Quest For 88 SE Cradle by cmd88
Started on: 03-14-2021 12:12 PM
Replies: 21 (602 views)
Last post by: reinhart on 05-02-2021 07:52 AM
cmd88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2021 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmd88Send a Private Message to cmd88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello.

I need an engine cradle for my 88 Fiero SE 2.5 automatic.

Thanks.

cmd88
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2021 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
no such thing as an 88 SE, what you have is an 88 coupe, and being an automatic your a touch more limited on the cradle, HOWEVER, any 1988 cradle will work for you if you get the automatic transmission mounts from a v6 car as well. you need the two rubber mounts and the two metal brackets that hold the transmission to the mounts. otherwise the transmission is the same, and the cradle is the same. But for some crazy reason GM decided that since the 4cyl auto's didnt have much power that they only needed the one transmission mount on the end of the cradle. even though it would have been cheaper to just continue using the same cradle and mounts at the v6 formula and GT models. the v6 style transmission mounts and brackets should be really cheap as they are the same 85-87 as well as 88

matthew
cmd88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2021 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmd88Send a Private Message to cmd88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the reply. "Coupe" is duly noted.

Would an 88 GT cradle work with brackets etc. from my old cradle?

Thanks!

cmd88
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2021 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah it will work

It would probably help if you posted at least the state you are in.
cmd88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2021 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmd88Send a Private Message to cmd88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Marion, Indiana

cmd88
cmd88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2021 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmd88Send a Private Message to cmd88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
########## Temporary hold on the request ##########

I may have found one at The Fiero Factory. Should know for sure by tomorrow or Friday.

Thanks!

cmd88
Larry Hubbert

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2021 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Larry HubbertSend a Private Message to Larry HubbertEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have 88 and pre 88 cradles on hand here in Elfers, FL 34680 if interested email me at LHUBBERT2@BRIGHTHOUSE.COM for HiRes pix and prices. Thanks.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2021 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cmd88:

########## Temporary hold on the request ##########

I may have found one at The Fiero Factory. Should know for sure by tomorrow or Friday.

Thanks!

cmd88

I'm sure you'll get ripped off by the Fiero Factory like every one else who buys from them. Be sure to give Larry (who posted before me) an email since he offered you one.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 03-18-2021).]

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2021 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

I'm sure you'll get ripped off by the Fiero Factory like every one else who buys from them. Be sure to give Larry (who posted before me) an email since he offered you one.

I thought they got better because new owner, no?
Larry Hubbert

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2021 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Larry HubbertSend a Private Message to Larry HubbertEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Attached are a couple of pix of the 88 cradles I have available along with some of the rear suspension components. All of these are completely Inspected, Pressure Washed prior to Sand Blasting to bare metal, Reinspected and then given a light coat of spray paint for protection against surface rust forming prior to being wrapped for inside storage and then shipping. I have cradles and suspension components available for immediate sale. I also have a good inventory of body and interior parts available for all years. If interested please email me at LHUBBERT2@BRIGHTHOUSE.COM for HiRes pix and prices. Thank you, have a great day and most of all please stay safe..

[img]https://images.fiero.nl/userimages/Larry%2520Hubbert/88-Fiero-Rear-Suspension-Links-002a.JPG
[/img]
Larry Hubbert

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2021 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Larry HubbertSend a Private Message to Larry HubbertEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Larry Hubbert

561 posts
Member since Nov 2015
Sorry these photos somehow went missing
y
PFF
System Bot
cmd88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2021 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cmd88Send a Private Message to cmd88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The cradle looks really nice!

Did you not get my e-mails?

cmd88
m0sh_man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2021 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skywurz:

yeah it will work

It would probably help if you posted at least the state you are in.

your brackets wont work from your transmission (the engine bracket will work, however all 84-86 automatic transmission brackets with the rubber mounts will bolt right in (front and rear mounted on the cradle) and the 87-88 v6 auto mounts will work as well with their rubber bushings. For some reason the 87-88 4cyl auto ONLY used a center mounted transmission mount instead of a front/rear mount like all other years/makes/models. so yes, an 88GT cradle will work and an 88 formula cradle will work, just get the metal auto transmission mounts and rubber mounts that go with it. (should be absolutely dirt cheap anywhere because they are so common)
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2021 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by m0sh_man:

your brackets wont work from your transmission (the engine bracket will work, however all 84-86 automatic transmission brackets with the rubber mounts will bolt right in (front and rear mounted on the cradle) and the 87-88 v6 auto mounts will work as well with their rubber bushings. For some reason the 87-88 4cyl auto ONLY used a center mounted transmission mount instead of a front/rear mount like all other years/makes/models. so yes, an 88GT cradle will work and an 88 formula cradle will work, just get the metal auto transmission mounts and rubber mounts that go with it. (should be absolutely dirt cheap anywhere because they are so common)

He specifically asked

Originally posted by cmd88:
Would an 88 GT cradle work with brackets etc. from my old cradle?
cmd88

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2021 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I thought they got better because new owner, no?

No, the new owner bought the place and stuffs a premium price on everything....even though most of it has been sitting in the weeds for years rotting away.
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2021 02:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

No, the new owner bought the place and stuffs a premium price on everything....even though most of it has been sitting in the weeds for years rotting away.

This is news to me. In the short time I've owned The Fiero Factory I have lowered the prices on everything, added a dozen or so "new" cars to the inventory and spent an inordinate amount of time on the phone answering various questions (most of the time not resulting in a sale). I don't "rip people off" or "stuff a premium price on everything"....many times I send parts out for free or just for the price of shipping.

To clarify things.....I am the 3rd owner and entered into an agreement to purchase The Fiero Factory in July 2019. I took full ownership of it in July 2020. Maybe you are unaware of this fact....not sure.

m0sh_man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2021 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

then the answer is no, Someone correct me if i'm wrong but his 88 4cyl auto cradle uses a single transmission mount with a single mount bracket, You told him YES it would work with his existing brackets but it wont, the 4cyl cradle's with auto trans in 1988 had another bracket welded to the cradle to acccomodate the single transmission mount. it was exclusive to the 88 4cyl auto cradle. Personally id rather run the dual mounts like all v6 cars run 85-88 on the 88GT cradle but thats just me. it's been over 15 years since i've had a 88 4cyl auto cradle in my sights so maybe i'm completely off base here. but from what i remember there's a seperate mount welded to the cradle for the 4cyl with th125c transmission (automatic)

this thread has a picture of an 88 4cyl auto cradle with the transmission mount for photo proof

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/137163.html

and this one has FieroGuru also pointing out that the 88 4cyl auto cradle is different only in the mount bracket area.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...120111-2-112747.html

even though it wouldnt work for his purpose anyway, they did the same thing to the 1987 model 4cyl automatic fiero's.

Now if you're referring to cutting the metal bracket off the old cradle and welding it to the new one then yes, it would technically work, However it's way more work than needed when you can just buy the two rubber mounts for about $30 from rock auto and the brackets for another 20-30 bucks from someone here on the forums and have new mounts and a stronger setup.

[This message has been edited by m0sh_man (edited 03-22-2021).]

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2021 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by m0sh_man:

then the answer is no, Someone correct me if i'm wrong but his 88 4cyl auto cradle uses a single transmission mount with a single mount bracket, You told him YES it would work with his existing brackets but it wont, the 4cyl cradle's with auto trans in 1988 had another bracket welded to the cradle to acccomodate the single transmission mount. it was exclusive to the 88 4cyl auto cradle. Personally id rather run the dual mounts like all v6 cars run 85-88 on the 88GT cradle but thats just me. it's been over 15 years since i've had a 88 4cyl auto cradle in my sights so maybe i'm completely off base here. but from what i remember there's a seperate mount welded to the cradle for the 4cyl with th125c transmission (automatic)

this thread has a picture of an 88 4cyl auto cradle with the transmission mount for photo proof

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/137163.html

and this one has FieroGuru also pointing out that the 88 4cyl auto cradle is different only in the mount bracket area.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...120111-2-112747.html

even though it wouldnt work for his purpose anyway, they did the same thing to the 1987 model 4cyl automatic fiero's.

Now if you're referring to cutting the metal bracket off the old cradle and welding it to the new one then yes, it would technically work, However it's way more work than needed when you can just buy the two rubber mounts for about $30 from rock auto and the brackets for another 20-30 bucks from someone here on the forums and have new mounts and a stronger setup.

Holy crud, id never heard of that. Sure enough after digging through the parts book for 30 something min.

Thanks for pointing this out, you learn something new everyday i guess.

[This message has been edited by skywurz (edited 03-23-2021).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2021 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfiero:
This is news to me. In the short time I've owned The Fiero Factory I have lowered the prices on everything, added a dozen or so "new" cars to the inventory and spent an inordinate amount of time on the phone answering various questions (most of the time not resulting in a sale). I don't "rip people off" or "stuff a premium price on everything"....many times I send parts out for free or just for the price of shipping.

To clarify things.....I am the 3rd owner and entered into an agreement to purchase The Fiero Factory in July 2019. I took full ownership of it in July 2020. Maybe you are unaware of this fact....not sure.

I was 100% unaware of this. I'm glad the business is in good hands now. I know you have been a Fiero enthusiast for many years. You should make a separate thread announcing this since a ton of people gave up when Jeremy bought the place from Ed.
cmd88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2021 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmd88Send a Private Message to cmd88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I now know 2 people NOT to buy Fiero parts from.

Buyer Beware!

cmd88

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2021 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
None of the cradles that Larry posted will work with your existing brackets.
The light gray one doesn't even have the engine mount shelf, under the crank pulley.

With that said, any "regular" (even from a GT) 88 cradle will work if you use the V6 tranny mounts and brackets. They should be commonly available.
You can then remove that goofy uni-mount bracket from your trans.

And yeah... mrfiero is the new owner of the Fiero Factory parts business. I wouldn't hesitate to check them out.
PFF
System Bot
reinhart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2021 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Re the new and improved ownership of the Fiero Factory, I sent a very specific request to them on a fairly high priced item exactly 11 days ago and have just gotten a bunch of come and gone dates of when I can get a few pictures sent to me. I've sent about 5 friendly reminders and each time am told we'll get to taking a few pictures in X days. The part in question can be photographed easily (no removal of anything to take the pictures and no getting dirty (no climbing under the car or anything like that). Literally just the time to walk to a car and take a photo on a few different cars and send it to me. The price I was quoted is extremely high and I would expect the customer service to be high as well. Just my impression so far. I haven't dealt with FF since Ed left until now.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock