Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall
  Automatic headlight kits now available. Add a modern touch to your 30 year old car (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Automatic headlight kits now available. Add a modern touch to your 30 year old car by seajai
Started on: 07-14-2016 12:40 AM
Replies: 76 (5043 views)
Last post by: rbell2915 on 10-22-2023 10:23 AM
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2016 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have made a plug and play kit to add automatic headlights to the Fiero. It uses a DRL module and light sensor from a 1998-2003 Pontiac Grand Prix along with a harness I designed and built. The module and sensor are pulled from a donor vehicle, the wiring and relay are all new. The kit includes the harness, relay, module, sensor, and sensor mounting bracket. I am selling these for $70 shipped in the US and $85 shipped to Canada.

Available options
1) I can add and on/off switch to keep the headlights from coming on automatically (the lights still operate manually). Add $5.00 to the price
2) I can add a wire to the module which has power in daytime mode, this can be used to power auxiliary lighting for daytime running lights. Add $3 to the price

Let me know if you have converted to fixed headlights, I will build you a custom kit without the relay. The relay is only needed for the operation of the headlight doors.

Fall 2017 update!

I have made a few changes to the kit. There is now 3D printed connector for the harness that plugs into the existing headlight switch connector and a 3D printed plug for the power wire that plugs into the "IGN" cavity of the fuse panel. Also the light sensor bracket has been redesigned to add a wider gluing area and is also 3D printed. All 3 of these pieces have been printed using Nylon for strength and durability.

Also, the harness that goes up to the headlight switch and the harness for the light sensor are now run through a woven polyester wire loom for added protection.

A video showing the operation of the system:

The sensor bracket is glued to the underside of the instrument cluster shroud:

The view of the sensor through the windshield:

I function test each kit to make sure everything works and the module switches the lights on and off:

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 10-06-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2016 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What happens when you park the car in the dark? Is it ignition controlled?
Yannsky

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2016 04:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for YannskySend a Private Message to YannskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Viperine. Look the video
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2016 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by viperine:

What happens when you park the car in the dark? Is it ignition controlled?

Yes, with the key off the system is off, exactly like OEM.

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2016 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
$65 includes the harness, module and sensor?

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo, water/meth injection
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project
01 BMW 525i: daily driver

pastor Dennis

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2016 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pastor DennisClick Here to visit pastor Dennis's HomePageSend a Private Message to pastor DennisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great job, Seajai !

What's involved in the installation ?

Thanks,
Dennis
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2016 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
seajai....VERY NICE WORK!

I will be wanting a handful of these bad boys for my Fieros...going to have to figure out how I want to retro fit these sensor into my Fieros with G1 dashes as well.
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2016 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMaster88:

$65 includes the harness, module and sensor?

Yes, the kit includes the module, sensor, relay, and harness. The only thing you need is super glue to attach the sensor mount, a few zip ties, and a drill bit to make the hole for the sensor.

pastor Dennis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2016 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pastor DennisClick Here to visit pastor Dennis's HomePageSend a Private Message to pastor DennisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll take one.

Paypal?

pm me and thank you

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2016 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll take one also. Send me your PayPal.
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2016 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM's sent.
PFF
System Bot
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2016 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have a pm.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2016 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:

You have a pm.

Spoon

Replied

Lancer-AM

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2016 04:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lancer-AMSend a Private Message to Lancer-AMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great job. I was coding up an arduino to do this but may just pickup your kit and move one to the other things I want it to do.
BlackCherryGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2016 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackCherryGTSend a Private Message to BlackCherryGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great product.

I needed mine custom as my harness is pretty custom and as seajai lived "nearby" he offered to come by and customize my install. We had a good visit and I got to see his Chrysler powered Fiero....very nice.

Thanks for the products you provide to the community.

k
iksnilop

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2016 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for iksnilopSend a Private Message to iksnilopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
seajai, this is awesome. I'm planning to switch to flush-mount headlights and I was curious, would your harness need any modification to work well with those?
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2016 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by iksnilop:

seajai, this is awesome. I'm planning to switch to flush-mount headlights and I was curious, would your harness need any modification to work well with those?

If you are eliminating the headlight doors then the relay would not be needed. I could build you a kit without the white wire and relay. Everything else would stay the same.

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2016 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got my kit today. Should get it installed tomorrow. Everything looks very nice!
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2016 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMaster88:

Got my kit today. Should get it installed tomorrow. Everything looks very nice!

Looking forward to hearing how the install goes, PM sent.

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2016 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got it installed today. Installation was straight forward and the instructions were great. Everything works great! I should have taken pictures but didn't even think about it until now.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2016 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got my kit yesterday. Should get it installed next week. Everything looks swell !

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

PFF
System Bot
predmeister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2016 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for predmeisterSend a Private Message to predmeisterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
got mine and looking forward to a fun weekend project
retroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2016 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you able to auto-dim hi-beams?
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2016 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by retroman:

Are you able to auto-dim hi-beams?

No, the drl module will only turn the drl's and headlights on or off. Auto dimming high beams would require a forward facing sensor to see the oncoming headlights and some sort of relay to switch between hi/lo. The trouble would be in properly calibrating the sensor and the switching time delay. GM did it back in the 50's but supposedly it didn't work very well. Most newer cars would have the feature integrated into the computer so it would make for a tough retrofit into the Fiero.

seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2016 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone else gotten there kit installed? Still have a few available.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2016 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Drove my Fiero tonight for the first time with the kit. Was nice to not even have to worry about hitting the switch. They are on as soon as I turn the ignition on and off as soon as it's off. Thanks again!
StDraginFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2016 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StDraginFieroSend a Private Message to StDraginFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you take other forms of payment other than PayPal?
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2016 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by StDraginFiero:

Do you take other forms of payment other than PayPal?

Yes, you can send me a Postal money order. Contact me via PM and I will send you my address.

predmeister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2016 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for predmeisterSend a Private Message to predmeisterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
got mine in, works great.
pastor Dennis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pastor DennisClick Here to visit pastor Dennis's HomePageSend a Private Message to pastor DennisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great product. I received mine quite a while ago and just got around to putting it in this afternoon. Didn't take long and works great.
Thanks !

Dennis
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2016 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want one if they are still available.
PFF
System Bot
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2016 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They're still available. I have all the components to make them but I haven't sold one in a while so I don't have any built. Give me a few days to find my work bench and I'll get on put together for you.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post10-18-2016 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the idea, but not for my fiero..
not sure if the connectors that make it plug and play here are the same in a 86 SS..
I'd need to look , but can this be had with the wires extra long and one end not pre terminated??
As I'd rather put the sensor in the a pillar trim than cut a spotless dash.. and placement of the module most likely would be different..
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2016 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SS Monte? I'm sure I could make it work. The sensor needs to have maximum exposure for the system to work right, if you put it too far up or back in the A pillar trim the lights may come on while it's still light. Plus the sensor /connector are about an inch long so it may not fit. You can always put it in the defroster vent. I can also add a wire so you could run DRL's.

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 10-18-2016).]

LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2016 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I should know as long as I have owned a Fiero but the brake lights are turned on but dimmer when on at night I presume. Does this trigger these lights as well?
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2016 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes. Think of the kit as a 2nd hands free headlight switch with a photocell. Whatever lights come on with the headlight switch will come on when the module turns the headlights on.

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 10-18-2016).]

LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2016 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a reminder, no rush.
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2016 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will take one. PM me with your paypal address.
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2016 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pm sent. I'm still trying to get my garage rearranged so I can get 2 Fieros in for the winter. I will try and get some done soonly.
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2016 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump, I am ready when you are.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock