Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Radio Shack: "The 80s called. They want their store back." (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Radio Shack: "The 80s called. They want their store back." by Raydar
Started on: 02-04-2014 04:08 AM
Replies: 55 (1369 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 09-15-2014 01:18 PM
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 04:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WTH does that mean?

Are they going back to the old business model, geared toward hobbyists? (Riiiight.)
Are they actually going to sell decent stereo equipment and computers? Computer parts?

Are they going to "upgrade" and become even more like every other cell phone store in the country?

Time will tell, I suppose.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 04:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love the music!

Loverboy... a great Vancouver band from the 80's.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-04-2014).]

rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used to spend $1000 @ month buying parts to make and install custom stuff. Now RS is a cellphone and IPod store. I went in yesterday to get some pigtails with the clips that fit 9 volt batteries. The guy there didnt have any idea what I was talking about. He first took me over to a wall rack of transformers/adapters and said I should find a 9 volt one there. I did eventually find them in a drawer under a display.
dsnover

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dsnoverSend a Private Message to dsnoverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I actually thought it was one of the better commercials. Certainly brought back a lot of (old) personalities (and memories).

I do miss the wonderful 'Science Fair' electronic project kits they used to sell to teach circuit fundamentals and such. Wish I still had mine from the late 70's...I think it was the 150 in 1 project kit, and I did all of them...it really taught me about electronics at a time when that kind of stuff wasn't really taught in school.

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post02-04-2014 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
some of that stuff I'd like to see again.......but.....um......the 80's can keep its Timex Sinclair computer
fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Everyone in the first video are old relics. Maybe Radio Shack is going to start selling antiques for your shack. Next comes a name change. Redux Shack.
lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
radio shack is the only "electronics" store in town, and competes with wally world. i make it a point to shop there and know most of the people. a couple of them actually know their stuff. yes, theyre mostly cell phones, but they do have a selection of electronics parts, switches, ICs, fans, circuit boards, arduino, etc. it's vastly improved from what it was 10 years ago. no, they don't stock computers or parts.

and i have 3 timex sinclairs in a box, with a shoebox full of manuals and software. databases, flight simulator, RPGs, you name it. the ts1000 was a good little machine crippled by shoddy graphics and poor storage. it was a hobbyist's machine, not a business machine. i wired up a real keyboard, converted a joystick and made an 8255-based I/O controller. its 8kram taught me to write tight, clean, compact code, which appears to be a lost art.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post02-04-2014 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lurker:

radio shack is the only "electronics" store in town, and competes with wally world. i make it a point to shop there and know most of the people. a couple of them actually know their stuff. yes, theyre mostly cell phones, but they do have a selection of electronics parts, switches, ICs, fans, circuit boards, arduino, etc. it's vastly improved from what it was 10 years ago. no, they don't stock computers or parts.

and i have 3 timex sinclairs in a box, with a shoebox full of manuals and software. databases, flight simulator, RPGs, you name it. the ts1000 was a good little machine crippled by shoddy graphics and poor storage. it was a hobbyist's machine, not a business machine. i wired up a real keyboard, converted a joystick and made an 8255-based I/O controller. its 8kram taught me to write tight, clean, compact code, which appears to be a lost art.

That certainly took me back, thanx!

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-04-2014 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lurker:

LOL, Lurker. I have 4 or 5 of them plus all the goodies (couple 16k ram packs, old B/W tv, cassete recorders, software tapes) in storage up in the rafters at Dad's place. They been there since the early 90's. At one time I wired a C64 keyboard into one of them. Its still up there too----as well as my old Coleco Adam.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
only last few seconds of ad matters...
The point is RS going to strip/gut old stores then put in new fixtures etc.

Likely means RS is going to be MORE Cell phone and tablet store, maybe TV, and LESS for projects, audio, etc.

Maybe partly result of RS share price... $2-3.00 for most of last 18 months.
The cost for this is not cheap... Will likely close more stores too.
The Long-Term Costs of the RadioShack Super Bowl Ad 24/7 Wall St.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

WTH does that mean?

If you saw the ad, it means it's time to update the store and bring it into the 21st century.
PFF
System Bot
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They've been basically doing that for the past few months- totally sellin' off all their "old-schooly" stuff, and gutting the stores.
I stumbled across this by accident, I went into there with my son, to see if there were any little kits to get, and everything was 85-99% off. I bought soooooo much stuff!. stuff that was 40 bucks was under 4 bucks!
All the little soldering kits, the kid's kits...solar kits...it'll keep us busy for years!

But now, the stores are awful to walk through.

Headphones.
Earbuds.
Phones.
Phone accessories.
Some RC toys.
Fitness wearables.
Some computer stuff.
The larger stores have some other stuff in cabinets.

I've ranted about this before, Radio Shack might never have actually been "good", but in my head as a kid, I could jump on my bike, go in there and buy stuff, and build almost ANYTHING.

Now, so much of that last sentence just couldn't even happen anymore.

I know, they have 3D printers and lots of 'cool' stuff, it's just that you can now find that stuff in so many other places... it's like watching some of the older BOND movies...

But the commercials and characters were great....

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 02-04-2014).]

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tandy computers is not coming back?
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will they bring back the Armatron?
Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I miss my Tandy Sensation! It was my first "PC" as I ventured over from the Amiga/Commodore world.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-04-2014 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

They've been basically doing that for the past few months- totally sellin' off all their "old-schooly" stuff, and gutting the stores.
I stumbled across this by accident, I went into there with my son, to see if there were any little kits to get, and everything was 85-99% off. I bought soooooo much stuff!. stuff that was 40 bucks was under 4 bucks!
All the little soldering kits, the kid's kits...solar kits...it'll keep us busy for years!

But now, the stores are awful to walk through.

Headphones.
Earbuds.
Phones.
Phone accessories.
Some RC toys.
Fitness wearables.
Some computer stuff.
The larger stores have some other stuff in cabinets.

I've ranted about this before, Radio Shack might never have actually been "good", but in my head as a kid, I could jump on my bike, go in there and buy stuff, and build almost ANYTHING.

Now, so much of that last sentence just couldn't even happen anymore.

I know, they have 3D printers and lots of 'cool' stuff, it's just that you can now find that stuff in so many other places... it's like watching some of the older BOND movies...

But the commercials and characters were great....

Up here they are called "The Source" (owned by best buy IIRC) and did the same thing 4-5 years ago, getting out of the R/C toys and more into the phones/ laptops ect. I was scorring zip-zaps for 2-3 bucks and body/ tire kits for 50 cents. LOL, still got a collection of them in a shoe box. Micro R/C helicopters were going under 5 bucks--but I managed to wreck most of them.

dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RotrexFiero:

Will they bring back the Armatron?

I bought one of those at a garage sale last year for $5. Did I pay too much?
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fformula88:

I miss my Tandy Sensation! It was my first "PC" as I ventured over from the Amiga/Commodore world.

I worked at Radio Shack when those were in the store. Sold quite a few of them to. For the time they were rather nice.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

No way, that's a great price!
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

only last few seconds of ad matters...
The point is RS going to strip/gut old stores then put in new fixtures etc.

Likely means RS is going to be MORE Cell phone and tablet store, maybe TV, and LESS for projects, audio, etc.

Great... Even less reason to go there.

At least Jameco is only a click away.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We used to have a RS warehouse here. It was full of cut price returns, damaged and discontinued stuff. It was a gold mine. I spent hours just walking thru the isles seeing what they had I could use....even before I had a project in mind.
PFF
System Bot
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IMHO, their best bet is to embrace the Maker movement, retrain employees, require them like Apple to complete so many education hours via an intranet education site. Make them prove their "knowledge" and reward them when these steps are being completed. I love the effort, I'd even take a management job to help transition the rebranding. But the only way it will work is if the head's believe and can get the parts on board. They should be offering quality electronics, once proven, ask Apple for a sit down.

I embraced the internet and internet shopping early on. But as B.J. said “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” I have received so many items from the web only to find out it's not what I had hoped. There's something to be said about going to a physical store and using the product before purchase. Whether they survive and this works, you will see a lot of retail shift back to physical stores but in a more compact way. Sears is headed this way, guess what they started out as, a catalog store with a few of the items on display. All of these retailers need to eliminate the bloat and get back to basics, the 80's/Regan era capitalistic economy are over....
bomluuk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:
Will likely close more stores too

Ogre called it. Just saw this today:
RadioShack to close about 500 stores

TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do my HP 1000 handhelds that run DOS count?
maryjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Need to change the name while they're at it.
Other than maybe a walkie talkie, can you even still buy a radio or any of one's components at Radio Shack?
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dsnover:

I do miss the wonderful 'Science Fair' electronic project kits they used to sell to teach circuit fundamentals and such.

Reminds me of Heathkit. Great stuff, there. Even if "new" technology made the projects relatively expensive (for those that don't know, you could build most of their projects for less than a comparable store purchased product), they were still a blast to build, even if it was something you didn't need. (Honestly, who really "needed" a stand alone TV tuner without a box?) I had a few of the kits including some of the 6 in 1, 20 in 1 and/or 150 in 1 electronics kits. I had fun for little money.

DanDamage

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanDamageSend a Private Message to DanDamageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last thing I bought at RS. Kids wore it slap out.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool commercial, but the message made me cringe. Most likely getting rid of all the tools and components (the only reason I go there) and turning it into just a cel phone store.

If they DO keep the hobbiest stuff, I hope they finally train their employees on the basics at least. They usually ask ME questions when I go in there.
dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like maryjane said. Name change. radio store? nope! Shack? Well that sound pretty classy.
dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dratts

8373 posts
Member since Apr 2001

Originally posted by maryjane:

That guys needs to practice a bit before making a video. We've all watched excavator operators where it looks like an extension of their body.
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I remember right, it wasn't all that capable of carrying out simultaneous multiple inputs. Kindy jerky if you tried to get it to do too many things at once--kinda like my old 70s something backhoe.
cmechmann

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Should have been. The customers called, they want the 80s back
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cmechmann:

Should have been. The customers called, they want the 80s back

Well said.
Uaana

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd like to like them, but Microcenter is 4 miles away.

I remember the same thing kinda with Musicland..

Unless they can find a "Win" market for something.. (Right now they're competing against 10 kiosks in the malls) They're as dead as Blockbuster, BestBuy in the next couple of years.

Sorry, the hobby market has been taken over by small independent stores that cater, RS at it current size is just not workable as anything other as a Cell shop, that also sells toys. The closing of 400 outlets is a good sign they're just circling the wagons.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If they want to be relevant, they should go into home built robotics and smart phone controlled RCs.

[This message has been edited by Boostdreamer (edited 02-04-2014).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2014 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Hahah, that was awesome.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2014 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure how they even could stay relevant. World's shifted, everyone's a geek, and there are so many (dare I say it) better ways to get EVERYTHING than to go to a store.

lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2014 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:
Not sure how they even could stay relevant. World's shifted, everyone's a geek, and there are so many (dare I say it) better ways to get EVERYTHING than to go to a store.

specifications aren't everything. some of us want to see and feel a thing before we buy. and no, not everyone's a geek. most people like their consumer electronics but have no clue how they work. if everyone was a geek, RS could go back to selling integrated circuits and prosper.
i agree, they're struggling to find their market niche, but brick and mortar stores aren't going away anytime soon.
dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2014 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

I just went back and looked at it. Still in the box with instructions and everything. I was wrong on the price. sticker on the box is $1. How can I get my login to stay? I didn't used to have to log in everytime I post.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock