Started on: 04-01-2014 10:16 AM
Replies: 75 (835 views)
Last post by: 84fiero123 on 04-30-2014 06:53 PM
yellowstone

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hard to watch (again).

Our meat consumption is already minimal and will decrease further.

What do you guys think about this?

I'd like to ask everyone who comments to actually watch the video (about 10 minutes). Thanks.

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 04-01-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
(I have seen it before, but I watched it again to refresh my memory)
What do I think about it? Not very much. Like anything else, one can take the worst case examples and make a video that purports to show "industry wide practices" when for most of us in the business, it is simply not true. Obviously, these things do happen, but it's been my experience that it's not to the extent shown in the video. By that I mean, it's not how most cattle producers treat their animals.
Regardless of whatthe video shows, in the US, most of the cattle raised are still raised on family farms, of less than 500 acres and fewer than 150 head per farm. (That is from the 2011 USDA ag census numbers--I had to fill one out too -"under penalty of law")

I use 2% lidocane injected in 3 places around each horn when dehorning cattle--just as a dentist does when we have dental work done--it's known as 'freezing" the immediate area surrounding the horn, but many do not simply because their vets won't write a prescription for it due to state laws prohibiting it--or because of possible liability issues stemming from improper use by drug dealers mixing it with "something else".

One of the short segments in the video showed a big mass hanging out the back of a cow. That, is a rare occurance, and it occasionally happens in all mammals including humans. It's a uterine prolapse, where, after having a calf, the uterus is pushed out the vulva by the cow when she tries to expel the afterbirth. I've never had it happen to one of mine, but I do know the procedure for putting one back in.

The "hammer looking" thing being used on the hips of pigs is a tattoo mallet. It identifies each animal with a unique number, and afaik, it is now required by USDA to be able to track the carcass from retailer back to source--back to farm. New regs (issued as of Feb 2014--effective Oct 2014) also require all beef animals sold in most states (including Texas) for slaughter or "back-to-farm" be permanently marked as well, either with brand, tattoo, or ear tag.
Most people who still brand, do it with a freeze branding iron instead of a hot branding iron.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 04-01-2014).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

(I have seen it before, but I watched it again to refresh my memory)
What do I think about it? Not very much. Like anything else, one can take the worst case examples and make a video that purports to show "industry wide practices" when for most of us in the business, it is simply not true. Obviously, these things do happen, but it's been my experience that it's not to the extent shown in the video. By that I mean, it's not how most cattle producers treat their animals.
Regardless of whatthe video shows, in the US, most of the cattle raised are still raised on family farms, of less than 500 acres and fewer than 150 head per farm. (That is from the 2011 USDA ag census numbers--I had to fill one out too -"under penalty of law")

What he said, seeing we raise all our own beef and any other animals we eat, pork, chickens, eggs everything on the farm is treated like they are pets, even get named, although you don't want to get named Normand or Fred if you are a cow, you are headed for freezer camp, Pigs named Porkchop or Bacon are also headed for freezer camp and all live in much better conditions that some people. None are abused as shown in that video and seeing that is the worst of the worst as proven by who did the video, PETA, HSUS, Chooseveg.com its just more of an advertisement than a true vision of the entire animal raising and slaughter, processed used in the majority of our meat industry in the US. you want to really see the truth, just go to a local to you family farm, dairy, or anyone else who raises their own food, you are welcome here anytime to see how our creatures are raise and butchered.
You want to buy humanely raised and butchered beef and pork get it from a local farm stand or farmer. I am sure if you are that concerned about how your meat is raised for the table just ask the farmer and they would be more than happy to bring you right to their farm and show you.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damned, it's about lunch time and now I can't decide if I want a burger or a chicken sandwich.

This is typical though, someone gets high on their horse with an agenda and shows the worst case scenario(s) they can find.

You know how you can tell if some one is a Vegan, don't worry they'll f@#king tell you!

Kevin
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There was a thread here in OT a few years ago in which articles were pasted explaining that plants feel pain as well as recognize other sensory inputs.
http://www.scientificameric...nk-daniel-chamovitz/

http://www.smithsonianchann...ants-respond-to-pain
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There was a thread here in OT a few years ago in which articles were pasted explaining that plants feel pain as well as recognize other sensory inputs.
http://www.scientificameric...nk-daniel-chamovitz/

http://www.smithsonianchann...ants-respond-to-pain

I meant to mention that, forgot, what else is new , plants are alive as well, but because they don't make noise when you cut them people don't think of them the same way as they do animals. never understood that but those HSUS and PETA people are only one sided in their views of life and pain.

Steve
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, when the sap comes running out the cut limbs, blades, and stems, it makes me so I just wanna set fire to my lawnmower and chainsaw.
FlyinFieros

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
User Banned

Report this Post04-01-2014 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All the more reason people need to raise their own food. They will have more appreciation for the 'finished product'.

Originally posted by 84fiero123:
never understood that but those HSUS and PETA people are only one sided in their views of life and pain.

The logic is simple: does it have an orgasm?

[This message has been edited by FlyinFieros (edited 04-01-2014).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"The pollination was good for me--was it good for you?"
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post04-01-2014 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...but because they don't make noise when you cut them....

They do...one of those noises is the smell of fresh-cut grass.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 04-01-2014).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's the odor of salty grass tears streaming down the grass's little blades. sniff sniff.....
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:

You could buy your meat from a particular farmer or farmers that you know treats animals the way you'd like.
What do you think about hunting wild animals for food, are the same reasons you are decreasing your farmed meat consuption applicable?
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:You could buy your meat from a particular farmer or farmers that you know treats animals the way you'd like.

True but too much meat is not too healthy anyways so we really don't buy any.

Originally posted by 2.5:

What do you think about hunting wild animals for food, are the same reasons you are decreasing your farmed meat consuption applicable?

I'm divided on that one. The life of wild animals is definitely better while I'm not so sure of the hunting skills of many people if this would be practiced on a large scale. I'd prefer professional hunters. In any case, meat from hunted wild animals wouldn't be a practical solution unless meat consumption would go back to where it used to be for most people (once or twice per week in small amounts).

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FlyinFieros:

The logic is simple: does it have an orgasm?

You've been looking at those Georgia O'Keeffe flower paintings again, haven't you?

(Of course, some would suggest that your criterion would remove a substantial portion of humanity from consideration. )

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 04-01-2014).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm divided on that one. The life of wild animals is definitely better while I'm not so sure of the hunting skills of many people if this would be practiced on a large scale. I'd prefer professional hunters. In any case, meat from hunted wild animals wouldn't be a practical solution unless meat consumption would go back to where it used to be for most people (once or twice per week in small amounts).

I dont mean as a solution to any problem. Just in general.
I understand about read meat and our health, but I didnt think that was what you posted the video about.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 04-01-2014).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm curious about this comment... I've never heard this before, where did you get that information from?
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

I'm curious about this comment... I've never heard this before, where did you get that information from?

"Our" as in: my wife's and mine.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think he's referring to himself and his wife.

Regarding the thread subject, I think if everyone knew just how the food they eat is made, they might eat less. And IMO, that in itself could help solve (or at least alleviate) a whole spectrum of problems plaguing our society.
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What you eat is up to you. I'll continue to eat steak, thanks.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-01-2014 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have killed & ate much meat.
What percentage was bloodlust, I cannot tell.
But it is quite clear I am a predator.
And carnivorous.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sourmug:

What you eat is up to you. I'll continue to eat steak, thanks.

Do you own pets? If so, what would you say if your dog (in case that's what you have) would have it's testicles ripped out and it's tail cut off, without anesthesia? Be stunned (with more or less success) and then hung upside down and have it's throat slit and then bathed in scalding water, possibly still alive? What about being filleted alive, as fish often are? Or have it's puppies killed right after birth either by clubbing them, stomping on them or suffocating them in a plastic bag? What about throwing puppies in a meat grinder, alive?

Here's another "nice" vid, this time with dogs (but where's the difference?):

PFF
System Bot
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

But it is quite clear I am a predator.
And carnivorous.

Of course we are (omnivorous, actually). The point here is how we treat these animals before they die to become our food. Should it be the least expensive way, with all the consequences that brings?
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

yellowstone

9299 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Regarding the thread subject, I think if everyone knew just how the food they eat is made, they might eat less. And IMO, that in itself could help solve (or at least alleviate) a whole spectrum of problems plaguing our society.

I agree.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-01-2014 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Of course we are (omnivorous, actually). The point here is how we treat these animals before they die to become our food. Should it be the least expensive way, with all the consequences that brings?

I despise cruelty in any form.
But I still use baited mousetraps and bug poison.
I am enigma.
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Do you own pets? If so, what would you say if your dog (in case that's what you have) would have it's testicles ripped out and it's tail cut off, without anesthesia? Be stunned (with more or less success) and then hung upside down and have it's throat slit and then bathed in scalding water, possibly still alive? What about being filleted alive, as fish often are? Or have it's puppies killed right after birth either by clubbing them, stomping on them or suffocating them in a plastic bag? What about throwing puppies in a meat grinder, alive?

Emotional argument...

I agree that the animals we use for food should be humanely treated as far as possible. I'm still going to eat steak.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Again another extreme example of the worst case scenario and not only that, but in China as well, makes me feel so much better about all the things I say about China and the things they make for money and how well they do things compared to us in the US.

To each his own, Cliff forum owner, doesn't like Lobster because they cook the animal alive. Melanie and Amanda love it, personally I prefer a good steak. I think it is like rubber, it tastes good but chews like rubber, except for the claws those are quite good. And one reason Red Lobster, the restaurant actually pulled out of Maine, we know what a Maine lobster looks and tastes like. they sell Caribbean lobsters with very tiny claws and tell you they are Maine lobster.

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 04-01-2014).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If shellfish is rubbery, generally the cause is being ovecooked. Both shrimp and crawfish also become "chewy" if boiled too long.
So will clams and to a lesser extent-oysters.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 04-01-2014).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-01-2014 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If shellfish is rubbery, generally the cause is being ovecooked. Both shrimp and crawfish also become "chewy" if boiled too long.
So will clams and to a lesser extent-oysters.

With lobster, I believe cutting it raw in to bite size pieces and dumping it into a bowl of hot butter for 5 minutes could be enough cooking.
I should try it sometime.

But yeah, overcooking seafood is the number 1 mistake.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Regarding the thread subject, I think if everyone knew just how the food they eat is made, they might eat less.

Doubtful.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

(Mcdonalds, hot dogs, spam)

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

The point here is how we treat these animals before they die to become our food.

I dont think you'll get much disagreement.
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

(Mcdonalds, hot dogs, spam)

Not just that type of processed meat either..
If, you saw 2 nearly identical steaks or roasts in the meat counter, and one said "This steak is from a steer that was fed chicken poop and feathers" and the other did not say that--which one would you choose?

Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mark it on your calendar. I agree with ya Yellowstone.

I'm limiting my meat intake, and doing what I can to eat food that is not mass produced. (Tyson's anything etc.)

Driving through California I got to drive past their "Happy Cows" in feed lots that go on for miles. The whole area was depressing, and inhumane IMO. They have the same thing in Texas of course, but California advertizes their Cows getting almost movie star treatment, when the reality is that they are standing knee deep in their own crap, packed into a group so tightly that they cannot move, waiting for food to come down a conveyer. Then we wonder how on earth diseases spread so quickly.

Brad
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Feedlots are a pretty depressing place, but the animals are only there for a comparatively short period of time--30-60 days. Their next stop is the kill floor.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 04-02-2014).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Feedlots are a pretty depressing place, but the animals are only there for a comparatively short period of time--30-60 days. Their next stop is the kill floor.

Not at our place, they get an entire acre or more for 2 cows to graze and feed grain every day.

but then we eat our own, never buy store bought meat and rarely sell any although we do give a lot away to friends, bacon mostly, but even that is limited because we only raise so much for ourselves. the mass production of beef and pork has caused a lot of this BS in regards to the videos posted. corporate farming is what you see for the most part under the cellophane at the grocery store. You want to buy well feed and treated meats, go to the local farmers market and buy it there, they make their living off their animals and treat them a lot better than any of those videos posted.

Say what you like, post all the extreme videos you want, they are the extreme examples of bad farming by corporate farmers. you want to see how a real farmer raises their animals, go to Dons or my place or any other local farmers place. that all I got to say on this subject, but I am sure Melanie will post if she ever remembers her password.

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 04-02-2014).]

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

the mass production of beef and pork has caused a lot of this BS in regards to the videos posted. corporate farming is what you see for the most part under the cellophane at the grocery store. You want to buy well feed and treated meats, go to the local farmers market and buy it there, they make their living off their animals and treat them a lot better than any of those videos posted.

Say what you like, post all the extreme videos you want, they are the extreme examples of bad farming by corporate farmers

No one ever said anything to the contrary and I agree with you. However, from under the cellophane at the supermarket is where most people get their meat these days. And the cheaper the better. This is what's causing the images in the video and this is where the problem is.

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No one ever said anything to the contrary and I agree with you. However, from under the cellophane at the supermarket is where most people get their meat these days. And the cheaper the better. This is what's causing the images in the video and this is where the problem is.

I wonder how much our population has increased in that same time period?

I bet that chart would look a lot like this one.

Ayup

76.09 million in 1900
313.91 million in 2012

now turn that into a chart and I bet it looks a lot like yours

http://www.multpl.com/unite...tes-population/table

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 04-02-2014).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And how much has our beef herd decreased?
(smallest in 60 years according to USDA) But the chart is for "meat" not just beef. The decrease at the far right side of the chart is mirroring the current recession.
Meat consumprion per capita would be more telling over the course of the same time period.

Please define "corporate farms".

I wonder how much our population has increased in that same time period?

I bet that chart would look a lot like this one.

Ayup

76.09 million in 1900
313.91 million in 2012

now turn that into a chart and I bet it looks a lot like yours

http://www.multpl.com/unite...tes-population/table

Steve

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And how much has our beef herd decreased?
(smallest in 60 years according to USDA) But the chart is for "meat" not just beef. The decrease at the far right side of the chart is mirroring the current recession.
Meat consumprion per capita would be more telling over the course of the same time period.

Please define "corporate farms".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_farming

Farms are expensive to operate; input costs may include farm machinery, crop insurance, fertilizers, irrigation, pesticides, fuel, and seeds.

One major difference between independent farming and corporate farming is that a corporate farmer is usually a contracted employee, rather than the owner of the farm.

Although 14% of total food production comes from the two percent of all farms in the United States that are owned by corporations or other non-family entities, 50% of food production comes from the biggest two percent of all farms. In 1900, it came from 17% of all farms.[2]

Effects ascribed to corporate farming[edit]

Agriculture is an industry which provides significant economies of scale to large producers. Some of those include Archers Daniels Midland, Monsanto, Tyson and Del Monte. Bonanza farms were significant in the history of farming in the United States. Some crops are usually farmed in large plantations with many employees, to get those economies.

Steve
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

but then we eat our own, never buy store bought meat and rarely sell any although we do give a lot away to friends, bacon mostly, but even that is limited because we only raise so much for ourselves. the mass production of beef and pork has caused a lot of this BS in regards to the videos posted. corporate farming is what you see for the most part under the cellophane at the grocery store. You want to buy well feed and treated meats, go to the local farmers market and buy it there, they make their living off their animals and treat them a lot better than any of those videos posted.

Say what you like, post all the extreme videos you want, they are the extreme examples of bad farming by corporate farmers. you want to see how a real farmer raises their animals, go to Dons or my place or any other local farmers place. that all I got to say on this subject, but I am sure Melanie will post if she ever remembers her password.

Steve

Yes, I and most farmers/ranchers treat our animals well, but your post is quite misleading to those who don't know how the majority of the meat in this country is produced--especially/specifically---- beef.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock