Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall
  Gauging Interest In Tail Light Lenses (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Gauging Interest In Tail Light Lenses by fierogtlt1
Started on: 05-10-2013 11:33 PM
Replies: 73 (3130 views)
Last post by: Trinten on 06-25-2014 11:59 PM
87GT2M6

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
is this still in the works?????
IP: Logged
SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 03:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I never took this seriously.
gmctyphoon1992

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gmctyphoon1992Send a Private Message to gmctyphoon1992Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any updates? I really hope this is not bs..
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think for a second that this was B.S. but I do think a bit of a reality check has happened. Molding Lexan is extremely difficult and not cheap. The tooling alone will run $25K+ per side. I checked into it years ago but you can't give advice for something like that, sometimes you just have to try for yourself, and sometimes they actually succeed! At least he stepped up and tried I know there is another vendor on the forum working on a possible solution to this problem perhaps they will share their findings

Dr. W.

------------------
Is your Fastback GT's trunk seal shot? My Gen IV replacement GT trunk seals with miter double bonded corners are now in production. $95 + $15 flat rate shipping to the US (contact me for international shipping rates) or buy two and pay only a single shipping rate! More info can be found here GT Trunk Seal Project

vitog44

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vitog44Send a Private Message to vitog44Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hope he'll take the plunge and start making the tail light lenses. There is and will continue to be a market for them. It's matter of time before all of the GT's TLC will succumb to the same fate of delamination. The Fiero Store no longer makes them and the alternatives have become very slim pickings at best. Mine started to show signs of delamination six months ago and it has steadily progressed. The car is in showroom condition, always garaged and only comes out in good weather. I think it's Fiero's version of old age degenerative syndrome.
In any event, if Fiero GTlt1 is serious about this...count me in for a set !
fierogtlt1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87GT2M6:

is this still in the works?????

Still going to try to make these at a later date now.Possibly next year after I move to Georgia.The Sail Panels are still on the list of items that are going to be made along with my Center Console Skeletons that are listed in the General Fiero Chat section.Thank You and sorry for the long wait.

[This message has been edited by fierogtlt1 (edited 08-08-2013).]

gmctyphoon1992

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gmctyphoon1992Send a Private Message to gmctyphoon1992Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by infinitewill:

I don't think for a second that this was B.S. but I do think a bit of a reality check has happened. Molding Lexan is extremely difficult and not cheap. The tooling alone will run $25K+ per side. I checked into it years ago but you can't give advice for something like that, sometimes you just have to try for yourself, and sometimes they actually succeed! At least he stepped up and tried I know there is another vendor on the forum working on a possible solution to this problem perhaps they will share their findings

Dr. W.

Didn't mean it like that.. Im glad he is stepping up to take the initiative to try to get something like this in the works.. But like you said many have tried and failed because it is an extremely costly and time consuming process..

But once again I commend you for your efforts fierogtlt1 and Me and many other hope you succeed in this project

possumlips

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for possumlipsSend a Private Message to possumlipsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interested in 3 gt sets and a coupe set. Also gt sail panels.I see where the Fiero store has a right side tail light lens, but no left for sale.Wonder why?

[This message has been edited by possumlips (edited 08-13-2013).]

TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don`t know much about moulding Lexan except what I learned while working at a hot tub place a few years ago.
I did talk quite a bit to the two guys that did it and saw first hand what they did.
I can`t understand the amounts of money I have heard about taking these to fruition.
I can see that the screenptinting itself could present a few problems but I gotta tell ya that the way I saw the hot tub shells done (which were Lexan) it wasn`t that involved.
These guys made a mould out of basically plywood and then used filler to smooth it all in and then drilled holes to allow the vacuum to pull the heated Lexan into shape.
I have also seen a video that I think one of the members on here that does the headlights that have the lenses that sort of stick up use (what I guess is a homemade machine)
form the lenses and it doesn`t look too difficult.
Now maybe some materials would not hold up to multiple forming of the Lexan but how many cheap moulds can you make with thousands of dollars?
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogtlt1:

Some of you are wondering about the quality and price.I am not going to set a price until my first set is completed next month.The lenses will be made out of
"POLYCARBONATE LEXAN" and formed over a wooden buck of the tail lights.I already have the Lexan.Still trying to find some honeycomb that I can also put between the lens and the tail light assembly like the Trans-Am,for some other kind of look.

This is how I am gonna make them as I posted earlier in the thread.....Your'e right TXGOOD...It's just 4 X 8 Sheets of Lexan is expensive as hell.The other part..The buck is cheap..

[This message has been edited by fierogtlt1 (edited 08-13-2013).]

CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by possumlips:
I see where the Fiero store has a right side tail light lens, but no left for sale.Wonder why?

They originally had an equal number made....but the driver's side tail lights seem to be damaged far more often than passenger side. Why? Because inexperienced people will push a car by the tail lights...and they always do it on the driver's side. Take a look at any set that has a single crack....it will almost always be on the upper left side.
PFF
System Bot
Damorgan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DamorganSend a Private Message to DamorganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im subscribing to this topic because Id love to get a set for my 86 GT, good luck
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2013 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any new progress on this project?
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2013 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt28:

Any new progress on this project?

No new progress.I am going to continue this project in January.Than You.

cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2013 05:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have built tail light lens moulds and let me tell you... if you want OEM quality, you will spend tens of thousands of dollars on a proper mould at the very least, and lose your shirt. I have done work for these guys

http://www.dbmreflex.com/profile/

I really do wish you well and hope you can pull this off, but go into it with your eyes wide open. There are lots of well intentioned dreamers here (aluminum replacement frame....etc..) In order to make a mould and have the correct cooling/shrinkage, clarity, size and fit, you will have to spend hundreds of hours, be willing to spend a ton of money on EDM electrodes, etc. Unless the lenses look and fit as good as originals, I think you will have a high rate of returns and get hammered on PFF.

There should still be a decent supply of 86-88 GT used lenses kicking around. There is already a good "fix" for the delam problem. My suggestion is that instead of trying to make entirely new lenses, try creating a reasonably priced single cover that fits over the 2 old lenses so it can hide the cracks or blemishes. Put a slight tint in on it and it will make the tail lights look new, though the Pontiac lettering will be obscured..

I wish you well, just know what you are in for. A hand pulled mould will NEVER be anywhere near as accurate or repeatable as an injection mold (like the originals), and I really think you will have a lot of quality issues and grief. Not to mention that a big chunk of the potential customer base has big dreams but empty wallets. Good luck
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2013 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

I have built tail light lens moulds and let me tell you... if you want OEM quality, you will spend tens of thousands of dollars on a proper mould at the very least, and lose your shirt. I have done work for these guys

http://www.dbmreflex.com/profile/

I really do wish you well and hope you can pull this off, but go into it with your eyes wide open. There are lots of well intentioned dreamers here (aluminum replacement frame....etc..) In order to make a mould and have the correct cooling/shrinkage, clarity, size and fit, you will have to spend hundreds of hours, be willing to spend a ton of money on EDM electrodes, etc. Unless the lenses look and fit as good as originals, I think you will have a high rate of returns and get hammered on PFF.

There should still be a decent supply of 86-88 GT used lenses kicking around. There is already a good "fix" for the delam problem. My suggestion is that instead of trying to make entirely new lenses, try creating a reasonably priced single cover that fits over the 2 old lenses so it can hide the cracks or blemishes. Put a slight tint in on it and it will make the tail lights look new, though the Pontiac lettering will be obscured..

I wish you well, just know what you are in for. A hand pulled mould will NEVER be anywhere near as accurate or repeatable as an injection mold (like the originals), and I really think you will have a lot of quality issues and grief. Not to mention that a big chunk of the potential customer base has big dreams but empty wallets. Good luck

Alright the cat is out of the bag......This is how I will be doing the lenses instead of forming Lexan.It is "Super Clear 17 Casting Resin".It gels in only 10 minutes,cures in 24 hours,does not yellow and cures to a 80D optically clear plastic.So it would be great for tail light lenses and also
for Sail Panels.

NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2013 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweeeet.... I say do the notchies first!
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a new product that I am going to order for the mold I already have done for the lenses.
You have to scroll to the right to see the product for the lenses.

Here are the Fastback lenses ready.

[URL=http://s1312.photobucket.com/user/fierogtlt1/media/10351766_1498884703658176_7954871371550952950_n_zps1010d587.jpg.html][/URL ]

Here is the clear casting resin I am ordering soon.

[This message has been edited by fierogtlt1 (edited 06-02-2014).]

AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogtlt1:

Yes.....I could possibly do that......Just cut the LEXAN in twice the length ...So instead of Heigth of 9" and a Width of 32 1/2".Would just make it Heigth of 9" and double the Width to 65".

That was a good idea...Now need to buy a bigger sheet of LEXAN to try a single piece without the gap in the middle.

you don't know how much you'd please the OCD crowd with a one piece lens panel... the "PON" "TIAC"... just... ... ...
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice!

It isn't a disorder to want symmetry.

When I drive a japanese vehicle, and expect the wheel to behave equally when turned left vs right, is that OCD?
Edmonchuck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EdmonchuckClick Here to visit Edmonchuck's HomePageSend a Private Message to EdmonchuckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Definitely interested...will be watching progress...subscribing...
PFF
System Bot
gmctyphoon1992

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gmctyphoon1992Send a Private Message to gmctyphoon1992Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

I think you will have a high rate of returns and get hammered on PFF.
I wish you well, just know what you are in for. A hand pulled mould will NEVER be anywhere near as accurate or repeatable as an injection mold (like the originals), and I really think you will have a lot of quality issues and grief. Not to mention that a big chunk of the potential customer base has big dreams but empty wallets.

Good luck

I have big dreams and a decent size wallet

+1 for your continual efforts.. If it doesn't turn out the way you expected I at least wont hold you against it but still commend you for putting yourself out there and trying it..

Youll never know if you don't try.. and many of us like me wont even begin to try lol

------------------
1988 Pontiac Fiero Gt (fully optioned, factory leather, 5-speed, CJB T-Tops: Black w/ gray interior and blk wheels)
1992 GMC Typhoon #0203
1971Chevorlet Corvette 454cu/ LS5/ 4-speed/ convertible
1993 BMW 850 Ci 6-speed V-12

[This message has been edited by gmctyphoon1992 (edited 06-03-2014).]

canfirst

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I currently have two 88 Fiero GT's with near perfect taillight lenses, so I don't require replacements in the foreseeable future. However, anything can happen when going for a ride or attending a car show and it's just a matter of time before a taillight succumbs to a stone chip or some other misfortunate damage, so I would be interested in having a source for taillight lenses in the future.

I was wondering if anyone had ever considered fabricating taillight lens covers to protect the lenses from damage such as stone chips? Would it be difficult or cost prohibitive to fabricate lens covers from plastic similar to blister packaging used to enclose and package products for retail sales. It seems it should be an economical product to manufacture by using existing taillight lenses as a form to create a mould and then blow the plastic into the mould as I imagine would be done to create blister packaging. I am curious to know if this would be economically feasible and perhaps a process to create new cheap lens covers?

Does anyone have experience or know how blister packaging is done and approximate cost for the process?
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are the tail lights that I have been searching for without success. The molds are somewhere out there but who knows where. Best looking IMO.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/123873.html
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Add me to list, my GT lenses are coming apart inside and look bad.
Rattman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2014 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RattmanClick Here to visit Rattman's HomePageSend a Private Message to RattmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very interested so make it happen!!!!
pcwentworth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2014 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pcwentworthSend a Private Message to pcwentworthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
count me in for a set, depedning on quality
Ponnari

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2014 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in for 2 to 3 sets
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2014 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And once all these guys are happy, on to the notchie crowd
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfred8:

Any update on this?

I doubt we'll see any updates here anytime soon, since one year already has gone by with no reply from fierogtlt1 to your 6-25-2013 inquiry of him regarding the prototype `86 to `88 GT taillight lenses he said he was working on ---- and nearly two years have gone by since he started this thread.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by project34:

I doubt we'll see any updates here anytime soon, since one year already has gone by with no reply from fierogtlt1 to your 6-25-2013 inquiry of him regarding the prototype `86 to `88 GT taillight lenses he said he was working on ---- and nearly two years have gone by since he started this thread.

Until such time that the OP updates us, we must assume that the project never materialized or was a failure. After two years in the making and no product to offer, what does that tell you?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I too have not received a PM back for quite some time, so we are going to add these to our R&D...since we are already working on the Perfect GT Sail Panel replacements and they can be done the exact same way...the biggest issue was building the a large enough pressure cooker...to ensure all the air is out...but that has now been addressed and we should be seeing the 1st set in the next few weeks...if we had nothing else on our plate we could probably have the 1st set knocked out by end of week, but that ain't going to happen

http://www.fierofantasyconcepts.com/
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXOPIE:

I too have not received a PM back for quite some time, so we are going to add these to our R&D...since we are already working on the Perfect GT Sail Panel replacements and they can be done the exact same way...the biggest issue was building the a large enough pressure cooker...to ensure all the air is out...but that has now been addressed and we should be seeing the 1st set in the next few weeks...if we had nothing else on our plate we could probably have the 1st set knocked out by end of week, but that ain't going to happen

http://www.fierofantasyconcepts.com/

I never received a PM from you about this item.......My main focus right now is the Center Console Skeleton...But since my health is getting worse by the day...I have to hold out a little while to have those done first....But I will probably die from Scleroderma and my Chemo treatments before I'm done...Thanks.

Trinten

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh man! I'm sorry to hear about your health issues!

Chemo can be a darn rough thing to deal with/go through, and not always a 'sure thing' as far as a fix. I hope things turn around for you!!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock