Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Build A Motherboard, Processor, & Memory That Loves Each Other For $500... (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Build A Motherboard, Processor, & Memory That Loves Each Other For $500... by Boondawg
Started on: 03-22-2014 09:19 PM
Replies: 60 (709 views)
Last post by: Boondawg on 03-27-2014 07:13 PM
aceman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 203
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Microcenter i7 4770 ($269.99) + MSI Z87-GD65($154.99)= $455.92 with tax

The i5 4670($189.99) +MSI Z87-GD65($154.99) = $370.09
IP: Logged
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post03-23-2014 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aceman:

Microcenter i7 4770 ($269.99) + MSI Z87-GD65($154.99)= $455.92 with tax

The i5 4670($189.99) +MSI Z87-GD65($154.99) = $370.09

Them's good prices!

Fiero_Fan_88

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_Fan_88Send a Private Message to Fiero_Fan_88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Them's good prices!

Right but a i7 would break budget and what are you going to use it for?
If the heaviest load your going ot put on it is gaming, is the $100 worth a few frames in certain applications?

http://www.ocaholic.ch/modu...item.php?itemid=1061
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-23-2014 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero_Fan_88:

Right but a i7 would break budget and what are you going to use it for?
If the heaviest load your going ot put on it is gaming, is the $100 worth a few frames in certain applications?

http://www.ocaholic.ch/modu...item.php?itemid=1061

No, I'm pretty set on the i5.
For the performance you can get out of it, the price is great!

And I could always bump up to the i7 later if need be.
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aceman:

Boonie,

If you aren't looking at putting this on a credit card, look at the Microcenter deals and I can pick it up and ship it to you with the bottles of mead I'm sending. Even with paying sales tax, Microcenter is cheaper on all the cpus listed in this thread and the motherboard combos can work out to a pretty good deal.

+1. I built a new system last year, and bought all of my components from Microcenter. I found the Intel I7 3770K about a hundred bucks cheaper at Microcenter than anywhere else...the problem was, it was in-store only. Luckily, my wife was working in Overland Park, KS, and they just happened to have a store there. She picked it up for me, and brought it back on one of her trips home. I went down there twice while she was there, and bought everything from Microcenter over my two visits...cheaper than Newegg, Tiger Direct, etc. I highly recommend them. I'm running a Gigabyte MB, and have been extremely happy with it.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-24-2014 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I noticed no one mentioned AMD processors (nor EVGA motherboards).
Is AMD lagging behind these days?
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've built a few AMD based systems in the last 2 years or so and I wasn't impressed with them. Granted, I wasn't using Black Edition processors, so OCing wasn't really feasible. From what I've seen in the various systems I've built, Intel CPU's are far more capable than AMD, at least within the last 2 generations. I've also read in the last 6 months or so that the latest (leaked, so it's legitimacy could be questionable) AMD roadmap has them greatly reducing their presence in the desktop x86 market. That possibility has been bolstered by the amount of money they've thrown at R&D for the ARM mobile architectures. Until AMD makes a definitive move in one direction or the other I don't think I'd be pigeon-holing myself into an AMD based system.

Something else to posit: AMD CPU/APU 's don't officially support PCI-e 3.0 tech, so you'll be limited in your Gfx expansion. ASUS has done some funny architecture with one of their system boards to take 4 PCIe 2.0 slots and get 1 PCIe slot up to 3.0 speeds, but it's not technically a 3.0 slot.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-24-2014 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rallaster:

Something else to posit: AMD CPU/APU 's don't officially support PCI-e 3.0 tech, so you'll be limited in your Gfx expansion...

And that ain't good.
No worries, I like Intel.

I'm pretty set on the Intel Haswell i5-4670k processor, but I'm having a really hard time deciding on a motherboard...
I SO like the looks & layout of the Asus Sabertooth:

What do we think of the ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer?
The layout is good & the price is right at $109.99 after a $20.00 rebate.:

As opposed to this MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming, which is $157.99 after $10.00 rebate.:

What is the difference between the 2?

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 03-24-2014).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-24-2014 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003

loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't discount the last gen i7 and i5 chips either! After seeing the crazy heat output of the Haswell processors, and somewhat limited overclocking results compared to the Sandy Bridge E and Ivy Bridge chips I chose to go the Sandy Bridge E route for my last build. A big part of the increased power consumption / heat increase with the new Haswell chips is due to the more powerful integrated GPU, something that will be wasted as you already have your SLI video cards. Clock for clock, you are looking at about 10-15% best case scenario with Haswell vs. Sandy Bridge E / Ivy Bridge. As such, I would not hesitate at all to check through the classifieds for other users who are selling their old 2600k / 3770k systems. Still lots of life in these processors, and they run cooler, overclock better, and can be found for sub $200 prices.
Fiero_Fan_88

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_Fan_88Send a Private Message to Fiero_Fan_88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rallaster:

I've built a few AMD based systems in the last 2 years or so and I wasn't impressed with them. Granted, I wasn't using Black Edition processors, so OCing wasn't really feasible. From what I've seen in the various systems I've built, Intel CPU's are far more capable than AMD, at least within the last 2 generations. I've also read in the last 6 months or so that the latest (leaked, so it's legitimacy could be questionable) AMD roadmap has them greatly reducing their presence in the desktop x86 market. That possibility has been bolstered by the amount of money they've thrown at R&D for the ARM mobile architectures. Until AMD makes a definitive move in one direction or the other I don't think I'd be pigeon-holing myself into an AMD based system.

Something else to posit: AMD CPU/APU 's don't officially support PCI-e 3.0 tech, so you'll be limited in your Gfx expansion. ASUS has done some funny architecture with one of their system boards to take 4 PCIe 2.0 slots and get 1 PCIe slot up to 3.0 speeds, but it's not technically a 3.0 slot.

I've done a couple AMD builds and to be honest bleed a little more red than green or blue. While I agree that Intel chips are more advance, AMD isn't really lacking behind as much as people make it seem in real world use. If you are interested in AMD, I recommended the FX-8320. Just a down clocked 8350 that once overclocked the difference is moot. The cool thing AMD is pushing right now is Mantle which will help a lot with their older FX chips but your running Nvidia cards so that won't really apply to you. Even though AMD boards don't have 3.0 PCI-e, it really isn't a killer.

http://www.techpowerup.com/...ress_Scaling/23.html

As far as Haswell running hot, known issue that is easily fixed removing the heat sink and applying your own paste.

FX v Haswell in gaming

As far as rendering the FX8350 and i53570K are on par with each other.

I know I've asked earlier in the thread but, What are you going to do?
PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-24-2014 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero_Fan_88:

I know I've asked earlier in the thread but, What are you going to do?

Surf pron in 1080p...

Medium-to-highend gaming.
Multitasking (streaming downloads while gaming, listening to music, watching a movie and surfing the net all at the same time)

A medium-high system.
Ideally with nothing I don't need, like a fast cool processor but with no video imbedded, a good-looking motherboard with just USB & Ethernet, (no sound, no video out, etc.), and fast memory.
Including shipping my budget is $600 FIRM.

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-24-2014 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003
I like this board too:

ASUS Maximus VI Hero:
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IIRC, ASRock is the Asus budget brand. They're alright in my book. MSI, Gigabyte, and EVGA are also good brands.

I was considering suggesting an AMD based setup, but figured you were pretty set on an Intel chip. Plus, Intel does have the edge in performance... although you do pay for it.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-24-2014 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Newegg has 5 of the above boards (ASUS Maximus VI Hero) "open box" for $149.99...that's like $50 bucks off.
But "open box"...

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Open box usually means it's missing stuff (user manual, driver disc, accessories, etc). I wouldn't do it, not for a mainboard. But it's your call.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-24-2014 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Open box usually means it's missing stuff (user manual, driver disc, accessories, etc). I wouldn't do it, not for a mainboard. But it's your call.

I never need that stuff.
Just the i/o shield.
What always concerns me more is who did what to the board itself...

That's enough to put me off the deal.

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From what I've been told, it's common for the I/O shield to be missing, too. Last time I read Newegg's open box policy, it basically said you should expect everything but the mainboard to be missing, and if anything does get included it's a bonus. Just FYI.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-25-2014 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm starting to settle on a build.
Store or prices are not set in stone, but this is the rough draft:

The CPU:

The Cooler:

The Board:

The Memory:

I went with overkill on the cooler for overclocking and future upgrade to the i7 4770k.
I also went with plenty of headroom on the memory for the same reason.
Start at 1600MHz and then upscale (2400MHz) later for the i7 4770k.

Anyone see any problems with this setup?
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think that girl may need that heatsink, cuz she's probably pretty hot.

Oh, you mean computer stuff...

Your list looks good to me. Although, if you want the best CPU cooling for your buck, there are some heatsinks that out-perform that CM unit, and at a similar or lesser price. The Noctua NH-U14S is the current "king of the hill", and is in the $70-75 price range. The Scythe Ashura is almost as good as the Noctua, but can be had for around $55. That CM unit should work fine, though.

You're gonna post pics of this beast when you get it assembled, yes?

Oh, BTW I snagged one of THESE off eBay. The processor should be here tomorrow.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 03-27-2014).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-27-2014 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Oh, BTW I snagged one of THESE off eBay.

PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay