Front spindles by cmechmann
Started on: 03-21-2017 07:20 PM
Replies: 4 (521 views)
Last post by: cmechmann on 01-06-2018 08:40 PM
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2017 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Trying to size up for a brake upgrade. Trying to make it bolt on or near bolt on upgrade. With an aluminum 48mm piston caliper and 10.75" vented rotor.
But need a set of front spindles to measure off of.
They don't need to have caliper brackets or shields.
Around the Baltimore area.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mytime

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2017 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MytimeSend a Private Message to MytimeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am not sure but I may have a pair of pre '88 spindles tucked into the parts bin. I can take a look this evening.
Are you looking to purchase or borrow? Will rent for beer!
Doug
cmechmann

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2017 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pre 88s
It would most likely be to purchase. Cheaply as possible, due to some light machining may be needed. Crazy Ray's would have been cheap enough, but I haven't seen Chevettes or Fieros in 3 of their lots for over 2 years.

OK this would be for a late 90s to mid 2000s S10 or Blazer rear caliper with Subaru Imprezza or 2001-2008 Toyota Corolla,Matrix,Vibe rotor.

By the way. We need to set up another Baltimore Co. run.
My car has had to be my daily driver now. Go from in town to Timonium 5 days a week. The 3800SC has been taken out, but a 2005 3800n/a replaced it. I miss it a little.
Still have the SC setting around, but is worn. No knocks but worn.
Mytime

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2017 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MytimeSend a Private Message to MytimeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I finally dug them out, yup I do have a pair.
Taken to PM
cmechmann

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2018 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Original post for this was https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/139285.html

Now that it is winter and things should be slowing down at work, I should be able to reawake the work I am doing on this thread.
A few updates.
I was able too get a set of spindles and mount the brackets on them. Had to drill the threads of the spindles and tap the mounting holes of the caliper brackets. Found that to be easier than I thought it would.
But also found 2 issues.
First. I thought that I had the dimensions correct, but it seems that rotors size is going to be 265mm(10.25") not 282. Still better than OE but not as much as I hoped.
The spindle castings are a little different from right to left. The "new" brackets will be mounted on the outward facing area of the spindles. I had machined only about .010 of material on the outward surface just to get the sand cast surface a little flatter. I used a drill press with a small abrasive disk to make sure it was perpendicular to the spindle. While doing so found that the castings are 1.5mm different from where the inner bearing seat and the bracket casting bosses for the caliper bracket from one side to the other.
So when I space the brackets, one side will need a 6.5mm and the other a 8mm spacer washer. Not a big deal.
Found that the rotor that I would need will be the Subaru Imprezza non turbo rotor. But will have to turn about 1mm from the surface.
If I could afford the nice aluminum hubs that the offset could be moved in 12mm, I could use the Cavalier and Nbody 10.25 rotor. With out the offset difference, larger spacers will cause the brake hose to touch the spindle with new pads. Unless I grind some of the material away between the bracket mounting holes. Or grind off some of the banjo bolt part of the brake line.

Should be able to set up again and show pics in the next few weeks.

[This message has been edited by cmechmann (edited 01-06-2018).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock