Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Nobama Regime Wants to Lift Ban on Interstate Tolls (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Nobama Regime Wants to Lift Ban on Interstate Tolls by cliffw
Started on: 04-30-2014 01:44 PM
Replies: 56 (659 views)
Last post by: cliffw on 05-01-2014 07:41 PM
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The State of Georgia has already imposed a toll on about 18 miles of HOV lanes of I-85, Northeast of Atlanta. Previously they were regular lanes, then they repainted, making the lanes narrower to create an extra HOV lane. It was free, but required 2 persons in the vehicle. Now, they've converted it to a toll lane that only requires that you have a transponder and an account with the State of Georgia. No passenger required. It costs as much as $1.00 per mile during rush hours and as little as about $0.03 during off-peak hours.

If they really want to make an interstate a toll road, there are ways to do it without going through the US Congress.
IP: Logged
theBDub

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

Audit the highway trust fund is the first thing which comes to my mind. Evaluate it's usage. I don't think Americans would object to more taxes if they are truly needed.

"Needed"?

Sorry but if we cut the government down to just protecting our rights we wouldn't be anywhere near where we are now. I don't like that taxes go to roads at all, hell no do I want to pay more.
J-Holland

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for J-HollandSend a Private Message to J-HollandEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Strange concept here...charging tolls to drive on a Federal Interstate. I-44 going from Oklahoma City to the border, just west of Joplin has been a toll road for at least 45 years that I am aware of. And it is a toll road going from the south side of Oklahoma city SW towards Wichita Falls, TX for at least the last 40 years. The kicker is that the portion of turnpike between Oklahoma City and Tulsa was to have gone to a free road once it was paid off. That should have happened in 1985 or thereabouts but the monies are now being used by some commission to pay off all the other toll roads here in state as well as maintain them ( You can believe as much of that as you want).

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by masospaghetti:

It sounds like they are already cutting hand outs, no?

A drop in the bucket.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007
Problem is tolls start, then they dont stop. They arent temporary.
I would venture to guess "down the road" though we will have both tolls on interstates and smaller roads, and a larger gas tax, and possibly a mileage tax on top of that. But thats just the pessimist in me.
Look on the bright side, we dont have them yet.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by J-Holland:

Strange concept here...charging tolls to drive on a Federal Interstate. I-44 going from Oklahoma City to the border, just west of Joplin has been a toll road for at least 45 years that I am aware of. And it is a toll road going from the south side of Oklahoma city SW towards Wichita Falls, TX for at least the last 40 years. The kicker is that the portion of turnpike between Oklahoma City and Tulsa was to have gone to a free road once it was paid off. That should have happened in 1985 or thereabouts but the monies are now being used by some commission to pay off all the other toll roads here in state as well as maintain them ( You can believe as much of that as you want).

I was in Tulsa and Okla City (Tinker AFB) in the late 60s and I remember from Tulsa to Okla City, and Okla City to Wichita Falls both being $1.50 toll. I think it was the Turner and H E Bailey Turnpikes. They were nice highways with only a few exits along the way, and usually ran them over 100 mph.

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw: I4 and I 10 ? Interstate highways ? (Here I refer to it as IH 10.) Are A1A/US1 a part of the Interstate highway system ?

Yes, I-4 is an interstate highway, even though it never leaves the state (kinda funny). Highway A1A is not part of the interstate system. It's a state road. And US 1 is part of the older (before the interstate system) federal highway system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wik...._Route_1_in_Florida

Regarding the thread subject, my fear is that if the interstate highway system were completely opened up to toll usage, there would be a "bandwagon effect" resulting in toll booths everywhere. Since most of our goods are trucked on highways, this would result in increases in the cost of just about everything.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You know what else is sad? In cases where it would be manned they would probably consider it job creation.

FieroTony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroTonySend a Private Message to FieroTonyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Regarding the thread subject, my fear is that if the interstate highway system were completely opened up to toll usage, there would be a "bandwagon effect" resulting in toll booths everywhere. Since most of our goods are trucked on highways, this would result in increases in the cost of just about everything.

BINGO!!!

J-Holland

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for J-HollandSend a Private Message to J-HollandEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah Roger, they are good roads although you would not recognize some of the Turner turnpike now. They have taken out all of the gas stations with the exception of the plaza just west of Stroud and even that is different now. Several new exits have been put in on either end and instead of paying at the end of the turnpike, you pay at the toll plaza just east of Stroud. There are still booths at the exits.

My complaint here is that it seems as though there is always roadwork going on whenever I am on one of them and it is now $4.00 to go the entire distance on the Turner and the H.E. Bailey almost $5 to go the entire distance. I wouldn't mind it if we knew what was being done with money but the commission that runs the turnpikes is private rather than state run. Ergo, taxpayers don't know what is being done with the toll monies. But at least, we're not Virginia where it seems as though every highway is a toll road...at least from Richmond to Fort Pickett.

[This message has been edited by J-Holland (edited 05-01-2014).]

heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Bingo!

Originally posted by 2.5:

You know what else is sad? In cases where it would be manned they would probably consider it job creation.

Whoooo, 2.5, what a cutie!
PFF
System Bot
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The worst part about toll booths is the exits. Sometimes you can get by going to get gas and coming back with no charge. Sometimes, you can't.
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think this thread is a good example of, no matter what Obama does, a certain set of people will condemn his actions.The highway trust fund is running out. What do you do? Raise taxes? Create another tax? Or create tolls?

I get it, the money that was formerly appropriated for the trust fund was not spent wisely. But if the fund really will run out in August additional revenue needs to be raised in the short term.

What would you do?

Maybe the people who unwisely spent the money should have to pay it. Why should I pay for their mistake?
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dennis_6:

Maybe the people who unwisely spent the money should have to pay it. Why should I pay for their mistake?

How exactly are you going to make that happen?

I agree, absolutely, in a perfect world the crooks in Congress would be footing the bill themselves to repair our roads and bridges. But this isn't a perfect world, and there needs to be a plausible solution.

Rooting out waste and fraud is a start, but I don't think it would be fast enough on its own to prevent the fund from depleting later this year.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

I have no idea what they are talking about, does anyone actually realize just how many toll roads still exist in this country?

Steve

Yeah, but I think they're talking about the Eisenhower Interstate System. All the toll roads in Florida are state-roads that were created by the state of Florida and are not part of the interstate system... like the Dolphin Expressway, or the Don Shula Expressway, or my favorite, the Ronald Reagan Turnpike. hahah...

They're talking about making roads like I-75, I-95, roads like that... and put toll booths on them (if I understand correctly)... which is totally different. I can always take the interstate roads if I want, while the turnpike is an optional path.

Originally posted by cliffw:

I4 and I 10 ? Interstate highways ? (Here I refer to it as IH 10.) Are A1A/US1 a part of the Interstate highway system ? Those are the roads that they want to allow states to charge tolls on. Roads of which we were promised would not be toll roads when we were sold the bill of goods for a national fuel tax to build the roads.
Fine. They are built. Turn them completely over to the states. Drop the national fuel tax. It should be up to the states to invest in roads which bring commerce their way.

I don't think they would ever put tolls on A1A /US-1, for one, there's no room, and I think it's basically city-streets all the way from Key West to Maine. It's not a toll-kinda road. But, I guess I shouldn't put it past the Government. I just don't see that happening in my lifetime.

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 05-01-2014).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I agree, absolutely, in a perfect world the crooks in Congress would be footing the bill themselves to repair our roads and bridges. But this isn't a perfect world, and there needs to be a plausible solution.

Rooting out waste and fraud is a start, but I don't think it would be fast enough on its own to prevent the fund from depleting later this year.

How much you need?
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The problem is ? Just take it out of the "general fund" ... umm, back out of the general fund from which it has been used for instead of maintaining roads.
Since when is not being able to operate a government with money it has ever been a problem ? We borrow $28 billion a week to keep the doors of gooberment open. Which does not include money we BORROW to pay the interest on our debt.
Since these new "fees" will take time to be approved by the voters of the states, if they are, the money will not be available in time, before the funds are depleted.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock