Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Announcements
  Important information about images! (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Important information about images! by Cliff Pennock
Started on: 09-17-2003 07:27 PM
Replies: 70 (126 views)
Last post by: MsBeth on 09-28-2003 12:17 PM
pred1tor83

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2003 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pred1tor83Send a Private Message to pred1tor83Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
but your pics are cooL!
IP: Logged
Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2003 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well Bandwidth costs money lots of money. I will continue to post pics from my own server. I am sending cliff 7.50 per month US Funds to help out keep the forum up and running. I dont want to see Pics go away, it would just be best that the people that have the ability to post pics remotly to do it at least for a short time.

------------------
85GT 2.9 4spd MSD Everything, Big Cam, No Cat and Nitrous. Nawzz babeee!!!!
http://www.captfiero.com

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2003 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

Well Bandwidth costs money lots of money. I will continue to post pics from my own server. I am sending cliff 7.50 per month US Funds to help out keep the forum up and running. I dont want to see Pics go away, it would just be best that the people that have the ability to post pics remotly to do it at least for a short time.

We join you...... my webmaster Mike Orme just finished helping me write a new profile for PIP to point to my own server.

hope this helps

Archie

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2003 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think everyone of us can help by either hosting our own sig or not putting a pic in it...

The downside of course is that the PFF on CD will not contain all the cool images it use to. [insert sad face]

------------------
If you find my advice useful, then please give me a positive rating, thanks...

1988 GT (Firebird Interior)
1988 Coupe (Daily Driver),
1985 SE (Project Car) Recent Addition
1985 Coupe (parts car)
Firebird Interior Installation Website

jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2003 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
does money buy more bandwidth?
I spend time on here every day and have for about three years now--I know I would not be opposed to paying $12dollars a year for this privelage. Several thousand members times $1 dollar a month equals several tousand dollars to Mr Pennock.
The pics have been invaluable sometimes at helping with tech problems or giving new ideas and inspiration. I would hate to see them go!
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2003 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whooo Hooo. I just PIP'd my own webserver. Now I can post big honking pics at no bandwidth costs to Cliff!!

<<image removed to save from scrolling>>

------------------
If you find my advice useful, then please give me a positive rating, thanks...

1988 GT (Firebird Interior)
1988 Coupe (Daily Driver),
1985 SE (Project Car) Recent Addition
1985 Coupe (parts car)
Firebird Interior Installation Website

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 09-19-2003).]

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 09-19-2003).]

Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2003 03:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff, did you get my PM regarding the sig pics? IF not...

If you are facing astronomical costs for bandwidth because of the PIPs and PFF's hosting of pics, I think you should get rid of them altogether. 99% of the IP providers out there today offer free web space / file locker per email address that you can upload images into and they are accessible via image links from other sites such as message boards. Cheaper for you, easier for me to just upload the pictures to my web box and then just link to them in the thread on PFF.

------------------
1987 Fiero Coupe 3800 Series II Intercooled Turbo (12.79et @ 106.6mph)
1987 Trans Am GTA 5.7L Superram 4L60-E (13.1et @ 109mph)
1985 Fiero SE 2.8 (soon to have an L36)

Fiero-related Conversions Performed:
1985 SE 3800 Series 1 SC 4T60-E
1987 Coupe 3800 Series II Turbocharged 4T60-E
1987 SE 3.4 TDC 5-speed
1984 Coupe SBC V8 non-OD to 4T60 OD swap, electric power steering install
1985 SE 3800 Series II Supercharged 4T60-E

http://dtcc.cz28.com

bryson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2003 06:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for brysonSend a Private Message to brysonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, I don't know if it would work, but what if everyone got a geocities account. There is a limited size to how much you can upload, but its free and there's no reason you cant have accounts like "bryson1" "bryson2" and so on. I don't know if this would work or not because I don't know a whole lot about computers, but if I could figure out how to use geocities as a server then I would in a heartbeat to keep this forum alive. The pictures really make the topics much easier to understand. "Over behind the drivers side under the plenum to the left of that black wire but on top of this sensor" is much more difficult than saying "right here [img] ... [img/] Anyway, I hope my idea, even if it won't work, might spur someone else to have a similar idea.
--Bryson

------------------
88 Fiero GT Quad4 Turbo...It has begun
88 VW GTI 16v ($300 driver/autox MACHINE!)
90 Olds Calais International H.O. (donor car)
88 Fiero Formula (parts car)

AndyLPhoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2003 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AndyLPhotoClick Here to visit AndyLPhoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to AndyLPhotoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bryson:

Hey, I don't know if it would work, but what if everyone got a geocities account

Geocities, and some other free services prohibit remote linking, which means you can view the pictures by navigating to a geocities page, but you can't link them here and have them pulled to show up in a thread.

However, posting them on *other* personal web space works just fine.

PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2003 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Whooo Hooo. I just PIP'd my own webserver. Now I can post big honking pics

Yeah..........the problem with that is now the rest of the crowd has to scale accross the screen ALL THE TIME to see the image and read the other posts which is a real PITA ...........so SCALE THEM DOWN........

and changing the resolution isn't an option, it's already so damn small you need a magnifying glass.

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2003 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PURPLE REIGN:

Yeah..........the problem with that is now the rest of the crowd has to scale accross the screen ALL THE TIME to see the image and read the other posts which is a real PITA ...........so SCALE THEM DOWN........

and changing the resolution isn't an option, it's already so damn small you need a magnifying glass.

Agreed! Even if you're off-site linking, please scale your photos down to 640x480 at the very largest... a little smaller would even be preferred!

PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2003 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, point taken, I removed my big honking pic, but it doesn't help when someone else does a quote and re-posts the same pic!!
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2003 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you replace the picture on your server with a new smaller one then all the pictures will update.
If they are still showing up the wrong size clear your cache.

Okay, point taken, I removed my big honking pic, but it doesn't help when someone else does a quote and re-posts the same pic!!

jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2003 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Cliff; what do you need man?
SplineZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2003 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SplineZClick Here to visit SplineZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to SplineZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What we should do is pitch to get a shell account with some service provider, and setup something like I have? http://splinez.ninjas.ca/album

phpix scales images, and automatically generates thumbnails, and is easily themeable

If anybody's got a college dorm hooked to their network.. could setup some sort of linux box there to do the hosting It'd be VERY easy to use an FTP program or even hack PIP to upload pictures seamlessly..

James Z

------------------

- 2.8v6, 5spd
- no cat, msd ignition/coil, K&N

Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2003 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in with hosting my own sig! I've been hosting all my other photographs anyway... Hope it helps...

------------------

Fiero-Performance.com - Coming Soon! New mods for your Fiero from Fiero Performance Bayern in Germany

Kris Duck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2003 02:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kris DuckSend a Private Message to Kris DuckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, Cliff, what would you ideally like?

My problem with hosting my pics locally is that if my server ever changes addresses or goes down, people won't get the awe-inspiring shots of my car anymore

(More importantly, I'd lose archived pics. I've noticed that several times when browsing through the archives...
"Here's the greatest pic of the greatest Fiero ever:" (big red X).

Anyway, if we host our own pics, is there a way to occasionally download the entire forum to burn to disc? I haven't sent for an Archive CD yet, but I plan on it soon.

Once again, three cheers for Cliff for creating such a great place for us to visit

Regards,

Kris
<sig pic on hiatus>

Dangerkitty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2003 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DangerkittySend a Private Message to DangerkittyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not a computer wiz so please dont flame me too bad for this maybe smart / dumb idea.
Look the bandwidth is being consumed by pictures.
We like to see that the pictures are located on the PIP/fiero forum server because they go on the CD.
The pictures hosted by outside servers or free picture servers come and go, people change accounts etc, these can be lost to us, 404, red X's ect.

Is there a way to automaticaly downsize the picture at the Fiero.nl server so that only a thumbnail shows up on the thread that you are reading? If you really need to see the larger picture you could click on it to see the larger size. Seems to me that it would save a ton of bandwidth.

Some web sites do this, is this a feasable idea?
Us "dial-up' users would just love the massive increase in speed. Just a dumb thought but would it work?

------------------
Dangerkitty "on the prowl"
Maroon 87 GT automatic, loaded, now with "sparkle wheels"

[This message has been edited by Dangerkitty (edited 09-20-2003).]

Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2003 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't mean to pick on Shaun here but i agree on this. In fact, i don't understand why people quote pics at all. When you quote someone just freaking edit the pic out! It takes about two seconds to do and would save a ton of banwidth. This happens day after day and multiple times in a single thread sometimes.
Seriously people, lets do some thinking here. I've noticed a lot of huge sigs too. Do you really need a sig that goes across the whole bottom of the screen??
What about animated sigs? I thought Cliff said no animated sigs or smileys but i notice them more and more. Yeah it's funny sometimes but you're draining off a valuable resource here from a guy that's giving it for free. I like to be able to post pics about events and articles like Tinas Car Craft appearence. Or pics for tech questions. A pic is worth a thousand words when answering a tech question. If everyone would be just a bit more conservative it would help and even a little bit would help some.
I'm not above this either. As i think back i know i've posted a bunch of pics in threads sometimes when 1 or 2 would have done fine. Time to tighten the belt a bit i think.

------------------

Activities Director N.I.F.E.

My7Fieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2003 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for My7FierosSend a Private Message to My7FierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not to mention some of us dont care about seeing pics of every new employee at Hooters or Britney pics. Enough of that sh1t already. I look at pics on the forum to see cool Fieros or Fiero related items.

[This message has been edited by My7Fieros (edited 09-20-2003).]

Gridlock

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 220
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2003 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GridlockSend a Private Message to GridlockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm seeing mention of the hooters pictures here, and to be fair, Roger doesn't post ANY pictures on the fiero server since Cliff asked him not too. All his pictures are hosted off-site.
PFF
System Bot
Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2003 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff I understand and I am grateful to be here even with no picture's...
Maybe this will keep people from asking for pic's of my Fiero... Just kidding Picture's of the final body design within 3 week's!!

Steve
SmoothGT!

------------------

SplineZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2003 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SplineZClick Here to visit SplineZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to SplineZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pictures that are displayed on the same page twice are only downloaded once.

I do not believe cliff has a problem with animated sigs, as long as they have a small file size.

Cliff does not HOST any animated smilies, so any that are on here are linked from another site. The only bandwidth used is the text used to link to the image.

Geocities accounts will work for a very limited time, they are transfer limited and will error when you go past the limit.

To resize thumbnails automaticaly, I posted somethign about that earlier. PHPix does it automaticaly, and you just link to the thumnail or to the smaller picture.

Cliff is using a module for apache called "mod_gzip", this compresses the webpages being sent out so that TEXT loads much much quicker. Simply because text is highly compressable. I do know that newer forum software carries this feature aswell.

dial up users will never see a massive increase in speed.. i mean.. C'mon you are on dialup 5.6kB/sec if all the planets are aligned, and if its a full moon. Do not have high expectations for a technology which is over 35 years old... computer years too!

pictures of hooter girls are linked remotely from another site, besides if you dont like it dont look at it?

Avitars are moving a problem from one place to another..

Loss of the PFF CD would be not good, but how about instead of having all of the drivel archived, just the pertanent stuff? I havent seen one of these CDs yet so i dont know if this is what is done or not..

And about imagestation. I have read their "Members Agreement" and i dont see anything in there forbiding remote linking. As long as it doesnt violate IP, or copywritten information, they could care less. the word "link" isnt even in their agreement.

Only allowing "contributing members" to post pictures would cut the ammount of people that post pictures in an 1/8th, and would reduce the useability of the site by doing so. Besides, it'd require upgrading forum software, or some major hacking of the code.

Purple Reign, That could get very costly very quick. You could however get some sort of "shell account" on a dedicated machine, and store images there. They will sometimes give ya upto 500megs for like 25 dollars a month. If you are willing to host images for users and such on your companies T1, it would probly get saturated pretty quick. T1's are only 1.5mbit/sec.. My cable modem can download faster than it could spit the data out.. a few of us could easily saturate it 10mbit/sec is almost the least you should look into. Ethernet access should be cheap depending on your location.

My apollogies for making this huge, I just hadda go over it and respond to most of the questions that needed an opinion

James Z

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2003 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, sorry for the "long time no hear". I missed a day due to a migraine attack (darn, first one in almost a year) and I'm trying to do some renovations around the house (need an extra room ).

Anyway, the images posted on the Fiero server take up about 50% of the total traffic. This is not all too strange if you consider almost 35,000 pictures were posted to my server in the past 9 months!

Now, I will keep those images on the server so old threads wil not have their pictures missing. I have disabled PIP for uploading to my server for now, but I see that a lot of people are offering space to post pictures to. That's great, it means you can still use pictures in your posts but my traffic will not skyrocket.

I'm looking at some alternatives right now, because I really like to offer PFF's members the whole package. There's even a small chance I can get the US image server up again. I mean, the server is sitting there doing nothing - waiting for a connection to the internet.

Anyway, I'll keep you updated. in the mean time, I would like to thank everybody for their help!

Roylmohr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2003 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RoylmohrSend a Private Message to RoylmohrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would have killed the sigs and the pics in the quotes to begin with. I agree that you have to do what you have to do though Cliff.
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2003 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure if this is true everyplace, but with my cable connection, it does come with 10 megs of space per email. I have found this is enough space to host my own pictures, if not I could always create another email account

So my question here is, why, if this web space is available to everyone, why do you not use it? You are paying for the space why not use it, plus it saves Cliff the traffic.

Sigs >> never really understood the whole purpose to these...but ti could just be me

Tim

Fiero5

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 367
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2003 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So then I would assume that the user name and password log in that pops up now on PIP doesn't really mean anything?

Steve

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2003 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im probably right behind ya Archie Im now using my own ISP to post pics since I guess it dont affect the forums running.
PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2003 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dave Gunsul:

I don't mean to pick on Shaun here but i agree on this. In fact, i don't understand why people quote pics at all. When you quote someone just freaking edit the pic out! It takes about two seconds to do and would save a ton of banwidth. This happens day after day and multiple times in a single thread sometimes.
Seriously people, lets do some thinking here. I've noticed a lot of huge sigs too. Do you really need a sig that goes across the whole bottom of the screen??
What about animated sigs? I thought Cliff said no animated sigs or smileys but i notice them more and more. Yeah it's funny sometimes but you're draining off a valuable resource here from a guy that's giving it for free. I like to be able to post pics about events and articles like Tinas Car Craft appearence. Or pics for tech questions. A pic is worth a thousand words when answering a tech question. If everyone would be just a bit more conservative it would help and even a little bit would help some.
I'm not above this either. As i think back i know i've posted a bunch of pics in threads sometimes when 1 or 2 would have done fine. Time to tighten the belt a bit i think.

Hey Dave.........I was merely making a point & being funny by quoting it, normally I would delete the image but that was my point..............Sooooo the other day when I microwaved my Jello...............yeah

84Bill

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post09-23-2003 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff, God bless you man. You have NEVER done us wrong (though some will argue) to date.
A picture can say 1000 words but there are not enough words of priase I can use to describe what you have cultivated here.

If it means I can't post a picture to a PFF server that is nothing compaired to NOT HAVING THIS FORUM!

I will do what I can for you and your forum.
Yes I did say your forum Cliff.

Thanks so much to all of those who "pay the rent" for all of us PFF members (and lurkers) to enjoy.

MsBeth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2003 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MsBethClick Here to visit MsBeth's HomePageSend a Private Message to MsBethEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I must say I have been enjoying the forum more these last weeks...no unneeded pics of Brittany or Hooter girls or half naked women laying on someones car - never saw how those things were relavent (sp?) to General Fiero Chat anyhow ... And the pics in OT are just becoming silly.

Thanks Cliff for making the Forum an even better place to visit.

As for sigs...as much as I enjoy seeing everyones cars (including mine) they are totally out of control...someones sig line is over 15 lines HIGH- with picture and written words...that is totally excessive.

Personally I've taken my sig tag and changed it to only a few lines with no pics. I may change it back once I get my pip running through Boomtastics site. But then again I might not.

Any how thanks Cliff.

------------------
MsBeth~The Coupe Boomtastic Racing
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.- Henry David Thoreau

[This message has been edited by MsBeth (edited 09-28-2003).]

PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave