Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Some reasons to buy an AMERICAN car insted of a Korean vehicle (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Some reasons to buy an AMERICAN car insted of a Korean vehicle by NEPTUNE
Started on: 03-25-2014 09:04 AM
Replies: 60 (1088 views)
Last post by: htexans1 on 03-30-2014 07:47 PM
Fiero_Fan_88

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_Fan_88Send a Private Message to Fiero_Fan_88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I own only one car and rely on it heavily every day like most people, it makes sense to buy a Korean car that comes with a 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty.
Too bad I need a truck, I'll just settle for a Fiat owned Dodge.

The only American made product I own is my two Polaris, I'll buy American when GM or Ford build something worth owning and of good quality, until then, nope. Italian/Japanese/German it is.
IP: Logged
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:
I walked in the house and asked what that peace of crap import was doing in my driveway.

I missed out on a bunch of good puzzy in my life because the pink was wrapped in black, yellow, brown, ... or listened to country music ...
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's what you tell yourself, anyway, but how could you know?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by craigsfiero2007:

I wouldn't say Chrysler is on shaky ground anymore, GM is on more shaky ground then Chrysler. The new Dodge Dart is based off an Alfa Romeo Giulietta, so they have already started bringing in some of the European cars into the Dodge name. Fiat is a good car company and I believe they are going to do great things with Chrysler. Most People don't know that Fiat also owns Ferrari, Maserati, Alfa Romeo, Lancia, and now Chrysler. So I would say they have the funds and people to pull off quality cars and trucks.

What I meant by shakey ground is the fact that they could be called European or American because of who owns them now. They are doing very well all by themselves these days. I own a Chrysler now (my only car), and always been a Mopar guy since the 60s. As I see it right now, the only way Id get rid of the one I have is to trade it for a Dodge minivan in the same condition. I havent spent $100 in repairs since I got it in 04, 104,000 miles ago. Battery, heater fan switch, power seat motor. The seat motor was even very minor...it was only for the lumbar support.

**BTW, German, namely Mercedes and BMW quality has fallen far from what it used to be too. I love Mercedes SLs, and you couldnt give me one made after about 92. Even their paint jobs now are crap...they have as much orange peel from the factory as a Toyota. I recently fixed a door on a new black AMG sedan and had a hard time matching the texture to make it as crappy as the OEM paint.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 03-26-2014).]

Fiero_Fan_88

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_Fan_88Send a Private Message to Fiero_Fan_88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:
What I meant by shakey ground is the fact that they could be called European or American because of who owns them now. They are doing very well all by themselves these days. I own a Chrysler now (my only car), and always been a Mopar guy since the 60s. As I see it right now, the only way Id get rid of the one I have is to trade it for a Dodge minivan in the same condition. I havent spent $100 in repairs since I got it in 04, 104,000 miles ago. Battery, heater fan switch, power seat motor. The seat motor was even very minor...it was only for the lumbar support.

What do you consider your Sebring, or any Chrysler from 1998 to 2007 while under the ownership of Daimler-Benz AG?
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My wife insists on buying German cars (although right now she has a Jeep), but I always buy American brands. I might get swayed now and then into an import project car now and then... but my daily driver will likely never be anything but an American car.
DanDamage

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanDamageSend a Private Message to DanDamageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DanDamage:snip

You have a thing for that guy, don't you?
DanDamage

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanDamageSend a Private Message to DanDamageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hahahaha , he's actually a great QB . He just had a horrible 2nd season after his rookie
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

My wife insists on buying German cars (although right now she has a Jeep), but I always buy American brands. I might get swayed now and then into an import project car now and then... but my daily driver will likely never be anything but an American car.

I Have Taught You Well, Young Padawan

Glad to see you back from the dark side,

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero_Fan_88:

What do you consider your Sebring, or any Chrysler from 1998 to 2007 while under the ownership of Daimler-Benz AG?

Like I just said, thats why I said its a little shakey what to call them. Since Chryslers are pretty much made in the US, I still consider it an American car, although you could say its a European import, although it wasnt made and brought here from Germany (or Italy). In Europe, Sebrings are considered imports from the US. Now it gets even shakier. Convertibles only are made in the US and on a Cirrus platform. Sedans and coupes for some years are Japanese, based on the Mitsubishi Eclipse. Some of the convertibles parts are also Mitsubishi Eclipse, for example most of the interior and the outside door handles. The convertible and coupe/sedan share very little chassis and body parts...except for certain years. So you could say American, German, Italian, or Japan and at least be partly correct depending on the year. Myself, Ill just say its American as Chrysler, no matter who buys it is still an American icon. When they start building them in Italy, with Italian bosses and employees and shipping them to the US as imports...then Ill call them a European import same as any Fiat or Mercedes.

PFF
System Bot
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Must be many Americans buying German cars. They are 3rd in trade imbalance with the U..S., right behind China and Japan. South Korea isn't even in the top 15. From the link posted previously, 2013 totals:

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

I Have Taught You Well, Young Padawan

Glad to see you back from the dark side,

Steve

Hahah... don't worry... only American for me.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

When they start building them in Italy, with Italian bosses and employees and shipping them to the US as imports...then Ill call them a European import same as any Fiat or Mercedes.

As I posted earlier in this thread, the Italian-made Jeep Renegade is coming...
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by craigsfiero2007:

I wouldn't say Chrysler is on shaky ground anymore, GM is on more shaky ground then Chrysler. The new Dodge Dart is based off an Alfa Romeo Giulietta, so they have already started bringing in some of the European cars into the Dodge name. Fiat is a good car company and I believe they are going to do great things with Chrysler. Most People don't know that Fiat also owns Ferrari, Maserati, Alfa Romeo, Lancia, and now Chrysler. So I would say they have the funds and people to pull off quality cars and trucks.

I'm thinking you weren't around in the 70's the last time Fiat sold cars in the US?
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

carnut122

9122 posts
Member since Jan 2004

Originally posted by yellowstone:

You will soon be able to call a Jeep a European import:

It will probably sell just as well as that import they called a GTO.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 04:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see Fiats every day....all the dodge dealerships sell the Fiat 500s here, have for a few years. Don't they south of the border?
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stubby79:

I see Fiats every day....all the dodge dealerships sell the Fiat 500s here, have for a few years. Don't they south of the border?

No, same here. 500's everywhere (along with Minis and Smart cars) - a lot of small cars on the streets nowadays! Makes me feel bigger in the Fiero
Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I still call them Japanese because the money goes mostly back to Japan. Wherever US cars get their parts from, if the money stays here, its a US car.

That's the way I define it also.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:

You will soon be able to call a Jeep a European import:

[QUOTE]The Jeep Renegade is a subcompact crossover SUV (mini SUV in Europe) from the Jeep division of Chrysler. It will be built in Melfi, Italy alongside the related Fiat 500X with which it shares its platform. It was first shown to the public in March, 2014 at the Geneva Motor Show.

This will be the first Jeep product to be produced exclusively outside of the United States and North America, being produced in Melfi, Italy. The SUV will sell in both European and North American markets.
[/QUOTE]

Yep, so be it. Of course that only applies to that model. All the other US makes that build a car in Europe/Asia, sell them here as imports.

htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Camaro I had wasn't American, it was built in Canada. It had problems.

The Shelby I have now has been relatively trouble free.

To bad my neighbor cannot say that about his VOlt.

I try to buy American, but given todays "world economy" its damn near impossible. Even our military TA 50 (field equipment) is full of chinese sourced crap.
PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay