Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall
  Official aluminum fuel tank sale thread (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Official aluminum fuel tank sale thread by joesfiero
Started on: 03-22-2011 03:18 PM
Replies: 205 (21793 views)
Last post by: Rare87GT on 08-15-2019 09:16 PM
joesfiero

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2012 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As for the baffling, our design there hasnt changed since mine and I have never had a fuel starvation issue on hard street driving for over a year. I understand the challenges with road racing and to be clear, we can make most any baffle setup if you request it, more complicated ones will require some kind of drawing so were all on the same page. Tony makes these tanks out of raw sheet aluminum, his main business is making aluminum tanks for marine use. I am not by any means an expert on baffling setups so this is the best I could come up with to reduce starvation on accel and decel, but I dont road race so that was never taken into account. If your interested in a tank let me know what you want done and I will get the info to Tony to make sure he can do it. We have done some customizing on our tank design for customers before, such as external fuel pumps and such.

Posted in the other thread, but want to keep as much information as possible in this thread.

-Joe
IP: Logged
Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2012 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump for a great product and great seller. All around A+!!

------------------

joesfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2012 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks again, feedback left. Great transaction, keep in touch over time and let me know how your tank is doing.

-Joe
lildevil

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2012 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
how long is turn around when ordering one of these?

------------------

joesfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2012 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Typically a couple weeks plus shipping but Tony has a lot going on right now so it may be a few weeks or more. He puts an order in his list of orders when someone wants a tank and when it comes up in line it only takes him a day to make.

-Joe
lildevil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2012 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interested in a set of wheels and two tires too offset the cost?

------------------

joesfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2012 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got pics?

-Joe
lildevil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2012 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are the silver wheels on my older signature above. 18's with two 245 wide rear tires with more then 70 percent tread. PM me if interested
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like I too will be getting one.
joesfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2012 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We found out the hard way that the company that makes the senders isnt exactly the most ethical business. Tony placed an order for 2 of the senders that fit our tanks and are 0-90 ohms so they work with the Fiero gauge and was told a few different promise times that were never met. It took us over a month, closer to 2 until the sender showed up at Tony's shop. Luckily the customer that wanted this first one was very reasonable and understanding. I wanted to make it to the shop to take pics of everything before it went out but we were already holding this guy's tank hostage for much longer than promised so I didn't want to hold up getting the tank out once the sender arrived.

Im hoping to get some feedback on that particular tank but our last customer was extremely happy with his new tank, hopefully it serves him well for many years to come.

Tony is looking into announcing a pricing update based on time and materials coming up soon. I doubt things will get too much higher but we will do everything to keep the cost as low as possible. If he does raise the price I will update the thread anywhere it is mentioned so there is no confusion.

-Joe
Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2012 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Joe,
How many tanks have you sold to date? Just kind of curious. Mine works like a charm!

Thanks,
Amir

------------------

PFF
System Bot
joesfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2012 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I cant remember an exact figure but its less than a dozen. Its a bit surprising since I feel this is such a good product but I am not really pushing it either so I can guess its just lack of too many people knowing about them. We have perfected the tank and now have a marine sending unit available at a very good price so the only thing stopping us now is buyers. I will say that the sending unit company did have some hiccups getting the last order out to us but if there is enough interest in the near future we may just end up buying a dozen or so senders just so the customer doesnt have to wait for them .

Glad to hear you are enjoying the tank, are you getting a reasonable increase in usable capacity? I noticed with mine that the tank is quite a bit taller at the sender (with a stock unit) so you have to lower that pump in the tank so you dont run out of fuel before the tank is empty.

-Joe
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2012 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by joesfiero:

Bump, still making these. Seems this thread gets forgotten quickly, I cant imagine $300 is too much to spend for a completely rust free brand new aluminum tank. The old ones are getting harder to find and we can custom make one of these for you in a matter of a week or so.

-Joe

Its almost impossible to find a good used tank. I think this is a great option and very well priced! I didnt see what you guys were doing about the baffles like RacerJT asked about. That is a very big deal. I would need two tanks. One for my 88 one for the 87 race car. That one uses VDO fuel sending unit and would be much easier and smaller than the GM version. We need to chat.

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 12-16-2012).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2013 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it larger than the stock tank(s)?
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2013 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I keep trying to buy one of these.. actually 2. No response.
joesfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2013 02:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry BV I didn't see your last post. The baffles have been well discussed here and in the other thread in general. Basically we use aluminum plate welded to the inside of the tank to keep the fuel in the area of the pump pickup. Its nothing special and not as intricate as stock but it works well on my personal tank and have never had a complaint from a customer. If you have a special request for a baffle system we should be able to make it I just need to know specifics maybe even a drawing.

And yes, these are larger than stock tanks by over a gallon (11 and change for the later stock tanks versus almost 13 gallons for mine), I have had customers tell me that actual fillable capacity is around 12 gallons.

-Joe
FieroNate

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroNateClick Here to visit FieroNate's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroNateEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are these the 14 gallon tanks? I saw you mentioned external pumps. I imagine its not a huge deal to make an indentation for an external pump or even a 'tube' to screw them into with a fitting at the bottom.
LEEEZARD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LEEEZARDSend a Private Message to LEEEZARDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whats the price with the new marine 0-90 sending unit? thanks.
joesfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The new price for a tank with the marine sending unit supplied is $380 plus shipping. We install the unit for you and all you have to do is wire it up. We also weld two threaded fittings at the back of the tank to allow you to plumb the external pump. Overall its a much better design than using the stock sender, though some people may prefer to still use it so we still offer the tank with provisions for the stock sending unit and pump for $325.

These prices are all plus shipping and if paying paypal, plus 3% for the fees.

Tony makes these tanks along with the marine tanks that are his primary business. When you place an order for a tank it goes into his queue and is made in order. Depending on how many tanks are ahead and how time consuming they are it could take anywhere from a few days to a couple weeks or possibly more to make your tank and get it shipped out. I try my best to estimate this at the time of purchase and communicate if we go past that.

-Joe
etofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for etofunSend a Private Message to etofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what are the weight differences between the stock and aluminum tank?
LeeR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2013 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LeeRSend a Private Message to LeeREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd really like to buy one, I sent you a pm, but no response yet. Are you still selling these?
PFF
System Bot
joesfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2013 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tank weights were discussed earlier in the thread, the aluminum one is slightly heavier due to the thicker gauge metal used.

and Leer, PM responded to. For everyone's information, Tony the tank builder is on an extended business trip until mid Feb. so if you are wanting a tank, it will be a month or so until hes ready to make them.

-Joe
LeeR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2013 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LeeRSend a Private Message to LeeREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Joe!!!
maxout2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2013 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maxout2Click Here to visit maxout2's HomePageSend a Private Message to maxout2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would like to buy a tank and sending unit.
Greg Guth
11000 promise Land Drive
Frisco Texas 75035

------------------
GGuth

joesfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2013 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM replied to Maxout.

-Joe
Racer_JT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2013 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racer_JTSend a Private Message to Racer_JTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want to get in line for one when he gets back. I want the external pump setup and baffles to help with the gforces of my race car

It will be nice to have the pump up where it can be worked on. ALso is it possible to all to allow for a larger vent to aid in fueling faster??????

[This message has been edited by Racer_JT (edited 02-13-2013).]

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post02-14-2013 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
these still being made??
and is he open to other vehicles/tanks
coady

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2013 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coadySend a Private Message to coadyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
will this tank fit in my 85 gt?
Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2013 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DragonSend a Private Message to DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by coady:

will this tank fit in my 85 gt?

Hes it will

My wife's 86 GT has one

------------------

Frank Martin
87 GT
3800 s/c - lowered with Held Motorsports suspension - Suicide Doors by Archie
Custom Paint
Fun To Drive Daily Driver

87 Convertible
Sunshine Car

jae

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2013 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaeSend a Private Message to jaeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need a new tank, so I was also wondering if these are still being made. I sent Joe an email a few days ago but still haven't heard back.
Racer_JT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2013 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racer_JTSend a Private Message to Racer_JTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump for my race car wanting a new tank
PFF
System Bot
joesfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2013 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just spoke with Tony, he is back in town now and catching up on orders placed while he was gone. If anyone wants a tank you can place an order but please give us about 2 to 3 weeks to ship it. Sorry for the delays and I will catch up on all PMs.

Thanks
-Joe

P.S. for anyone going to the Daytona show I should be bringing a tank for viewing and I may even be able to bring one or two for customers if you want to save on shipping.

MCDUCK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2013 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MCDUCKSend a Private Message to MCDUCKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
FieroGTguy

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2013 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
Racer_JT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2013 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Racer_JTSend a Private Message to Racer_JTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want the external pump setup and baffles to help with the gforces of my race car

It will be nice to have the pump up where it can be worked on. ALso is it possible to all to allow for a larger vent to aid in fueling faster??????

What is the total cost for above. with everything needed to install?
Carcollector

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2013 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcollectorSend a Private Message to CarcollectorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi, sent you a PM requesting a fuel tank quote.
Would appreciate your response
Thanks
joesfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2013 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Racer, the baffles are going to be an issue. As said earlier in this thread our baffle system is very basic and I'm sure insufficient for racing. Since I am no engineer, we would need you to provide us with at least some kind of drawing as to what you would want.

Everyone else, it took tony a while to get back with me on shipping quotes I'm assuming because he has been busy since getting back. I will pm everyone with quotes but please be patient if you decide to buy a tank as I have seen it take over a month to build one before but ill do my best to get you an estimate when you buy.

-Joe
Racer_JT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2013 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racer_JTSend a Private Message to Racer_JTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok thank you. let me talk with a couple of my buddies and see what design we can come up with. Can you give me an idea of what your baffle design is at this point
joesfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2013 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For a tank with a stock sending unit I was involved with designing the baffles though tony really knew what he was doing since he baffles his boat tanks. It's pretty simple,just a couple plates welded around the sender tha restrict the fuel from sloshing but still allow it to flow. I haven't seen what he did with the marine sender setup but I'm sure it's similar.

-Joe
tampalinc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2013 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tampalincSend a Private Message to tampalincEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Racer_JT:
Ok thank you. let me talk with a couple of my buddies and see what design we can come up with. Can you give me an idea of what your baffle design is at this point

When you decide on a design for the baffle please share. Some of the rest of us may be interested in this option also.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock