doityourself - 1$ - true cold air intake by Fieromaniac
Started on: 07-15-2007 12:20 PM
Replies: 22 (9526 views)
Last post by: IMSA GT on 08-18-2018 12:50 PM
Fieromaniac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2007 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
here my cheap homebrewed true cold air intake

disassembly

This images is larger than 102400 bytes. Click to view.

new tube (PVC water hose)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2007 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wonderful, or you could take a screwdriver and knock out the baffle in the water seperator for free, either way it is a true cold air intake in stock form

if you add up the area of all of the little holes in your custom plate on the outside that is looking to be the most restrictive part
maybe buy a side scoup from the fiero store for $30

[This message has been edited by $Rich$ (edited 07-15-2007).]

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2007 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by $Rich$:

wonderful, or you could take a screwdriver and knock out the baffle in the water seperator for free, either way it is a true cold air intake in stock form

You don't even need to do that. The baffle does not restrict airflow.

Here's how Mister did his. It's the same as mine, but he took pics and posted the thread first.
I only use a short section of PVC as an adapter at the fender, and use an automotive 3" flex air cleaner hose to go from the fender to the OEM air cleaner canister. That way the flex host connects directly to the bottom of the air cleaner housing.

It sounds better than stock, but I seriously doubt it makes any performance difference. I did it for the sound.

Gotta love finding new ways to do stuff.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 07-15-2007).]

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2007 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by $Rich$:

if you add up the area of all of the little holes in your custom plate on the outside that is looking to be the most restrictive part
maybe buy a side scoup from the fiero store for $30

its not for performance only for sound and the solid PVC tube carries the sound very well
FIER086

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2007 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIER086Send a Private Message to FIER086Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Excellent mod!

Can it be done with a 4 cylinder.
tednelson83

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2007 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it can be done to ANY fiero.
BIGG_SEXXY

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2007 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BIGG_SEXXYClick Here to visit BIGG_SEXXY's HomePageSend a Private Message to BIGG_SEXXYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What size PVC pipe did you guys use?

Thanks

-Tom

------------------
(>-_-)> A signature Is suppose to be in here? <(-_-< )

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2007 02:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would use dual layered aluminum gas flue ducting instead. It is fire rated as PVC isnt.
http://www.jpmark.com.au/Te.../1172548031867-4775/
FOR USE ON RANGEHOODS
fiero853

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2009 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero853Send a Private Message to fiero853Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

It is fire rated as PVC isnt.

Does it really matter, if my car is on fire the last thing I am going to worry about is if the intake tube is on fire or not......lol

by the way sorry about the fires down there... hope the get the ones that set the fires.

Gary
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2009 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hmm... cold air intake, umm that is free it comes with the car.
you CAN NOT do anything to make it better. The Fiero has been dyno'd with and with out the intake, no change.
stop believing marketing propaganda. if not wanna buy a bridge? or some swap land?
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2009 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fieromaniac:

its not for performance only for sound and the solid PVC tube carries the sound very well

PFF
System Bot
Daniel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2009 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanielClick Here to visit Daniel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanielEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anything done to remove a restriction in the intake and keep it a cold air intake system can't hurt.

I used a Cavalier air box from late 80's as well as a similar air tube to the side and the stock fiero lid, which uses the stock fiero filter. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/096287.html

I cut out the bracket that holds the filter can, and built a 120 degree elbow out of two tight 90 degree abs elbows. This elbow is more of a offset 95 degree elbow that is shifted towards the front of the car at the bottom. I also used a rubber gasket instead of the original cork

I removed the bottom cross and made a insert out of 3” abs that can be seen in the next photo

Some air filter oil is visible from on the filter gasket in this next picture.

I drilled out the mount for a filter minder, which indicates when a filter is clogged.

The removal of the intake muffler had increased intake sound on the driver’s side.
However the new air box easily doubled this intake whistle. I have not driven long with this mod, and it is sitting for winter, but those few weeks before storage has shown the car seemed slightly more responsive to throttle movement. I believe the main improvement is the removal of the cross that caused a lot of turbulence, now improving airflow. This is on a stock V-6, however this change was done on the idea of keeping this style intake for a possible engine swap.

Be sure to get the air temp sensor that comes with the filter can, as the hole needs to be plugged, and it plugs in directly to the stock fiero harness. I believe you would not have to move the evap canister if you make a different snorkel from the air box to the throttle body.

------------------
1988 Fiero GT

Daniel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2009 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanielClick Here to visit Daniel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanielEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Daniel

282 posts
Member since Jun 2003
If you dont want to go as far as I did you can cut just cut the cross in the lower bracket, and the cavalier air box will slide over the steel ring going up, and use the stock lower elbow. This way you only have to cut the cross out of both the cavalier air box and the lower mount. If going this route I would suggest using some silicone to ensure a good seal and that the air box does not move, although this would not be necessary. My way the air seal is good enough and the friction fit allows for removal without worrying about if it will shift at all. You could also use Rodney's intake base splitter which needs to be welded in, to me this cavalier air box was cheaper, and plastic so now we only need to worry about the lid rusting out.
Coinage

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2009 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoinageClick Here to visit Coinage's HomePageSend a Private Message to CoinageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nevermind

[This message has been edited by Coinage (edited 02-28-2009).]

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post02-28-2009 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice fresh idea there Daniel. I think that what you did is a very clean looking system. + for you. I just did the 3" pvc thing the other day. Folks say that there is no power gain. So what? The intake sound is awesome. I had an officer (not pulled over, just drooling on my paint) actually mention the sound of the air intake. So, I believe that it was worth the effort to install it. I may have to copy your idea here soon.

------------------

Daniel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2009 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanielClick Here to visit Daniel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanielEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got this idea from Fierosound who installed this style filter box, with an open top and scoop from above, so I cannot take full credit for this mod.

I posted this for others to use if they desire, my main reason was not for more power, but future engine swap. I do not believe this filter box would be too much of a restriction for even the 3.8 sc engines (they had smaller filters and throttlebodies under 3") I did however want to free up the intake of any possible restriction and anything causing turbulance without sacrificing the ability to easily change the filter, so I did not want to hide the filter in the fenderwell. I also wanted to re-use the K&N filter that I already had without the need to weld anything.

------------------
1988 Fiero GT

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2009 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's part of the system for my 3800SC series III that I put together. It uses 3 1/2" diameter aluminum pipe that connects to a 3 1/2" 90* boat exhaust elbow that attaches to a 3 1/2" opening flange that was welded in at the bottom of the air filer housing. . Seems to provide plenty of air for my V6.

Also put a gob of silicone sealant beween the air tube and gas filler pipe to prevent vibration

As for the water separator delete or modification with 3" pipe that straightens out the air flow; this system will breath much better than the stock system where the air has to go around an obstruction and a bend. The question then is does the 2.8L need more flow? Probably not.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE WILDCAT"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 02-28-2009).]

86_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2011 03:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86_FieroSend a Private Message to 86_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That PVC tube looks to be about 2 inches?

------------------
Now, if my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 MPH, your going to see some serious s***!

If you give me torque and you take horsepower I'll kick your a$$ EVERY time.

Life begins at 200mph.

timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2011 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"believe the main improvement is the removal of the cross that caused a lot of turbulence, now improving airflow."

Um, you cant improve airflow upstream of the air filter. it has to take a 90 degree turn through the air filter and then funnel through the outlet.

Glad you are tinkering, but you CAN measure improvements if you get the right tool to measure it. http://cgi.ebay.com/Dwyer-M...&hash=item2a0e61f251

Notice it measures in inches of water and maxes out at 2". this is 13.6 times more sensitive than inches of mercury 1 inch of mercury = 13.6 inches of water. 1 inch of water = 0.0339 bar pressure.

I used one of those to prove that a K&N filter is useless in a fiero for more air flow, you need to get one if you want to verify that any of your changes actually made any improvement.

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_111109/article.html for a lot more info on the subject

[This message has been edited by timgray (edited 05-11-2011).]

Daniel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2011 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanielClick Here to visit Daniel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanielEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used 3" inside diameter abs into the bottom of the air filter box.
Visigoth87Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2018 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Visigoth87FieroSend a Private Message to Visigoth87FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I definitely notice a difference in throttle response with the modification .
More air more power .
PFF
System Bot
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2018 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i plan on doing this to my car soon.
jon

------------------
I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun! 3800 SC swap to come!

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2018 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shouldn't this be in the How-To section....not the Construction Zone?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock