Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Some reasons to buy an AMERICAN car insted of a Korean vehicle (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Some reasons to buy an AMERICAN car insted of a Korean vehicle by NEPTUNE
Started on: 03-25-2014 09:04 AM
Replies: 60 (1088 views)
Last post by: htexans1 on 03-30-2014 07:47 PM
NEPTUNE

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In case you didn't know, the Korean government, like their Japanese role models, heavily subsidse their auto industry.

------------------

I speak English. Sue me.

[This message has been edited by NEPTUNE (edited 03-25-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your grandfather didn't buy 'immigrant cars'

[

In the '50's the Dodge was a 'step up' from the Chrysler economy car, Plymouth.
It was Chrysler's answer to GMs Oldsmobile/ Pontiac cars.
Remember Mercury?
Mercury has been described as the car Ford would have built if the accountants all quit their jobs.

Chevrolet makes sturdy, low priced cars:

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

In the tune of many, many billions of dollars. The US government subsidized or even owned:
GM
Chrysler x 2

Not to say how much the government gave them during war production.

Who ever (Union Thugs) could deliver votes and the best hookers got a hand in the pockets of taxpayers (government purse).
NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GM vs the Martians:
Their secret weapon? the Oldsmobile Rocket V8!

Apparently, the Martians landed in Seoul, South Korea....or someplace other than Lansing MI.

Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Too late

[This message has been edited by Gokart Mozart (edited 03-25-2014).]

NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

In the tune of many, many billions of dollars. The US government subsidized or even owned:
GM
Chrysler x 2

Who ever (Union Thugs) could deliver votes and the best hookers got a hand in the pockets of taxpayers (government purse).

In the future, will the cool kids be dancing to the hit song: Rockin' my Hyundai Sonata?
Bwhahahaha

Or boot scootin' to Drivin' my Kia on down the road?

Probably not..
But they may be drinking energy drinks in tin cans made from recycled cars by faceless Asian corporations.

NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

NEPTUNE

10199 posts
Member since Aug 2001

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

Too late

May your god have mercy on your Seoul.

How many Rodent Power does the brave little toaster have?

DanDamage

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanDamageSend a Private Message to DanDamageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
how about my '93 geo metro?
Click to show

[This message has been edited by lurker (edited 03-25-2014).]

spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

Too late

Got Honky Tonkitis in your Soul? (click on pic]

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buick Encore, "assembled" in Korea. Any more you cannot determine where cars are built/assembled as it is a world wide industry. Chinese parts, Taiwan made parts, Hungarian made parts etc.
PFF
System Bot
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NEPTUNE:

May your god have mercy on your Seoul.

How many Rodent Power does the brave little toaster have?

new year, new look
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Gokart Mozart

12143 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Originally posted by spark1:

Got Honky Tonkitis in your Soul? (click on pic]

look at his fingers, dang!
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

GM
Chrysler x 2

Yes, 'DID' to Chryslers loans...which they paid back, completely, much quicker than they had to. GM got 'forgiven' their payback, so they didnt pay back anything.

All the manufacturers got government money during wartime because they were producing war equipment...like planes, tanks, trucks, jeeps, boats....
NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:

Buick Encore, "assembled" in Korea. Any more you cannot determine where cars are built/assembled as it is a world wide industry. Chinese parts, Taiwan made parts, Hungarian made parts etc.

What currency is the CEO paid in?
Dollars?
Yen?
Won?

That's a pretty weak attempt at deflection, I think.
What currency is your income paid in?

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the bank getting paid in? That's where my money is going.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
People buy Korean cars because they're cheap, and idiots. The same people will buy Chinese cars when they finally come over here, because it's just a matter of time. Maybe when those get here and fatalities increase dramatically, and breakdowns go back to 1970's levels, people will start to THINK about what they buy? There's no reason not to buy American, German, or Japanese.

I bought a Japanese car because American car companies don't offer anything remotely close to it, and I can't afford a Tesla, a used Roadster or a Model S. I'll buy the best car from whoever makes it. All things being equal, I would prefer an American car, but whoever makes the best product will get my business. Really hoping the Tesla Model E is out by the time I pay off this car.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RWDPLZ

15010 posts
Member since May 2002

In case you didn't know, the Korean government, like their Japanese role models, heavily subsidizes the auto industry.

You know the Japanese and the Koreans hate each other, right?
DanDamage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanDamageSend a Private Message to DanDamageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

You know the Japanese and the Koreans hate each other, right?

not true, the Chinese and Japanese hate eachother. Japs hate everyone, but they accept Koreans much more than accepting any Chinese in their land. Also Kia or Hyundai use Mitsubishi motors for their cars. pretty sure its Hyundai.

in communist Venehella i saw many crap Chinese cars , the are called "CHERY" instead of chevy, i was like wtf, the cars are even named in ENGLISH! wtf,this is a Chery Grand Tiger !!!!

fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Motto:

Don't buy a Kia or a Dodge truck(any year)...
spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's a Mitsubishi transmission in my Fiero. (stock)

I'll bet the Koreans purchase heavily government subsidized Boeing aircraft from the U.S. too.
A Greyhound employee I knew in Phoenix was selling their used buses to a Korean company.
Hyundai builds cars in Alabama. At least it's more of a balanced two-way trade with Korea than with China or Japan.

edit: https://www.census.gov/fore...s/top/top1312yr.html

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 03-25-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DanDamage:

Snip...Also Kia or Hyundai use Mitsubishi motors for their cars. pretty sure its Hyundai.

Snip...

Hyundai is the parent company of Kia.

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 03-25-2014).]

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DanDamage:

not true, the Chinese and Japanese hate eachother. Japs hate everyone, but they accept Koreans much more than accepting any Chinese in their land. Also Kia or Hyundai use Mitsubishi motors for their cars. pretty sure its Hyundai.

in communist Venehella i saw many crap Chinese cars , the are called "CHERY" instead of chevy, i was like wtf, the cars are even named in ENGLISH! wtf,this is a Chery Grand Tiger !!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wik..._under_Japanese_rule
http://answers.yahoo.com/qu...ex?qid=1005120700151
http://thediplomat.com/2013...i-korean-hate-group/

engine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wik...obal_Engine_Alliance
DanDamage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanDamageSend a Private Message to DanDamageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
like i said they hate anything not japanese, they hated the chinese for much longer since the 1600s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wik...e_sentiment_in_Japan
NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In 1929, way before I was born, The (American) Ford Motor corp. was building the first all metal passenger airplanes.
The Kia/Hyundai companies were trying to make a kite that would fly.

(Thanks, Spark. I washed a lot of cars for an Oldsmobile dealer when I was a kid)

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Corvette is as good as any sports car ever made and EBR makes a motorcycle second to none.
If you have ever driven a Mack or a Peterbilt, you know that nobody can build a truck like an American.
Sam Adams Double Bock and Imperial Stout are first class brews, and if you have ever been lucky enough to taste Sam's Triple Bock, you know what they will serve in heaven.
I am proud to own an American pickup, three American cars and three American motorcycles.

America takes a back seat to NO ONE!!!

Thank you Neptune, for this thread.

------------------

NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Back at ya, dood.
In my driveway you'll see a Buick, a Dodge and a Chrysler.
There are a couple of Pontiac Fieros around here somewhere, too.
When my (wonderful, fabulous) daughter in law comes over, she parks her Korean car on the street.
I never asked her to, but I guess she just gets it.

------------------

I speak English. Sue me.

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 04:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

The Corvette is as good as any sports car ever made and EBR makes a motorcycle second to none.
If you have ever driven a Mack or a Peterbilt, you know that nobody can build a truck like an American.

Finally the Corvette is as good as any sports car ever made. It's only taken them 59 60 years to get it right.
I don't like sports bikes. What about a dual purpose? How different are the big bikes, really, and what other option do they offer, besides Sportys?
The big semis over here work because we have space and long distances to travel. Long nose trucks are more comfortable than cab overs.
FieroTony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroTonySend a Private Message to FieroTonyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Back at ya, dood.
When my (wonderful, fabulous) daughter in law comes over, she parks her Korean car on the street.

We don't agree on a few things, (well actually a lot of things), but this I'm there with you. Got a Fiero, Silverado, Trail Blazer in the driveway, 66 Mustang and Harley in the garage.

I've told my 5 daughters while they're living under my roof, if they bring one of those imported pieces of crap home they can park it somewhere else. (Yes that includes foreign cars built in America or American cars built overseas.)

firstfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 172
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firstfieroSend a Private Message to firstfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Top 5 most unreliable care were all american again this year...that's why I buy german or Japanese. We make garbage....I don't care who subsidizes it
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What currency is the CEO paid in?
Dollars?
Yen?
Won?

That's a pretty weak attempt at deflection, I think.
What currency is your income paid in?

I'm sure the employees in Korea assembling cars are not paid in US dollars. What do you believe?
NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think there's something wrong with this picture, but I just can't quite put my finger on it:

The driver was in Wal Mart.
Don't get me started on THAT.

[This message has been edited by NEPTUNE (edited 03-26-2014).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Toyota and Honda have plants in the US. Just 40 miles from me is a huge Honda plant thats been there like 30 years. They make Acuras, Accords and motorcycles I think...and the new sports car this summer. I still call them Japanese because the money goes mostly back to Japan. Wherever US cars get their parts from, if the money stays here, its a US car. Chrysler is on shakey ground there now that they are owned by Fiat. I still cant call a Chrysler a European import though. I dont have anything to back it up, but even if Fiat owns it, I think most of the money stays in the US and most of them are made here.
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Toyota and Honda have plants in the US. Just 40 miles from me is a huge Honda plant thats been there like 30 years. They make Acuras, Accords and motorcycles I think...and the new sports car this summer. I still call them Japanese because the money goes mostly back to Japan. Wherever US cars get their parts from, if the money stays here, its a US car. Chrysler is on shakey ground there now that they are owned by Fiat. I still cant call a Chrysler a European import though. I dont have anything to back it up, but even if Fiat owns it, I think most of the money stays in the US and most of them are made here.

I wouldn't say Chrysler is on shaky ground anymore, GM is on more shaky ground then Chrysler. The new Dodge Dart is based off an Alfa Romeo Giulietta, so they have already started bringing in some of the European cars into the Dodge name. Fiat is a good car company and I believe they are going to do great things with Chrysler. Most People don't know that Fiat also owns Ferrari, Maserati, Alfa Romeo, Lancia, and now Chrysler. So I would say they have the funds and people to pull off quality cars and trucks.
Red88FF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red88FFSend a Private Message to Red88FFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spark1:

There's a Mitsubishi transmission in my Fiero. (stock)

There is one in my 85 ranger too. This has been going on a very long time.

Seriously, I really don't give a crap anymore. My PT Cruiser is Mexican, which is far better quality than the Canadian one. One buddy of mine just bought and SLK the parts are something like 80% transferable to the Chrysler Crossfire my other friend bought.

Yep, buy American and be the only one that cares.

All of our cars here in my driveway are "American" too heh
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:

I agree. And there's more:

The Opel Mokka is a subcompact SUV from the German manufacturer Opel, which was unveiled at the 2012 Geneva Motor Show and went on sale at the end of the same year. It was engineered by Opel in Rüsselsheim, Germany, and is produced in Bupyeong, South Korea. It is also marketed as the Vauxhall Mokka in the United Kingdom, and as the Buick Encore in North America and China.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

yellowstone

9299 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I still cant call a Chrysler a European import though. I dont have anything to back it up, but even if Fiat owns it, I think most of the money stays in the US and most of them are made here.

You will soon be able to call a Jeep a European import:

The Jeep Renegade is a subcompact crossover SUV (mini SUV in Europe) from the Jeep division of Chrysler. It will be built in Melfi, Italy alongside the related Fiat 500X with which it shares its platform. It was first shown to the public in March, 2014 at the Geneva Motor Show.

This will be the first Jeep product to be produced exclusively outside of the United States and North America, being produced in Melfi, Italy. The SUV will sell in both European and North American markets.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think there's something wrong with this picture, but I just can't quite put my finger on it:

Well ... you are from FloriDUH.
Oh look. So is the car driver.

Eh, just raggin' on you Neptune. I love you buddy. You can buy me a beer anytime. Now is good, .
Just kidding. I am setting you up for a biatch slappin' in another thread, .
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Back at ya, dood.

My mother came to visit one time when I was helping a friend build a car port in town, wife called and said she was here and I came home. She was driving a Hyundai, I walked in the house and asked what that peace of crap import was doing in my driveway. she said my kid brother bought it and she had cosigned for the loan and he couldn't pay for it so she took it and drove it, figuring if she had to pay the payments she may as well be driving it. it broke down more than it ran.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock