LOOKING FOR 3800 CONVERSION BRACKETS & PARTS by LostNotForgotton
Started on: 05-08-2015 10:40 AM
Replies: 10 (381 views)
Last post by: LostNotForgotton on 05-11-2015 11:10 AM
LostNotForgotton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LostNotForgottonClick Here to visit LostNotForgotton's HomePageSend a Private Message to LostNotForgottonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I’m going to be starting my 3800 project here soon. I bought a 99 Buick 3800sc from a fellow PFF member last January along with a 4t65-HD from an unknown vehicle. I bought a wiring harness and ECU for the 99 Buick on EBay in March so I think I’ve got all the vitals. This is my first 3800 conversion project so I’m currently trying to do the research on what I need as well as how to do it but will probably be asking a lot of questions too. I’m not one to fabricate my own parts so I’m looking to buy the brackets, conversion parts and axles from anyone who make them or has them to sell. I may entertain the idea of building my own axles if it’s not too difficult and someone can help walk me through the process. I do plan on doing my own wiring harness.

For anyone not familiar with me, I make Fiero ‘how-to’ videos on YouTube (www.YouTube.com/LostNotForgotton) and plan on doing a series of 3800 (series II) conversion videos for all who are not familiar with the conversion to use as a guide. It would be nice to do an axle video as well if it’s not difficult for a home mechanic to do. I’ll plug anyone who makes brackets or parts for me if they want to drive more business their way. With YouTube I average about $100 every two years in income so I definitely don’t make these videos for the money and it takes me a lot longer than normal to get through a project because I spend a lot of time moving lights and repositioning cameras as well as explaining what I’m doing before I do it. I make these videos to share knowledge and help keep Fiero’s alive. Anyone willing to give me any kind of price break would be really helpful for the budget as well as speeding up the process of starting the project. Let me know what parts you have or can make and what your asking price is and we’ll see if I can start picking up parts over the next few weeks/months. I’ve priced out parts already from West Coast Fiero and Rodney Dickman but I wanted to first source out to anyone willing to make parts at a competitive quality & price. My hope is to start filming in June or July on a second K frame and then start swapping the engine in around December or January.

Let me know what you have to sell.

------------------
87 Fiero GT 3.4 Pushrod with 7730 ECM & DIS
88 MERA #8013
85 Fiero SE with 3.1 pushrod
86 Fiero SE 2.8 stock
http://www.youtube.com/LostNotForgotton

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nothing to sell but glad you are tackling this. Your videos are immensely helpful to us newbs. I used several of them during my 3.4 swap. I'm sure the end result on this latest project will help even more aspiring 3800 owners.

------------------
1986 Fiero GT fastback SC3800 3.4 pulley, LS1 TB
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee with "big boy" 5.9 motor
1986 Honda Goldwing SEi 1200 fuel injected

Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fierorog is your man for 3800 conversion brackets!

------------------
===Always trying to find time to work on cars===
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"My mind spins like helicopter blades." -G. Rossdale
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
3800sc series 2 swap in progress
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Peugot 604 Intake manifold
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

IwannaIRM

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IwannaIRMSend a Private Message to IwannaIRMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tried and true Brand-X mounts available soon! Brand-X Fiero Mounts
LostNotForgotton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LostNotForgottonClick Here to visit LostNotForgotton's HomePageSend a Private Message to LostNotForgottonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IwannaIRM:

Tried and true Brand-X mounts available soon! Brand-X Fiero Mounts

Thanks! I will be following that thread and hopefully timing will work out so that I can possibly be one of the first customers.
LostNotForgotton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LostNotForgottonClick Here to visit LostNotForgotton's HomePageSend a Private Message to LostNotForgottonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

LostNotForgotton

186 posts
Member since Dec 2014

Originally posted by Grantman:

nothing to sell but glad you are tackling this. Your videos are immensely helpful to us newbs. I used several of them during my 3.4 swap. I'm sure the end result on this latest project will help even more aspiring 3800 owners.

I'm glad that you found some of my videos useful!! The 3.4 conversion is a great entry level conversion project to start off with. I know how you feel when it comes to wanting to upgrade your own car but don't want to get in over your head. I'm going through that now with the 3800 project. There just isn't a "3800 for dummy's" manual out there for me to read the step by step process and parts needed but if I can do it and get it to run then by golly I want everyone to try it! I've already started an Excel spreadsheet with parts, prices and links that will eventually be shared. My end goal is to either have a whole series of videos regarding the 3800 conversion process kind of like I did with the 3.4 or to make one long conversion video showing the project from start to finish. I haven't decided which way I'll do it yet but that's low on the list at the moment. I also plan on starting a build thread loaded with pics and explanations of what is going on in easy to understand english. I'm sure that they'll also be a lot of questions I'll be asking in the thread as well as the occasional video question linked in. Hopefully with the combination of videos and thread discussions newbie's will have the clearest understanding of the conversion process than ever!
Adjustso3

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2015 03:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you're looking for brackets get in touch with Fierorog. I know you said you might be doing your own harness but Fieroflyer did mine and it looks awesome.
Fierorog

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2015 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierorogSend a Private Message to FierorogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm here to help if I can. If you have any questions please call or email. I'm sending you an email. Thanks, Roger
Cell 319-939-1285
LostNotForgotton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LostNotForgottonClick Here to visit LostNotForgotton's HomePageSend a Private Message to LostNotForgottonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierorog:

I'm here to help if I can. If you have any questions please call or email. I'm sending you an email. Thanks, Roger
Cell 319-939-1285

PM sent. Thank!!

I did price out parts through West Coast Video and will use them to pick up any parts that I can't source out here. Does anyone build Axles? Does the different brackets made for the engine/transmission affect the position of the engine on the craddle which would cause someone to have to make axles differently? Meaning if someone bought brackets from WCF would they have to their axles as oppose to one's made by someone else because the transmission might sit differently?
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Axles from what I understand is easy. One side (outer) is Fiero. The inner side is for your model of trans (In your case 4t65E) then install new boots on them and install. I am SURE I am missing something this I am just going off the top of my head with.

As for length Im THINKING there are the same or close as the Fiero. (Im sure I may be wrong tho) I also seem to recall someone using Olds silhouette van axles?

[This message has been edited by htexans1 (edited 05-10-2015).]

LostNotForgotton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2015 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LostNotForgottonClick Here to visit LostNotForgotton's HomePageSend a Private Message to LostNotForgottonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I think you would use axles from the donor transmission and also axles from another vehicle (not the Fiero). The 4t65-HD is bigger than the TH125 so the axles lengths would most likely be shorter than the stock Fiero's. Plus if any of the brackets shift the drive train over slightly then that could also affect what axles to use. Is there a standard donor axle people use to build for the Fiero? I would obviously start by picking up axles for the 4t65-HD but what would the other donor axles be? Would the Silhouette be one and if so would that be the drivers side or passenger side?
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock