Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Please explain to me this Common Core math problem, WTF for a first grader, (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Please explain to me this Common Core math problem, WTF for a first grader, by 84fiero123
Started on: 05-15-2014 07:57 AM
Replies: 42 (728 views)
Last post by: Purple86GT on 05-16-2014 01:43 PM
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am not even going to get into how stupid this crap is and how ridiculous these problems are for first and second graders,

http://www.nationalreview.c...problems-alec-torres

found that problem after reading this article,

http://apnews.excite.com/ar...math-c1d58847e5.html

can someone please explain why a 6 or 7 year old needs to learn basic math that is beyond any kind of math I have ever seen in my entire life, including algebra, and trig that I have used maybe a few formulas of those in my entire lifetime and I can build just about anything you would ever want to build. but this crap is expected to be learned by first graders with their parent helping them at home. WTF is wrong with those people writing these standards? they want kids to learn complicated math in the first grade but don't learn how to write until jr high school, WTF.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's a new set of standards, which may or may not be crappy, but they shoved it into production before many were properly trained or given the proper shovels to dispense this "product". Some districts did. Others did not. And it shows. Even if the lessons are 'solid', the deployment was poorly planned, and each area is implementing it their own way.

I'm not a big fan of CC, or the "Wilson" stuff.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TheDigitalAlchemist

12441 posts
Member since Jan 2012
I hate how they "overcomplicated" early math. They should learn :
The numbers
Addition
Subtraction

Then teach them "tricks"

CC makes them break up small numbers into smaller ones, and then do an additional problem or problems. 5+7 should equal 12. Not 5+4+3=12.
And the measuring problems tick me off- they will say " use cubes to measure small items, but not large ones, but then in the very next problem, they ask you "how many cubes talk is this chair?"
They also ask you to measure things using crayons, pencils, and paperclips, and they keep changing the scale. Or they mess up some fundamental aspect of the question.
The teachers should be required to do the lessons prior to handing them out!!!!

fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its preparing future generations to be mindless robot workers that wont think outside of the box and will end up most likely voting democrat. Welcome to the future.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some of those are teaching concepts that will be important later on. Like, understanding that 7+7 doesn't just regurgitate an answer. Each number is just a combination of any amount of other numbers and can be manipulated if needed. That's a good lesson. There were a few other good lessons too. And then a few problems I didn't get (like the matching the "doubles plus 1" cards). But I think it was just wording.

The ones who will understand math will do so regardless of this. The ones who will have a hard time may be able to use some of these to better understand it. Others will still struggle regardless.
newf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looked at the article, seems like some good techniques to get kids to understand the relationship between numbers and their "value".

Depends on how it is taught I suppose.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shaded part?

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theBDub:

Some of those are teaching concepts that will be important later on. Like, understanding that 7+7 doesn't just regurgitate an answer. Each number is just a combination of any amount of other numbers and can be manipulated if needed. That's a good lesson. There were a few other good lessons too. And then a few problems I didn't get (like the matching the "doubles plus 1" cards). But I think it was just wording.

The ones who will understand math will do so regardless of this. The ones who will have a hard time may be able to use some of these to better understand it. Others will still struggle regardless.

please explain this one to me then,

Originally posted by 2.5:

Shaded part?

No Sh!t you noticed that one to huh.

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 05-15-2014).]

Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like how they used 2/4 and 2/8!! Genius!!
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

No Sh!t you noticed that one to huh.

Steve

That one was simply a misprint... There should undoubtedly be shaded areas. I've gotten tests with typos before. You go ask the teacher to clarify and they fix it.
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That one was simply a misprint... There should undoubtedly be shaded areas. I've gotten tests with typos before. You go ask the teacher to clarify and they fix it.

And you do that how with homework?

And how about the first one with the crayons explain that one to me and hundred million other parents in the world. remember we were never taught this new math crap 29,30, 40 years ago.

edit to add, I can't wait for you to have kids in school!

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 05-15-2014).]

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And how about the first one with the crayons explain that one to me...

That one was more about reading than math.
Lay the crayon along the picture of each object. If it's shorter than the crayon, circle it with a blue crayon. If it's longer, circle it with a red crayon.

It's not worded very clearly.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And you do that how with homework?

And how about the first one with the crayons explain that one to me and hundred million other parents in the world. remember we were never taught this new math crap 29,30, 40 years ago.

edit to add, I can't wait for you to have kids in school!

Steve

The one with crayons... lay the crayon down. If the shape is longer, one color. Shorter, another. I don't get your confusion on that problem.

And with homework, the question is very obviously misprinted. You think you're going to get points off for asking about it the next day? Jesus Christ, man. This isn't that hard. They aren't solving algebra they are adding 2+2=4.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:
It's not worded very clearly.

No Sh!t to be nice about it.
And who is to say you are right about that with the wording being so vague. Not saying you aren't but you could be and then your kid gets that one wrong. Then who's fault is it, your kids, yours, the teachers, whoever made the paper?

Steve

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The one with crayons... lay the crayon down. If the shape is longer, one color. Shorter, another. I don't get your confusion on that problem.

Are we talking about brand new crayons? If not, they will not be the same lengths. That will mean different kids will have different conclusions. Also, the "shapes" are mostly vehicles. What if the kid concludes that his crayon is never going to be longer than a car?

[This message has been edited by Boostdreamer (edited 05-15-2014).]

newf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is 0 context provided. Whose to say the students weren't taught exactly how to use the crayons before given the sheet, or for that matter weren't told to shade in certain areas with teacher instruction before matching the fractions.

Seems like there may be bigger fish to fry. The more rounded people are in the subject of math the better IMO!
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

Are we talking about brand new crayons? If not, they will not be the same lengths. That will mean different kids will have different conclusions. Also, the "shapes" are mostly vehicles. What if the kid concludes that his crayon is never going to be longer than a car?

It very clearly says "Take out a new crayon."

I swear you guys are just complaining to complain. I have seen stupid questions before and I'll see them again. But most of these aren't difficult to understand at all.
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It very clearly says "Take out a new crayon."

Sorry, I missed that. The pic I looked at said "Pin It a new crayon" That didn't make sense to me so I moved on to the next sentence.

BUT!!! It DOES say to circle the OBJECTS that are shorter than the crayon blue. (what is a crayon blue?) The OBJECTS depicted there are vehicles. None of those objects will be shorter than a regular new crayon. They MIGHT be shorter than "crayon blues" or "crayon reds" but those lengths were not defined in the text. That was prolly discussed by the teacher before the exercise as well!
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"5+7 should equal 12. Not 5+4+3=12."
They could have broken it down further into 1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1=12.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Also, the "shapes" are mostly vehicles. What if the kid concludes that his crayon is never going to be longer than a car?

No thinking outside the box allowed.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 05-15-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

"5+7 should equal 12. Not 5+4+3=12."
They could have broken it down further into 1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1=12.

That's the point. To teach them that numbers aren't specific to that one symbol, but that they just represent different numbers put together. The concept of "This is 7 and it is also 6+1" is important to understand early on.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

theBDub

9688 posts
Member since May 2010

Originally posted by 2.5:

No thinking outside the box allowed.

I mean, you can definitely make that argument. And you'd be correct in your own way. But common sense should also be a lesson, don't you think? I just don't see much reason to complain with these. I saw so many worse questions in my time at school...

[This message has been edited by theBDub (edited 05-15-2014).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I mean, you can definitely make that argument. And you'd be correct in your own way. But common sense should also be a lesson, don't you think? I just don't see much reason to complain with these. I saw so many worse questions in my time at school...

Yes common sense meaning knowing the answers they are looking for, but kids dont really have common sense, it is learned too in a way.
I do think this method of teaching seems like a work around, a helper for kids who dont understand it the "tradiaitonal" way. It will probably only be more confusuing to kids who would "get it" the traditional way. Maybe shouldnt be the main 1st try method. Its kind of weird I would love to know if it is helping or hurting.

I know what you mean I remember when I was in school it seemed like the writer of the books and tests got jollies trying to trick the kids with trick questions. To me that doesnt teach it confuses and makes learning more difficult than it needs to be.

I actually dont think young kids should have homework, the teaching and work should be done in class.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 05-15-2014).]

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's the point. To teach them that numbers aren't specific to that one symbol, but that they just represent different numbers put together. The concept of "This is 7 and it is also 6+1" is important to understand early on.

Yes, but it's very very very confiusing for little kids to do a second problem. "If 5+6=11, why do I need to also do 10+1=11?"
It's like saying that "cats and dogs are both animals, and oh, by the way, giraffe's have long necks, and they are also similiar to elephants because they have two eyes. Butterflies have very pretty wings...."
They're jumping around from piecemealed topic to piecemealed topic.

And it's not just Common Core which is assinine...

We now use "Fundations!"

http://www.fundations.com/

"Wilson Fundations for K-3 is a phonological/phonemic awareness, phonics and spelling program for the general education classroom. Fundations is based upon the Wilson Reading System® principles and serves as a prevention program to help reduce reading and spelling failure. "

ok, and what is "wilson Read System?"

"The Wilson Reading System (WRS) is the flagship program of Wilson Language Training and the foundation of all other Wilson programs. Based on Orton-Gillingham principles, WRS is a highly-structured remedial program that directly teaches the structure of the language to adults who have been unable to learn with other teaching strategies, or who may require multisensory language instruction."

They took something that was for Epecial Ed Adults, adapted it for children, and are now using THAT to teach kids. Not just special Ed kids.GENERAL EDUCATION. GAH, it's infuriating. and the teachers aren't thrilled with it, either.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

They took something that was for Epecial Ed Adults, adapted it for children, and are now using THAT to teach kids. Not just special Ed kids.GENERAL EDUCATION. GAH, it's infuriating. and the teachers aren't thrilled with it, either.

That sort of sounds like what these common core questions are too.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes, but it's very very very confiusing for little kids to do a second problem. "If 5+6=11, why do I need to also do 10+1=11?"
It's like saying that "cats and dogs are both animals, and oh, by the way, giraffe's have long necks, and they are also similiar to elephants because they have two eyes. Butterflies have very pretty wings...."
They're jumping around from piecemealed topic to piecemealed topic.

And it's not just Common Core which is assinine...

We now use "Fundations!"

http://www.fundations.com/

"Wilson Fundations for K-3 is a phonological/phonemic awareness, phonics and spelling program for the general education classroom. Fundations is based upon the Wilson Reading System® principles and serves as a prevention program to help reduce reading and spelling failure. "

ok, and what is "wilson Read System?"

"The Wilson Reading System (WRS) is the flagship program of Wilson Language Training and the foundation of all other Wilson programs. Based on Orton-Gillingham principles, WRS is a highly-structured remedial program that directly teaches the structure of the language to adults who have been unable to learn with other teaching strategies, or who may require multisensory language instruction."

I don't think it's the best way.

I'm just saying there is a reason they're doing this. It's completely understandable. People making a huge fuss about the problems above are blowing it out of proportion.

I prefer traditional education. I liked finding my own shortcuts. I'm just saying this also makes sense.
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Like, understanding that 7+7 doesn't just regurgitate an answer. Each number is just a combination of any amount of other numbers and can be manipulated if needed. That's a good lesson.

Not until after the kid learns the "7 + 7" part.
LONG after.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cheever3000:

Not until after the kid learns the "7 + 7" part.
LONG after.

Long after? We are already behind on education. We shouldn't waste the early years.
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gotta learn to crawl before you can walk, etc.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cheever3000:

Gotta learn to crawl before you can walk, etc.

I learned multiplication in 2nd grade. That seems the next step after these problems, no?
PFF
System Bot
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few things that would clean up our troubled school system:
1. Uniforms. Every kid gets a few pair of pants/skirts and a few shirts. No arguments/lawsuits over what the kids are wearing
2. Webcam in EVERY classroom. With audio. And the parents can log in and watch.
3. No electronic devices in the classroom. Phones, gaming devices, etc.

There are some charter schools in NY which are pretty incredible. They turned things around in only a few short years. Tripled or quadrupled the graduation rate! Their decorating style resembles "they live", but they sure cut through the BS!

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TheDigitalAlchemist

12441 posts
Member since Jan 2012

I learned multiplication in 2nd grade. That seems the next step after these problems, no?

And they made you memorize the times tables, didn't they? What drives me CRAZY is when they shrug that type of stuff off. It's not like if you don't learn some things when you are young,you never will, but imo,you should have the basics ingrained in your mind so they are almost "hard coded" - 'burned-in" like eprom.
Maybe you don't need to write words 10x, but wow, I see lots of kids not even finishing a simple drawing because it "hurts their hands". Or they just don't "know" school stuff like they know Skylanders. It just bugs me how much time and money is wasted on crap which is far, far removed from actual education...
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And they made you memorize the times tables, didn't they? What drives me CRAZY is when they shrug that type of stuff off. It's not like if you don't learn some things when you are young,you never will, but imo,you should have the basics ingrained in your mind so they are almost "hard coded" - 'burned-in" like eprom.
Maybe you don't need to write words 10x, but wow, I see lots of kids not even finishing a simple drawing because it "hurts their hands". Or they just don't "know" school stuff like they know Skylanders. It just bugs me how much time and money is wasted on crap which is far, far removed from actual education...

I agree with all of this. Yes, I memorized, and that was a great skill to learn in itself!
avengador1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More school idiocracy.
http://www.infowars.com/pri...student-over-doodle/

A principal at a middle school in Portland, Ore. suspended a student and then called the cops after the boy doodled a picture of a man hanging, another example of the mindless overkill that is becoming prevalent in American schools.

Image: Child Drawing (YouTube).
The boy’s father, Robert Bernard Keller, is suing the Beaverton Police Department and Beaverton School District in Federal Court after his 13-year-old son, B.R.K, was pulled out of class at Raleigh Hills and sent to the principal’s office for drawing a picture of a hanging man which was deemed to be threatening by school officials.
Despite the boy’s parents clearly expressing their demand that he not be interviewed alone, B.R.K. was questioned by both school psychologists and then interrogated by Beaverton Police Department officers about the drawing. His parents were not even notified that the police had been called, according to the lawsuit.
“At no time did the officers or school obtain a warrant, contact the minor child’s parents to obtain parental consent, provide a counselor or attorney to the minor child or advise B.R.K. of his right against self-incrimination or provide an advocate who could explain,” reports Courthouse News.
The family is seeking $100,000 dollars in damages for violations of the Fourth and 14th Amendments, false imprisonment and intentional infliction of emotional trauma.
Stories about children being suspended or even threatened with arrest for harmless drawings, particularly of firearms, have become so commonplace that to list them all would be redundant.
A recent similar case involved a student in Chicago who was suspended for wearing a t-shirt which featured an image of an AK-47.
When an 8-year-old special needs kid ran away from Hillside Learning and Behavior Center in Allegan, Michigan earlier this year, he was quickly found by school staff in a local store. However, instead of calling Edward Hart’s parents, the officials immediately contacted the police and Hart was later charged with two felonies.

At least the parents are suing these libtards. Maybe they will learn something from this.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BUT!!! It DOES say to circle the OBJECTS that are shorter than the crayon blue. (what is a crayon blue?) The OBJECTS depicted there are vehicles. None of those objects will be shorter than a regular new crayon. They MIGHT be shorter than "crayon blues" or "crayon reds" but those lengths were not defined in the text. That was prolly discussed by the teacher before the exercise as well!

Maybe this wording would be clearer:
"Draw blue circles around the pictures that are shorter than a new crayon; red circles around the pictures that are longer than a new crayon".

Perhaps the concept being explored is that length isn't necessarily horizontal...
The "circles" are more likely to be oval or obround rather than round as well... teaching that "circle" doesn't always infer "round".
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I hate how they "overcomplicated" early math. They should learn :
The numbers
Addition
Subtraction

Then teach them "tricks"

CC makes them break up small numbers into smaller ones, and then do an additional problem or problems. 5+7 should equal 12. Not 5+4+3=12.
And the measuring problems tick me off- they will say " use cubes to measure small items, but not large ones, but then in the very next problem, they ask you "how many cubes talk is this chair?"
They also ask you to measure things using crayons, pencils, and paperclips, and they keep changing the scale. Or they mess up some fundamental aspect of the question.
The teachers should be required to do the lessons prior to handing them out!!!!

That's the way I've always done math. Though it wasn't taught to me, I just did it. Except I wouldn't have broke down the 7, I would have broke down the 5. 5+7=12 [ 2+(7+3)=12 ]. Take 3 out of the 5, add it to the 7 to get 10, then add the 2 back in to get 12. 7+7=14: I take 3 from 1 seven and add it to the other, gives me 10, I add the remaining 4 and the result is 14. I could do this all day. I may not have written it down as such, but that's what it looked like in my head, and every math problem that could be broken down like that, was. No, it wasn't the way I was taught, and it pissed off my teachers to no end because I couldn't show the work they wanted to see when I did my homework and tests, but in 10 years of mathematics I don't recall ever getting a number problem wrong. Word problems, OTOH, I was horrendous with, I missed almost all of them, and still today I have to translate word problems to number problems by hand or I can't figure them out. As a result of all of this, I was failed out of all but 2 math classes I took all through grade school, middle school and high school.

I said all that to say this: Not everyone learns the same. Common Core, Core 40 and all the rest of the "standardized" bullshit is just that, bullshit. It's taking a hundred different shaped pegs and trying to force them all through a round hole that's a size too small. It's going to fail.
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Then teach them "tricks"

AHHHHHHH! Magicians do tricks, sleight of hand card tricks. Prostitutes turn tricks. EVERYTHING else involving how to do something or make something work is a TECHNIQUE, NOT A TRICK!
Sorry, I realize what you are saying, TDA, but I hate the word trick.

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by heybjorn:

AHHHHHHH! Magicians do tricks, sleight of hand card tricks. Prostitutes turn tricks. EVERYTHING else involving how to do something or make something work is a TECHNIQUE, NOT A TRICK!
Sorry, I realize what you are saying, TDA, but I hate the word trick.

I know...if I hear the phrase "trick words" one more time...
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-16-2014 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The trick is worded wrongly. It is a trick word.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock