Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Fool Everybody. Stereo looks stock, sounds great. (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Fool Everybody. Stereo looks stock, sounds great. by fierosound
Started on: 04-05-2007 10:52 AM
Replies: 186 (35115 views)
Last post by: FieroJuice on 12-19-2015 09:06 PM
AZStreak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2007 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AZStreakSend a Private Message to AZStreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That`s gonna sound really cool. And great idea making it look stock No more stolen stereos

------------------

Sig by F-I-E-R-O

IP: Logged
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2007 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

Did you do something to increase the impedance of the components? The info I saw said they were 2 ohm... isn't that a little rough on the head unit?

I also noticed that AFTER I got them and am worried that it may eventually kill the deck. But I think I saw something about the crossover also acting like a buffer, which makes it less problematic than connecting just a 2ohm speaker directly to the deck. That may protect it from burning out. I definitely didn't want to push my luck by also putting a 2ohm load on the rear channels to the headrest speakers.

It seems you can wire a 2ohm resistor (big white ceramic rectangular one) inline on the positive lead. This will cut the volume a bit but also create a 4ohm load. http://www.ls1tech.com/foru...ex.php/t-396064.html

I really pushed the volume when I tested the system, but this car still hasn't been driven daily (engine not in yet) to really work the deck, so until then I won't really know what may happen. If the head unit gets REALLY hot, that's a good indicator it's being driven hard, and I'll probably install the 2ohm resistor.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-22-2007).]

carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2007 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there any real advantage to using the components up front or would something like the previously mentioned 4x6 plates work just as well in the 4x10 slot? Just curious... Infinity also makes a 4ohm plate besides the 2ohm...
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2007 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

Is there any real advantage to using the components up front or would something like the previously mentioned 4x6 plates work just as well in the 4x10 slot? Just curious... Infinity also makes a 4ohm plate besides the 2ohm...

You could install a 4x6 plate up front, but the maximum size of the woofer will be 3.5" or maybe 4". A 5.25" woofer can reproduce more midrange/midbass.

carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2007 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good point... I was just looking and the "Reference" series component set is 4 ohm... I don't know what the sound quality difference would be though...
sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2007 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am very interested in the PIE MP3 interface device.

A couple questions:
- I bought a 2001 Monsoon CD player off ebay. Works great, but how can you tell for sure it has cd changer capability?
- If mine is not cd changer capable do I have other options?
- I see the PIE adapter only works with iPod. Are other models that work with other MP3 players?
-Any chance you could post a pic of how the PIE plugs in to the back and wire harness?
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2007 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sjmaye:

A couple questions:
- I bought a 2001 Monsoon CD player off ebay. Works great, but how can you tell for sure it has cd changer capability?
- If mine is not cd changer capable do I have other options?
- I see the PIE adapter only works with iPod. Are other models that work with other MP3 players?
-Any chance you could post a pic of how the PIE plugs in to the back and wire harness?

1. I got mine from KRU ( www.replacmentradios.com ) and he tested the unit to make sure the factory CD interface works with an adapter.
You may need a local radio service shop to "bench test" it for you.
2. If the CD interface does not work, I don't think there's any other way to get MP3 player to connect.
3. The interface pictured is for ANY MP3 player. It has 2 RCA jacks as an input. (I have a Dell DJ30)
4. The PIE adapter has one plug that plugs into the back on the deck. The other plug would be for the CD Changer if you had one. That's it.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-26-2007).]

87_FieroGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2007 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_FieroGTSend a Private Message to 87_FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Outstanding write up and information. + for you fierosound.

------------------

Visit my website!
David
2 Corinthians 5: 17
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT, 5 Speed
2006 Pontiac Grand Prix

sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2007 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hate to trim much of anything on my car. Can someone list the speaker model # of the ones that require the least amount of modification?
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2007 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok... xtant1.1 really hard to find... what would be a good alternative amp. Everything that I can find is way too high powered...

This is just a 40W RMS speaker with max rating of 80W... won't a 100W RMS amp be nuking the little guy? Just asking...

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 05-28-2007).]

Kaomkteek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2007 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaomkteekSend a Private Message to KaomkteekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just as a comment on the 4x6 install -- I have a set of Kappa 462.5 (i think? i don't have the box anymore, it was the top of the line plate speaker 2 years ago) installed in the rear pillars. They were a lot of "fun" to install -- you did have to do some fabrication/modifications to the housing. As I am driving them with a low pass cutoff from an amp, I wasn't too worried about super-high pressures inside the housing so I just filled the gaps with some plastic sealant. It's been a while so I've forgotten the details...but the sound is super-clear and extremely crisp for mids and highs. Very happy.

Now if only the kappa 6x9's from my grand am had a way to fit in without all this silly fabrication *sigh*. I like the write-up I've been considering the 5.25" component swap for a while. thanks!
PFF
System Bot
ambfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2007 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ambfieroSend a Private Message to ambfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I have been looking for a xtant1.1 and have not been able to find any. Any Ideas where to get one or one thats comparable?

------------------
In loving memory of Harold Hummel (PFF 4WHEEL)
1936-2004

sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2007 05:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kaomkteek:

just as a comment on the 4x6 install -- I have a set of Kappa 462.5 (i think? i don't have the box anymore, it was the top of the line plate speaker 2 years ago) installed in the rear pillars. They were a lot of "fun" to install -- you did have to do some fabrication/modifications to the housing. As I am driving them with a low pass cutoff from an amp, I wasn't too worried about super-high pressures inside the housing so I just filled the gaps with some plastic sealant. It's been a while so I've forgotten the details...but the sound is super-clear and extremely crisp for mids and highs. Very happy.

Now if only the kappa 6x9's from my grand am had a way to fit in without all this silly fabrication *sigh*. I like the write-up I've been considering the 5.25" component swap for a while. thanks!

I was wondering about that "fabrication" thing. Is there a set of component panel speakers for the B-pillar that will bolt up without modifications?
sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2007 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I bought one of the GM9-AUX devices. I am getting no sound

A couple questions:
I have the PIE device connected to my mp3 player headphone jack. I press CD twice to switch from the CD player to the "CD changer". The display shows CD1 Track 1. I play a song thru from the MP3 player and I get nothing. Switch back to CD and sound works great.

Any ideas?
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2007 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That was a GREAT read. Thanks Fierosound.
Chris_narf

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2007 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_narfSend a Private Message to Chris_narfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fierosound, good write up. I've been following this thread for a while now. I've got a few questions I've been wondering about:

1.) I actually have the "Monsoon" CD Player as well. Since it was installed by the previous owner I'm not sure how it was wired. However, one of the things that I've noticed is that the power to the rears seams like next to nothing. Does anyone know what these things are supposed "realistically" push to the front and rear channels?

2.) With the rear speakers being close to the ears (88 GT, so in the B pillars) I've noticed that the stereo imaging kinda sucks. I've got some ideas that I may bring up in another thread when I have $$ to blow, but I'm curious how you or others have dealt with this?

3.) I've got the opportunity to pick up an older (5 years or so) Pioneer Premier head unit that was top of the line way back when for cheap. IMHO I would think it would blow the "Monsoon" head unit out of the water. Also, would it be enough to power the front components you used; I've traditionally only used components with an external amp. Comments?

------------------
-Chris
'85 V6 SE 4sp (SOLD)
'88 GT Auto (fun car)
'03 Sentra SE-R Spec V (Daily driver)

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2007 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I bought one of the GM9-AUX devices. I am getting no sound

A couple questions:
I have the PIE device connected to my mp3 player headphone jack. I press CD twice to switch from the CD player to the "CD changer". The display shows CD1 Track 1. I play a song thru from the MP3 player and I get nothing. Switch back to CD and sound works great.

Any ideas?

That sounds right about the display switching to CD1 Track 1. According to KRU, not all Delco units can control a changer or accept an interface.

He would be the best person to ask here on PFF. He may be able to suggest how to troubleshoot what's happening. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/011110.html

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 06-03-2007).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2007 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierosound

15145 posts
Member since Nov 1999

Originally posted by Chris_narf:

Fierosound, good write up. I've been following this thread for a while now. I've got a few questions I've been wondering about:

1.) I actually have the "Monsoon" CD Player as well. Since it was installed by the previous owner I'm not sure how it was wired. However, one of the things that I've noticed is that the power to the rears seams like next to nothing. Does anyone know what these things are supposed "realistically" push to the front and rear channels?

2.) With the rear speakers being close to the ears (88 GT, so in the B pillars) I've noticed that the stereo imaging kinda sucks. I've got some ideas that I may bring up in another thread when I have $$ to blow, but I'm curious how you or others have dealt with this?

3.) I've got the opportunity to pick up an older (5 years or so) Pioneer Premier head unit that was top of the line way back when for cheap. IMHO I would think it would blow the "Monsoon" head unit out of the water. Also, would it be enough to power the front components you used; I've traditionally only used components with an external amp. Comments?

1. First thing would be to pull the unit and check the wiring. http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/GM-Wiring.pdf
Maybe he was too cheap to buy the proper adapter harness. http://replacementradios.co..._261&products_id=166
There may be something wrong with the unit. Get it bench tested by a shop that repairs factory decks.

2. Do number 1 first, and check what you have for rear speakers. Then play with the balance of the front/rear fader.

3. Pioneers are decent units. What you get for sound depends largely on your speakers and whether they are a good match to the power you have. You want high efficiency speakers (+90db) with a power rating of about 30-40 watts or so. The cheap so called "300 watt" speakers are sometimes very inefficient (under 86db) and so they DO require lots of power to get anything.

Running 20 watts through a quality component set that handles 40 watts will sound great. Run that same 20 watts through a Walmart on sale "300 watt" cheapie, it likely won't sound any good, and most people will automatically blame the "lack of power" on the CD unit. True, the speaker is underpowered because it is not a good match, and it is likely inefficient.

Most people still think you need +500 watts for subwoofers - B.S. In my GT I'm only running 100 watts to each subwoofer and it has plenty of volume and punch. I won most of my competitions running the same subwoofers on 50 watts before I upgraded to the Mcintosh amplifier. But these subs are very efficient and rated at 150 watts. If I had 1000 watt subs - I'd NEED near 1000 watts of amplifer power.

Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2007 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was looking at that sub you recommended that fits the stock enclosure and noticed its magnet is way smaller than the one one the on the rodney sub. Is it actually more powerful?

I know Pyle is crap but this may be good for this application?

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-...id=1183597068&sr=1-2

Couple more for anyone else looking:

http://www.m-99.co.uk/Car_A...inch_subwoofers.html

------------------
www.FieroDomain.com
Over 120 Fiero Links, Articles, Images, Diagnostics

"If any car is both the parade and the rain, it is the Fiero"

[This message has been edited by Xanth (edited 07-04-2007).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2007 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xanth:

I was looking at that sub you recommended that fits the stock enclosure and noticed its magnet is way smaller than the one one the on the rodney sub. Is it actually more powerful?

Rodney's sub has a dust cover on the magnet (so it looks bigger) and is 8 ohms. I don't know any other specs. The Tang Band has a Neodymium magnet. These are smaller and give you more output with less power because they are more efficient. Typically, tweeters have Neodymium magnets for this reason. Most importantly, the Tang Band subwoofer has 9.25mm of travel making it a "long throw" subwoofer. That moves a lot of air which is what gives you the bass you want.

Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2007 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Rodney's sub has a dust cover on the magnet (so it looks bigger) and is 8 ohms. I don't know any other specs. The Tang Band has a Neodymium magnet. These are smaller and give you more output with less power because they are more efficient. Typically, tweeters have Neodymium magnets for this reason. Most importantly, the Tang Band subwoofer has 9.25mm of travel making it a "long throw" subwoofer. That moves a lot of air which is what gives you the bass you want.

Thank you, exactly what I as looking to know. I've grown used to judging a speaker by the size of its magnet

------------------
www.FieroDomain.com
Over 120 Fiero Links, Articles, Images, Diagnostics

"If any car is both the parade and the rain, it is the Fiero"

PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^^^
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2007 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Made a change because I bought an 80GB iPod Video Classic. I removed the P.I.E GM9-AUX auxiliary input adapter (RCA inputs) and connected a P.I.E PXDP iPod adapter (PXHGM1 cable connects to deck). Once set up, the adapter turns on/off the iPod automatically anytime the radio is on. It also charges the iPod at the same time.

How it works. I haven't played with it extensively, but here's what I've found. The deck "sees" the iPod as a CD Changer once you switch the deck to that function. You can still control the iPod for music selections, to set it to play all songs in a Genre for example. Next/Back, Fast Forward, etc all work. I think Disk up/down functions will jump to next Playlist (I haven't created any, so I'm not sure).

Using those controls from the deck, with it's large buttons, is easier (and safer) that trying to fiddle around with the iPod control wheel.

PXDP requires a deck specific harness. PXHGM1 for 9-pin Delco units.

PXDPKG kit includes 3 GM harnesses, iPod holder.

apps http://peripheralelectronic...iPod_Interfacing.pdf
manual http://peripheralelectronic...nstructions/PXDP.pdf

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2007 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierosound

15145 posts
Member since Nov 1999

A couple questions:

Did you get this working? I had a similar problem when I first installed it. I found that disconnecting power to both the deck and interface would sometimes "reset" the deck to recognize it. Assuming everything is wired correctly AND that deck is a 96-99 unit that is CD Changer control capable, it should work.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-30-2007).]

sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2007 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I did. Sorta. To get a reasonable volume level I had to turn the volume to almost the max. Causes hiss. As a result I am not using it.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2007 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes, I did. Sorta. To get a reasonable volume level I had to turn the volume to almost the max. Causes hiss. As a result I am not using it.

I never had a problem with the Dell MP3 player I was using. I used the line-out connections from it's docking port - not the headphone jack.
sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2007 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The line out may be the problem. I have no line out. I used the headphone jack. Adjusting the vloume up helps alot, but still not quite right. When I get time I need to try some other unit.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2007 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I purchased the TANG BAND W5-1138SM 5-1/4" Neodymium Subwoofer from Parts Express
http://www.partsexpress.com...?&Partnumber=264-831

Here's a comparison of the Rodney's replacement sub to the larger Tang Band subwoofer

This is a REALLy great thread.

I'm really interested in this subwoofer in particular, but I have a couple of questions. The Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis was also available with a factory subwoofer system. It ALSO happens to be a 5.25" speaker. I'm considering a new speaker for both the Crown Vic and my Pontiac Fiero. I noticed that the frequency range on this speaker only goes down to 45hz. If I was to listen to something like Prodigy or something like that, I probably wouldn't hear the really low frequency notes, would I? I have a speaker that is of lower quality, and it goes to a lower frequency. Would one of you audiophiles have an opinion on that? With that massive damper on the cone, I can only assume it'll produce a nice punch, but will it hit those LOW LOWs?

Thanks!

------------------
Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2004 Volkswagen Beetle Convertible (Wife's Car)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6 (3.2) 5-Speed
1984 Porsche 944 5-Speed
1981 Pontiac TransAm (Olds 455BB)
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

Brastic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2007 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrasticClick Here to visit Brastic's HomePageSend a Private Message to BrasticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great write up and thanks for the template.

For my 88 GT I went with the Pioneer TS-C1353 5-1/4" component speakers in the front. The passenger side when in with no problems. I did run into an issue on the drivers side. The woofer has interference issues. I redesigned the template to move the woofer over about 1/2". I still have the install the factory sub box and install plate speakers in the back. I can say that I am very happy with just changing out the front speakers.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2007 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Brastic:

I did run into an issue on the drivers side. The woofer has interference issues. I redesigned the template to move the woofer over about 1/2".

Glad you could make it fit. I forgot to mention that magnet size will vary by manufacturer. The bigger the magnet, the more problems may occur with the fit. The Infinity's I used have small high power magnets.

Brastic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2007 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrasticClick Here to visit Brastic's HomePageSend a Private Message to BrasticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What about bass blockers? I was worried about too much bass though the little speakers so I installed 600Hz high pass filters. This might have been too high. I am now thinking about taking them off or getting 300Hz.
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2007 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Brastic:

What about bass blockers? I was worried about too much bass though the little speakers so I installed 600Hz high pass filters. This might have been too high. I am now thinking about taking them off or getting 300Hz.

Check the frequency range of the speakers in the spec sheet. You'd want the high-pass somewhere above it's low frequency limit - probably in the 100-120hz area.
PRFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2007 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PRFieroSend a Private Message to PRFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fierosound,

I just bought an infinity koppa perfect 5.1. They are very similar to the ones you have installed, however, they can handle a little more power. I cut out the template you provided but I am having trouble fitting the speaker. The rubber trim around the speaker is hitting the Fiero speaker cover. It seems like the speaker needs to go down further to allow the speaker cover to fit properly. I also had to trim out the dash where the cut wood piece rests in order for the speaker to fit. Did you re-use the original speaker cover on your car? Did you have to trim the dash with your speakers? Does the original speaker cover fits flush with dashboard? Can you take some pictures of the installed front speakers? Thank you very much!

Pedro
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2007 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PRFiero:

I also had to trim out the dash where the cut wood piece rests in order for the speaker to fit. Did you re-use the original speaker cover on your car? Did you have to trim the dash with your speakers? Does the original speaker cover fits flush with dashboard? Can you take some pictures of the installed front speakers? Thank you very much!

Look on page 1 of this thread for a picture of the installed plate. With the grill in place it looks stock, no point taking a picture of that. Of course some trimming is needed for clearance of the "basket" of the 5" midrange speaker where they overlap. Once your plate has the speaker hole cutout, it's easy enough to lay it in place and mark the area that needs trimming. Did you not do this?

PRFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2007 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PRFieroSend a Private Message to PRFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did, I trimmed the dashboard like you are showing above in order for the speaker to go all the way down; however, the plastic cover (original piece that covers the speaker) does not go down enough. Is this plastic cover what you call the "basket"? I have not trim the cover at all. I am sorry for the question, but as you can tell I am new at this and I am not too familiar with the part name. Thank you for your reply!
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2007 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PRFiero:

the plastic cover (original piece that covers the speaker) does not go down enough. Is this plastic cover what you call the "basket"? I have not trim the cover at all.

The basket is what holds the magnet on the speaker. The cover is the grill and does not need to be trimmed.

Did you check to see that the "legs" of the grill fit through their openings on the speaker plate? It sounds like one of them is hanging up if you didn't cut the plate properly. Hold the plate in your hand see if the grill's legs fit through (locations marked X)

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 11-30-2007).]

3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2007 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here we're working with an existing enclosure. This Tang Band subwoofer speaker's specs call for a SEALED enclosure volume of .19 cu/ft. The Fiero sub-housing is just under at about .16 cu/ft which is why we stuff polyfill into the enclosure. It works very well. The bass is tight and crisp, but obviously not a low as it would be possible with a 10" or 12" speaker. There's compromises to be sure, but this exercise is to get more with what you have. For MORE bass, you'd need to build behind-the-seat or trunk-mounted subs.

Do you think adding bass shakers under the seats will improve the bass. What is your take on bass shakers?

Great write-up BTW!!

[This message has been edited by 3.8 SC (edited 11-30-2007).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2007 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 3.8 SC:

Do you think adding bass shakers under the seats will improve the bass. What is your take on bass shakers?

I never had anything to do with them so I can't comment. Others have used them. Found these using SEARCH.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050410-2-058573.html
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...040710-1-039485.html
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...020825-1-017952.html

Some on eBay http://electronics.search.e...fromZR40QQsacatZ3270

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 12-01-2007).]

3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2007 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the input!!

Don Z.
multmigs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2007 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for multmigsSend a Private Message to multmigsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PXDP requires a deck specific harness. PXHGM1 for 9-pin Delco units.

PXDPKG kit includes 3 GM harnesses, iPod holder.

apps http://peripheralelectronic...iPod_Interfacing.pdf
manual http://peripheralelectronic...nstructions/PXDP.pdf

Is there a place online that sells this stuff?? i can't find anything at my local shop or circuit city?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock