Started on: 10-07-2005 04:02 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: magot on 10-16-2005 12:19 AM
Mister

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2005 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Some info on CRX intake (or just run a search):

CRX intake HIGHLY recommended
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/054373.html
Got my CRX CIA on ; )
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/054922.html
Modifying the CRX intake
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20050818-2-059600.html
Installing an aftermarket Cold Air Intake - by Zoom88
http://www.thefieropage.com/Fiero/Fiero__Mods/CAI/cai.html

After you know all that…

While considering a CRX intake for improved air flow and sound
I've decided to try out Formula88's suggestion to start by removing the water diverter.

Originally posted by Formula88:
A good compromise is removing the water diverter box in the fenderwell and running a flex hose from the fender vent to the bottom of the OEM air cleaner. You get some intake roar, and the hiss is much more muted.
Since the OEM air intake setup is just as good as no air cleaner at all on a dyno (for a stock 2.8) you don't lose any HP. The only benefits are sound, and for the CRX CAI, looks.

The water diverter in the fender well

The removal process if very simple:
1. Remove driver side rear wheel
2. Remove bolts holding front of wheel well cover
3. Unbolt 5 screws holding the Water Diverter
4. Remove Water Diverter
4a. Think of something creative to do with this odd shape plastic box - some say if you merge it with the
stock subwoofer it resembles a Pegasus
5. Replace gap with 3" PVC Air Intake Hose or equivalent
5a. Optional is connecting a Flex hose to the bottom of the OEM air cleaner
6. Use 3" metal ties to secure hoses in place
7. Test and wrap it up.

The Mod!
I am aware this is not the best hose for the job, but it was handy.

Don't expect too much…The result is not going to throw you off your feet, nor will it make anyone ask you
if you've got a turbo under the hood

You do get a bit more intake sound and less restrictive air flow to your engine at very little cost!!

And to prove that I have conducted a series of "highly scientific" tests that concludes in running the engine @ idle
and holding a piece of (scientific) paper against the outer intake vent.
You can see these amazing tests in the videos below
Click here to watch - Fiero Intake BEFORE
Click here to watch - Fiero Intake AFTER
Or just take my word for it… After this mod the piece of paper sticks to the vent, before it didn't.
Aren’t we all excited now...

Anyway It's around 2 hours worth of fun with your Fiero…It's worth it

(The author of this post or any of the good members on this forum takes no responsibility to any harm/damage caused to you or your Fiero by applying this simple mod…good luck)

[This message has been edited by Mister (edited 10-07-2005).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2005 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Nice pics! That's exactly what I did. The only thing I did different was I took the rubber elbow off the bottom of the air cleaner canister, too, and ran the flex hose all the way to the housing. You do get more intake sound, but it's not as loud as the CRX intake. A good option for people who think the CRX CAI is too loud.

I used a flexible air cleaner duct from Pep Boys. Just a regular 3" round flex hose made to go from an air cleaner to the fender. It also has the nice advantage of built in clamps, so you don't need the metal band clamps.
To attach it to the fender vent, I clamped it to a piece of 3" dia. PVC that was about 2" long. I then took the rubber grommet in the fender vent and stretched that over the PVC. It's been working great for over a year.

Your air filter will get dirty quicker, so keep a check on it.

Thanks for posting the pics. I never took pics when I did mine.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 10-07-2005).]

865spd

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2005 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 865spdClick Here to visit 865spd's HomePageSend a Private Message to 865spdDirect Link to This Post
ok so how do i pop off the plastic screw like things without breaking them, i'd try but i don't want to ruin them.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2005 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 865spd:

ok so how do i pop off the plastic screw like things without breaking them, i'd try but i don't want to ruin them.

The ones holding the wheel liner on? Unscrew the center, but it probably won't come all the way out. Then take a pair of needle nose pliers and grasp the screw head and pull it out slightly. Then you can remove the fastener.

It's a generic fastener and you can get them in various sizes from any auto parts stores.

865spd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2005 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 865spdClick Here to visit 865spd's HomePageSend a Private Message to 865spdDirect Link to This Post
thanks, much apreciated.
Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2005 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZDirect Link to This Post
thank-you very much for this info. i will be removing my crx cai in the morning and doing this mod.

------------------
Indy, 85 gt, Formula,GMC Indy Hauler project truck, 00 Navigator(9 tv's,22's,ghostflames,PS2,X-Box,etc...)69 Camaro 400hp350 4sp

Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2005 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Hey Greg Z, Since you have the CRX CAI on now, please let us know what difference do you hear/feel after the conversion.

Thanks,

------------------

Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2005 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Took the Fiero out for a drive yesterday…

Maybe it's my imagination or maybe it's the holes in my muffler getting bigger,
But my Fiero sounded different.

Drove with the driver window down and the engine roar sounded ever so better…Go figure

[This message has been edited by Mister (edited 10-09-2005).]

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2005 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Well, with my setup, the engine vent IS right next to your ears, you know.
On my car, it gets louder as the revs climb, and seems to hit a resonanace around 5700 RPM - it really starts howling then. Almost makes it a shame to shift, but you won't mistake when you're about to hit redline.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 10-09-2005).]

Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2005 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mister:

Hey Greg Z, Since you have the CRX CAI on now, please let us know what difference do you hear/feel after the conversion.

Thanks,

got it switched back to stock except without the water diverter, and drove it a lil. i still cannot hear any intake roar but that god awful hissing is mostly gone. like i said the borla may be drowning the roar out. i will install on my formula with factory exhaust and see if can hear it.

magot

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2005 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for magotSend a Private Message to magotDirect Link to This Post
hey, I just got done doing this little mod, It sounds pretty cool, Theres some more of a hiss going on, And the paper stuck to the vent to. I even found my wing nut that fell down in there last year.
PFF
System Bot
Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2005 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Hey magot

It is a cool mod, If your not expecting too much of it.
I enjoy the change in sound a lot.

And yea, Congrats on finding your nut

[This message has been edited by Mister (edited 10-15-2005).]

magot

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2005 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for magotSend a Private Message to magotDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mister:

Hey magot

It is a cool mod, If your not expecting too much of it.
I enjoy the change in sound a lot.

And yea, Congrats on finding your nut

lol, It does sound better, and thanks

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock