Replies: 51 (50 views)
Last post by: fropuff on 02-19-2001 05:06 PM
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2001 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been thinking for quite a while now about adding more sections to the forum. This has been discussed in several threads. The first idea I had was to split up the TD&Q section into 3 or 4 different sections. The problem with this is that a thread that starts in one section might very well become very on-topic for another section as well. In other words, it will not get the full exposure.

But then I realised we don't have to split up the TD&Q section. The reason the TD&Q and the GFC sections are so flooded with new messages is because we are actually missing one important section. A section where people could ask questions that neither fit in the TD&Q section nor the GFC section. I'm talking about questions that are Fiero related but aren't technical (technical = mechanical, engine, electronics, etc) in nature nor are they "general". Questions like interior- and exterior mods, or how to install a stereo or subwoofer, or what the best paint is to use for your engine.

I want to create an extra section for this. Hopefully this will clean up the other sections a bit. Let me know what you think of this idea. Also, if you have a good name for it, bring it on!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Pontiaddict

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2001 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiaddictSend a Private Message to PontiaddictEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about "Fiero Restification"?
Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2001 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be very careful adding new topics to the forum. In my experience, the forums that are heavily divided up (like probetalk.com has become) tend to loose some of the sense of community that they generate. A lot of members also do not participate in every topic, and the whole forum then looses their imput on certain topics. I don't think this forum is in danger of that, but I would not really like to see many more than one, or maybe two new topics at most.

Maybe a new Asthetics forum for exterior/interior questions and comments, stereo stuff etc. This would draw from both topics in question, so it may be the best way to go. Or another thought might be a strictly performance forum to seperate the engine swaps and suspension mod topics from the repair and maintenance stuff in TD.

However, If the topic is right I am all for it!

------------------
John

1988 Fiero Formula
1997 Ford Probe SE
AOL IM: Fformula88

fropuff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2001 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fropuffSend a Private Message to fropuffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it's a good idea, but you might want to tell everyone which specific things fall under the categories. There still will be some posts that don't belong if nobody knows where they go.

------------------
Fuzz busters are for those who are worried about being caught.

bHooper

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2001 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bHooperSend a Private Message to bHooperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i think the forum could use another topic section. there are over 1800 people registered, now, which probably translates to something like 1000-1100 "active" users. this can lead to clutter in the main sections.

i might also suggest that you mention the search functions, when people first join. this can help to eliminate some of the repeat questions that we have been getting. don't missunderstand me, i fully realize that everyone believes that there question is unique and important, however, check the search... then if your questions still aren't answered, ask.

it also might be nice to have a section that list some of the active vendors, such as: Rodney and George.

and lastly, the upgrade that i would probably like as much, if not more than anyone... spell check

hoop

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2001 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't want a lot of new sections too. I actually only want one new section to accomodate questions that doesn't really fit the other sections.

I do want a list of vendors. But this would not be a seperate section but a seperate page (a link to this page would be at the bottom of each page). Sort of like the "Fiero Yellow Pages". I'm working on this already (an announcement about this will be made soon).

sqoach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2001 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
this is a good idea cliff. i can't think of any ideas for the name of the new section right now. need to put on my thinking hat. humm....

------------------
sQoaCh
sqoach@yahoo.com

2xsess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2001 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2xsessSend a Private Message to 2xsessEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff, I'm glad you put that other post in O/T. You're right, usually I don't look up here.

I have a bunch of sill ynames running through my head. I'll throw them out and maybe someone can built something decent off them.

Sounds and seating...general interior mods.

Fiero Beautification yeah I know, corny

Well, I think I've embarassed myself enough for now

I agree with only adding one of two more sections though.

hugh

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2001 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hughSend a Private Message to hughEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
. I'm talking about questions that are Fiero related but aren't technical (technical = mechanical, engine, electronics, etc) in nature nor are they "general". Questions like interior- and exterior mods, or how to install a stereo or subwoofer, or what the best paint is to use for your engine.

Cliff,I'm somewhat confused.What other questions are there?

Cheever2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2001 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever2Send a Private Message to Cheever2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yours is the best idea yet, Cliff. Once again, you're one step, er... one or two giant leaps, ahead of me.

But I still like to call it "fluff".

Oh, and fropuff: there will always be posts that don't belong.

------------------
Chuck Hodges

ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2001 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
cliff thanks for doing this forum. I am sure any changes you make will improve an all ready wonderful and useful site.
links list or yellow pages good addition.
ray
PFF
System Bot
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2001 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heheheheh!

I can see the confusion.

Technical: Mechanical, electrical, engine, etc.
General: "Saw a cool Fiero!", "How many do you own?", "How fast is yours?"
New: "What is the best place for a subwoofer?", "What paint should I use?", "How should I clean my rims?", "Got a great idea for ... (insert your great idea here)!"

Ronnie

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2001 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RonnieSend a Private Message to RonnieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Cliff.I really enjoy the Forum.I'm sorta new here , but it's been real informative.I'm not sure how to split it up , but a section just for modifications and improvements would be nice.
How bout "The Mod Squad"
Just a thought

------------------
'86 GT 4-speed, leather interior

88formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2001 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88formulaClick Here to visit 88formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I kind of like it the way it is Cliff but if you want to trim the Technical Discussions section a little how about the Non Mechanical Technical Discussions section or Miscellaneous Technical Discussions section?
hugh

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2001 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hughSend a Private Message to hughEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In that case,how about
Technical
Cosmetic/audio/visual
General
Phil

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2001 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hows bout sort of our own on-line service guide type thingy,or more correctly a FAQ section on the common problems/mods ie: 3.1/3.4 swaps, headlighs don't go down-that kind of stuff. I'm sure some of our more literary types could whip some Ogre's cave type material. No postings to the section just info to give folks some background. I have noticed that the same questions do get asked more than once. Of course since the answer to the question has already been given and I learned it and if I am the first one to spit it back out to a new member they think "Wow that Phil guy really knows his stuff". Just a thought
Seanh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2001 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SeanhSend a Private Message to SeanhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the idea for the split, but I think there should be one more split. I think there should be a topic for "Engine Swaps". Just an Idea. I relize most hate forums with tons of topics, there really wont be very many topics, compared to most other forums.

------------------

Sean's Fiero Page
Sean Heberly
Silver 86 GT 2.8 Auto (3.4 Conversion in Progress)
"It's always in the last place you look." Of course it is. Why would you keep looking after you've found it? Do people do this? Who and where are they?

KnightRyder31

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2001 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightRyder31Send a Private Message to KnightRyder31Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about just MODS?
Or even just Questions?

loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2001 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just my two cents worth, but I quite like the forum the way things are right now. I think modifications and stereo questions seem belong in the general Fiero chat section, and all the engine swaps, techy questions in the technical area. A couple of other forums (AutoCAD and 3D Studio forums) I used to frequent expanded from three sections to over 10(!) and I found it very confusing to help others out and found that a lot of my posts went unnoticed. Like I said tho, just my opinion. I'm not too worried tho, whatever you do Cliff it will still be great!
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2001 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really like the yellow pages idea. I end up on the web ring searching for vendors, ot the "Big Fiero Parts Book" from Pisa.

Too bad you can't have an automatic go to search function when someone types in 3.1, 3.4 or 3.8.

Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2001 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if you do one i agree with calling it "mods" or something like that.
PFF
System Bot
Jaygee79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2001 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jaygee79Send a Private Message to Jaygee79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good idea, Cliff. How about "Cosmetic/Modification Questions" or just plain "Other"?

[This message has been edited by Jaygee79 (edited 01-16-2001).]

MrPBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2001 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MrPBodyClick Here to visit MrPBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to MrPBodyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm ambivalent about this.

The current division seems reasonable to me. Granted, the Technical section contains a grab-bag of subjects; however, this may reflect the diversity of Forum members' interest and experience rather than illogical categories. For instance, some members may perceive sound systems as "fluff", while others (e.g. Oreif) take a serious and professional interest. There may be no objective way to categorize all technical and quasi-technical questions.

A greater number of categories probably increases the likelihood that a given thread will be mis-categorized. Does that mean I'm a realist or a cynic?

However, if we're going to devise arbitrary but agreed-upon categories, it does seem reasonable to segregate cosmetics from mechanical/electrical technical questions. Maybe you could call the cosmetic/interior/audio section Sight and Sound.

stimpy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 386
User Banned

Report this Post01-16-2001 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What? No special forum for Archie-bashing?
Cheever2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2001 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever2Send a Private Message to Cheever2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Frivolous
Luxuries
Unnecessary
For
Fieros
* * Just havin' fun with ya * *

2M4 Dale

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2001 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2M4 DaleSend a Private Message to 2M4 DaleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How 'bout 1. Non-Mech-Tech (show and shine and sterio stuff.)

And 2. Hi-Performance (for the engine builders and swapers.)

Or just leave things the way they are...lol. I understand the the currant system and I ain't Einstien.

sqoach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2001 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
oops!

[This message has been edited by sqoach (edited 01-17-2001).]

sqoach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2001 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sqoach

6383 posts
Member since Nov 2000
MODS 'N STUFF!!

perfect name for it, IMO.

RiceCooker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2001 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RiceCookerSend a Private Message to RiceCookerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How bout, "Mods N Suff, & A little Fluff"

Just kidding, I couldn't come up with a good name, but I think everyone is on the right track with the modifications idea. It takes a lot of unneccesary talk out of TD&Q and GFC and deserves it's own category.

Also appreciate Cliffs neverening maintenance on this forum but also his desire to keep it the BEST Fiero site in the World. I mean it, thanks.

Todd

Red2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2001 05:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Red2m4Send a Private Message to Red2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I like the idea of a miscelaneous tech. Perhaps even a "Non-Fiero Specific Tech." I think it would be nice to have a place to ask/answer questions about other cars, stereos, painting, polishing, etc. I know this is Pennock's FIERO Forum, but a section where we could discuss other vehicles would be cool.

zeusrekning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2001 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zeusrekningSend a Private Message to zeusrekningEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I personally don't like a whole lot of different sections.Went to the vette forum one time and i got sooo lost. I think the topics are broke up well.
PFF
System Bot
William Federle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2001 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for William FederleSend a Private Message to William FederleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the sections that you have now Cliff.

Sometimes the threads spill over or get started in what you might think is the wrong section, but I don't think that it's really a big deal. In fact, when I'm looking for a discussion on something I want to know about, that's what makes me check all of the sections.

I think if this forum gets too structured, it will lose something.

I think the Fiero Forum is just right the way you have it now.

[This message has been edited by William Federle (edited 01-17-2001).]

Carrolles

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2001 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrollesSend a Private Message to CarrollesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd rather not break up the forum any more than it already is. I don't mind any kind of question in any topic area. What's the big deal if someone asks an off topic question? We learn from it all.

I would like to be able to see the original message while in the reply screen. Something has changed and I don't seem to be able to do that anymore.

Keep up the good work Cliff.

Take care and thanks,

Carroll

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2001 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hugh:
In that case,how about
Technical
Cosmetic/audio/visual
General

I'm with Hugh. You also might consider a Swaps section, though. I think it has a large enough following to warrant it's own section.

Just MHO.
I'm sure we'll peacefully coexist with whatever you do.

Raydar

TheFiero64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2001 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheFiero64Click Here to visit TheFiero64's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheFiero64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I Think we need the split. here is a suggestion for forum names.

Mechanical Questions.
Other Fiero related Questions
General Fiero Talk

------------------
Josh
88 Coupe V6

My pics

286SE'S

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2001 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 286SE'SSend a Private Message to 286SE'SEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the idea of separating the mechanics of the car from the body/interior/cosmetic discussions.
A section just for modifications is not necessary as the mods would fit in the two catagories.
Pontiaddict

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2001 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiaddictSend a Private Message to PontiaddictEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about changing the Tech section to "Mechanical Mods".
Then add "Interior/Exterior Mods".
Then change General chat to "My Fiero is better than yours" and watch the flame wars roll in. (That last one was just a joke) That ought to let people know where to post and still keep the number of topics low.
jerpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2001 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jerproClick Here to visit jerpro's HomePageSend a Private Message to jerproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hmm... one section should do the trick.
dont put more than that or the site might look conglomerated (sp?)
LuckyTheyWereEverMade

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2001 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LuckyTheyWereEverMadeClick Here to visit LuckyTheyWereEverMade's HomePageSend a Private Message to LuckyTheyWereEverMadeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero Yellow Pages would make this incredible resource more powerful. If readers could have review threads for each vendor, then it would be a dream come true.

The name of the interior/exterior/audio section should be "Cosmetics and Audio"

Another idea is to organize the search features of the forum archives to search across categories and to include a hyper-link hot list of the major categories of information:

For example:
2.5 Duke engine and sensors, 2.8 V6 engine and sensors, Engine Swaps, automatic transmission, manual transmissions, electrical, etc.

This list would be like a top ten . . .

Then, it would be easy to ask the database many of the questions. As a result, the Forum could become much more effective as a feeder for the archives. The archives should be one of the major menu choices along with each of the Forum categories.

The Fiero Forum can continue to be the absolute best Fiero resource on the web by improving it's ability to acquire and organize information. Users should start by looking in the archives and move to the Forums for new subjects.

This way, the experts can look only at new posts. The "newbies" can get answers to their questions in real time without waiting for answers to post. If they need more info, then they can post with the benefit of reading the previous posts first.

The qaulity of answers depends to a large degree on the quality of the questions you ask.

mblackwell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2001 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mblackwellSend a Private Message to mblackwellEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could do something similar to http://boards.straightdope.com

Have one forum for general questions, one for opinion questions/polling, and one for MPSIMS.

Or not.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock