Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall
  WTB 8" Under the dash custom Subwoofer Box (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
WTB 8" Under the dash custom Subwoofer Box by FieroJonney
Started on: 08-06-2009 01:04 AM
Replies: 217 (12687 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 11-14-2019 05:34 PM
Snapperhead

Feedback score:    (57)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SnapperheadClick Here to visit Snapperhead's HomePageSend a Private Message to SnapperheadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Updates? Looking at one for myself...

------------------
Snapperhead Productions - Used Fiero Parts
Mirror Stainless Door Sill Plates - Mirror Stainless Deck Lid Mirrors - Acrylic Hood & Trunk Mirrors
Vette Brake Swap Consentric Rings - Powder Coating Services. - PCS Products.

Rides:
85 Fiero Gt, 86 Fiero GT " Snapperhead", 88 Formula --- 10 Camaro, 99 K2500 Suburban, 04 Trailblazer

Our Old Rides:
85 Honda Nighthawk S, Yamaha FZ600, 88 Yamaha FZR1000, Myers Manx, MG Midget, MGB, Lots of V-8 Pintos, Pinto Cruiser Wagon, 67 VW Bug, Toyota Cressida Wagon, 78 Mustang, 76 Mustang, 77 Vette, 67 Firebird, 87 Fiero GT, 88 Fiero Formula, 98 Grand AM, 96 Chevy K1500 Z71, 94 Z24, 94 Sunbird Convert, 93 Caravan, 91 Grand AM, 91 Dodge B250 Van, 91 Caravan, 90 Corsica, 82 Vette, 04 GTO, 04 Grand Prix.... I'm sure I've missed a few....

IP: Logged
Austrian Import

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2012 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Status update?
Black Pegasus

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2012 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black PegasusSend a Private Message to Black PegasusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As for status updates;

Things didn't went how I planned them to go for this summer. My Fiero is still not on the road (Had to swap the engine and an other load of stuff.) I ended up getting a full time job (60 hours per week, 6 days a week) so I only have one day to work on personnal projects. I got the idea through that I won't have a car this summer (I have to re-drop the craddle and everything) so I basically decided to turn around and make the enclosures.

I openned up the new gallon of gelcoat i got (Since I ran out a while ago), when I openned it up the gelcoat was tacky and cristalised. It's the second one I get that went bad on me. My supplier is 2 hours away from me and arent open the sunday therefore I am a little stuck for material. I'm going to try to find other supppliers nearby.

Looks like thing just can not go well for both my car and fiberglass project. There is ALWAYS something... -__-

Fred

------------------
87 Pontiac Fiero GT

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2012 02:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you order the gel coat off the interwebs? Would it be cheaper that way (and kind of make up for losing 2 cans already)?
Black Pegasus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2012 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black PegasusSend a Private Message to Black PegasusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
interwebs? you mean ordering it online?

Anyways, had a fiero friend that was passing by so he dropped it off for me. The company said that with time it will crystallize on the cover, and whats left of it becomes gel. Though i found it wierd that I bought it this winter and it already went bad with me barely using it (Since all my projects were on hold).

Now I took a different kind of gelcoat which is supposed to last longer. We will see how that will go.

As for updates, I made an other enclosure which is still in the mold as we talk.

Fred
GodSend

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2012 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GodSendSend a Private Message to GodSendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the gelcoat is just cosmetic I would think a bunch of us would be wiling to forgo if its causing you huge headaches...
Black Pegasus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2012 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black PegasusSend a Private Message to Black PegasusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its not only cosmetic, it helps throughout the whole process. Beside, it was a headache for all my fiberglass project. Now don't worry, I have enough for a while and it shouldn't be a problem... at least for this year. lol

Fred

------------------
87 Pontiac Fiero GT

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2012 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Black Pegasus, any progress on this project? Did the gel coat work?

How many more weeks until you retire this project for the year and the car goes back in storage/you to school? Do you think it will be done this year, or will it he next summer?

Let us know if there is anything we can help with.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2012 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Black Pegasus:

Hi again!

Sorry it took some time, but I now have some pictures! Here is our prototype:

And here is the fitting (The fitting under the dash is the same as the red one though):

I've found the perfect spot to link the wires to pass them inside of the enclosure. I had the choice between those two connectors, one (On the left) is like a trigger push and the other one (On the right) is like a nut:

For this one, I've put the "Nut" like one:

Here is both of the speekers installed in the enclosure:

Nice. How much for two?
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2012 02:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That be awesome. I don't know if they're done yet though. Waiting to hear back from Black Pegasus.

I like the banana plugs more personally, but either method of mounting would work great. People with more SQ audio experience should chime in here.
Seanpaul

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2012 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SeanpaulSend a Private Message to SeanpaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So was there a price anywhere in these 4 pages?
I'm interested.
PFF
System Bot
GodSend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2012 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GodSendSend a Private Message to GodSendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As long as the connections are secure the method will not matter. Personally I dont mind the clip ins, easier to remove if needed. Once in place both work.
Black Pegasus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2012 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black PegasusSend a Private Message to Black PegasusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Austrian Import,

The Gelcoat worked well.

I don't know how much time until the car gets parked. Long story cut short, didn't had my Fiero all summer. I rebuilt my engine, tranny, modified the suspenssion, put everything in. Now the result: the engine leaks oil MAJORLY (lets say 30mins = 1/2 a quart of oil). So I dont know yet if I re-drop it this year or the next one. One thing for sure, I would like to be able to come down to the 30th anniversary next year. We will see how that goes. :P

This is how I will manage my time: I am curantly making a small batch to see the consistancy of material use and time. When they will be ready, I will be able to see the interest of buyers. (Some might find it too expensive)

Like I said, I'm starting with a small batch. When school will start, I will try to dedicate my time for roughly 1 enclosure per weekend (I'm only talking about fiberglassing, not trimming or all the other fine details). This will be for the time that its still warm enough to open the garage doors for ventilation. When it will get too cold, I will work on all the enclosure I made to finish them off (Triming, painting, connections, etc.) since I can still do all that with the garage door closed. This is the way I found to maximise my time and production.

I expect a small batch for end of august/begining of september. A larger batch will be made later on which will be ready either for holidays or spring. I still don't know the amount I will be able to make so I can't tell you numbers.

Madcurl,

Thanks a lot! I appreciate your interest!

I don't know the final price yet. I havent calculated all the material cost and the amount of time it takes me. As soon as it is done, I will let everyone know.

Seanpaul,

Like I said to madcurl, I don't know the final price yet. I don't want to scare anyone off by giving a number that could be way off. This is why as soon as I know, I will clearly post the price.

GodSend,

You are right. As long as the connection is tight, there is no difference since the currant passes through. My father likes the "punch" one because its faster for him to connect it. I personnally like the "screw" one because I can make sure how tight the connection is. Its a matter of preferences.

I hope this answers your questions, sorry for the delay.

Fred

------------------
87 Pontiac Fiero GT

[This message has been edited by Black Pegasus (edited 08-17-2012).]

GodSend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2012 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GodSendSend a Private Message to GodSendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just throwing it out there, but would you also consider doing "rough" ones? Given your limited time I don't mind getting on unpainted/sanded/trimmed.
Seanpaul

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2012 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SeanpaulSend a Private Message to SeanpaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok well put me on your list and shoot me an email when youre done.

seanscarbrough@gmail.com

thanks.
Black Pegasus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2012 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Black PegasusSend a Private Message to Black PegasusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GodSend,

I considered that option and a great deal of people made the suggestion. Without getting into too much details, this enclosure design is very picky. Thing needs to be done right the first time. The way of trimming and screwing the fiberglass can affect the quality of the enclosure and the sound. I have scrapped a couple of enclosures already because of those little details. (I've learned from my mistakes)

I aim product quality and customers satisfaction. Work that is done the right way the first time. I don't want to risk having customers having an enclosure that sounded like the first one I've made; it was simply horrible. There was rattling noises from the fiberglass. This is because I was inexperienced with fiberglass enclosure (For fiberglass body panels, it no where near the challenge) I prefer selling a little bit less, but everyone is satisfied and can have a great listening experience rather than having inconsistent product depending on who finished off the work.

Only one kit will be available for the subwoofer enclosure. For the brackets, I don't know yet how I am going to do it. I don't know if I will make them by hand, knowing that they will work perfectly (Custom made = expensive amount of time), having a batch made by CNC, water jet or an other process (Then finishing of little details like the bends), having customers making their own brackets (Which will fall into the inconsistent category).

The other solution, some Fiero people proposed me to design brackets and make them for me. I might sell my fiberglass enclosure without brackets and the buyer is responsible to provide is own brackets whether he make his own, or he takes them from the machine shop that made the brackets for me (We would be 2 separate seller, only a related product). This would help focusing my time on the enclosure rather than both the enclosure and the brackets.

Seanpaul,

No problem, you are added to the list!

Fred

------------------
87 Pontiac Fiero GT

timcha

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2012 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timchaSend a Private Message to timchaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for pricing and availability update......want......one........now......salivate....drool....make googley eyes......
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2012 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I have access to a machine shop. www.techshop.ws and therefore access to laser cutters, plasmajets, waterjets, other fancy equipment. All I need is the Cad file, and material specs. Let me know what you had in mind..

Black Pegasus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2012 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Black PegasusSend a Private Message to Black PegasusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
timcha,

Still in the production process, I'm guessing by your reaction that I better add you to the list! :P

Austrian Import,

PM Sent!

Fred

------------------
87 Pontiac Fiero GT

Blacksheep

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2012 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacksheepSend a Private Message to BlacksheepEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I too would be interested in this when you finish it.
Black Pegasus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2012 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black PegasusSend a Private Message to Black PegasusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Blacksheep,

No problem, I have your name added to the list!

Fred

------------------
87 Pontiac Fiero GT

PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post08-20-2012 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
to bad you can't just get them vacum formed out of plastic..
mygear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2012 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mygearSend a Private Message to mygearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Black Pegasus add me to the list please.
Black Pegasus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2012 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black PegasusSend a Private Message to Black PegasusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mygear:

Black Pegasus add me to the list please.

Done!

Fred

------------------
87 Pontiac Fiero GT

Black Pegasus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2012 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black PegasusSend a Private Message to Black PegasusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have updates,

Production started a while ago, I am currently making my first batch of enclosure to be sold. Still have some work to do on all of them. A little picture of the current work done.

Fred

------------------
87 Pontiac Fiero GT

KEV

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2012 03:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KEVSend a Private Message to KEVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please put me down on the list..!

Very nice work!

------------------

1999 GMC Jimmy 2dr 4x4
1985 Fiero GT 3800 N/A ...3800 S/C being rebuilt now.
1984 Fiero Indy #1098 w/ Centerline Wheels,Hooker Tri-y header and Indy Scoop with Strobe's
1984 SE Daily Driver

TG oreiF 8891

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2012 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TG oreiF 8891Send a Private Message to TG oreiF 8891Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't know you were starting a list!!! I've been watching for a long time... please put me on the list.
No, hot your hit list, the other list.

------------------
1988 Fiero GT
Custom Corvette / MR2 electro-hydraulic power steering
17" rims covering up 11.25" rotors with Cadillac Calipers & drop spindles

Black Pegasus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2012 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black PegasusSend a Private Message to Black PegasusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Both of you were added!

Fred

------------------
87 Pontiac Fiero GT

GADJet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2012 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
how much will they sell for?
Black Pegasus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2012 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black PegasusSend a Private Message to Black PegasusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GADJet,

I don't have any final price yet. Calculations needs to be made for time and cost of material (As all the enclosure I did were prototypes or took part in the design. I am not charging anything for the time of designing.). While being in production (I am currently making 6 enclosure at the same time), it gives me a good average of the material I use, and the time it takes. Beside, I will place an order to a shop as soon as I'm done the bracket design to sub-contract that part of the kit. The price the shop will charge will be the same one I charge you. (Again, I wont be making any profit on those)

I will post the price as soon as I sell some!

Fred
timcha

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2012 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timchaSend a Private Message to timchaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
........can't wait!
PFF
System Bot
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2012 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put me on your list of interest-eds. Thats the closest thing I have seen to a factory enclosure that allows a larger woofer.

iluvsd619

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2012 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for iluvsd619Send a Private Message to iluvsd619Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please put me on your list as well.
Black Pegasus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2012 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black PegasusSend a Private Message to Black PegasusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Added to the list!

Fred

------------------
87 Pontiac Fiero GT

GADJet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2012 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Add me to the list too. I am about to purchase something soon. Let me know a ball park price in PM if you have one and dont mind. Thanks.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-09-2012 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
black pent. I can send you an adapter plate set for the 5.25" dash adapters...
to see if they fit with your box.. I'm thinging yes, as the 5.25" goes toward the heaterbox not the a pillar..
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-09-2012 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012
oh and add to thy list
Black Pegasus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2012 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black PegasusSend a Private Message to Black PegasusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Both of you were added,

Still dont have a final price, school took all my time since its started and everything is still on a table in the garage waiting for me to get some spare time here and there.

E.Furgal, is this the adapter plate you are talking about?
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/063055.html

Fred

------------------
87 Pontiac Fiero GT

troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2012 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you get my PM, BTW great work
Black Pegasus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2012 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black PegasusSend a Private Message to Black PegasusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Troyboy

Yes I saw your PM and you are added!

Fred

------------------
87 Pontiac Fiero GT

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page