Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Starting NEW Body Kit from scratch (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Starting NEW Body Kit from scratch by Mailmule
Started on: 09-21-2008 10:37 AM
Replies: 135 (16884 views)
Last post by: jaredmurray88 on 08-12-2011 06:34 PM
Mailmule

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2008 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MailmuleSend a Private Message to MailmuleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Changing things up a little bit.
I appreciate the heads up on the wing. I will do it but not just yet.

IP: Logged
Mailmule

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2008 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MailmuleSend a Private Message to MailmuleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some updated pics. Going slow but now I am starting to add some distintive lines in the body to define some things. Here is how I am doing it:

I simply used a piece of wood taped to the body to create the straight line exactly where I want it.

The I am adding the bondo to create the line. Takes some layering to get it right.

Once the Bondo hardens, I remove the wood and have my line. Now I have to feather in to make it look natural.

Maybe 1 more layer and it will look like it belongs.

Will post more when it is a bit more distinct.

[This message has been edited by Mailmule (edited 10-08-2008).]

whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2008 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looking better and better.
just keep telling your self ..... ( I love fiberglass! ) HA HA...............
keep up the good work!
85SEnochie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2008 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is coming along very well keep the new ideas coming

[This message has been edited by 85SEnochie (edited 10-08-2008).]

HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2008 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its coming along very nicely, I was thinking of giving it a similar approach, but I doubt the results would look like this. Can't wait till its finished!
Mailmule

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2008 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MailmuleSend a Private Message to MailmuleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK here goes the latest update. And thanks once again for the encouragement. I noticed from a distance that the bottom scoop (line above) was at to much of an angle, so I have fixed that and also finished the upper line as well. Also starting on the door....

I think the lines are finished here.

Now I start on the door - It will probably change a few times but I needed to start somewhere..

Sorry I didn't realize the pics were so big..

Here is a link to some additional pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com...authkey=XK5UvKxZ2SM#
http://picasaweb.google.com/Frickephoto/TheFiero#

[This message has been edited by Mailmule (edited 10-09-2008).]

ChopTop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2008 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChopTopSend a Private Message to ChopTopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting thread. I'm wondering, do you have a plan, sketch, or just letting the ideas flow out of your head? I like that you decided to keep the wing low.
Here's a good pic link on how Saleen made the Mustang's diving board rear fascia appear flush looking.
http://www.mustangevolution...dia/2613/1_39088.jpg
Mailmule

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2008 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MailmuleSend a Private Message to MailmuleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ChopTop:

Interesting thread. I'm wondering, do you have a plan, sketch, or just letting the ideas flow out of your head? I like that you decided to keep the wing low.

ChopTop

No sketch, Kinda just winging it, but I am getting ideas from pics I have seen on this thread as well as some concept car photos. As far as the wing, I just think it loos more natural keeping it low but I am stretching it and dropping it all the way back on the lid.

BTW: The mustang does look sweet.

3.6lvvt6spdgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2008 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
still as interesting as day one lol keep up the good work
Mailmule

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2008 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MailmuleSend a Private Message to MailmuleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A little closer::

whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2008 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looking good!
PFF
System Bot
85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2008 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The big question door handles??

[This message has been edited by 85SEnochie (edited 10-10-2008).]

HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2008 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The answer.
http://cgi.ebay.c om/ebaymot...6QQitemZ130259581456

Shaved is always better and looks better IMO... (hehe)

[This message has been edited by HC (edited 10-10-2008).]

Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2008 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
3.6lvvt6spdgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2008 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok i hope you dont get mad but i was looking at the side scoop and it looks off when you put wide tires on it, it will look like the body rolls under so i though this would look better i hope you dont mind and its just a sugestion.

instead of tapering in taper it out

[This message has been edited by 3.6lvvt6spdgt (edited 10-11-2008).]

Mailmule

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2008 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MailmuleSend a Private Message to MailmuleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whats up everyone...

I am glad to see some interest. Makes all those hours sanding and getting itchy worth it.

85SEnochie--The big question door handles??

HC hit it on the nose. I did however find them a little less expensive (around $120 for a set)
http://www.jaycorptech.com/...id=120&categoryid=17

3.6lvvt6spdgt-- I would certainly not get mad. I was hoping someone would give some of there own ideas. The only problem is that I don't think it is even possible to get a rim and tire as wide as that part of the rear anyway. When I started the back, I am already a good 1 1/4 inches out without the scoop. pic below:

After adding the scoop, I am way out there.

Thats when I decided to fill in above the scoop with another scoop which solved the problem on the drivers side which actually needs the scoop to work.

Like the Lamborghini, the scoop sticks out passed the tire. I will probably only go with a 10 or 11 in if lucky which will just make the top (above the wheel) filled in.
Then again, I really won't know until I can get the cash for rims and tires. I may end up doing exactly what you have pictured.

I really don't mind your input at all. I am actually looking for it. Thanks

Here is some updated pics:

As far as the front fender goes, I am simply going to remove it and modify how it attaches to the body to get it to pop out. It will save allot of time and money besides it looking right.

Here is a link to all the pics so far: http://picasaweb.google.com/Frickephoto/TheFiero#

Thanks again
3.6lvvt6spdgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2008 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
oh fron the back it looks way better nevermind its just all that bondo messing with the look.
Mailmule

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2008 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MailmuleSend a Private Message to MailmuleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 3.6lvvt6spdgt:

oh fron the back it looks way better nevermind its just all that bondo messing with the look.

Actually, after your post I took a good look at the way things looked from the top/back and the places in the next pic where way to shallow, so I am bringing it up a bit. You can tell by the color of the Bondo where I am talking about:

Also, on the front fender, I am simply making a Fiberglass replica and then using that to build out the front. I actually may do this to the Whole Drivers Side to eliminate the foam. I will still need to use the foam to make the scoops and such, but the glass seems quicker and more durable than just the foam and wood. We shall see.

Mailmule

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2008 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MailmuleSend a Private Message to MailmuleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I haven't got to much more done. I put a few layers of glass and trimmed up the front fender. Below are some pics of how I intend to place the panel to match the rest of the body.

Instead of using just reg. Bondo, I am using a Bondo/Glass to do the initial leveling out and smoothing. It is more durable than the standard Bondo.

Mailmule

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2008 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MailmuleSend a Private Message to MailmuleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I did IT!! Cut the wing in half::::

READY..

SET

OUCH..

It was a bit nerveracking, but I had to do it. Below are more pics as I am progrssin with it:

Back together again!! I extended it 5 1/2 inches

Getting Better

How it looks on the car::::

ANY Questions??

[This message has been edited by Mailmule (edited 10-17-2008).]

whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2008 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ANY Questions??
[/QUOTE]

what are you going to do wit the center section of the door where it meets the rear quarter?
are you going to bring it out flush with the quarter?
it is looking great keep up the good work. lots of hrs.

PFF
System Bot
Mailmule

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2008 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MailmuleSend a Private Message to MailmuleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The center of the door will look like this:

3.6lvvt6spdgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2008 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well you like my photo chop before so here is an idea for you.
i think your side looks to plane so heres what i came up with.

the red lines show the new cuts needed and the blue show shape. what do you think?

nice work on that fin that looks sick

[This message has been edited by 3.6lvvt6spdgt (edited 10-17-2008).]

Mailmule

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2008 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MailmuleSend a Private Message to MailmuleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Once agin, you have some great ideas. I wish I had another Fiero to try all f them out. I DO like the way you brought the middle door out to meet the quarter. It is kinda bothering me, but the reason is because I need that scoop to actually function on the Drivers side for the air intake. If I bring the door out to meet it, I will be blocking that functionality (unless I find a way to make the door portion part of the air intake) . Those openings you see (the scoops) will have some sort of grill when finished. I just don't want to go making anything like that until the finished product. What I don't like is the way you cut the top of the door. Just doesn't do it for me. Let me see if I can do some moch up's and post them for criticism.

Thanks for the ideas once again.

Scott

3.6lvvt6spdgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2008 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the scoop could be still used, just ,make it so there is a vent at the back and a vent in the back panel. basicly make it a tunnel you could use some mesh in the door jam to alow the air to go to the back. also with this vent you could keep your door handle and kep it hidden.

[This message has been edited by 3.6lvvt6spdgt (edited 10-17-2008).]

Mailmule

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2008 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MailmuleSend a Private Message to MailmuleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, the wing is just about done. What would you pay tohave your wing extended???? Let me know, I may take on this custom wing deal.

Cant see the ruler, but it is now about 66" long. I didn't measure it before I ut it, but I can tell you it is 5 1/2 " longer now.
If I would have thought of it when it was cut, I could have installed a really nice 3rd break light. Damn!!!

Just about ready for Primer. I will finish the bottom side and prime it tomorrow.

3.6lvvt6spdgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2008 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the fin looks awsome
Mailmule

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2008 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MailmuleSend a Private Message to MailmuleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The wing is primed and mounted. Waht do you think?? Also, I pulled it out of the garage to get a wider view on things. I am pretty satisfied so far.

Here are some of a wider view::

This is what the wing looks like from the drivers side and no mods to the body.

A few more of the whole car::

http://lh3.ggpht.com/Fricke...Y8/s912/PICT1030.JPG

Here is a link to all my pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/Frickephoto/TheFiero#

[This message has been edited by Mailmule (edited 10-19-2008).]

ALLTRBO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2008 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know this is very premature, but I thought I might give you some inspiration or visuals for final shapes. No matter what happens, I'm sure it's going to look good!

The wheels came from here:
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

------------------

88 Fiero GT - garage ornament
'96 Talon TSi AWD - 11.9 @ 116, sorta broke again
'90 Camaro IROC-Z twin-turbo - sorta broke again
'85 Kawi 750 Turbo - sorta broke still
'95 Kawi GPZ1100 - 10 second daily driver, heh
'87 Craftsman 8HP mid-engine mower - WTH?

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 10-18-2008).]

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2008 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ALLTRBO

2023 posts
Member since Mar 2006
And here's the driver's side.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2008 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALLTRBO:

And here's the driver's side.

Once you've been bitten by the WBV (Wide body virus), you never want to go back!

Nice photo shop, now I need to check Whoddeannie's thread for rims.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 10-18-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2008 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Damnnnnnnnn !

What rims are those ??

I Iove those !
DeLorean00

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2008 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Holy hell!!! That photoshop looks great!! Awesome choice on wheels!!
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2008 03:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:
Damnnnnnnnn !

What rims are those ??

I Iove those !

may have answered my own question ?

They look like the i forged aero wheels.

http://iforged.com/us/wheels_detail.php?WhID=1

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2008 06:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Correct, they're iForged Aero's. I actually didn't know that until I found the picture again and read the thread. I had just searched Google images for "deep dish wheels" and found the pic and liked the wheels, and the angle was close enough.

The thread is here:
http://www.digitalcorvettes...thread.php?p=1101906

For the record in case of confusion, the photoshop (actually Paint Shop Pro 9 ) was done entirely by my own will, Mailmule didn't ask me to, so his tastes may differ entirely.
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2008 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ALLTRBO

2023 posts
Member since Mar 2006

Originally posted by madcurl:
Nice photo shop, now I need to check Whoddeannie's thread for rims.

If you're referring to a PS, I haven't done one on his. It sounds like he's close enough to installing the real ones!

Mailmule

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2008 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MailmuleSend a Private Message to MailmuleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now wth am I going to do? The rims do look incredible. I only wish it was that easy in the real world. They have to cost a good 1500 each (plus rubber) I only paid 1000 for the car. Thanks for the pic, I have put it as my online Album cover.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2008 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just find something similair. THere are many manufacturers out there and several have the very simlair if not the almost exact same style. Bewarned however, going with the widebody means big bucks on wheels, either that or you have to use spacers.
Mailmule

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2008 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MailmuleSend a Private Message to MailmuleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I knew that going in I guess. This is my idea for the hood. Pontiac style Ram air from a Trans AM

Another style of rims:

[This message has been edited by Mailmule (edited 10-19-2008).]

Rolling Thunder

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2008 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hope those tires don't rub... be careful of that.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock