Replies: 57 (43 views)
Last post by: Oreif on 01-24-2002 08:17 PM
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2002 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some of you already know I'm working on something new although there are only few people that know what it is exactly. I can't tell you just yet what it is, but I just wanted you to know it will probably go life on monday!

I've been programming my butt off for the past few weeks and I hope you will like it.

It's not an addition to PFF, but it is something for the Fiero community. I'm currently testing it as thorough as possible, and things are looking good. I just hope it'll hold up as well once it's actually being used by people.

Ok, I might have made it sound like this is something unique, never-before-seen stuff, while it really isn't. It's just something I thought the Fiero community could use.

Anyway, keep a close eye on this thread. Once it goes life, I'll post it here.

Oh, I can tell you what it's called: PFA.

[This message has been edited by Cliff Pennock (edited 01-13-2002).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jaygee79

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2002 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jaygee79Send a Private Message to Jaygee79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ooh I can't wait. I love surprises
Mach10

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2002 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mach10Send a Private Message to Mach10Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I can only assume it's a good thing... I'm having problems converting the acronym into dirty words

Are we allowed to guess?

84Bill

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post01-13-2002 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mach10:
Well, I'm having problems converting the acronym into dirty words

About all I can say is
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!!! That's funny I have the same problem.

72vinman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2002 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 72vinmanSend a Private Message to 72vinmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:
I can't tell you just yet what it is, but I just wanted you to know it will probably go life on monday!

How about a small hint.

------------------

CFOG-I
GTA Fiero Club

88CoupeV6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2002 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88CoupeV6Click Here to visit 88CoupeV6's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88CoupeV6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please Cliff, Give us a small hint

------------------
Josh Pics of my cars

Join New England Fiero Association

Jaygee79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2002 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jaygee79Send a Private Message to Jaygee79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it must be Monday over there by now. tell us! TELL US!!!!!!

sorry, I get a little excited at times

Fleabitdog

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2002 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FleabitdogSend a Private Message to FleabitdogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pretty friggin awesome
hugh

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2002 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hughSend a Private Message to hughEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff,I understand your need to keep it a secret.BUT,WHAT THE H(ECK)IS IT?
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2002 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like I said, it's nothing really spectacular, just something I have been wanting to make for a long time. And now I just sat down and made it.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2002 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Me too, mine was a boy !!

>Like I said, it's nothing really
>spectacular, just something I have been
>wanting to make for a long time. And now I
>just sat down and made it

PFF
System Bot
hugh

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2002 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hughSend a Private Message to hughEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know what it is Cliff!Pennocks Fiero Dash(you spelled dash wrong)
Fierochic88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2002 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pennock's Fiero Album? or how about -

Pennock's Forum or Fiero Auction?

jen

FieroRacer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2002 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRacerClick Here to visit FieroRacer's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRacerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pennocks Fiero "A-free-engine-upgrade-for-everyone" program

------------------
Interested in a unlimited income Potential?
http://www.my.ws/fr3346514

Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2002 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pennock's Forum Anonymous?
2xsess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2002 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2xsessSend a Private Message to 2xsessEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fleabit..you took the words out of my mouth.

Oh boy, I can't wait to see what cool thing Cliff's cooking up

FieroRacer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2002 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRacerClick Here to visit FieroRacer's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRacerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pennocks Fiero "A-free-engine-upgrade-for-everyone" program

------------------
Interested in a unlimited income Potential?
http://www.my.ws/fr3346514

FieroHarry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2002 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroHarrySend a Private Message to FieroHarryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Come on Cliff isnt it monday at your house yet???????
Pilrulz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2002 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PilrulzSend a Private Message to PilrulzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, it's 3:40 Monday morning in The Netherlands. Cliff might be asleep. (but i doubt it!) So what, it's MONDAY! Tell us, show us, we just want to know!

[This message has been edited by Pilrulz (edited 01-13-2002).]

CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2002 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I KNOW - I KNOW !!!!

1st 10 thousand dollars, I'll tell !! LOL

Can't wait to find out !

84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-13-2002 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's cool CoolBlue
PFF
System Bot
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2002 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hate surprises....What is it?!?!?!

------------------

James Essar
AOL IM Name: FieroMaster88
Not your ordinary 88 coupe!

Screwie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2002 04:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ScrewieSend a Private Message to ScrewieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's monday here now Cliff, 10:40am c'mon, WAAAAKE UUUUP!
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2002 06:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, it's monday here. Like I said, it's nothing really spectacular, just something I hope you can all use. An honorary mention goes to Fierochic88 since she's the only one who guessed it right.

PFA is indeed Pennock's Fiero Auctions!

I was seeing how much was traded in The Mall section and also saw how much eBay was used. And I thought it would be cool if there was something similar to eBay, but just for Fiero stuff! That's when I sat down and started programming.

I kept it as simple as possible to use, although it has all the nice features like a rating/feedback system, Auto Bidding (which works differently and fairer than eBay's proxy bidding, so make sure you read the help section on that!), auction history, etc.

I've been testing it for the past few days with the help of a couple of members (84Bill, Monkeyman, Theogre, thanks guys) and most of the bugs have been ironed out but I'm sure more bugs will surface once it's being used by a lot of people. So especially the first few weeks, please be aware that some things might not go as intended, and please email me any bugs you find.

Right, have a look here:
https://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/auctions/pfa.cgi

also, make sure you have a quick look at the help section.

One last remark: your PFF registration will not work on PFA, so if you want to trade there, you'll need to register seperately on PFA.

I hope you are not too disappointed it's "only" an auction site and I do hope you can all use it.

Enjoy!

[This message has been edited by Cliff Pennock (edited 01-14-2002).]

Jaygee79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2002 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jaygee79Send a Private Message to Jaygee79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"only" an auction site? that's so cool. I can't wait to start using it!

one question about the help section (and keep in mind that I just woke up )

Q: I had set my maximum bid to $200, but the auction was won by someone who also bid $200! How come he won and I didn't?

That all has to do with how Auto Bid works. Auto Bid will bid incrementally until a price is reached that can't be outbid by the previous bidder.

For example: You are currently the highest bidder with a bid of $50 and your maximum bid was $200. Bid increment was set by the seller at $50 which makes the new minimum bid $100 (your bid plus the bid increment). A new bidder comes along and also enters a maximum bid of $200 (or higher). Auto Bid will now bid $100 + $50 + $50 = $200 to reach the lowest amount that can't be outbid by your maximum bid, so the new bidder will become the highest bidder.

what exactly does this mean?

------------------
Jaime
AOL IM: Jaygee79 ICQ: 85931334

[This message has been edited by Jaygee79 (edited 01-14-2002).]

84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-14-2002 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I may explain it works like this

Opening bid is set a $50.00
You bid 200.00 and auto bidder will bid up to that amount for you "200.00"

Shemp comes along and bids 100.00 because the bid increment is 50.00 so 50 +50 is 100.00. follow me?

Since you have told auto bidder you will bid up to 200 it automaticly out bids Shemp by bidding 150.00 and the next wining bid amount is 200.00

Shemp then places a bid of 200.00 and beats (your) auto bid of 150.00. and becomes the highest bidder. Since you only bid up to 200.00 and Shemp already bid 200.00 you do not win the bidding.

Hope this splains it

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2002 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, what he said.
Jaygee79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2002 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jaygee79Send a Private Message to Jaygee79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
oh ok I think I get it now
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2002 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, I finally figured it out.

Seller: $50 opening price.
Bidder 1: Bids $200 max Price is $50
Bidder 2: Bids $200 max
So the auction would go:
Bidder 2 bids $100 ($50 increment)
Bidder 1 would then be $150
Bidder 2 would then advance to $200
Since bidder 2 bid $200 first and bidder 1 can't increment higher, bidder 2 is the winner.

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 01-14-2002).]

Galen
No longer registered
Report this Post01-14-2002 09:18 AM   Send a Private Message to OreifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How bout I explain something:

cliff = the man

or

cliff = Archie's twin

------------------
Ray - Fierosite.com - The Donut Man!

MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2002 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet! I registered, now I'm just awaiting my email confirmation...!

I Agree Cliff=The Man!

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2002 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oreif:
OK, I finally figured it out.

Seller: $50 opening price.
Bidder 1: Bids $200 max Price is $50
Bidder 2: Bids $200 max
So the auction would go:
Bidder 2 bids $100 ($50 increment)
Bidder 1 would then be $150
Bidder 2 would then advance to $200
Since bidder 2 bid $200 first and bidder 1 can't increment higher, bidder 2 is the winner.

That's basically it. Let me explain a little bit further and also try to explain why I chose for this mechanism.

Bidding is at $50 (not the opening bid).
Bid Increment is $10.
Buyer A sets maximum bid to $100:
Autobid bids $60 on behalf of Buyer A ($50+$10)

Buyer B comes along and also sets maximum bid at $100:
1) Auto Bid bids $70 on behalf of Buyer B, which is not enough because Buyer A's maximum bid can still outbid that.
2) Auto Bid bids $80 on behalf of Buyer B, which is not enough because Buyer A's maximum bid can still outbid that.
3) Auto Bid bids $90 on behalf of Buyer B, which is not enough because Buyer A's maximum bid can still outbid that.
4) Auto Bid bids $100 on behalf of Buyer B. Auto Bid will now stop bidding because Buyer A's maximum bid can't outbid this.

Buyer B is now the highest bidder.

There are several reasons I chose for this mechanism (and not for the way eBay works, where Buyer A would still be the highest bidder):

First of all, Buyer A is at a tremendous advantage, because if nobody bids on the item, he will be the winner for a price much lower than what he was willing to pay for it. If any new bidder comes along and bids below his maximum bid (taking the bid increment in consideration), he will still be the winner. Now the price for this advantage is that he will not have the highest bid if someone comes along and makes the same maximum bid. Which, IMO, is only fair.

Consider this conversation (as I explained it in email to someone):

Buyer A: "Hey! Nice stuff! I'll give you $20 for it!"
Buyer B: "Well, I'll give him $30 for it."
Buyer A: "Oh wait, I'll give him $30 also."

Now who should get it for $30?

Now the alternative would be something like this:

Buyer A: "Hey, I'll give you $30 for it, unless nobody else wants it, then I'll only give you $20"
Buyer B: "I'll give him $30 for it"
Buyer A: "I was first with $30, so I should get it!"

That just isn't fair. Auto Bid enables you to get an item for far less than you are actually willing to pay for it. But the risk is that somebody else actually buys it at that price.

[This message has been edited by Cliff Pennock (edited 01-14-2002).]

Mark Matthews

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2002 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark MatthewsSend a Private Message to Mark MatthewsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm.. I'm not too hot on that part. But I don't know how else you could do it. Unless there was no maximum bid. Hey, if they wanna go higher, they should be able to. Don't know how often this will go into effect, but it just seems a little 'wrinkled'.

------------------
Mark Matthews
'87 GT Fastback T-top

84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-14-2002 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS Cliff

The first item for bid is officially listed.

Where is that Champagne

88CoupeV6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2002 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88CoupeV6Click Here to visit 88CoupeV6's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88CoupeV6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great Idea Cliff, I just registered. I will now have to find some stuff to put up there.

------------------
Josh Pics of my cars

Join New England Fiero Association

onfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2002 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for onfireSend a Private Message to onfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Know all you need to do is put a link on the main page.
mbramble

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2002 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mbrambleSend a Private Message to mbrambleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guess I should look a little closer to see how it really works!!

[This message has been edited by mbramble (edited 01-14-2002).]

Jaygee79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2002 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jaygee79Send a Private Message to Jaygee79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so once you set your max bid you can't increase it, right? like, if i put in a max bid of $100 and I later decided that I would be willing to pay more for it, could I change the max bid to go higher?
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2002 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, you would only want to set your maxbid higher if you're outbid. In such a case, you simply make a new maxbid since you're no longer the latest bidder.

But, maybe I can change that so you can raise your maxbid if you wanted. Let me think about that for a bit (no pun intended).

tomanyfieros

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2002 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tomanyfierosSend a Private Message to tomanyfierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
do u have to reregister to use it?
Thanx JAson

------------------

We all have dreams, but not everyone gets them...

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock