Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Teen Gets Accidental $31,000 Bank Deposit - Spends It (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Teen Gets Accidental $31,000 Bank Deposit - Spends It by Zeb
Started on: 03-31-2014 12:12 PM
Replies: 50 (943 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 04-03-2014 09:01 AM
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

What the heck for? How did a deposit into his account inconvenience him at all... except for maybe him having to make a phone call to report it.

The kid knew it wasn't his money. He's no better than a common thief for spending it. If the kid had stolen $3 worth of empty's from your yard you would've shot him.

If anyone is to get a "bonus", it should be the person who trusted the bank to put their deposit into the proper account.

It's amazing how many would-be thieves are here....

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

IP: Logged
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Red88FF:
Really? Sounds like some personal speculation filling in your own blanks and then a theory based on bad information.

From the quoted article.
On March 7 the First Citizens Bank in Hull, Georgia made a mistake, depositing $31,000 from a customer named Steven Fields into the account of another customer with the same name

Looks to be clearly the banks fault.
I never fill out my own slips, other than my name. They always do it for me with a smile,

of course. thats what all these discussions are. If you have extra some info not provided - please share.

Banks deposit money into NUMBERED accounts, not NAMED accounts. Steven Fields WAS given a receipt of deposit which he can use to dispute or validate the deposit. Steven Field screwed up, not the bank. This scenario is exactly why many banks are now NOT doing the slips for you, or doing any account lookups based on ID.

I 100% agree that by general standards the 2nd Steven Fields taking and spending the money is "wrong". But - it was the original Steven Fields who fu(ked up.
Red88FF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Red88FFSend a Private Message to Red88FFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

of course. thats what all these discussions are. If you have extra some info not provided - please share.

Banks deposit money into NUMBERED accounts, not NAMED accounts. Steven Fields WAS given a receipt of deposit which he can use to dispute or validate the deposit. Steven Field screwed up, not the bank. This scenario is exactly why many banks are now NOT doing the slips for you, or doing any account lookups based on ID.

I 100% agree that by general standards the 2nd Steven Fields taking and spending the money is "wrong". But - it was the original Steven Fields who fu(ked up.

I don't get what your saying. The article says the BANK made the mistake, I guess that must be my "extra" information.

And yes, they will do a slip for you, they do it for me every time. In fact I am going down there this morning to transfer some money and they will do it again.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post04-01-2014 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And yes, they will do a slip for you, they do it for me every time. In fact I am going down there this morning to transfer some money and they will do it again.

Yup.
I always just sign my paycheck, put my account number on it, go to the drive through and say, "This is for deposit".
They fill out a deposit slip, ask if I want my balance, then give me a deposit receipt.

Except 2 weeks ago when a new teller sent the full check amount in cash back with my deposit slip...double payday!
I of course then had to go in and spend 15 minutes convincing them of their mistake.
It seems it's not something they like to admit...
Red88FF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red88FFSend a Private Message to Red88FFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Yup.
I always just sign my paycheck, put my account number on it, go to the drive through and say, "This is for deposit".
They fill out a deposit slip, ask if I want my balance, then give me a deposit receipt.

I just swipe my card and they write in the account number.

Of course I also look at my balance on my receipt and make sure it is correct. Somebody should have done that here, especially when 31 grand is involved. Should not have to, not required, in fact they don't always give you a balance unless you ask, but certainly prudent to do so.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I fill out a deposit slip and sign the check if there is one, they give me back a printed reciept with accnt number, date and that amount. They do it every time. I never make a deposit without going in the bank. Soon as it shows on my account online, I transfer most of it to my other bank and keep the rest for my local expenses.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I just swipe my card and they write in the account number.

All done electronically when I swipe my card, but there is ALWAYS a couple of questions--"Do you want to print a receipt? Yes or No ".
"Do you want to print your new balance? Yes or No."
(my personal 'at counter' deposits also require my signature)

1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't get what your saying. The article says the BANK made the mistake, I guess that must be my "extra" information..

That's probably for PR purposes. Putting the blame on the customer looks bad.
If the bank was just mailed a check made out to Steven Fields without any other information, and they put it into a different Steven Fields' account, who made the mistake?
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The moron that mailed (or presented) the check without any other form of identifier.
Here, I would need a routing & accounting number (at the least) to make a deposit into someone else's account, and I cannot personally do it at all if I am not on that person's account as a signer.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 04-01-2014).]

Fiero_Fan_88

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^^^^^ Of course!!

If you find an unmarked bag of money tossed in your backyard (probably a drug dealer's) with no identification/paperwork inside to possibly identify who it belongs to - maybe then you can invoke "finders keepers". (though I'd think the drug dealers would be back toting guns)

Money accidentally put into your bank account has a paper trail.
Of course the bank will eventually figure out the mistake - and any missing money is considered STOLEN.
PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay