Replies: 103 (12564 views)
Last post by: Spoon on 12-01-2017 09:17 PM
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 698
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 06:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In case you were wondering where your favorites are, they are no longer displayed at the top when you visit a forum section. They have been moved to a new feature of PFF: "My PFF".

If you visit a forum section, you will notice a small bar at the left of your screen:

Clicking this will open the "My PFF Sidebar". The "My PFF Sidebar" contains all your favorites, the last 40 threads you posted in, and a "Friends List" (new, more on this later):

You can hide the sidebar again either by clicking on the "X" button in the top right, or clicking the small bar again.

To expand a list, simply click on the "plus" sign:

The "My Recent Posts" list contains the last 40 threads you posted in. You can go directly to a thread by clicking on the subject. To view more information about a thread in your list, click the plus sign next to the subject:

To remove a thread from your favorites list, click "Remove". You cannot remove a thread from your recents list.

The "My Friends" list is new to PFF. You can add members to this list so you can easily send them email or PM's. To add a member to your Friends List, click on the "Profile" button of a member inside a post:

In the window that appears, click the "Friends List" link:

This member will now appear in your Friends List (a reload of the page might be necessary for it to show).

To view profile information of a member on your Friends List, click the username. To send an email, click the email address (the email address will not show if this particular member has chosen to hide his email address from other members). To remove this member from your Friends List, or to send this member a PM, click the appropriate option next to "Options":

In short, that's what "My PFF" is all about. I will probably add some more cool stuff to the "My PFF Sidebar" in the future.

EFAQ (Expected Frequently Asked Questions)
Q: The sidebar looks like crap on my screen! It messes up my screen! I can't get rid of it! What have you done?
A: My PFF relies heavily on a 100% DOM-compatible browser. I've tested it on IE 5.x, IE 6.x, Mozilla and Firefox. I haven't tested it on Opera or any other browser. I also haven't tested it on a Mac. I will probably create a setting in your profile where you can completely disable My PFF if it messes up your screen.

Also, My PFF looks best on resolutions of 1024x768 and higher.

Q: I don't see a small bar on the left. What bar are you talking about?
A: My PFF is only available for registered members. And you need to be logged in to see it. Also, for now the sidebar is only visible in a forum section. So not on the forum's main page, and not inside a thread itself.

Q: My favorites list is way too long. I need to scroll for ages to reach my Friends List. Can you fix that?
A: First of all, your favorites list now list all favorites, not only the ones from the forum section you are visiting. Second, If your list is too long, try to make it shorter (duh). Do you really need to have the "Gwen Stefani" thread in your favorites?

Q: I only see the last 40 recent posts? I've posted in more threads than that in the last hour!
A: I've taken some arbitrary number. 40 seemed reasonable. If you want me to make that number higher, please let me know.

That's it. Any questions or remarks, please put them in this thread.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 06:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Follow up: I just noticed a small bug under Win98 causing the sidebar to not show up. I'm looking into it right now (have been testing in XP only so far).

Edit: it's not a bug but a caching problem. If the sidebar doesn't show up, a [CTRL]-Reload/Refresh (or [SHIFT]-Reload/Refresh) might do the trick.

hugh

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 06:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hughSend a Private Message to hughEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the work to make this the best place on the web!
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome! Thanks Cliff, you always amaze me. Keep up the good work.

------------------

84 Sport Coupe
87 GT 5 Spd

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, I like that.

Cliff, if you & I weren't already the same person, I'd wanna' grow up to be just like you.

Archie

Musmaro13

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Musmaro13Click Here to visit Musmaro13's HomePageSend a Private Message to Musmaro13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweetness, I have hoped for something like this for awhile now.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

Cliff, if you & I weren't already the same person, I'd wanna' grow up to be just like you.

But if we were one and the same person, we'd also need to seek professional help. Talking to yourself on an internet forum isn't healthy.

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was runnign xp - and couldn't figure out why my favorites disapeared and why i couldn't add anything to the fav's then found this thread and had to refrehs a few times before the sidebar would show up.. looks great though - love the recent posts section

hmm I can't seem to remove anything from my favorites

[This message has been edited by Kohburn (edited 04-13-2005).]

ohioindy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohioindyClick Here to visit ohioindy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohioindyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice wok Cliff
That’s what I like about this place…always something new.
Thanks

------------------

85 SE (My first love)
84 Indy 4 Speed
84 Indy Auto 44,000 miles

dguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice! The page takes a while to reload here every time I show or hide the sidebar (IE's status bar claims 200 or so items to download!), but really... how many times does one need to show/hide the bar in one sitting anyway?

Haven't yet tried it via dial-up from home though. That might be interesting.

Above & beyond, Cliff. Above & beyond.

[This message has been edited by dguy (edited 04-13-2005).]

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

But if we were one and the same person, we'd also need to seek professional help. Talking to yourself on an internet forum isn't healthy.

Denial is the first stage to recovery. GO CLIFF/Archie

oh yeah, My PFF is a great idea.

PFF
System Bot
vlatus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vlatusSend a Private Message to vlatusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff,

I like the new sidebar, but there is one thing I liked about the old style favorites. I liked that you didn't have to click on them to see if there were more replies; the number was right there. Is there any way to make them look different in My PFF if there has been a new post? Maybe this is built-in already and I just haven't seen it yet. The My Recent Posts and My Friends look great!

Thanks,

Vin

Uh Oh, just went back to the page and the sidebar is gone completely.

[This message has been edited by vlatus (edited 04-13-2005).]

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff thats friggin awesome!!! Now i can keep track of all the posts i recently made... woo hoo. Although... i may have been able to do that before... but... never... noticed... it?

Anyway... sweet... give ya props!! Always got somthin new and cool!!!

Q: My favorites list is way too long. I need to scroll for ages to reach my Friends List. Can you fix that?
A: First of all, your favorites list now list all favorites, not only the ones from the forum section you are visiting. Second, If your list is too long, try to make it shorter (duh). Do you really need to have the "Gwen Stefani" thread in your favorites?

I guess it COULD be worse Cliff... he could have ALL of the VARIOUS "hey Fiero Lisa" threads in there that had been posted through the years!!

------------------
[b]"Raced That, Wrecked Better" ~In Memory Of Jesse Cesek~ 1980-2000
US Armored Cavalry - Fox 2/81 - Death By 120 - 1 Shot 1 Kill

[This message has been edited by The Fieromaster (edited 04-13-2005).]

DotTC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DotTCClick Here to visit DotTC's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotTCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oddly enough I found it without seeing this thread first. I looked at the top of the forum i was all like "Ok, where did my favorites go" then I saw the little odd things on the side and I was all like. "OHHHHHH, Goid one Cliff Dude"

Good one

------------------
1988 Aero 88 coupe.. 2.8l v6.. more mods to come.
FieroNews.com - Photo Gallery - Fiero Links
I am the signature virus, please put me in your signature so I can spread

Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another cool feature Cliff! Thanks for the continual updates and additional stuff to improve the forum! Great work!
naskie18

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 194
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice addition Cliff!

I particularly like the Recent posts part.

Thanks for all the work you put into keeping this place great!!!!!!!

------------------
Nick www.naskie18.com AIM: Naskie182010

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

But it keeps them thinking that there are 2 of us.

ArCliff

TM_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TM_FieroSend a Private Message to TM_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't know why, but it doesn't work very well with my Firefox version 1.0.2

I can't see the sidebar, but if I blindly click, it will expand out. When it does open the font is large and favorites are expanded everything is in a crazy blue color that I can't read. I also can't see the bar at the top with the little X close box. It works great with IE, but I don't use IE very much anymore. Maybe it's a setting I need to change, either way I like it on IE, not so well with Firefox. Also, I really liked how it was before when going into the individual forums seeing instantly when something new was posted in a thread I was watching. Now it doesn't seem quite as convenient. Just some constructive criticism.

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TM_Fiero:

Don't know why, but it doesn't work very well with my Firefox version 1.0.2

You probably need to [SHIFT]-Reload the page (hold down the SHIFT key while clicking on the Reload button).

TM_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TM_FieroSend a Private Message to TM_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You probably need to [SHIFT]-Reload the page (hold down the SHIFT key while clicking on the Reload button).

That did it. Thanks

LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just noticed this.. I was like why on earth does the very left have something there double clicked and boom was going to post a pic on GFC

cool stuff!

I like how you can view the threads you didn't add, but posted on

------------------
http://formula.cryptnix.com

[This message has been edited by LoW_KeY (edited 04-13-2005).]

PFF
System Bot
mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very Cool Cliff...

I was just going to make a post here on where did my favorites go?

--Allen

------------------

webbee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for webbeeSend a Private Message to webbeeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Really nice feature!
Good work Cliff!
I would like to see it expanded to the reply/post topic page, as it would be useful to be able to reference the list while posting.
CTFieroGT87

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTFieroGT87Send a Private Message to CTFieroGT87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats so cool, thanks Cliff!
fierobear

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Coooooool.

Nice, Cliff, thanks.

eatoninside

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2005 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for eatoninsideSend a Private Message to eatoninsideEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A: My PFF relies heavily on a 100% DOM-compatible browser. I've tested it on IE 5.x, IE 6.x, Mozilla and Firefox. I haven't tested it on Opera or any other browser. I also haven't tested it on a Mac. I will probably create a setting in your profile where you can completely disable My PFF if it messes up your screen.

I'm running a Mac-n-trash using Safari as my browser. I can see the little bar like this:

But it won't expand like this:

I like the idea though! Especially the last 20 posts.

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2005 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
anyone else have a problem removing a favorite?
WingNut - MD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2005 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff,

Very nice addition / change to the forum.

Thank you for all that you do for!

Fierochic88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2005 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome will have to check it out! Thanks again Cliff!

Jen

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2005 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice update to the Forum's feel.
LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2005 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by vlatus:
I like the new sidebar, but there is one thing I liked about the old style favorites. I liked that you didn't have to click on them to see if there were more replies; the number was right there. Is there any way to make them look different in My PFF if there has been a new post?

I agree - one of the things I liked about the Favorites at the top of the page was the 'New Reply' icon - made it much easier to keep track of the active conversations going on.

Any way to add the icon back in to the thread listing?

Thanks for what you're doing, Cliff.

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com
1988 Red Fiero Formula Convertible

PFF
System Bot
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2005 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mr. Cliffbot 2.0 -

Would it be possible to add a link to the bottom of every thread, so you can add that thread to your favorites? That's the only problem I have, is when I find a thread using the search, I can't "favorites" it unless I reply to it, and bring it all the way back to the top.

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2005 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I'll make something so you can easily view if there are new posts to a thread, and an easier way to add a thread to your favorites (from inside the thread itself).
ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2005 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mac here. no problems! great stuff.

i am using firefox. safari did a real nosedive a while back with some bugs. i wouldnt suggest using it anymore. then again, maybe it has been updated?

("windows" is a cheap, pirated copy of the mac)

LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2005 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok, I'll make something so you can easily view if there are new posts to a thread, and an easier way to add a thread to your favorites (from inside the thread itself).

Thanks, Cliff... very much appreciated.

stalen88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2005 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stalen88GTSend a Private Message to stalen88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff,

Great forum and thank you for all the time and effort you have put into it

As this is a feedback thread for your excellent upgrade/improvement there are two things that I just tried to do but was unable to. 1. is there any way you can make the "My PFF" section adjustable, so that a person can decrease or increase the width of the new feature while keeping it open?

2. Is it possible to move a thread in "recent posts" to "personal favorites" or to any other expandable folder in "My PFF"? Example: In Windows favorites an individual can "left" click on the mouse and hold the button down and move that particular "favorite" book mark to a new folder or location.

------------------
Make it FAST or don't make it :)

LITTLE RED BOMB..................Someday it will be mine
www.velocityaircraft.com

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2005 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by stalen88GT:

1. is there any way you can make the "My PFF" section adjustable, so that a person can decrease or increase the width of the new feature while keeping it open?

That was my original plan, but I'm not sure it can be done (easily). I'll have to look into that.

2. Is it possible to move a thread in "recent posts" to "personal favorites" or to any other expandable folder in "My PFF"? Example: In Windows favorites an individual can "left" click on the mouse and hold the button down and move that particular "favorite" book mark to a new folder or location.

I will do some tweaking of the "My PFF" sidebar. One of the tweaks will probably be that you can easily move a thread from "Recents" to "Favorites".

gt88norm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2005 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gt88normSend a Private Message to gt88normEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It doesn't work in the 'Safari' browser, too bad .... I still refuse to go 'PC'.
It does work in 'Int. Exp. 5.2' browser, but I don't like that one.
It shows up w/out being asked after log-in, and can't function or be put away using an old version of 'Omniweb'.
I don't even keep a copy of 'Netscape' any more.

Norm

[This message has been edited by gt88norm (edited 04-17-2005).]

TG oreiF 8891

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2005 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TG oreiF 8891Send a Private Message to TG oreiF 8891Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First off, great work.
Can the new sidebar be accessible on the main page? Sorry if this was already said, I admit I didn't read all the posts.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by stalen88GT:

Cliff,

Great forum and thank you for all the time and effort you have put into it

is there any way you can make the "My PFF" section adjustable, so that a person can decrease or increase the width of the new feature while keeping it open?

Thanks for all your hard work Cliff,

But I had the same comment, I really would like to adjust the width of that column so I can better control my viewing experience. And I agree with the other comments about being able to quickly see if there has been any posts to the favorites would be nice.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock