Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall
  Official aluminum fuel tank sale thread (Page 6)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Official aluminum fuel tank sale thread by joesfiero
Started on: 03-22-2011 03:18 PM
Replies: 205 (21795 views)
Last post by: Rare87GT on 08-15-2019 09:16 PM
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2019 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can I snag a set as well?
IP: Logged
CJB118

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2019 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CJB118Send a Private Message to CJB118Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am in contact with a nearby shop, the owner is a master welder, does aluminum tanks, and has a son apprenticing who does CAD plasma cutting. If anyone can provide me a set of plans, I will work with them on a preproduction sample, letting them work from the plans, and with the tank from my 88, while it is off the road this winter. I will test it in my car, and post updates during the process. I would plan to coordinate a production run using advice from PFF members, pricing at whatever sweet spot would get volume and reasonable return, and handle the order processing and shipping myself. A PM will get my phone and email for further correspondence.

------------------
1988 Pontiac Fiero Formula, Yellow, original. (CJB #118)
1977 Pontiac Le Mans Can-Am W72, original, unrestored.
1977 Pontiac Grand LeMans
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP L67/MN7 (Parts Car)
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP L67/MN7 (DD)
2005 Pontiac Grand Prix L26 (Wife's DD)

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2019 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a thought, but different metals do not always go well together. Fuel tanks are now made of plastic, which does not rust. If starting over on making a fuel tank, plastic may be the way to go.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 08-06-2019).]

Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2019 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Just a thought, but different metals do jot always go well together. Fuel tanks are now made of plastic, which does not tust. If starting over on making a fuel tank, plastic may be the way to go.

That would make it even more difficult for a normal person to acquire or build themselves. At least an aluminum tank is more feasible to aquire.
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2019 06:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's probably easier to make an epoxy resin fiberglass or even carbon fiber tank in your back yard than it is to weld one up in your back yard.
Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2019 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the original aluminum tank from Joe. It has been flawless. I can get some good pictures sometime.

------------------

Best 1/4: 11.7 @ 115mph
Best 60ft: 1.60

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave