones run off Android. I usually call anything running Android as Droid. My bad!
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post09-03-2014 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

Should say Android, but you're right. Droid phones run off Android. I usually call anything running Android as Droid. My bad!

Yes they do, but i cant say anything about their quality as i have never owned one ( or plan on it ).. they could be crapola.
Loki

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2014 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, this was a fun read... Sheesh

Decided on the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 I think.
PFF
System Bot
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post09-05-2014 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Loki:

Well, this was a fun read... Sheesh

Decided on the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 I think.

Come on, spring for the pen!

And what did you expect, by starting a religious war?

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 09-05-2014).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock