Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall
  Anyone make aftermarket stock looking spoiler mounts?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Anyone make aftermarket stock looking spoiler mounts? by CDIJeff
Started on: 04-04-2022 06:23 PM
Replies: 19 (703 views)
Last post by: dwilsonfl on 05-14-2022 12:42 PM
CDIJeff

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2022 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CDIJeffSend a Private Message to CDIJeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking for stockish looking mounts for my spoiler.
I believe they are called wing stands.

Mine decided to crack and I am kinda stuck not sure what to do.

All I keep finding are old post from blacktop racing stealth mount or some random five inch giant stand from west coast fiero forum.

Does anyone make a standard height 3d printed or aftermarket wing stand?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Skybax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2022 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe find some used stock/original ones in good condition, go to your local auto paint supplier and have then mix a half pint (that's the minimum) of your color in single stage enamel, then have them inject that mix into a spray can (total cost under $50), then paint your newly found used wing stands, then when dry install them onto your spoiler. (because its in a hard-to-see area with lots of angles nobody will notice if you have good spray bomb skills)

[This message has been edited by Skybax (edited 04-04-2022).]

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2022 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought someone may have had a 3D printing plans for this.
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2022 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes the scans are done but making it is a different story.
CDIJeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2022 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CDIJeffSend a Private Message to CDIJeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought I saw a forum of someone here making a replacement for $150, however I cannot find that thread again.

All I remember was that the thread had a picture of them unpainted and one person was testing the fit.
CDIJeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2022 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CDIJeffSend a Private Message to CDIJeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CDIJeff

19 posts
Member since Oct 2021
CDIJeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2022 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CDIJeffSend a Private Message to CDIJeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another thought I had was the old stealth wing stands, if someone has the ability to 3d print that as the new replacement stand.

Since they use a threaded rod setup you could make that the new updated replacement stand.
You would be able make it as tall as you want and retain the slide movement for your optimal wing location.
Nothing else would need to be changed you could change the height of the stand best part is the screws, rods, and gasket would all stay the same.

Myself I am heading to a fiberglass repair place to see if they will even touch it or if it's even worth it.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2022 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of the issues with printing these or any other means other than fiberglass is the front mounting hole location of the stock stand. It is literally against the front point of the stand and is not very deep. That is a very important area since your entire spoiler is dependent on that mount for strength. Trying to fab up a stand by 3D printing or casting will probably be an issue as that front mount may have a lot of stress on it and I don't think the print material or casting will hold up under those stresses.

Originally Chris (Black Top Racing) and I discussed a stock size wingstand when we were making the stealth wingstands. I have some photos of the stock size units but we never went through with the final production of those, just the stealth wingstands.
CDIJeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2022 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CDIJeffSend a Private Message to CDIJeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

One of the issues with printing these or any other means other than fiberglass is the front mounting hole location of the stock stand. It is literally against the front point of the stand and is not very deep. That is a very important area since your entire spoiler is dependent on that mount for strength. Trying to fab up a stand by 3D printing or casting will probably be an issue as that front mount may have a lot of stress on it and I don't think the print material or casting will hold up under those stresses.

Originally Chris (Black Top Racing) and I discussed a stock size wingstand when we were making the stealth wingstands. I have some photos of the stock size units but we never went through with the final production of those, just the stealth wingstands.

Okay, that's pretty cool, I know he is doing the GTR Lighting with Retrofitsource, just found his video where he sold off the last low profile mount he had 4 months ago Nov 2021.

I am not that familiar with 3d printing other then buying stuff I need, but wouldn't polycarbonate support the stress and time?
Other then 3d printing the only other way I could think you could make a mount/bracket is with a CNC machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSTXBC4AZbs
CDIJeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2022 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CDIJeffSend a Private Message to CDIJeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got sent these 3d wing stands prints, so someone has made them in the past. (Link for 3d print same as the bottom link.)

Need to find someone who can print quality prints the wont brake or crack.

I just don't know how you would mount the stand to the trunk as the factory uses studs, guessing well nuts or tap then use threaded rod.

Also if anyone knows the factory screw size for the wings stands that would be helpful going to replace with stainless screws since I have to take it apart.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4976663
CDIJeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2022 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CDIJeffSend a Private Message to CDIJeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tried a local boat place, they wanted nothing to do with it since it was a small job.

Found a 3d printer company that they guess could make those stands from the thingverse file, made of reinforced heat resistant nylon.
They wanted over $300 per side before I got them painted and hardware.

I still don't know how you would transfer hardware over or buy new hardware, since they look to be studs on the factory stand.

These shouldn't be that hard and expensive to find/make.

Going to try another boat place or body shop.
I refuse to buy a used fiberglass stand/wing as it will just crack again.

Maybe I can get lucky and find a stealth mount.

In the end if this all fails I might just make a 3d printed wing delete with thick rectangles to somewhat mimic the notchback cargo racks
This is to cover the holes and imprints left from the stock stands.
PFF
System Bot
American Exotic

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2022 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for American ExoticSend a Private Message to American ExoticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I REMEMBER READING WAY BACK, SOMEONE HAVING THE SAME ISSUE AND THEY USED JB WELD ON THEIR CRACKED WING STAND. OTHER MEMBERS RESPONDED THAT IT WORKS GREAT AND AS FAR AS I REMEMBER , HE KEPT THE WING STAND AND NEVER HAVD TO REPLACE IT. I’VE USED JB MANY OF TIMES FOR MANY OF JOBS. DIFFERENT WELDS FOR PLASTIC, FIBERGLASS, METAL ETC. JUST A THOUGHT , EVEN IF YOU WERE LOOKING AT A TEMPORARY FIX?
CDIJeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2022 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CDIJeffSend a Private Message to CDIJeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by American Exotic:

I REMEMBER READING WAY BACK, SOMEONE HAVING THE SAME ISSUE AND THEY USED JB WELD ON THEIR CRACKED WING STAND. OTHER MEMBERS RESPONDED THAT IT WORKS GREAT AND AS FAR AS I REMEMBER , HE KEPT THE WING STAND AND NEVER HAVD TO REPLACE IT. I’VE USED JB MANY OF TIMES FOR MANY OF JOBS. DIFFERENT WELDS FOR PLASTIC, FIBERGLASS, METAL ETC. JUST A THOUGHT , EVEN IF YOU WERE LOOKING AT A TEMPORARY FIX?

Was thinking about doing that, body work is not my specialty.

Talking to a body shop soon, I might just end up going with my delete idea and run two bar over the holes.
That will do three things, delete the wing, cover the holes, and provide the weight that the wing gave so the trunk doesn't launch open when unlocked.

The problem I am running into unlike the position of the SE/Notch storage rack the GT has a curve right where the holes are in the deck-lid for the wing.
I would need to get a metal bent or made that had almost a curve/indent for it to sit flush.
CDIJeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2022 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CDIJeffSend a Private Message to CDIJeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got an update, bodyshop guy said he would do it and reinforce them.

For the time being put some bolts and washers to somewhat slow rain water getting in the trunk.

The wing screws are 10-32 machine screws, picked up some stainless to clean up and not ever have to worry about rust if I ever have to remove again.

Was going to get the wing painted with it off, but everyone told me they like the patina of the original wing paint.

Skybax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2022 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CDIJeff:

I refuse to buy a used fiberglass stand/wing as it will just crack again.

There are tens of thousands of Fiero wing stands out there that are not cracked and won't crack until we are buried and long gone.

CDIJeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2022 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CDIJeffSend a Private Message to CDIJeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah your right.

For me didn't want to buy the whole wing or deal with another color stand if I had to take mine off already just to send the new ones out for paint.

CDIJeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2022 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CDIJeffSend a Private Message to CDIJeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got my final update on my wing stands, got them fixed by a body shop which also happens to be the local Line-x.
Got them Line-X color matched, while I was getting the stands painted and fixed decided to get the vents also sprayed with Premium.

Really happy how it came out and pretty much indestructible now.
Also can probably say first person to put Line-x on a Fiero or at least the stands and vents.

Replaced hardware screws with stainless and added neoprene stainless washers to help with any water, they also replace the factory rubber inside the trunk which for me fell apart as soon as I touched the bolts.

CDIJeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2022 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CDIJeffSend a Private Message to CDIJeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CDIJeff

19 posts
Member since Oct 2021

SKJSS

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2022 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SKJSSSend a Private Message to SKJSSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice! I need to find a set of white stock height wing stands. My '85 came with some sort of aftermarket ones that are at least twice as tall. I don't like them and want to go back to a stock look.
dwilsonfl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2022 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dwilsonflSend a Private Message to dwilsonflEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah mine are crumbling as well. I'd take anything as a stopgap option. Are the higher stands still sold? Is there another GM spoiler that might work? On my 1988 notchback (sold to Ed Parks) I used a Dodge Shadow spoiler that kind of looked like the IMSA Fieros.

David
1988 GT in process...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock