Second cradle for engine swap? by Napoleon_Tanerite
Started on: 12-27-2015 08:41 PM
Replies: 14 (538 views)
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 01-02-2016 01:49 PM
Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2015 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So my LONG TERM plans for my car include a 3800SC swap. When I say long term, I mean at least a year from now. Given my free time and mechanical skill, I expect the swap to take a while once I decide to get going on it. With this in mind, would it be worthwhile to invest in another cradle to mount the new engine on? My car is an 87GT, so I'm thinking build the swap on an 88 cradle and throw it all in together. Thoughts?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-27-2015 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want to swap over to the 88 cradle and suspension, then yes, you'll need to find a spare cradle to do the swap on.

I'd say just stick with the 87 setup though. Since 88 was the only year with the improved suspension, was the last year of production, and the year with the lowest production count, a good cradle can be harder to find (and more expensive when you do find one).
Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2015 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I might have an 88 base coupe (auto trans) nearby that I could get as a parts car for $500 or so. I'm just concerned it's not a great parts car to support my 87 GT 5sp. The only parts that I could see myself pulling from that car would be the cradle and other associated suspension parts. Other problem is the owner thinks a bit highly of that car. He was asking $1800 back in Sept when I came and attempted (and failed) to drive the car, and acted like i offended him when I offered him $500. The car is still sitting in his front yard, and I'm thinking of leaving a note with a standing offer of $300 "as is" and see if he ever bites.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-27-2015 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Napoleon_Tanerite:
I might have an 88 base coupe (auto trans) nearby that I could get as a parts car for $500 or so. I'm just concerned it's not a great parts car to support my 87 GT 5sp. The only parts that I could see myself pulling from that car would be the cradle and other associated suspension parts. Other problem is the owner thinks a bit highly of that car. He was asking $1800 back in Sept when I came and attempted (and failed) to drive the car, and acted like i offended him when I offered him $500. The car is still sitting in his front yard, and I'm thinking of leaving a note with a standing offer of $300 "as is" and see if he ever bites.

The auto cradle is different from the manual cradle, BTW, so will probably create a little more work for you to switch it to a manual, if you do end up getting that car.
Detainabull

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2015 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DetainabullSend a Private Message to DetainabullEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd def go with an extra cradle...can't tell you how many times I've wanted to move my car out of the way and thought oh wait...There's no wheels under it lol. I do have an 87 GT cradle laying around as a spare now. Give me a shout if your interested in it. I don't think I'll be needing it.
Dave E Bouy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2015 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

The auto cradle is different from the manual cradle, BTW, so will probably create a little more work for you to switch it to a manual, if you do end up getting that car.

Don't want to jack the thread but I didnt know there was a difference in cradles between auto and manual. How are they different and is this only an 88 thing, or does this affect all years?

D
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2015 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, we swapped from an auto to a manual, & didn't change cradles. I thought the only difference was the '88.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-28-2015 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dave E Bouy:
Don't want to jack the thread but I didnt know there was a difference in cradles between auto and manual. How are they different and is this only an 88 thing, or does this affect all years?
D

Not 100% sure if it's an 88-only issue, but OP brought the idea of using an 88 cradle in a pre-88, so it's worth mentioning, especially since the it was specifically mentioned that the target car is a manual and the 88 being looked at as a cradle donor is an auto.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2015 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 2nd cradle doesn't help much unless you know exactly where the engine/transmission will go without clearance issues to the chassis. If its tight enough that you need to perform multiple "test fits" then you need a donor chassis or you will need to pull the original cradle anyway. With a 3800, this isn't much of an issue but it is an issue for many other swaps.

The other "minor" issue is I like to finalize the mount location with the cradle & engine/transmission in the chassis so the drivetrain is level and square to the engine bay.

The 88 4 cyl auto cradle has a unique mount pad for the "mono" transmission mount. The cradle is still drilled for the V6 auto and manual transmission mount locations, so they are still interchangable... but are slightly different.

This is a crappy pic... but about 10 o clock from the center of the small wheel is the 4 cyl auto transmission mount bracket on the 88 cradle. This is one of my junk 88 cradles that I welded some angle and small wheels to it so I can roll a chassis around w/o the cradle.

Here is a better pick of an 88 4cyl auto cradle... notice the mount pad on the transmission side that is in about the same location as the stock engine mount location... just on the transmission side. If you look close at the pick, this cradle was using the V6 transmission mount setup vs. the 4 cyl auto mono mount:

Here is a V6 auto/Manual transmission 88 cradle:

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 12-28-2015).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2015 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:
The 88 4 cyl auto cradle has a unique mount pad for the "mono" transmission mount. The cradle is still drilled for the V6 auto and manual transmission mount locations, so they are still interchangable... but are slightly different.

Since the question wasn't asked, I'll go ahead and answer it anyway.
This additional "shelf" used for the Duke/automatic tranny configuration will not be in the way of most anything you are likely to do. It's just there. Can be removed or not.
(I'm really amazed that GM went to the trouble of making a special cradle and mounts for this, considering they used the conventional mounts for V6 cars.)
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2015 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buy the second cradle! It's the best thing ever. You can literally install everything on it, then slide it under when you have the old one out. I'm so glad I did.

------------------
1987 Fiero GTX 3800 Turbo... My Build, ST3 Cam, Lowered, Wheels, and pics enjoy!https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2015 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a question since I dont know. Does an 88 cradle bolt into an 84-87 body....? If not, might be smarter and easier to get another 87 cradle to work with.
Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2015 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I'm also seeking the suspension improvements that come with the 88 cradle, so this would kind of be a two-fer type upgrade. It would up the complexity of the job for sure, but you want to talk about having a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CAR when I'm done??
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-31-2015 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Just a question since I dont know. Does an 88 cradle bolt into an 84-87 body....? If not, might be smarter and easier to get another 87 cradle to work with.

It's not a direct bolt-in, but it's not difficult to mod the strut towers to mount the 88 cradle in. It's well documented how to do it.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've done 3- 3800 swaps. Every time, I used a second cradle. when you're done, sell your extra one (unless you are planning to do another.)
this way you can make Everything "New" ( cradle, suspension etc) Before it gets installed, and you can still use the car until you lift it to do the actual Swap. Swapping in the 3800 w/ cradle and harness is only a few hour job done this way !

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock