Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  ecotec swap (Page 13)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 25 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
ecotec swap by wftb
Started on: 11-16-2006 10:44 PM
Replies: 970 (81692 views)
Last post by: wftb on 09-20-2021 04:13 PM
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2010 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wftb:

And, here I was complaining about being cold while working on my 53 F100 in my garage today (45 degrees in North GA). I'm going to have to "man up!"
IP: Logged
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2010 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
shed is warmer now .its insulated with 2 feet of snow all around it .head is back on :

more pics tomorrow
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2010 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the cylinder head is back on and torqued down .the oem head gasket had some sort of sealer on both sides and cleaning it off was a pain .but after i got it off i could see the need for sealant so i sprayed both sides of the cometic metal gasket with permatex spray a gasket .here is the gasket in place with ARP head studs installed:
Goldenfoot

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2010 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GoldenfootSend a Private Message to GoldenfootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am so envious! Good choice on internals! Do you plan on putting more boost to it? Any change to the valve train? Cams, higher rate springs? I have a '06 Cobalt SS supercharged. I at the moment can only dream to do what you are doing! Im loving your build!
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2010 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i am not changing the valve train at all .i hope to get a greddy profec and then up the boost to about 14 psi .that should be do able with my present equipment .hoping that will give me around 280 HP .thanks for the comments , kind of cold in the shed now but the wife's away and i need to get out there.....
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2010 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

wftb

3692 posts
Member since Jun 2005
having a little trouble getting the timing chain on in the right spot .i used nail polish to mark where the chain was on the sprokets, position of cams and crankshaft so i could just put everything back the way it was .but i want the chain back in exactly the same spot so i can check the positioning by the factory marks .but i am getting slop where i dont need it right now and that may turn out to be imposible without taking the front cover off , something i am avoiding .i have all day tomorrow to figure it out ,dont go back in to work until tuesday .its winter big time here, been storming all week:

my new digital torque wrench:

the head back on
neverendingproject

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2010 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for neverendingprojectSend a Private Message to neverendingprojectEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wftb, where did you get your shop? I have one from Harbor Freight and it's just too narrow to work around the sides of the car but this one looks much better.

Thanks,

------------------
Alan Frazier

'84 2m4 Northstar 5 speed
'84 3800SCII sold
'86 GT-'92 3.4 TDC 5 speed(sold)

wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2010 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i got it from a place called "give me shelter " in uxbridge ont .they have a website with all the sizes available .mine is 11 X32 .two mods i did were
1 .built a pressure treated platform out of 2X4's and 3/4 " plywood .
2.put a 30 X 40 outer tarp over top of the whole thing and screwed it down to the platform .sunlight kills these buildings so i would rather buy a 100 dollar tarp every 3 years than a 700 dollar cover every 5 years .also this bldg has stitched seams that leak a bit so the tarp cures that.at first i was not that happy with my choice but with the platform and the tarp it has held up to some huge winds .it started howling around here about a month ago and it hasnt stopped yet .i live about 150 yards from lake huron .some nights the lake has been so noisy we have worn earplugs to be able to sleep .
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2010 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so much for working on the car today.40 mph winds from due north so i had to rope the door shut and call it a day .
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2010 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well i have had a change in plans .while trying to get the pully off to remove the front cover so i could get the cam chain in the right position , i managed to spin the cam drive sprocket on the crankshaft .i did not think that would even be possible but i did it .so that screw up combined with being worried about the scoring in #2 cylinder has convinced me to get another motor to put my new rods and pistons into .so off to a wreckers tomorrow for a low mile 2.2 , about 500.00 .but in the end , should work out better .except i also need another 100$ head gasket .oh well
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i got a low mile (25000 miles) engine for 375.00 .it was cheaper because it's oil pan got a crack in it from the accident it was in .good for me because i am using my old pan that is already drilled for the turbo oil return .on the ontario auto recyclers website you can brouse through way over 500 ecotec motors .spent today tearing it down and so far i am happy .nice smooth bores without sratches and no sludge anywhere .the cylinder bores still have factory cross hatch lines . there was a lot of carbon buildup on the tops of the pistons , this engine was running rich for some reason .this is from an 06 cobalt and there are some changes from my old engine .it has a drive by wire throttle body ,no cast in EGR passage ,a cast cover where the PS pump would have been , a redesigned cam chain tensioner and some extra mouning hardware that i assume holds on an engine cover .i took apart most of what i need to do to put in my new pistons in about 4 hours today .it is so easy to work on an engine that is on a stand .the plan is to get this engine ready to drop in to the car , and then wait till spring and tow my fiero over to the garage when the snow is gone .pics:

returnless fuel rail that i cant use:

no EGR casting , factory PS drive cover:

drive by wire TB has a low profile but i cant use it:

new style thermostat housing , may have to swap for the old one :

nice clean valve train:

finally a cam chain i can see the marker links on:

nice bores
PFF
System Bot
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

wftb

3692 posts
Member since Jun 2005
i ordered new clevite connecting rod bearings today .the old bearings were in good condition , at least until i managed to put a scratch in one of them while i was taking out the pistons .a new set from a local auto supply was 65.00 taxes in so i am not to upset about it .i have been reading the gm lsj build book and in the book it says to take the old rings off and use them on the new pistons .this way you do not have to hone the cylinders.so thats what i was going to do .but , the old rings dont fit the new pistons(too thick) so now i may have to give the cylinders a light hone . anyway , here is a side by side picture of stock versus wiseco pistons .you can see that the wiseco top ringland is almost twice as thick as stock :

my new bearings wont be in till monday so i cant put everything together till i am off work on weds morning .
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2010 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i ordered an LSJ head gasket today .i didnt want to risk reusing the cometic gasket even though the engine was never fired .i have not heard too many good things about the cometic gasket and the LSJ gasket is what most ecotec guys are using now .it holds boost really well and is 40.00 cheaper than the cometic head gasket .i ordered it from crate engine depot . com .
Goldenfoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2011 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GoldenfootSend a Private Message to GoldenfootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for keeping this updated! I love watching your build! Happy new year!
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2011 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks everyone for watching and happy new year to everyone here .
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2011 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i noticed an item on the ecotec forum recently .it was a group buy of 58X bolt on reluctor wheels .these allow you to run a 2.4L ecotec as well as the 2007 and newer 2.2 ecotec using the older ECM .my new motor is a 2006 because i did not think it would be possible to run anything newer with my wiring .nice to know that down the road i will be able to once again update to a nearly new motor .and since i am putting in a new motor , i have decided to do a cleanup on the engine compartment wiring and plumbing .i recently rerouted the heater core and turbo coolant feeds but i am still not happy with it .the main problem is that the outlets are at the back of the engine(next to the fiero trunk) and stick straight up .so to reach the fiero heater pipes , two rubber hoses have to go all the way around the engine .this is the mess i have now :

i have pulled off the charge tubing , intake tubing , exhaust pipes and muffler and turbo and manifold . i hope to improve on all of these items but at the same time i dont want to be without my fiero for the summer .i havent missed a summer since i did my swap so if i dont get it done on time , the old stuff goes back on .
this is a busy elbow .these taps will go on a new to me 2.4L ecotec intake manifold , as long as i can find one used .good for a 13hp gain over the 2.2 manifold and 3 lbs lighter.

my subaru 16g turbo is still in really good shape so i will continue to use it .bearings spin freely and no slop side to side .i am going to get a real turbo manifold and then use this plate that i made when i first went turbo to weld up a proper downpipe .

i will get a top mount log manifold and put the turbo back to its stock configuration , instead of this:

i have had my share of difficulties running my home brew turbo set up , but one thing i am proud of is that i have never broken down because of my setup .i like to make constant improvements and i hope to have a car that will be better and faster and still be as reliable as it has been up till now .
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2011 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

wftb

3692 posts
Member since Jun 2005
i meant to say 7X reluctor wheels . the new motors and 2.4L have the 58X wheels on the cranks.
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my cylinder head is back on my new motor .the lsj head gasket looks good and fit the 2.2 perfect.it has extra sealant on it that the cometic lacks .and since the machining lines can be seen (but not felt) i really think the sealant is needed.so , more pics:

back together ,and hopefully to stay together :

Eau_Rouge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2011 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Eau_RougeSend a Private Message to Eau_RougeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wftb, I'm very interested in putting in a 2.4L ecotec in my car. I'd love to get an LSJ but it's expensive and more complicated/time consuming to make work in a fiero. Plus, I don't want to spend a year or more doing the swap and 180-190 hp in my fiero would be good enough for me. Also, I have no interest in a 3.8 or 3.4 - I like the 4 cylinder engines.

You say that with 7x wheel, a 2.4L can be made to work in a fiero, what exactly do you need to make the 2.4L ecotec operational in a fiero?
I'd like to do a swap like yours, that is by using the engine, transmission, ECM, BCM and the wiring harnesses necessary to make the engine work - I don't want to have to worry about re-writing codes for the ECM or tuning - would like to do it plug and play if possible.

Given your knowledge of the ecotec in a fiero, is it possible to make a 2.4L ecotec plug and play in a fiero?
Should I avoid any particular year of 2.4L ecotec and why?
If I source an engine from a solstice, will the stock flywheel, clutch setup work with the 2.2L ecotec 5 speed transmission?

...Just trying to get an understanding of what's needed to do this swap. Given your knowledge, if you could put a list together, it would be greatly appreciated.

Great build and please keep updating!
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2011 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if you get the ecm, bcm ,steering collum with key in it ,fuel pump with harness , wiring harness from donor car ,gauge pod and gas pedal assembly ,then it is plug and play .the key is the wiring harness , this makes it easy .you will have to make your own motor mounts and figure out the DBW gas pedal mounting , and buy the shifter kit from roger thelin .you will have to extend some wires to reach the gauge cluster if you go that route.make sure you get hp tuners compatible model so you can disable the anti theft .i would stay away from the solstice motor because you cant use the exhaust manifold and i do not know about other problems that may crop up .LSJ's are dropping in price but you still cant get a good one for less than 900.00 .and that was without a harness or supercharger . i was thinking of going that route because the harness and tuning in my car can run an LSJ .but then i would need to sell my pistons and rods to recover some of the costs so i got the new 2.2 instead .i am now going to get a Hahn racecraft 20g turbo and manifold for the new motor.just waiting on the price....
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2011 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

wftb

3692 posts
Member since Jun 2005
sorry forgot to add that the purpose of the 7X reluctor wheel is so you can run a 2.4 with 2.2 wiring .people are then putting the 2.2 cylinder head on the 2.4 .the reason is it gives them a 400HP capable bottom end .the 2.2 wiring is not compatible with V V T hence the head swap . the easiest ecotec swap in to a fiero is the cav/sunfire 2.2 , no DBW and you can buy a whole car pretty cheap .2007 and newer models have the 58X wheel and wiring that is not compatible with older models .
PFF
System Bot
Eau_Rouge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2011 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Eau_RougeSend a Private Message to Eau_RougeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been reading in the hybrid section of ecotecforum.com regarding putting a 2.2 head on a 2.4 block in order to get rid of VVT and not have to use throttle by wire. May elect to go this route instead as it does leave open the possibility of tuning.

Regarding your build, with your upgraded pistons, rods and turbo, are you aiming for more power, increased reliability/durability or all of the above?
Do you expect the crank shaft to be a weak point as it is not forged?
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 06:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i am looking for more power and durability .the crank in a 2.2 is not forged but it is a very strong unit .it will handle over 500 hp ,a level i am not interested in .if you want a forged crank , the cheapest way is to go LSJ .a whole swap package from a wrecker will cost less than one forged crank from gm performance (and the eagle crank has been discontinued) .the 2.4 does not have a forged crank and it has powdered rods .they are heavier duty but only marginally .this is info i recently dug up that i think is accurate .the bottom end strength of 2.2 and 2.4 ecotecs comes from the massive crank girdle .a lightened crank would be nice but too much work for me .
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

wftb

3692 posts
Member since Jun 2005
double post , sorry .

[This message has been edited by wftb (edited 01-22-2011).]

wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i have today off and i am sitting here waiting for more parts , which apparently are slowly going through canada customs .these include my camshaft and drive pully bolts , so i cant put much more back together until they come in.in that order , i am also getting the ecotec build book and the 2.4L manifold .i was looking for a used one but no luck there and they are on for 10% off so why not .i have ordered the hahn racecraft HTZ-1085 turbo manifold and the matching 20G HTU-2910 turbocharger to go with it .bill hahn jr. put together a package with all the bolts and gaskets and gave me a great deal .this turbo is not the one listed for the cobalt ss ,it is a little cheaper as i dont need the cobalt specific parts .i am really glad i emailed hahn and asked them to put together a package .i saved 300.00 over what i would have paid if i had just ordered parts off the website , and the turbo should be better suited for the fiero .my old turbo is a 16G and i wanted to stick with that style of turbo as it spools really quick and produces boost at a low 1800 RPM .the 20G is capable of moving a lot more air and pressure can go way over what i need .i have to work nights all weekend , hopefully everything will be here by next week .
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

wftb

3692 posts
Member since Jun 2005
i made a mock up on my work bench using my old cyl head bolted to the bench .allows me to see how exhaust and turbo related stuff will fit without running outside all the time .here are some asorted pics.solstice manifold :

why i used to want to use it:

a better shot of my old turbo set up

i seem to be getting a useless collection of ecotec manifolds
Eau_Rouge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Eau_RougeSend a Private Message to Eau_RougeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wftb, I'm looking into purchasing an ecotec engine/trans - possibly the 2.0 supercharged if the price is right. Not too sure where to look. Do you have any sources that I can look into?

Thanks
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
check out the Ontario Automobile Recyclers Association website .once you are there , click on the "search for green parts " button .then you can do a make and model search for a 2006 cobalt ss or saturn ion redline and it will let you pick either the 2.4 or 2.0 supercharged motor .i found a 2.0 for less than 1000.00 but it did not have the supercharger .i found a wrecker near stratford ont that was selling what they called a swap kit to convert a stock cobalt to a supercharged SS version .it included the harness , ecm ,bcm , motor ,f35 trans ,axles , guage cluster and everything that was needed .price was 3300.00 .a little rich for me but only because it had a lot of stuff i did not need .happy hunting.....
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2011 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i am getting a lot of work done on the new engine .valve cover and oil pan are back on, installed the 2.4L intake manifold and put the fuel rail back on .the adapter kit for the intake swap was not quite plug and play .it includes an adapter plate and gasket to go from the DBW throttle body to conventional TB .the extra bolt as supplied is way too long and i replaced that with a shorter allen socket head bolt .some material has to be removed from the TB with a dremel where this bolt head contacts the TB or you cannot get the TB bolts to line up .also , one of the bolts has to be torqued into the adapter plate and since it is only 1/8 " thick you need to add a nut on the bolt under the plate .you will strip the thread on the plate without the nut .my new turbo and manifold were shipped on the 4th but i am still waiting for it .we have had some more storms and road closures so it is sitting somewhere now .i have brought all my piping and fittings and intercooler in from the shed .i hope to mock up my new charge piping on the engine stand .i am going to try and mount the intercooler on the drivers side of the engine over the transaxle .this will eliminate about 6 feet of charge piping i hope .cant do it without the new turbo and manifold though .this is the only day i can work on it and i am waiting for parts again .have to work all weekend and monday .
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2011 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

wftb

3692 posts
Member since Jun 2005
welded a bung on my flex pipe to get O2 sensor out of the high exhaust pressure area :

TB adapter plate:

extra nut and area that needed relieving:

intake and fuel rail instaled:
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2011 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
got my new 20G turbo and hahn manifold:

mocking up new charge piping:

PFF
System Bot
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2011 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

wftb

3692 posts
Member since Jun 2005
better old vs new photo .when i first took it out of the box , i thought they were the same :

wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2011 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i checked the fit of the charge piping on the car .i have bolted the old cylinder head on to the motor in the car and now that it is warmer(40*f) ,this makes it easy to do test fits .i had to shorten the bracket i made to hold up the intercooler as it was too close to the decklid support arm .put all the clamps on and took some pics of what you will see when you look in the engine bay :

should be able to get the exhaust mocked up tomorrow and sunday .but , i hear there is another storm coming so maybe not....
FieroFiend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2011 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFiendSend a Private Message to FieroFiendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Youll love the 20g, hahns products are superb and they are great to work with.
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2011 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
mounted the waste gate on my new turbo.i had to clock it and drill and tap a new hole to mount it to the turbo and bend and extend the actuator arm:

starting the new exhaust system .used a tailpipe expander to hold my downpipe flange in place for welding:

new brass fittings on intercooler :

have all day thursday to work on the car but working nights all weekend .
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2011 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
got most of my new 2.5" exhaust finished today .i have to leave the welding of the 90* exit pipes till after i have the new motor in and i figure out what kind of hangers i want to use .after i got it fitted and welded i put it all together in the basement :

the muffler is a flowmaster for a camaro .this time i managed to tuck everything up above the bottom of the bumper .should look nice with nothing exposed except the tips .
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2011 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
got the old motor out and now i am working on cleaning up my fuel lines and coolant lines .i am hard piping as much of the fuel lines as possible .i am doing away with all of the rubber hoses with a combo of original equipment flex lines and stuff from the junkyard and some new bits from cdn tire and ideal supply .on the coolant side ,i am going to take the cavalier overflow tank and mount it up front and get rid of the fiero overflow .i have been running with both ever since i got the ecotec running and this will improve aesthetics a lot .then i am going to sort out the wiring and get everything cleaned up and mounted better .i am going to rip all the old insulation off and put in new foil backed insulation .no pics tonight , going on holidays sunday , cant wait to get away from the snow....
Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2011 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had the 2.5" version of that muffler on my '91 Camaro RS 5.0L, it sounded okay there. But I've no idea what it'll be like on a turbo 4. I'm surprised that I'm now curious. Will you be posting a sound clip? Or a link to one?
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 03:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i hope to do a video in the spring if my wife can figure it out.i am hopeless when it comes to things like that .the car sounds awesome under boost but just driving around it sounds like any econobox .its a jekyl and hyde thing .
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
one of the improvements i have been working on is hard piping my fuel lines with adapter pipes that are compatible with the ecotec factory quick connect flex lines that connect to the tank and the engine fuel lines .this gets rid of the high pressure rubber hoses and multitude of clamps i have been using .here is how the return line is now hooked up :

the rest of the lines are complete and on the car .when i drop the motor in , i just have to put two quick connect flex lines on and the fuel circuit will be done .i have gone back to using the aeromotive FP regulator as i realized that i took it off when something else (my injector harness) was actually causing a problem .this regulator responds to boost and vaccuum and has a 1:1 boost to fuel pressure increase feature .i hard piped the vortec 6:1 FMU in as well and made a mount to attatch it to the intake manifold .now i am moving the cavalier overflow bottle to the front of the car and eliminating the fiero catch tank .i have been running with both and this will simplify things and free up more space in the engine compartment .
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 25 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock