Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  88 Coupe gets a 3.4 (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
88 Coupe gets a 3.4 by josef644
Started on: 03-18-2011 12:24 PM
Replies: 562 (28325 views)
Last post by: josef644 on 05-02-2016 01:06 PM
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2011 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good Joe....

IP: Logged
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The dash this morning:

and

This dash paint I got from PPG is premixed and ready to shoot. Real good paint. excellent coverage.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2011 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had grandchildren here since my last posting. All are back with their parents now. I was able to get a lot of small things done this morning. Muffler hanger brackets attached:

and

V6 power brake vacuum hose:

Soldered on the trunk latch wire harness that a PO had cut off:

Discovered that my harness fastener has the little plastic anchor destroyed. Gonna look in the mall for one:

I connected a battery to the starter to check spacing. Sounds to tight to me. I need to get a set of GM starter shims.
It was up to 97 in my garage at noon. Enough for today
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2011 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

josef644

6939 posts
Member since Nov 2006
Dash pieces I have been working on in the house:

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2011 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I shimmed the starter this morning. Removed the AC compressor. Routed the + battery cable, mounted the - cable to the forward head's stud. Anchored the harness and cable to the AC compressor mount. Discovered that my alternator has the incorrect serpentine pulley on it. 6 grooves, supposed to be 5. Anchored the wire harness to the cross over pipe. By 10:00am it was steamy in the garage. We had us a good 2" rain here yesterday afternoon. Made steam today.

Tomorrow I will work on the harness a bit, and try to get the upper intake on the engine.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2011 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Went out in the garage this morning at 7:00 am to get a few things done before it gets 107* here today.

Removed the exhaust cross over pipe and twisted the wires in the distributor so they will not interfere with anything else. Mounted the tack filter in it's spot. Remounted the alternator and belt. Rewired the rear part of the harness so it would match the attachment points. Connected the alternator wires and it's adaptor for the CS 130. Mounted the ERS solenoid and connected it's hoses and connector.

Removed the metal lines that are supposed to go from the thermostat to the TB. TB holes were plugged. Mounted the MAP sensor bracket to the upper intake. Added some of the black plastic covering to some of the wires that didn't have any on them. Installed the new red MSD distributor cap and rotor.
as it sits today:

and

I will be back out here at 7 tomorrow AM
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2011 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Back out at 7am. I used this to wrap the exhaust side of the harness this morning. I was pretty happy with it as it has a fabric backing as did the GM tape I removed. This was the 15 foot roll and was just enough. I got this from Summitt.

on the harness

and here also:

Ground wires:

and this one behind the starter area:
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This morning I hooked the exhaust to the cradle and made some measurements. A PO had removed the catalytic converter and added a glass pac in it's place. I had purchased a transmission dip stick tube seal and installed it while it was easy to get to. After the seal install I took the exhaust , and the new catalytic converter to my friends house for welding it on the pipes. After welding it back on I installed it all back on the cradle and fastened the exhaust pipes back together. I hate messing with those hanger springs.
fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Joe!
Sorry your 4.9L project went south. Hope to see you soon.

------------------
Life is just SO much better when you own AND drive a Fiero!

Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's coming along nicely! How do the MSD cap and rotor compare to GM pieces? On my 3.4 I also installed Rodneys idler set up, power pully kit , and alternator bracket reinforcement. It's much easier to do with the engine out.

I don't recall having that many grounds. Did you add extras?

[This message has been edited by Rick 88 (edited 08-23-2011).]

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a new BW cap and rotor. It never did seat well on the distributor. I opted for the red MSD cap. It came with a red rotor also. Sorta snappy I think!!!!Wasn't expecting the rotor.

I think Rodney's idler set, and Dodgerunner's set are the best way to go. After loosing my job, State of Texas budget cutbacks, last month I have to be a bit more thrifty wit my SS checks. I am gonna try to have it running for Rucus, even if unpainted.

I used this thread, with great pictures, to try to get the harness in the right places, and every thing correct the first time.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...110502-2-101948.html

Steve long time no hear.
-Joe

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 08-23-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2011 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Day off with the Dentist. Back to work tomorrow.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2011 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Installed upper intake manifold this morning and torqued it down. Added the power brake pipe before lowering the upper intake.Torqued crossover pipe, and added the heat shields.Installed new gaskets on the EGR pipe. Added MAP to the intake and tightened it down. Maybe back in the next week?

I need to move the dipstick either left or right just a bit. It is right in front of the power brake vacuum pipe.

As of this morning:
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2011 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did very little today. Installed the spark plugs. I was gonna put the spark plugs wires on and discovered that I was missing one plug wire. I have ordered a set of new AC Delco wires fro RockAuto. I located fasteners I will be needing next week. Called it a day.

We set a new record of 109* here today. It is 101 on the back porch at 7:25pm.

Out of town tomorrow.
-Joe

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 08-27-2011).]

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2011 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We had a slight 'cool front' come in yesterday evening. Only 82* at 11am. I went out in the garage and did a few things this morning. Installed the speedo pod. Added plug wires to the engine. Cleaned the black plastic wire separators.

I re-read all of this post from the first post , until now. This has been a long journey, but is starting to all come together now at the end. Hoping to get the cradle back in the car this week.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 09-04-2011).]

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2011 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Went back out this morning to get a few things done. I installed the whole console parts and the auxiliary gauge pod. This was a time consuming item as I had forgotten which fasteners and such went into which holes. Trial and error.

Added the rubber fuel supply line to the metal ones on the engine.
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2011 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Moving along nicely Joe! The dash looks great. Waiting to hear it run!
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2011 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

Moving along nicely Joe! The dash looks great. Waiting to hear it run!

It actually looks better than the picture. The flash makes it look almost tan. The two end vent pieces were not recolored. I was trying to get it to look like a Formula Beechwood. I was able to get pretty darn close.

So close I can smell it!
-Joe

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2011 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Worked out in the garage until 12:30pm. I did all of the items on my 'Punch Out List" that were left to perform before I roll the cradle back underneath the car. I haven't figured out how the throttle pressure cable connects to the throttle body yet. Gotta do some checking up on this.

Added three replacement muffler support springs for the three that were stretched out and bent out of shape. Glad I did this before It is in the car.

Cradle goes back in the car tomorrow morning first thing.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 09-06-2011).]

blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2011 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You reckon she's gonna be running by Ruckus?... or is it one of those things that you don't really want to have a set target?...
when it happens, it happens.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2011 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blakeinspace:

You reckon she's gonna be running by Ruckus?... or is it one of those things that you don't really want to have a set target?...
when it happens, it happens.

It would be nice to be able to drive it up there for Ruckus. Even unpainted!! Poe's twin? The front is white, the roof is red, and the trunk lid is blue right now. We might just have to come in the Malibu again. I am doing everything I can to it while it is cool outside. Supposed to be 55* here tomorrow am.
-Joe
PFF
System Bot
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2011 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Under we go:

Up we go:

Home at last:

Tomorrow am I am gonna check to make sure all is well, cables and wiring not pinched etc. Then I will start hooking it all back together. Lost one 4.5 inch long 12mm front cradle bolt. I have a starter bolt filling in until I can get a new one.

Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2011 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Coming along nicely Joe! You are going to like the 3.4. Mine averaged 31.3 on the Gunnison trip, and only felt doggy when we got up to about 11,000 ft.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2011 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rick 88:

Coming along nicely Joe! You are going to like the 3.4. Mine averaged 31.3 on the Gunnison trip, and only felt doggy when we got up to about 11,000 ft.

My automatic has the 3.33 final drive. I looked up the codes on the tag. I might have some poor fuel mileage, but maybe a little bit more 'ZIP'.
-Joe
BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2011 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice Joe
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2011 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had a nice time with the 'Fiero Two Step' this morning. That is one step forward, two or three backwards.

Tore my garage apart looking for the missing front cradle bolt. Went to Lowes in Livingston. 17 miles each way. They do not have one long enough.

Back home looked on the Internet for one bolt. They run about $2.50 each with 10 bucks shipping. Some places only sell a whole box.

The Fiero Store sells them for about 10 + 5 for shipping.

Went to Huntsville, TX ,(33 miles each way), where they have a Ace Hardware store. Road paving was in progress. One hour for 33 miles!. The only 12 mm bolts they carry were 8.8's not the 10.9 of my original bolt.

Came out of the hardware store to a flat tire. Added my spare, had tire repaired and put back on the truck.

One hour drive back home.

Spent $15.00 for the tire repair, and used $20.00 in gas for a $2.50 bolt that is the incorrect hardness.

Away from home just over 3 1/2 hours.

Back home, I added the bolt to the cradle. Quit for the day. P***ed off.

More tomorrow.
-Joe

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 09-08-2011).]

BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2011 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey joe, I believe I may have a extra one if you need it.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2011 06:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BMTFIERO:

Hey joe, I believe I may have a extra one if you need it.

Tim , can you throw me one in a padded envelope? I will PM you my address
Thanks
-Joe
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2011 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

josef644

6939 posts
Member since Nov 2006
A lot of things happened yesterday afternoon. At the Meals on Wheels that I used to work at, the last driver had a heart attack and died at 5:00pm. I was rehired and started back to work this morning at 8am.

Weekends will be my Fiero garage time. It was 105* in the garage at 3:30 when I got home awhile ago.

Nothing done on the car today. I will be out in the garage tomorrow morning around 7am trying to get everything underneath it re connected. Pointing on trying to get it back on it's wheels again.
-Joe
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2011 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haven't done much this week as I am back working again. It was 109* in the garage when I got home at 2:20 pm. Average daily temperature is supposed to got down about 10-12 points over the next week. AT LAST.

I did have this made from a guy on E bay for $8.00:

I am planning on getting the wheels back on and the car back on the ground this weekend. Then everything can be finished with out standing on a ladder.

Fierosmith

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2011 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierosmithSend a Private Message to FierosmithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^^ Nice!

keep it goin' It's lookin GOOD!

Cant wait to see it in person

Jim

[This message has been edited by Fierosmith (edited 09-14-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2011 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to see your progress! I bet your wife would've been a LOT happier driving that Yellow Formula with working A/C all of last year, huh? . I'm just happy to be getting my life back together so I can enjoy driving a Fiero again! SO....tick, tock, Ruckus is just around the corner. LMK if you need anything, I'm liquidating Fiero parts.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2011 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
She has 'Nixxed' the repaint of my 88 to the soft beautiful Fiero Yellow. They are that way at times. Call me on my cell, or PM me your number
-Joe
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2011 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

josef644

6939 posts
Member since Nov 2006
This way:

or this way:

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2011 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a bunch of work done this morning.

Passenger side coolant hoses installed and tightened.

Both axles installed, along with the upper two large strut bolts.

Brakes back on the car tomorrow am.

I was gonna attach all of the parking brake cables back together, and can't remember where the forward cable passes threw the 88 cradle. Driver side rears are still in place. I'll have to look at some of my 4.9 swap pictures to see where I routed it .

Can't find one outer Axel nut washer.

More tomorrow AM

Front cradle bolts came from The Fiero Store in the mail today. More to finish up tomorrow morning.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 09-18-2011).]

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2011 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Didn't get much finished today. Had around 1.5" rain this morning in about 2 hours. Just sat and watched it rain.

Cleaned up both rear brake rotors and put them on the car. Mounted both rear calipers on the car. Mounted the two axle nuts after locating the missing washer from yesterday. I have the passenger side brake a bit to tight. I need to take it back off and turn the caliper piston in just a bit. Get that right, then the parking brake stuff will be next.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2011 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A bit cooler in the garage this afternoon. I was able to finish the mounting of the two rear calipers. Got them on the other day, but the passenger side was to tight on the rotor. I removed the caliper and screwed the piston back in 1/2 turn. All is well in the Fiero world again.

Purchased a new Dorman axle nut for one side. I had a new one already for the other side. 200 ft lbs tomorrow before connecting up the parking brake cables.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2011 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got this in the mail yesterday. Came shipped in a clear cellophane jacket. Sorta neat.

Attached and adjusted all parking brake cables. I have a good firm handle at about 1/2 way up of the lever. Last time I installed the cradle with the Cadillac power train I used as simple level to set camber. Not perfect, but gets it close enough until I can get to an alignment shop. I'll do that tomorrow if it is cool in the garage after work.
-Joe

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 09-20-2011).]

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2011 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
March 18,2011 I removed the wheels and took the 4.9 out of my 88 Coupe. This morning it was only 59*a t 7:00am. I went out and proceed to finish up everything underneath to get it back on the garage floor. Added the wheels and down she goes.

Tomorrow morning I will start on the top side, wiring harness and cables etc. Might get to turn the key for the first time.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2011 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

josef644

6939 posts
Member since Nov 2006
After a bit to eat this evening I went and purchased a new negative battery cable. Picked up 8 quarts of Dex/Mer transmission fluid while I was there.

I painted these pieces beechwood this evening also:

and 'C' pillar trim with the 4 little round fastener covers:
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock