Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Build thread: '88 + 3800 = Fun in Spokane (Dial-up death warning) (Page 5)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Build thread: '88 + 3800 = Fun in Spokane (Dial-up death warning) by aaronkoch
Started on: 07-13-2009 03:46 PM
Replies: 321 (32324 views)
Last post by: robymon on 06-21-2019 03:33 AM
2Fast2Fiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2010 06:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2Fast2FieroSend a Private Message to 2Fast2FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
very informative thread. what year fuel pump did you use amd from what car?
IP: Logged
aaronkoch

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2011 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for freshness, and to mention that I'm about to start working again.

List of things still needing done:

Run wire for second O2 sensor (running a camaro computer and camaro manifolds, dual O2's)
Have exhaust fabbed
re-assemble interior
program ECM
Assemble front brakes and bleed.
Alignment
Drive!!
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2011 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

aaronkoch

1643 posts
Member since Aug 2003

Originally posted by 2Fast2Fiero:

very informative thread. what year fuel pump did you use amd from what car?

Sorry, missed this:

I used a fresh v6 fiero pump. My engine's an NA, so it should be fine.
thedrue

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2011 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so I started reading you list of things still to do and misinterpreted it as stuff that was done. I got really excited and a little mad I had not seen the pics... Then I discovered you still had to do that stuff!

Come on Aaron, get that thing finished!

It does look good BTW
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2011 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Our high temp for tomorrow is supposed to be single-digits..

Besides, I'm sick right now. And lazy. And poor. Did I mention lazy?

Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2011 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Arron
Get of your lazy butt and get it done.

Oh by the way I now haw my own HP Tuners.

See you soon

Joe

------------------
85 SE Daily driver with a 3.4 DOHC OBD II
88 Formula/GT 4.9 Allante Intake (My Baby)

hypo327

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2011 02:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hypo327Send a Private Message to hypo327Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So far so good Aaron. I'd sure like to see it when it's done!! Are you going to have it at the N.W. Fiero Fest this year?

When you get it on the road, I hope those red poly bushings on those beautiful A-arms aren't to noisy. I changed mine out to the black ones with graphite (when I installed new slotted ball joints), to eliminate the sqeaking and squawking every time I went over a bump or dip. The fronts were the worse, cause they move more. In dry climates, like Arizona, there's probably no problem, but every time it rained, it would wash-out all the silicone lube and start squawking again, and it was so embarrassing. It's quiet now, and doesn't compete with my stereo any more either!...lol.

If I could figure out how to reduce my pictures to 307,200 bytes and 1024 width, I'd use PFF's PIP to post a picture. I don't know why they didn't make it work with a standard camera size..? I'll have to get my computer geek over here to show me how. I've got all the programs down-loaded, just can't figure out how to make all these different things work.

Looking forward to you continuing this thread! You're doing a good job!

[This message has been edited by hypo327 (edited 02-24-2011).]

aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, goal is to have it at NW fiero fest. Poly's ok, and my previous car had squeaks, but I'm pretty sure that having the arms all powder-coated along with the LIBERAL helping of goop I shmeared on there it'll be ok for a year or two.

Just last weekend, I got the fiberglass battery tray mounted up, and beginning this afternoon / and into this weekend it's plumbing time: Time to get the brakes all mounted up and bled.

[This message has been edited by aaronkoch (edited 03-17-2011).]

my86fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for my86fieroSend a Private Message to my86fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey aaronkoch
how hard was your harness to do?
i was looking through here and i like the way you layed it all out
any pointers that might help?
thanks,
jason
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Harness wasn't difficult with Ryan's diagrams, but it was tedious. I printed the pinouts from www.gmtuners.com, then checked each one off after verifying with a meter. It took me an honest 6 hours of work. Granted, I've never done one before, but I can tell you I still think it would take at least 3-4 if I made another one.

[This message has been edited by aaronkoch (edited 03-17-2011).]

aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

aaronkoch

1643 posts
Member since Aug 2003
So, after programming my PCM, I hooked it all up tonight excited to see if it would run without cutting out anymore (VATS). I hooked up the battery, turned the key, cranked, and except for a sputter, nothing. I don't have the interior in yet, and noticed that when the fuel pump ran, it sounded like the pulsator replacement hose had given away, and the pump was just spraying the inside of the fuel tank.. Ugh.

I re-used the one that was in there, and it turns out that was a bad idea. Apparently, the ones that came in the 4-cylinders aren't capable of handling the high pressure. We'll chalk this up to a lesson learned.. I have a PM into the guy in the Mall selling sections of the in-tank rated tube, and if I don't hear back from him, I'll go get some from Napa.

1 step forward, 2 back.

PFF
System Bot
Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Aaron tried to call you Damn phone battery is dead. I have the fuel line you need.

Joe

------------------
85 SE Daily driver with a 3.4 DOHC OBD II
88 Formula/GT 4.9 Allante Intake (My Baby)

aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, got the in-tank tube replaced (oh, how I HATE dropping the tank), and we're back in business.

Also, setting the VATS to PWM and disabling the P-codes for VATS seems to have solved the VATS issue.

Had a squal go through, and had to pull back into the garage, but next up is finishing the brakes, and attaching body panels.

[This message has been edited by aaronkoch (edited 03-20-2011).]

thedrue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2011 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
damn man looks awesome and sounds real mean. Get her finished up! I am hoping to get back up there sometime in the next couple months. I had a great time hanging out and hope to make it happen one more time before I graduate. Keep up the good work.

Damian
helmet1978

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2011 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for helmet1978Click Here to visit helmet1978's HomePageSend a Private Message to helmet1978Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work Aaron!

You should drive it around the neighborhood with no exhaust like I did.....at 11:00 at night You make a lot of friends that way!

4 1/2 months til Fiero Fest....hope you can get her done by then!

Paul

------------------
http://www.raceme.cc/helmet/

aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2011 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would have, except the brakes aren't hooked up yet, the interior's not in it, and the instrument cluster is balanced on the steering column (which is also loose, to let me swap the clutch pedal assembly in). That would have been Mr. Toad's wild ride for sure..

I'm hoping to get the exhaust and alignment done this weekend/upcoming week, throw the brakes on and bleed 'em, then go for a ride! It'll look like hell, but after 2 years I don't care. Just wanna drive it.

------------------

Currently in the middle of my 88 + 3800NA swap

aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2011 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ugh, pulled the oil filter adapter today to make changing the oil pressure sender easier, and found out that it's bone dry.. Fantastic, the oil pump doesn't pump.

I'll have to track that down..

On the good-news front, with Tony's help, i got the brakes bled today. One step forwards, 2 back. I seriously thought about walking away from the project today, but can't being soooo close to done.

Some days, I really do feel like just parting it out...
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post04-08-2011 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Aaron, sorry man. But honestly, you are sooooo close. I am really impressed with your progress, quality of the parts, and how solid the car is. You are not far off, and I am sure that the crew will help get her going. (BBQ @ your house. )

Tony
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2011 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just to post an update:

Well, good news! I'd simply forgotten to put in the oil pressure relief valve and spring, and without it in the housing, there's no way for the oil pump to suck oil out of the pan. I ran to pull & save, grabbed a plunger and spring, cleaned them up and re-installed the oil filter housing (after pre-squirting the oil-pump full of straight 30w oil), pulled the plugs out, shot some oil in the cylinders with a syringe, pulled the PCU plugs, and spun the motor with the starter.

It only took about 3 seconds for oil pressure to register on the gauge, phew! Even with just the starter, it hopped up to about 60 PSI (still assembly lube in there).

I spun for a while longer to make sure everything was good and lubed, then put the plugs back in and fired her up.

Now, on to the next problem:

Engine runs, but really crappily. I have a scanner, and the sensors are reading correctly. Fuel pressure is good, measured with a gauge, and I can keep the engine running. At idle, fuel PSI is ~50, and it goes up to about 55 when the throttle is blipped.

I have 2 seperate coil-pack / ICU combos, and swapping them makes no difference. Resistance across ALL my coil packs (across spark plug terminals) is ~12.5 ohms on all of them.

My question is this: I removed that weird honeycomb air-straightener that sat in front of the MAF. Is it needed? If I put a clean rag across the opening of the intake tube, it runs better, and sometimes doesn't miss at all. Otherwise, it sounds like it's got just the gnarliest cam in the world in there...

I don't have an exhaust on there yet, just the manifolds, but I don't think that would cause my problems..

Any info you guys can spare would be appreciated. If I don't hear back, I'll go to pick & pull and get another honeycomb mesh thingy and try that. I tried to remove for cleaning before I had snap-ring pliers and damaged the last one..
JPH87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2011 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JPH87Send a Private Message to JPH87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have taken out the screen or honeycomb out of severall MAF you will be getting better air flow but it should not cause your problem but I would get your exhuast done then start looking at the tune. After market MAFs don't have a screen

[This message has been edited by JPH87 (edited 05-08-2011).]

JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2011 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm running mine without the screen with little to no problems. On your scanner, what is the LTFT and are there no codes?
PFF
System Bot
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2011 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No coes stored, and no ltfts yet (still zero) as I haven't run it long enough to get it into closed loop yet.

I don't think its MAF related, as it runs theb same / worse without it plugged in.

Probably just crappy old injectors, they sat dry for 7 years before being reinstalled..

Ill grab a fresher set from pick & pull next chance I get.
mrbeef

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2011 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrbeefSend a Private Message to mrbeefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the honey comb needs to be in there its a weird 3800 thing
BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2011 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been working on this slowly, trying to figure out the crappy running.. Here's what I've got now.

First, the injectors:
I had the wrong ones in it. Joe had mistakenly given me a set of 3.4DOHC ones. I went to pull & save, got a set from a wrecked '97 3800NA (same year as computer) and soaked them in a 50%/50% solution of gasoline and techron for 3 weeks. I then rinsed them with electronic parts cleaner spray and they look great.. spray holes look awesome and the screens were clear. I then went and bought new fuel-injector o-rings for all of them.

Old/wrong ones on left, "cleaned"/correct ones on right.

So, I was pretty stoked at this point, popped off the fuel rail, lubed the o-rings with a dab of motor oil, installed the new injectors, and reinstalled the rail.
Pressurized the rail, checked for leaks, and went to start.

Same thing. It is easier to start now, but still runs like crap. The one new thing: If I rev it, as it idles back down, it will sometimes burble on all 6 like it should.

So, the troubleshooter in me gets to work. I have tried the following:

Swapped entire ICM and coil packs - no change
New plug wires
New GM plugs
Measured fuel pressure - 51 at idle, and jumps to 55 when I goose the engine.
Swapped MAF - no change
disconnected MAF to start - runs worse
swapped injectors - little change for the better, but same overall crappiness

PCM reports no trouble codes, all sensors report right with my scanner. MAP, Temp, TPS, MAF.

So, I was pretty frustrated. Tony Kania stopped by last night, so since I had a helper handy, I had him spritz some starter spray in when I started it. VROOM.

Hmm.. ran clean on all 6 when the starter spray is used. This tells me it's DEFINITELY in the fuel system somewhere.

So, in my mind, it's one of the following possibilities:
1) Wiring to injectors is bad / faulty (either poor connections on my part, or swapped injector leads somehow)
2) I missed the correct pins on the PCM for the injectors (not likely, but worth a check)
3) PCM somehow unable to properly ground injectors (also really unlikely, I have really good grounds to the PCM in all the places it needs them)
4) Faulty PCM

Now, in my mind, #1 seems the most likely. I checked with a meter before taping up the harness, and don't think I mis-pinned the PCM plug. If there was a serious internal problem in the PCM, I believe the CEL would stay on or flash.

I don't think it can be the crank / cam sensor, as it does run great when I spray starting fluid in the intake.

Am I missing a possibility? I'll tear the harness off the motor YET AGAIN (ugh) and start checking. At this point, I'm tempted to start over with the harness, as much of a PITA that is, just to eliminate it as a possibility..

aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

aaronkoch

1643 posts
Member since Aug 2003
Forgot to mention in the previous post that I checked the injectors with an ohm meter.. Can't remember what they were (at work now) but they were all the same. Think it was 12.6 ohm or something like that.
JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm lazy and didn't want to look through the whole thread - did you get a noid light to test the firing of the injectors? It's a simple little light that plugs into the injector connector that will light an led every time it's "fired". Other than that I would definitely trace the grounds back to the pcm connector and make sure the appropriate wire goes to the appropriate injector.

Edit: Also with the engine running as bad as you say it is you should be getting a random misfire code. If you aren't getting one that would make me wonder.

Edit #2: This is the image that rock auto shows applies to a 1997 grand prix gt 3.8l N/A engine. It looks a lot different than the new injectors you received and a lot more like the "wrong" injectors you removed. This injector is from AC Delco. Do the injectors have identifying numbers on them?

[This message has been edited by JamesCurtis (edited 06-28-2011).]

aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I was wondering about that too, but I've never let it run long enough to get to closed loop.. I'll try the noid light for sure, that's a great idea. Thanks.
JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My SES started blinking 30 seconds to a minute after the misfires occurred, I'm sure there's a minimum amount of misfires that need to occur in a certain amount of time to trip that but I don't know those exact figures. Can you just scan codes with your scanner and get general engine data (rpm, IAT, ECT, advance, etc.) or can you pull some of the enhanced pids such as individual cylinder misfire counts?

Edit: The noid light is really to show if the injector is getting fired at all (light won't light) or if for some reason it has shorted and is permanently lit. You can see random problems as well with the light blinking sometimes and not blinking others, it would probably help for you to jiggle the wire harness around with your hand to simulate going over rough terrain. A good signal will result in a steady pulsating light.

[This message has been edited by JamesCurtis (edited 06-28-2011).]

aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can pull any PIDs, but need to know the PID number.

As far as the injectors, the original ones were "denso" brand, and the new ones I don't remember seeing a brand name. I pulled the "new" ones off of a 97 olds. It's possible the ones I pulled were replacement ones. Either way though, switching all 6 injectors to have it behave the same way is odd..

I'll start by trying the noid light at the injector plug.
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

aaronkoch

1643 posts
Member since Aug 2003
These are off of an 1997 oldsmobile 88 (via rockauto), and the 1997 camaro 3.8 (PCM I'm using):

So it looks like ACDelco brand, as these are identical to the ones i have.

[This message has been edited by aaronkoch (edited 06-28-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello

My name is Mr. Mukwana. I am the Vice President ot the special Finance Division of the government of Nigeria in Lagos. I am contacting you to let you know that I need your help to relocate $55,000,000 in funds to the United States. Due to the political instability in Nigeria currently, we have no choice but to look into alternatives to hold currency reserves.

If you assist us by providing your banking information and PIN number, we will pay you a 5% commission on the amount transferred. This means that you will receive $2,750,000 for your assistance. In order to get started, please remove the powdercoated 88 Fiero suspension from your vehicle. Next, PM me for a shipping address. Though I am in Nigeria, the address I will give you is in Canada for security reasons. Please carefully package, pre pay, and ship the suspension and cradle. Once received, I will begin the process of the money transfer so that you can receive your $2,750,000 fee.

Thankin you very much

Mr. Mukwana
Vice President
Finance, Lagos
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SWEET. Here comes my choptop. Rofl. Nigerian scam on pff. . What's the world coming to?
JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This has to be a joke. Where does that guy think he would get posting in a fiero forum? lol
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pretty sure its a weird joke. What would a Nigerian want with powder coated suspension pieces for a fiero?
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL, yes it's a joke. But you've gotta love powder coated suspension bits.

The car is looking great!

Nolan

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 07-15-2011).]

cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2011 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanking you for your prompt reply.

Here is the proof of the payment I am holding for you as promised.

In addition to the powder coated suspension pieces, please also send a brand new Series III S/C crate motor with Purple Reign mounts, finished wiring harness and Spec 3 clutch for an 88 Fiero. Of course you need to pre-pay for shipping but you will become a millionaire within 48 hours after goods are received. I will wire you an additional $2,000,000 for beechwood Mr. Mike's leather seat covers.

I can assure you that this is 100% real and the pile of money is sitting in front of me waiting to be transferred to you. I will be waiting patiently for your shipment

Mr. Mukwana.... a.k.a. Scam-a-lot

[This message has been edited by cam-a-lot (edited 07-16-2011).]

FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JamesCurtis:

I'm lazy and didn't want to look through the whole thread - did you get a noid light to test the firing of the injectors? It's a simple little light that plugs into the injector connector that will light an led every time it's "fired". Other than that I would definitely trace the grounds back to the pcm connector and make sure the appropriate wire goes to the appropriate injector.

Edit: Also with the engine running as bad as you say it is you should be getting a random misfire code. If you aren't getting one that would make me wonder.

Edit #2: This is the image that rock auto shows applies to a 1997 grand prix gt 3.8l N/A engine. It looks a lot different than the new injectors you received and a lot more like the "wrong" injectors you removed. This injector is from AC Delco. Do the injectors have identifying numbers on them?

Hey James i have a 98 grand prix with the 3800n/a motor. The injectors in your pic look identicle to mine. Also someone mentioned the honey comb screen before the MAF and it needing to be there,well it doesn't .I removed mine and the car runs normal. I think the screen is a was to prevent crap from hitting and damaging the maf sensor element. I thought the stock v6 (fiero) style fuel pumps had to be replaced with a differant type? Also i have read somewhere on here about "camaro idle" tuning. I'll see if i can find the thread that meantions that. Not sure how there is a differnace between idle speeds,unless there is another factor than speed that is adjusted.

Arron waas all you tuning done by you with HP tuners?

edit to add: found the thread were IAC tables are mentioned.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/114188.html

Darth's post on 02-08-2011 @12:37pm.
------------------
ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

[This message has been edited by FIEROPHREK (edited 07-17-2011).]

JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think the screen is a was to prevent crap from hitting and damaging the maf sensor element.

If something got into the air stream that was big enough to be blocked by the maf screen, I think you have other much more serious problems. The MAF screen is there to straighten the airflow before it hits the MAF to give more accurate readings. Removing it doesn't seem to make that big of a difference, and definitely wouldn't cause a car to misfire. If we could get some hard numbers out of the PCM such as LTFT and misfire counts on cylinders it would go a long way to telling us what is going on. Have you run a compression test on this engine?
FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also have currently sold a 96 bonneville that had a 3800na it had a flashing check engine light. the current owners replaced the coil packs with new and fixed the missfire. i swapped coil packs from several "good" packs and still had the problem. Just a though try "new" coil packs.

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave