1988 Fiero GT 5-spd T-Top - 23k Miles - One Owner by Z3SpdDmn
Started on: 03-18-2021 06:16 PM
Replies: 38 (1764 views)
Last post by: Z3SpdDmn on 02-06-2023 08:44 PM
Z3SpdDmn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2021 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Z3SpdDmnSend a Private Message to Z3SpdDmnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, I bought this car "by mistake"... There was a technical glitch on the end of the other bidder and his bid didn't go through. It stopped well short of what it should have sold for! You can look in the comments and read what happed.

https://bringatrailer.com/l...pontiac-fiero-gt-15/

In any case, the timing was bad, but I had it shipped to me in Ann Arbor, MI. I'm at a point where I need to decide if I'm going to sell the car or keep it long term. There will be no in-between. If I decide to keep it long term, I'll be installing the NLA performance parts I kept of my wrecked car (Konis, lowering springs, Aadco swaybars) and having custom Forgeline wheels made. I have to pull the trigger on them very soon, so the car is only going to be for sale for a couple weeks, at most.

In the BaT auction photos, I noticed that the P-seals for the T-Top were worn out. You can see the red bead that is internal to the seal remaining. I have procured a set of factory P-seals and they will be included with the car.

Please let me know of any questions. I'm offering the car at $21,000.

------------------
Anthony

'88 Fiero GT 5-spd T-Top - Red/Grey 23k mile BaT purchase
www.DriveFasterNow.com

[This message has been edited by Z3SpdDmn (edited 03-19-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2021 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
is your total out of pocket 21k? i see it sold for 15,100.
Z3SpdDmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2021 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Z3SpdDmnSend a Private Message to Z3SpdDmnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jjd2296:

is your total out of pocket 21k? i see it sold for 15,100.

No. On top of that is the BaT buyer's fee (5%), plus shipping by enclosed transport from CA->MI, plus the P-seals. I'm into if for over $18k. The other bidder would've gone over $20k if it wasn't for the technical glitch. I was fully expecting it to. Plus the 5% buyer's fee. I got lucky. I couldn't believe it when the clock wound down to zero and I'd won it!

------------------
Anthony

www.DriveFasterNow.com

Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2021 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Z3SpdDmn:

So, I bought this car by mistake... I'm offering the car at $21,000.

Sold For $15,100 On 1/14/21

As a retired owner of a dealership, I'd call this a tidy little profit in such a short period of time.
jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2021 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
agreed, hes a flipper. Who bids 15100 with no expectation of actually buying it?? this doesnt make sense
Z3SpdDmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2021 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Z3SpdDmnSend a Private Message to Z3SpdDmnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not a "flipper". I lost my 22k mile '88 GT in an accident last April (here's the car) and I've remained open to getting another. I'd bid on a few others, but they went for more than I was willing to pay. Because I had too many cars already, I was essentially bidding up to what I considered to be a "silly good" deal. It's not so dissimilar to a dealer buying a car at wholesale. Except I'm telling you what I paid. I could have just as well kept that all to myself and listed the car. I'm trying to be transparent with this community. I'm not sure why it's implied that it's ok for dealers to make money, but not an individual who happened to buy a car very "right".

In this case, there was a real fluke that led to the guy who was going to win it not getting his bid in and it happened to benefit me. Its in the comments, but his computer's clock got out of sync with BaT's clock and his next bid didn't go through in time. From following the auction prices on the '88 GT's over the last couple years, I thought $16k (plus the buyer's fee and shipping) was a crazy good deal for a southern 1-owner t-top GT 5-spd in this condition. When it stopped at $15,100, I was astounded.

The honest reality is that I just don't have the emotional attachment to this car, mainly because it isn't the color combo I most desire. If I sell it now for what it's worth, I'm just going to take that money and put it towards the one I really want. But I'd want one just as nice, so therefore I need to sell it for what it's worth so I can "flip" that money into the one I'm going to keep. If I don't sell it in the next couple weeks, I'm going to swap the suspension in, have the wheels built, and keep it indefinitely. It's not really about the money. The Forgeline wheels are going to cost more than what I'd be profiting on this car.

With that said, if you're not interested, please move on.

------------------
Anthony

www.DriveFasterNow.com

[This message has been edited by Z3SpdDmn (edited 03-18-2021).]

jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2021 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you still make no sense. "the guy that was going to win it"...so what about your bid that did win it? was there some sort of illegal up bidding going on and you got burnt???

[This message has been edited by jjd2296 (edited 03-19-2021).]

Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2021 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

you still make no sense. "the guy that was going to win it"...so what about your bid that did win it? was there some sort of illegal up bidding going on and you got burnt???

That is called Shill Bidding.

Not only is Shill Bidding illegal, it can be costly if it backfires. Costly because there are not only seller fees but buyer's fees as well.

Shill bidding is a foolish thing to do. Most people that do it (and I personally know 1 guy that does) usually come out on the losing end in one form or another.

Anytime I feel I'm up against a shill bidder or bidders, I just drop out. There is nothing out there I can't live without or find somewhere else without all the games and drama.

[This message has been edited by Thunderstruck GT (edited 03-19-2021).]

Z3SpdDmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2021 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Z3SpdDmnSend a Private Message to Z3SpdDmnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm sorry you guys are having such a hard time understanding this. I suggested that you read the comments in the auction, but it doesn't seem that you've taken the time to do that. BaT explains exactly what happened and you can see the other bidder's discontent. He was a real bidder who was willing to pay the full value of the car. Go look at the comments and then tell me if you still don't understand what happened.

I willingly bid on the car. I had a max number. I expected the car to sell for far more than that. I lucked out due to a technical glitch on the other bidder's end. His and the seller's loss was my gain.

I legitimately purchased the car. It wasn't a "shill bid" (nor were the other bidders'). I own the car, right here in my garage. I'm not fully committed (yet) to keeping the car long term and I would like to sell the car now before I invest in its long term ownership for me. I would then keep my eye out for the right car at the right time (ie, after I build a garage extension where I can keep it, rather than continuing to pay storage fees).

If you're interested, let's talk. If you're not, or you don't like the price, or you don't like the thought that I could possibly make a few grand on buying and selling a car, just move on, please.

------------------
Anthony

www.DriveFasterNow.com

m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2021 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm sorry you guys are having such a hard time understanding this. I suggested that you read the comments in the auction, but it doesn't seem that you've taken the time to do that. BaT explains exactly what happened and you can see the other bidder's discontent. He was a real bidder who was willing to pay the full value of the car. Go look at the comments and then tell me if you still don't understand what happened.

I willingly bid on the car. I had a max number. I expected the car to sell for far more than that. I lucked out due to a technical glitch on the other bidder's end. His and the seller's loss was my gain.

I legitimately purchased the car. It wasn't a "shill bid" (nor were the other bidders'). I own the car, right here in my garage. I'm not fully committed (yet) to keeping the car long term and I would like to sell the car now before I invest in its long term ownership for me. I would then keep my eye out for the right car at the right time (ie, after I build a garage extension where I can keep it, rather than continuing to pay storage fees).

If you're interested, let's talk. If you're not, or you don't like the price, or you don't like the thought that I could possibly make a few grand on buying and selling a car, just move on, please.

I think they are all just trying to frustrate you into just keeping the car and having a good time with it. Personally i understand what you're saying, you paid $15,100 on the bid, then added 5% for BAT fee's which is $755 more, so then you were up to nearly 16k, plus probably $800-1000 to have it shipped, so $17k now, and some good t-top seals i'm sure set you back anywhere from $500-1500 depending on how desperate you were for them. so you're into the car for $18,000 or so plus taxes i'm assuming. you're willing to let it go for $21000 (i'm assuming possibly a bit negotiable as well) and everyone here is loosing their **** about you "possibly" making a profit if possible...... I think you paid a fair price for it and what fiero's with its condition are selling for currently. Sure you may make some money on it, but i figure you'll break even at best. I hope you come out ahead, but if not, Enjoy the car! you wont find another one like it anytime soon.

Z3SpdDmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2021 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Z3SpdDmnSend a Private Message to Z3SpdDmnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by m0sh_man:
I think they are all just trying to frustrate you into just keeping the car and having a good time with it. Personally i understand what you're saying, you paid $15,100 on the bid, then added 5% for BAT fee's which is $755 more, so then you were up to nearly 16k, plus probably $800-1000 to have it shipped, so $17k now, and some good t-top seals i'm sure set you back anywhere from $500-1500 depending on how desperate you were for them. so you're into the car for $18,000 or so plus taxes i'm assuming. you're willing to let it go for $21000 (i'm assuming possibly a bit negotiable as well) and everyone here is loosing their **** about you "possibly" making a profit if possible...... I think you paid a fair price for it and what fiero's with its condition are selling for currently. Sure you may make some money on it, but i figure you'll break even at best. I hope you come out ahead, but if not, Enjoy the car! you wont find another one like it anytime soon.

Thanks for understanding! Shipping was actually double that ($2k) since it was enclosed, but the P-seals were less.
I'm really enjoying the other car I recently picked up and, with my racing schedule and the lack of space, I know that its going to be tough to really get maximum enjoyment out of the Fiero right now. There ARE other low mile 88 GT 5-spds out there for those who are willing to pay for the good examples, so I'm not worried about getting another one down the road. With prices climbing, I'm expecting I'll need to actually pay more in another year or two, but that's ok. I'll have the space for it, the attention to give it, and I'll get the color combo that really pleases my heart.

------------------
Anthony

www.DriveFasterNow.com

PFF
System Bot
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2021 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by m0sh_man:

I agree.
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post03-19-2021 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's a shame the other guy who couldn't get his bid in isn't interested.
jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2021 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still no explination as to why he was bidding in the first place if he didnt really want to buy the car....................................... hes basically said that the other guy was suppose to win the bid but due to a computer glitch that didnt happen. how did he know the other guy was bidding?? does he know the other guy?? why did he bid 15100 if he didnt want to buy it?? as an ex cop this whole story smells like a bad case of bullshit. its a great car, at a decent price for 15100. but i feel like im buying a car from a shady used car dealership feeding me a line of crap.

[This message has been edited by jjd2296 (edited 03-19-2021).]

cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2021 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why can't we just let the owner sell his car? Who cares what he paid for it? It's irrelevant and nobody's business.

Jeff, you bought OEM quarter windows for less than half of what you sold them to me for. Do I care? No. It is his car, how he acquired it or how much he paid for it is completely not relevant to the asking price.

Good luck with the sale!
jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2021 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man here we go. Cam, read the thread. I’m not slagging the price just the story. Makes no sense
reinhart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2021 05:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beautiful car.

I had a few interesting observations when looking over the pics:

1) The rear fascia VIN tag is in the top right of the license plate area, right where the top right bolt goes through the license plate. I've never seen a
Fiero with a VIN sticker there. My Fieros all have/had them in the center of that license plate area.

2) Cringe moment....looking at the way the service lift contact points are positioned in the front. The rear points are on the frame rails but the front lift points are on the floorpan with one right on the brake line. You'd think a collector would be as paranoid as I am when taking the car in to make sure they lift it correctly.You might want to check that area for damage but with it being in the front you might luck out with the Fiero being rear heavy of course.
Skybax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2021 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Normally I would stay out of discussions like this as I'd rather be an observer 99% of the time, but this is a rare exception because I think its bad for our young readers who should be learning from this. Disclaimer, I mean no offense or disrespect to the seller, I'm just stating the facts...

I bought this car "by mistake"...

Actually you didn't, you bid on an auction and won because you were the highest bidder, regardless who else bids, or how much they bid, or what malfunctioned, and so on.

There was a technical glitch on the end of the other bidder and his bid didn't go through. It stopped well short of what it should have sold for!

Happens every day on eBay, you are playing the "what if game" and that doesn't work in the real world, you are only responsible for your bid and it doesn't matter what other people do or don't do.

The other bidder would've gone over $20k if it wasn't for the technical glitch. I was fully expecting it to.

Again, there are auctions on BaT every day that people expect cars to do $20k and they do $35k or vise-versa, that is the whole concept of an auction environment, nobody has a crystal ball.

I was essentially bidding up to what I considered to be a "silly good" deal. It's not so dissimilar to a dealer buying a car at wholesale.

From following the auction prices on the '88 GT's over the last couple years, I thought $16k (plus the buyer's fee and shipping) was a crazy good deal for a southern 1-owner t-top GT 5-spd in this condition. When it stopped at $15,100, I was astounded.

Remember you are talking to a well established Fiero Community on this forum. What somebody is willing to pay for a car will vary from person so person, and what people consider to be wholesale will vary from person to person. So a crazy-good deal to somebody might be fair market value to somebody else. I would consider this 1988 GT 5-speed with 3k miles recently sold on BaT for $15k to be a good deal... https://bringatrailer.com/l...pontiac-fiero-gt-17/

Except I'm telling you what I paid. I could have just as well kept that all to myself and listed the car. I'm trying to be transparent with this community.

Auction results (BaT, eBay, Mecum, Etc) are all public information so it's not too difficult to find info on specialty cars for sale, the only time it is difficult is if it was in private hands for a long time and not advertised at all.

He was a real bidder who was willing to pay the full value of the car.

The "full value" of any car is what somebody is wiling to pay for it in the present moment.

I willingly bid on the car. I had a max number. I expected the car to sell for far more than that.

That "max number" is a Proxy-Bid and should be the amount you're comfortable with regardless what the other factors are.

I bought a Volvo through an auction, regretted the purchase, sold it 6 weeks later for a $1500 loss, valuable learning experience.

Your Fiero looks like a nice car and I'm sure you will find a buyer for it who is willing to pay a fair price.

[This message has been edited by Skybax (edited 03-20-2021).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2021 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Man here we go. Cam, read the thread. I’m not slagging the price just the story. Makes no sense

...and did you read the auction comments?
Sounds like the whole thing went down exactly like he said.

Also sounds like he got a car for a very good price, but had second thoughts regarding its purchase. (Buyers remorse, anyone?)
I've also bought cars that don't "speak to my soul". So I get it.
And just because he got a good price doesn't mean he can't try to sell it for what it's worth. Or what someone may pay.
Jeebus...

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-21-2021).]

jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2021 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just want to be clear. I never said the price was not reasonable. It’s the story that has me questioning the whole thing.
Z3SpdDmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2021 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Z3SpdDmnSend a Private Message to Z3SpdDmnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think everyone took my "by mistake" comment way too literally. I was bidding with full knowledge and acceptance of what I was doing. I just didn't expect to get it. As I've told this story to friends over the last 2 months, I start with "I bought a car by mistake", just to get a rise out of people. The first thing people ask is, "how do you buy a car 'by mistake'?". And then I tell the story, and people get it and laugh. Maybe the jest it lost in text.

My buddy made an video interview of my Fiero experience, just after taking delivery of the car. I'm getting ready to upload it and I'll post the link here, if anyone is interested.

------------------
Anthony

www.DriveFasterNow.com

[This message has been edited by Z3SpdDmn (edited 03-21-2021).]

PFF
System Bot
Z3SpdDmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2021 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Z3SpdDmnSend a Private Message to Z3SpdDmnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think everyone took my "by mistake" comment way too literally. I was bidding with full knowledge and acceptance of what I was doing. I just didn't expect to get it. As I've told this story to friends over the last 2 months, I start with "I bought a car by mistake", just to get a rise out of people. The first thing people ask is, "how do you buy a car 'by mistake'?". And then I tell the story, and people get it and laugh. Maybe the jest it lost in text.

My buddy made an video interview of my Fiero experience, just after taking delivery of the car. I'm getting ready to upload it and I'll post the link here, if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQFQvGeOuhM

------------------
Anthony

www.DriveFasterNow.com

Z3SpdDmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2021 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Z3SpdDmnSend a Private Message to Z3SpdDmnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Z3SpdDmn

162 posts
Member since Jan 2011

Originally posted by sourmash:
It's a shame the other guy who couldn't get his bid in isn't interested.

Believe me, if I had any way of contacting him, I would. His contact information is not available to me or the seller that I bought it from.

Originally posted by Skybax:
Remember you are talking to a well established Fiero Community on this forum. What somebody is willing to pay for a car will vary from person so person, and what people consider to be wholesale will vary from person to person. So a crazy-good deal to somebody might be fair market value to somebody else. I would consider this 1988 GT 5-speed with 3k miles recently sold on BaT for $15k to be a good deal... https://bringatrailer.com/l...pontiac-fiero-gt-17/

I agree! Crazy! If you look at the comments, the last one is mine. I would've bid on that one. It went cheap for the miles (imo).

------------------
Anthony

www.DriveFasterNow.com

[This message has been edited by Z3SpdDmn (edited 03-21-2021).]

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2021 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd hardly consider buying a car and selling it 2 months later as a flip. It was an open auction that you lucked out on. Anyone could have outbid you.
If you got it for $10k from some old lady on craigslist and try to sell it before you get it home for $15k, that's a flip.

I completely understand telling people you bought it by "mistake". I bought a boat a few years back on eBay. I thought I'd be outbid for sure. I won and had to drive 8 hours to get it.

Just to get it straight, on BaT, when you bid with little time remaining, it adds 2 minutes to the close of the auction?
Then why wait til the last possible second? Bid with a few minutes to cushion any internet lag or connectivity issues.
I've been on the losing end of auctions that I missed due to internet issues. it sucks, but it was my own fault.

I just looked on BaT, they call it sniping protection.
*Sniping protection extends the auction clock by two minutes each time a bid is placed in the auction’s final moments. The auction isn’t over until two full minutes have elapsed since the highest bid was placed.

Nice car and good luck with the sale.

------------------
SSFiero@Aol.com

Z3SpdDmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2021 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Z3SpdDmnSend a Private Message to Z3SpdDmnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KissMySSFiero:
I'd hardly consider buying a car and selling it 2 months later as a flip. It was an open auction that you lucked out on. Anyone could have outbid you.
If you got it for $10k from some old lady on craigslist and try to sell it before you get it home for $15k, that's a flip.

I completely understand telling people you bought it by "mistake". I bought a boat a few years back on eBay. I thought I'd be outbid for sure. I won and had to drive 8 hours to get it.

Just to get it straight, on BaT, when you bid with little time remaining, it adds 2 minutes to the close of the auction?
Then why wait til the last possible second? Bid with a few minutes to cushion any internet lag or connectivity issues.
I've been on the losing end of auctions that I missed due to internet issues. it sucks, but it was my own fault.

I just looked on BaT, they call it sniping protection.
*Sniping protection extends the auction clock by two minutes each time a bid is placed in the auction’s final moments. The auction isn’t over until two full minutes have elapsed since the highest bid was placed.

Nice car and good luck with the sale.

Thanks. You're correct about the sniping protection. There is no benefit to waiting to the last second. So, the other bidder's clock must've been off by more than a few seconds! I was already raising my eyebrows when it got down to a minute, wondering why he was waiting.

------------------
Anthony

www.DriveFasterNow.com

reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2021 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Curious if you sold this or what your plan is now.
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2021 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm not a "flipper". I lost my 22k mile '88 GT in an accident last April (here's the car) and I've remained open to getting another. I'd bid on a few others, but they went for more than I was willing to pay. Because I had too many cars already, I was essentially bidding up to what I considered to be a "silly good" deal. It's not so dissimilar to a dealer buying a car at wholesale. Except I'm telling you what I paid. I could have just as well kept that all to myself and listed the car. I'm trying to be transparent with this community. I'm not sure why it's implied that it's ok for dealers to make money, but not an individual who happened to buy a car very "right".

Anthony,
Pretty sure i either met you at the 35th in Indy... or at Matt's house in Cincinnati, or maybe even both. Sorry to hear your black GT got totaled. That car looked great. I should have bought that when you were looking to sell.

Good luck if you are still trying to sell it!

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Modified stock air canister and base to 3.5 inch for 3800na

fierojp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2021 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierojpClick Here to visit fierojp's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierojpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQFQvGeOuhM

I enjoyed your video story. Thanks for sharing.

That looks like a great car you have. Best of luck selling it for full market value.

Who cares if it is a flip or not a flip. I'm sure it is not worth the hassle of buying/selling/storing/fixing/shipping just to make a couple thousand bucks.
Z3SpdDmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2021 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Z3SpdDmnSend a Private Message to Z3SpdDmnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MulletproofMonk:
Anthony,
Pretty sure i either met you at the 35th in Indy... or at Matt's house in Cincinnati, or maybe even both. Sorry to hear your black GT got totaled. That car looked great. I should have bought that when you were looking to sell.

Good luck if you are still trying to sell it!

Hey Brian, I think it was both!
Thanks!

------------------
Anthony

www.DriveFasterNow.com

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2021 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

agreed, hes a flipper. Who bids 15100 with no expectation of actually buying it?? this doesnt make sense

What he paid isn't any of your business. Walmart doesn't disclose that to you.
cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2021 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

What he paid isn't any of your business. Walmart doesn't disclose that to you.

Exactly. Completely irrelevant. If my grandpa sells me his mint 1968 Corvette for $500, I should sell it for roughly the same? Or sell it for whatever the market will bring? How much a person paid for something is completely irrelevant and not any of the buyer's business.

PFF
System Bot
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2021 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

Exactly. Completely irrelevant. If my grandpa sells me his mint 1968 Corvette for $500, I should sell it for roughly the same? Or sell it for whatever the market will bring? How much a person paid for something is completely irrelevant and not any of the buyer's business.

A large part of the reason I left the Fiero community. Calling the guy a shill bidder? He paid for his bid. He as far as I can tell didn't go in cahoots with the seller. This thread is absurd. Buy it or don't.
Z3SpdDmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2023 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Z3SpdDmnSend a Private Message to Z3SpdDmnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I happened to be back here in the forum today and thought I'd provide an update. If you watch the video linked up a few posts, you'll see that my uncle had a Fiero when I was a kid and that's what lit the flame. Since I didn't have room for it, he agreed to care for it for a while. First, he and my parents came to visit us in Ann Arbor and I organized a Fiero Club drive around here, including Car and Driver's "10 Best" driving loop, and we had a great time. A couple weeks later, my cousin visited and towed the car out to my uncle, outside of Rochester, NY. He enjoyed it casually for 2 seasons.

Thanksgiving week of last year (2022), a Fiero aficionado from PA responded to a fb comment where I indicated that I'd be willing to sell the car. The price had actually gone up slightly since this post, but he agreed that it was fair. He knew this entire back story on the car already! Since I happened to be in Rochester that week, he drove up, checked it out, and we sealed the deal. He picked it up that weekend and we met a couple weeks later to swap out the aftermarket wheels/tires I had put on it for the originals I had at home. He even got me a little parting gift (see the mug in the photos)! =D He's loving it and I'll see him and the car again at the 40th Anniversary celebration later this year. Brian will be a great caretaker for the car for the foreseeable future.

With that all said, the only reason I wasn't in love with this car is that I really, really, want Beachwood interior. So, if anyone knows of an '88 GT 5-speed with Beachwood in excellent condition for sale, please let me know! Super low mileage isn't critical if it is in great shape. I prefer a slick top or sunroof to the t-tops and would love leather, but I could flex on those.

Thanks for the entertaining commentary here. I'll be at the 40th Anniversary at some point, hopefully with my Forever Fiero, and hope to see you guys there. I may be involved in the track event at M1, so look for me and my business, Drive Faster Now, there.

------------------
Anthony

Former '88 Fiero GT 5-spd T-Top - Red/Grey 23k mile BaT purchase
www.DriveFasterNow.com

[This message has been edited by Z3SpdDmn (edited 01-19-2023).]

Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2023 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice to see a happy ending to this! I'm glad you found a buyer who understood the value of the car and the history of how you got it!

See you at the 40th!
cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2023 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for sharing a nice ending. Glad to see the car found a good home

I have a mint 88 GT with beechwood interior... no sunroof/ no T top. Exactly what I love. I don''t think I will ever sell it

Good luck with your search!
bergertime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2023 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bergertimeSend a Private Message to bergertimeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome story with a great ending. I saw this one listed and had thought about getting it, but went a different route. https://www.facebook.com/ma...ode=messenger_banner
02greens10

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2023 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 02greens10Send a Private Message to 02greens10Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are interested I got an 88 GT, black with beech, and leather. 66k rust free. Sunroof, loaded except the performance sound but I got the parts to add it except the amp.

5 speed as well, clear title, gold wheels. AC all new with 134a, all new coolant hoses from Rodney, new ignition tune up, updated speakers.

Pm your number for pictures, I can't post them here.

[This message has been edited by 02greens10 (edited 01-27-2023).]

Brian D

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2023 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian DSend a Private Message to Brian DEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love that pic Anthony, we look good. Glad you liked the mug Just saw this thread.

The car is in good hands, I've been fixing up the few things she needed. Shes not perfect, but looks pretty damn good. She will be at Carlisle this summer. Not sure which car I'll bring to the 40th. If I am able to bring both she will make an appearance there as well. She is a bit of a local celebrity now. I had her in downtown York, PA last weekend and parked on the street in front of my favorite restaurant in Continental Square. I walked a block away to meet some friends. When I came back a few hours later, two of the servers came running out and couldn't wait to tell me about all of the people that stopped to take pics of the car, and the group of women that got their picture taken with the car. I went to get something out of the trunk and just then two younger guys in tuners pull over across the street yelling out their window that they want to come over and take pics of the GT. They asked if I had an IG account for the car. I did not, but now I do. Anyway, she's home now. Happy ending to the story.

Folks, Anthony is a good guy. He really took a beating on this thread. I get the skepticism, but he doesn't deserve it. Help him find a car before the 40th!
Z3SpdDmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2023 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Z3SpdDmnSend a Private Message to Z3SpdDmnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for piping in, Brian! I'm so happy the way things worked out and it is a bonus to have made a friend in the process. See you this summer in Pontiac!

Oh, and things are aligning between 02greens10 and myself on his car that he mentioned a couple posts up!

As previously mentioned, my buddy made a nice video about this story after I bought the red car. Maybe we'll do another one this summer with my "Forever Fiero!"
https://youtu.be/KQFQvGeOuhM

------------------
Anthony

Former '88 Fiero GT 5-spd - Black/Beechwood 21k miles (RIP)
Former '88 Fiero GT 5-spd T-Top - Red/Grey 23k mile BaT purchase
www.DriveFasterNow.com

[This message has been edited by Z3SpdDmn (edited 02-21-2023).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock