Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  SCOTUS unanimously gets something right. No warrantless cell/smartphone search. (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
SCOTUS unanimously gets something right. No warrantless cell/smartphone search. by maryjane
Started on: 06-25-2014 11:23 AM
Replies: 46 (394 views)
Last post by: Nurb432 on 06-26-2014 10:19 AM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.usatoday.com/sto...acy-arrest/10025923/

WASHINGTON —- Cellphones and smartphones generally cannot be searched by police without a warrant during arrests, the Supreme Court ruled unanimously Wednesday in a major clash between privacy and technology.

Ruling on two cases from California and Massachusetts, the justices acknowledged both a right to privacy and a need to investigate crimes. But they came down squarely on the side of privacy rights.

"We cannot deny that our decision today will have an impact on the ability of law enforcement to combat crime," Chief Justice John Roberts wrote for the court. "Privacy comes at a cost."

The court struck down an extensive smartphone search in California that had been upheld by the state Court of Appeals, as well as a more limited probe of an old flip-top cellphone in Massachusetts that a federal judge already had thrown out.

The justices noted that vast amounts of sensitive data on modern smartphones raise new privacy concerns that differentiate them from other evidence that can be searched. They said police still can examine "the physical aspects of a phone to ensure that it will not be used as a weapon." But once secured, they said, "data on the phone can endanger no one."
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Zeb

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, that's nice to hear. I can agree with them on this one.
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's irrelevant. They'll just get the info from the NSA.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Taijiguy:

It's irrelevant. They'll just get the info from the NSA.

Or find ways to hack into the data without evidence they did anything. Then if they find something, a warrant will "appear" and they'll conduct a search.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Or find ways to hack into the data without evidence they did anything. Then if they find something, a warrant will "appear" and they'll conduct a search.

A little bias, or do you have proof.
Did not take long for the hate cops comments to came out.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

EABOD.
Every single comment is not a goddam court testimony. Welcome to negative land.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

EABOD.
Every single comment is not a goddam court testimony. Welcome to negative land.

Hmm, cool
carry-on
FlyinFieros

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
User Banned

Report this Post06-25-2014 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great decision. I think it was 8-1 though.

What?

Why would someone with those kinds of skills skip the high paying jobs in the security industry to work a dangerous low paying job at the local police department?

[This message has been edited by FlyinFieros (edited 06-25-2014).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't need a lot of skills, just the right software. XRY. Xamn. Micro Systemation provides the training to use their products.
FlyinFieros

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
User Banned

Report this Post06-25-2014 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:
Don't need a lot of skills, just the right software. XRY. Xamn. Micro Systemation provides the training to use their products.

You need skills to do forensics without leaving evidence you've done forensics. Automated products wont work for that.

[This message has been edited by FlyinFieros (edited 06-25-2014).]

frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What makes this somewhat interesting to me is that since it was unanimous, or near unanimous, then what was up with the lower court's decision making that made it have to get up to the Supreme Court, where it was essentially a slam dunk?
PFF
System Bot
Red88FF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red88FFSend a Private Message to Red88FFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by frontal lobe:

What makes this somewhat interesting to me is that since it was unanimous, or near unanimous, then what was up with the lower court's decision making that made it have to get up to the Supreme Court, where it was essentially a slam dunk?

State court, appointments and politically held elected offices. Don't know for sure but that is my guess. The higher federal courts are beholden to no one with lifetime appointments. This is a very important distinction when we are depending on people to do the right thing..
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Red88FF:

State court, appointments and politically held elected offices. Don't know for sure but that is my guess. The higher federal courts are beholden to no one with lifetime appointments. This is a very important distinction when we are depending on people to do the right thing..

Not case in CA.
I need to know more about the case. But some of the reasons was obviously based on the phones being on criminals at the time it was found. That now illegal search did fight crime.
Red88FF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red88FFSend a Private Message to Red88FFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not case in CA.
I need to know more about the case. But some of the reasons was obviously based on the phones being on criminals at the time it was found. That now illegal search did fight crime.

Really, lower court judges are not appointed or elected? do tell how they make it to the bench then.

Fighting crime is no excuse for abuse of rights ever, period.
Zeb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FlyinFieros:

You need skills to do forensics without leaving evidence you've done forensics. Automated products wont work for that.

Rumor has it the State Police in NJ already have cell phone readers. Connect it up, and it copies all the data on the phone to the device. I'm told it takes seconds, and they are already trained in its use. No "hacking" required. Now they have all your contacts, who you called, who called you, all your text messages, too. Based on that, they can find who you've been criminal with, and bust THEM. That should give them enough to get you, too. Without using the data from your phone to convict. Did the decision say "You can't do that." or did it say "It's not admissible in court if you do."?

Now, for those who really don't trust cops, if they find suspicious info, they can get a warrant. Then do the scan again, and call it legal. Now, if you check your phone for their footprints, no problem, they had a warrant. BUT who'd think to check their phone for evidence of hacking if they were never arrested?
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Red88FF:

Really, lower court judges are not appointed or elected? do tell how they make it to the bench then.

Fighting crime is no excuse for abuse of rights ever, period.

My point was that in CA, we teld to slant to the liberal side of politics. The Judges tend to also be liberal. There rulings are liberal.
To sum it up, they tend to not make judgements on facts, but on emotion.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"• At least 25 police departments own a Stingray, a suitcase-size device that costs as much as $400,000 and acts as a fake cell tower. The system, typically installed in a vehicle so it can be moved into any neighborhood, tricks all nearby phones into connecting to it and feeding data to police. In some states, the devices are available to any local police department via state surveillance units. The federal government funds most of the purchases, via anti-terror grants."

Wonder if they get a warrant for this?

http://archive.desertsun.co...-tool-police-arsenal
sleevePAPA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sleevePAPASend a Private Message to sleevePAPAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

"• At least 25 police departments own a Stingray, a suitcase-size device that costs as much as $400,000 and acts as a fake cell tower. The system, typically installed in a vehicle so it can be moved into any neighborhood, tricks all nearby phones into connecting to it and feeding data to police. In some states, the devices are available to any local police department via state surveillance units. The federal government funds most of the purchases, via anti-terror grants."

Wonder if they get a warrant for this?

http://archive.desertsun.co...-tool-police-arsenal

Please help me understand why that's an issue worth complaining about, or the other complaints about surveillance? Do all of you(complainants) really think that law enforcement agency's are spying on you? Why the worry? I don't think they care about you having a casual conversation with your [fill in the blank], not unless you are doing something illegal. If someone is so worried about being illegally surveilled than why not just stop using all electronic devices? All this quibbling seems kinda pointless, almost seems as if some people are bored and want something to argue about?
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unfortunately the old "if you are not a criminal then why are you worried" argument is why we have the privacy rules in the first place. That same argument can be used for the police to search your house at anytime because "if you are not a criminal...." The reason the above is offensive to me is simple. I DO NOT give up my right to privacy to you or anybody else for ANY REASON. I will NEVER trade my freedom for your security.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There ARE times when they don't need a warrant. One of the articles I read mentioned needing immediate info to track a missing child or to prevent detonating a bomb. They said the police could take it up with the courts after the fact. I'm ok with that.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

http://www.cruz.senate.gov/...ress_release&id=1451

This is the eleventh time since January 2012 that the Supreme Court has unanimously rejected the Obama Administration’s arguments for greater governmental power.

PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sleevePAPA:
Please help me understand why that's an issue worth complaining about, or the other complaints about surveillance? Do all of you(complainants) really think that law enforcement agency's are spying on you? Why the worry? I don't think they care about you having a casual conversation with your [fill in the blank], not unless you are doing something illegal. If someone is so worried about being illegally surveilled than why not just stop using all electronic devices? All this quibbling seems kinda pointless, almost seems as if some people are bored and want something to argue about?

If you've done nothing wrong, you have nothing to fear. Right?
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The right to privacy is a RIGHT. Period. I shouldn't have to explain why it's bad for police to intercept cell phone signals carte blanche. I shouldn't have to stop using electronic devices to keep from being illegally surveilled. Illegal is illegal. Currently hypothetical situation that may not be hypothetical at some not-too-distant point in the future: "I'm being illegally jailed for speaking out against the government. Huh, guess I should shut up then." Right? RIGHT? The argument is that illegal is fracking ILLEGAL. I shouldn't have to stop exercising my rights because the government is doing something illegal to infringe upon those RIGHTS, and this really shouldn't even be an argument, anyway.
Red88FF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red88FFSend a Private Message to Red88FFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

Unfortunately the old "if you are not a criminal then why are you worried" argument is why we have the privacy rules in the first place. That same argument can be used for the police to search your house at anytime because "if you are not a criminal...." The reason the above is offensive to me is simple. I DO NOT give up my right to privacy to you or anybody else for ANY REASON. I will NEVER trade my freedom for your security.

And if you want to be extreme and add shock value too an example. It keeps them from probing your anus anytime they want to. Blunt but accurate. Butt hey! if you've go nothing to hide?
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I do hope that was sarcasm..
aceman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 203
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rallaster:

The right to privacy is a RIGHT.

Where is that spelled out Rallaster?

Not that I disagree with the concept, but where is this Right to Privacy actually spelled out?

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

"Please help me understand why that's an issue worth complaining about, or the other complaints about surveillance? Do all of you(complainants) really think that law enforcement agency's are spying on you? Why the worry? I don't think they care about you having a casual conversation with your [fill in the blank], not unless you are doing something illegal. If someone is so worried about being illegally surveilled than why not just stop using all electronic devices? All this quibbling seems kinda pointless, almost seems as if some people are bored and want something to argue about?"
Does that answer your question Frontal Lobe?

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 06-25-2014).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

maryjane

69628 posts
Member since Apr 2001

Originally posted by aceman:

Not that I disagree with the concept, but where is this Right to Privacy actually spelled out?

Right here:
Cellphones and smartphones generally cannot be searched by police without a warrant during arrests, the Supreme Court ruled unanimously Wednesday in a major clash between privacy and technology.

Ruling on two cases from California and Massachusetts, the (Supreme Court) justices acknowledged both a right to privacy and a need to investigate crimes. But they came down squarely on the side of privacy rights.

Rallaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aceman:

You have a point. Right to Privacy just doesn't sound strong enough.

AMENDMENT IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

I have the RIGHT to secure my person, house, papers AND effects against unreasonable searches and seizures. See that? SEARCHES and seizures. (Carte Blanche collection and listening to/reading of cellular telephone communication falls into the "searches" column) I can't find it right off the top of my web search, but I seem to recall the SCOTUS ruling that electronic communication falls into the "effects" column.

It is in my none-to-professional opinion that the use of a Stingray is unconstitutional. Now to just find a lawyer to take the case...
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post06-25-2014 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I gotta' imagine this "going through your phone" happens after you are handcuffed?
Can they look through your wallet?
Zeb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

I gotta' imagine this "going through your phone" happens after you are handcuffed?

Yes. Once you're under arrest, the cops can legally search and read any papers they find in your possession. This case is an extension of the first "technology" case where it was found legal for cops to search pagers and electronic diaries, etc. They were considered "papers" at that time. This decision significantly changes the landscape of what's searchable on suspects.
PFF
System Bot
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's not "hate", it's cynicism. Not that our government is deserving of that...oh wait.....
sleevePAPA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sleevePAPASend a Private Message to sleevePAPAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rallaster:

The right to privacy is a RIGHT. Period. I shouldn't have to explain why it's bad for police to intercept cell phone signals carte blanche. I shouldn't have to stop using electronic devices to keep from being illegally surveilled. Illegal is illegal. Currently hypothetical situation that may not be hypothetical at some not-too-distant point in the future: "I'm being illegally jailed for speaking out against the government. Huh, guess I should shut up then." Right? RIGHT? The argument is that illegal is fracking ILLEGAL. I shouldn't have to stop exercising my rights because the government is doing something illegal to infringe upon those RIGHTS, and this really shouldn't even be an argument, anyway.

Then you have nothing to worry about, since you are doing nothing illegal.

[This message has been edited by sleevePAPA (edited 06-25-2014).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SCOTUS disagrees.
Unanimously

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 06-25-2014).]

Rallaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2014 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Seriously? You're going to defend an illegal act with "you're not doing anything illegal, so you have nothing to worry about"? So the government gets to skate free on violating the Constitution?

Yes or no question:
The Constitution provides an inalienable right to safeguard your person, house, papers and effects against unreasonable searches and seizures.

What is your definition of "Unreasonable searches and seizures", and how does that fit in with your "If you have done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear" statement?

Please explain why me wanting to secure myself from unreasonable searches and seizures, as afforded by the Constitution, automatically puts me in the crosshairs of various governmental law enforcement agencies.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2014 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Doesn't matter if i'm not doing anything wrong. I have a right to hide my life from the government. Unless there is a court order due to proven suspicion of wrong doing, its none of their business what i am eating, or how often i walk my dog or take a leak.. ( examples of legal activity )

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 06-26-2014).]

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2014 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You are part of the problem.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2014 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Technically, not without the warrant.

This is a prime example of the 'government' trying to cheat things 'well, the founding fathers never dreamed of digital devices so they dont count'. no they didnt, but they knew things would change and advance so they worded things very carefully when they outlined the rights that cant be violated..
dsnover

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2014 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dsnoverSend a Private Message to dsnoverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Are you REALLY sure that you don't have SOMETHING incriminating in your house, in your car, on your phone, etc, that could be used against you? Maybe the last person who borrowed your phone took an up-skirt photo without you knowing. Maybe a friend you gave a ride to left the remnants of a joint under your seat.

Three felonies a day. That's what the average person commits, mostly unknowingly. ( http://www.amazon.com/Three...nocent/dp/1594035229 )

If they want you, they will find the evidence. Why make it easier?

Lavrentiy Beria, head of Joseph Stalin’s secret police in the old Soviet Union, supposedly said, “Show me the man, and I’ll show you the crime.”

Yes, I think we are there now, too.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2014 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dsnover:

Are you REALLY sure that you don't have SOMETHING incriminating in your house, in your car, on your phone, etc, that could be used against you? .

While i agree, its missing the point. Even if you were 100% clean, its still none of their damned business unless there is a court order.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock