Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Project 88GT has started ...official thread (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Project 88GT has started ...official thread by fiero67
Started on: 05-20-2004 09:32 PM
Replies: 126 (12489 views)
Last post by: fiero67 on 10-25-2012 04:49 PM
BlueGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2004 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlueGTSend a Private Message to BlueGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep the pics coming! Good work! Can't wait to see more of it together.

------------------
BlueGT

IP: Logged
Convertable Indy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2004 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Convertable IndySend a Private Message to Convertable IndyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love these type of threads! I have an '87 GT with poor rails and battery box. I would love to do this but my garage is to small! by the way, I like your garage. Good luck, keep the updates coming!

------------------

fiero67

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 107
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2004 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Convertable Indy. Here is a pic of my frame rails from my 87GT...

I really dont think I had any other option than to start again. Are yours that bad?
Thanks for looking. John

fiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2004 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just had to post the fender vent done...

The last two weeks Ive been busy wiring the interior and exterior accesories.
So far, Ive got the passkey and remote starter installed... Im thinking since this is a standard, I either have to come up with an idea that wont allow the car to start unless its in neutral or I need to do a little research on here and find that thread on installing remote starters in a standard. I did have one problem with relays for this pass-key but shop_rat was able to set me in the right direction.
The windsheild is in, its a brand new windsheild that I just put in the 87GT, before I found all that rust..a wire and about 20 minutes and I cut it out .
Ive got the auto dimming mirror installed and working.
Ive got the lighted sunvisors working and almost installed.

These are great mirrors I got from my olds98,when you flip the visor down, there is a slide that comes out that will cover the area near the mirror and then if you move the visor towards the door, there is another visor that comes down to cover the area near the windsheild as well. Not to mention the mirrors light up and are adjustable for brightness. Im sorry, little things impress me. They are blue, so I guess Im going to learn how to sew.
Im also installing power locks in this car. Ive found in my 88 buick, I dont need power locks.....right? These are the same plungers as are used in the fiero, and just about mount in the same place. So Im removing the entire locking mechs from the buick and installing them in the Fiero, but I wont be buying the power lock controls for the bezel on the door. Im going to wire them up to be used only with the remote.
I still havent figured out how to wire in the one touch window yet. Im working on that.
The following picture isnt the greatest but Ive started reinstalling the interior...
The dash went in smoothly... the steering shaft...guage thing...and what the heck ,I set the aux guages on too. I had to fix the horn because it didnt want to work... I found out that the plunger for it was in upside down. DOH

It was overwhelming on how many wires you can end up with after you install alot of accessories. Thank goodness for zip ties.
If I can figure out how to do it, Im going to take the light strips from these door panel and somehow imbed them into the fiero door panel. I think this would look great, not to mention, safety when the door is open.

fiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2004 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fiero67

2397 posts
Member since Jan 2003
oh, and I painted the mirror.Its wired into the factory switch and works great

and this is what my family does while I spend all my waking hours in the garage ...

[This message has been edited by fiero67 (edited 10-16-2004).]

USFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2004 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiero67:

That is really cool how that mirror looks.

fiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2004 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by USFiero:

That is really cool how that mirror looks.

Thanks alot. I finally got an opinion. That mirror has been driving me crazy..wondering if it looked right.

I guess its about time to put in an update of what Ive been working on...
Ive been talking to Skitime about making the TransAm fender vents functional. He had a great idea (like always) and passed the info off to me. The TA vents are for letting the excess pressure out of the radiator area . Im told , at high speeds the headlight covers will lift up from the backpressure in that area. So, to resolve this backpressure... Im cutting through this area...

and installing a vent that you find on the outside of the b-pillar area behind the rear clip.The reason I choose this area is it is a direct port from the headlight area (forward facing) to the wheel well. Then Im going to run some tubing from the vent over the top of the fenderwell, and down to the TA vent. Since there is very little room between the fender well and the fenderwell cover, this is very tricky. I will post pics of it in progress, when Im done figuring it all out.

ClearDark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2004 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClearDarkSend a Private Message to ClearDarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looking good man. I will have to slide on up and check it out for myself soon.
NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2004 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bumpo... Looking Great!!

------------------
-----just me-----
------------------

USFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2004 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ive been talking to Skitime about making the TransAm fender vents functional. The TA vents are for letting the excess pressure out of the radiator area . Im told , at high speeds the headlight covers will lift up from the backpressure in that area. The reason I choose this area is it is a direct port from the headlight area (forward facing) to the wheel well. Then Im going to run some tubing from the vent over the top of the fenderwell, and down to the TA vent. I will post pics of it in progress, when Im done figuring it all out.

I thought that vents behind the wheel opening were also to vent air out of the wheelwell to cool the brakes on other (race) cars. I realize a lot of these mods are to make the Fiero appear like a high performance racecar rather than a commuter car but I've always figured that a hood vent is the ticket and done right would compliment the side vents. Firebirds have the (simulated) hood vents and Corvettes have the side vents... The trick is to visually mke the Fiero balanced so it's not all cheese grater up front and a block of cheese out back. So now you'll need vents on the back; twin side scoops on the rear to match the front fenders, and a hood scoop on the rear deck to match the front hood. To me that would be a consistent package.

How is the project going?

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2004 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
coming along very nicely!
PFF
System Bot
fiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2004 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by USFiero:

I thought that vents behind the wheel opening were also to vent air out of the wheelwell to cool the brakes on other (race) cars. I realize a lot of these mods are to make the Fiero appear like a high performance racecar rather than a commuter car but I've always figured that a hood vent is the ticket and done right would compliment the side vents. Firebirds have the (simulated) hood vents and Corvettes have the side vents... The trick is to visually mke the Fiero balanced so it's not all cheese grater up front and a block of cheese out back. So now you'll need vents on the back; twin side scoops on the rear to match the front fenders, and a hood scoop on the rear deck to match the front hood. To me that would be a consistent package.

How is the project going?

Im glad you brought that up. I too assumed that I would use those vents to cool the brakes, but I really dont know if they would actually do anything. I wish i had a wind tunnel. then you would have to cut a hole in the wheel well cover to allow the air to escape through the vent. I didnt wnat to do that just for the fact, I wouldnt know where to cut the opening and that I think they would fill with crap from the tire. I dont know?? In the front bumper , on the side, Ill be installing turn lights (the ones that come on full time when the blinkers are on) ...in front of that will be small openings that will funnel to the wheel well. The forced air theory! That will cool the vents nicely.
As far as the rear quarter, Im thinking of making a larger version the 03 Mustang style side vents. Functional ,of course. The bottom of the vent will line up with the bottom of the trans am fender vents. Whatcha think?

As far as a hood scoop........
I got a visite from 2farnorth and his wonderful wife last weekend, they had donated (earily christmas present) a hood scoop for my project88GT! Actually they brought me the whole hood!!!!!

The person that owned this hood had left it for 2farnorth, so he donated it to me. Im going to cut it off the hood it is on, Clean it up and install it onto the GT. I wanted a low profile hood scoop or vents for a more streamline look and I think this one is perfect!!!
Im not sure if it will go on the rear deck or the front hood yet.
My goal is to balance this car out... and definately not make it look off balance.
By spring, all the body mods will be done... its tough to work in a garge with only a little heater..... ugh.
My project wall is getting smaller!!!

Thanks for the interest ! it makes me happy
John

fiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2005 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Winter stinks up here in Miane. Next year I will have heat in the garage! Nothing really new to post. Just bumping to keep it alive. John
fierogirls-mom

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2005 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogirls-momSend a Private Message to fierogirls-momEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks really good John!
I can't wait to see the finished product.

DelawareFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 139
User Banned

Report this Post03-05-2005 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DelawareFieroSend a Private Message to DelawareFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just being nosey.

------------------

"Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight," Psalms 144:1.

fiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2005 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the bumpo, its been a long winter.
Nothing really new to post, its too cold for me to work on any of them.
Where I live, we still have around 20" of snow on the ground and two more storms coming this week.
Enjoy the pic, to all you guys down south and west of here...

Luckily the Formula found shelter and the project88GT is in my garage. THe rest have to live outside until spring. Think warm thoughts. John

carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2005 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know that this type of hood scoop has all ready been done on a fiero before but I am wondering about something...

If you made that scoop functional to vent the pressure from around the radiator wounldn't all the water and road dirt and stuff end up on the windshield? Just a thought...

------------------
88 Fiero GT Auto
01 Prizm 5 Spd.

fiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2005 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

I know that this type of hood scoop has all ready been done on a fiero before but I am wondering about something...

If you made that scoop functional to vent the pressure from around the radiator wounldn't all the water and road dirt and stuff end up on the windshield? Just a thought...

no, its not a vaccum type of system. It just lets the air escape a different way. Not to mention, drive behind someone and you will get more stuff on your windsheild then that vent would allow to come out. No worries here, but thanks for asking. John

slickrick2000

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2005 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slickrick2000Send a Private Message to slickrick2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great build thread. Looking forward to seeing this get closer to the finished product.
DelawareFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 139
User Banned

Report this Post03-24-2005 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DelawareFieroSend a Private Message to DelawareFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
keeping it around.
fiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2005 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ttt, just because my favorite lists are gone. Spring is here and its time to go full force on this project again. John
PFF
System Bot
Earl-R

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2005 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Earl-RSend a Private Message to Earl-REdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know how I missed this thread, looking good.

------------------
87 Fiero GT
White / Blue Pearl
T-Top, 3400 Turbo, 11.25" brakes
Whaletail, Mecham Scoops, ZR1 Scoop
T/A Fender Vents, Much Much More

86 SE Red
86 SE Gold

My build Thread: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/036679.html

USFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2005 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ttt, just because my favorite lists are gone. Spring is here and its time to go full force on this project again. John

your lists are there to the left, just click on the 'slider' on the left side of the screen at 'General Chat'. It's real thin and easy to miss!

ka-bump

[This message has been edited by USFiero (edited 04-19-2005).]

fiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2005 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, the weather is great up here and lots have been happening. Working on my sons Fiero does take away from my project , but I fight back and am allowed from time to time to work on my own. I know this scoop install has been done before.... but I did it myself and think I should include it in this build up thread. I received it from 2farnorth over the winter and removed it from the hood it was on, cleaned it up and followed skitimes install procedure. I taped the area on the hood where I wanted the scoop to be installed and placed the scoop on. Took lots of measurements to make sure that it was centered and that it would cover the hole that is to be cut to open the area above the radiator. Then traced the pattern onto the tape...

Then I cut out the area , so I could recess it into the hood. This will give it more of a clean look.

Then I flipped the hood over and cut out the opening that is outlined on the back side. That was the easy part... I had a factory guideline to follow.

As you can see, the opening matches the radiator area pefectly!!!

The hood now, is glued in place and will be glassed in tomarrow.
Here is a rough side shot of what it will look like...

All the stuff on it is weight to help it stay where i want it. Thanks for looking. John

Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2005 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Warming up, glad to see your back in the groove =)

Looks nice!

sonic50

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2005 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
doing a good job, can not wait till I get started on my 88coupe

------------------

88gt build up! //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/047402.html

http://www.iamanascarfan.com/

Skybax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2005 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love that AC Delco creeper

fiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2005 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now that the hood is almost done, Ive dropped the engine out of the ole 87GT. This engine is going to be mounted onto the engine craddle from the 88. Im going to open it up and see what it looks like and rebuild it if I have to. Im pressure washing the entire engine and tranny , then proceed to detail this engine to the fullest. I cant wait to start this.

This is all that is left of my 87GT. It will be totaly stripped before it goes to the local metal collector.

The hood has been glassed

The resin seemed to sit too high for me, so out came the grinder and I leveled it off. cleaned it with "prep it" and used boat bonda to level and smooth it for a finish. I will also do the inside to complete the look.

Thanks for looking and Im sorry I skip around alot on this project. Its mainly because of money (Im sure everyone can understand this) John

Fierotaz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2005 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierotazSend a Private Message to FierotazEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love this hood mod since I saw it on Skitimes car. The mod's are looking great, I would love to see the painted hood when you get it done.
fiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2005 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will definately post a pic of it finished painted. The scoop makes the front of the Fiero more agressive looking. Thanks for sharing your comments. John
fiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2005 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
keeeping this out of the archives!
Lots of new stuff happening, but nothing to show....
unless anyone wants to see me finishing the glass on my sunroof headliner.
John
PFF
System Bot
fiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2005 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the VW antenna installed...(saw this on Jscotts Fiero)

To center it ,I just measured the third brake light and divided the measurement in half. The shaft on the antenna mount goes through the roof and mounts from the inside, just drill through the roof and metal frame. With the headliner out you can see the center bolt that holds the roof panel on, that hole gave me access to screw on the bolt that holds the antenna in place and also a way to run the antenna wire. Looks cool and will work just fine!

Now that the antenna is installed and run up to the front of the interior, I can install my fiberglassed headliner,which will be covered in black vinyl.

[This message has been edited by fiero67 (edited 08-20-2005).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2005 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

One of my favorite threads. Keep the updates coming.

88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2005 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nice work, keep the pictures coming
theratdude64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2005 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theratdude64Send a Private Message to theratdude64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This Thread is awesome! Can't wait to see the finished product and other cool stuff you're doin
fiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2005 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the interest.
So far, Ive got my engine on a stand and stripped. Im going to replace every gasket in it, and paint it.
Ive removed the power mirror and fixed the "longness" of it.
The hood and fenders are in primer.
My headliner is in fiberglass... and mounted back in to allow it to revert back to its original shape.
Ill have to add more pics , now, that Ive been requested.
John
fiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2005 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So many unfinished areas of my FieroGT. But, it takes time and lot of ....time !
This is the way it sits right now.

I dont have much space to take pictures. But anyone is welcomed to come and see it in person.lol
The bottom of the mirror mount has more of a curve now

now .................................................................................................................before
Im trying to make the mirror less long looking. Ever sit around and just stare at your Fiero. Of course you have, so you know what Im talking about.
Oh, here is something you might like, and it is almost finished.

My shifter console fiberglassed...only took like 20 hours... but Im happy with it. No more warped center console.

Last , but not least... Im trying to figure out the height of my wing with a little of forward tilt.
Its propped up 1 1/2" in the front and 1 3/4 " in the rear. I looked at it from all angles and I think this works best fo me.
Im looking for opinions on the tilt. Please let me know what you think the tilt should be and save me from many more countless hours staring at it.
Thanks for looking and I hope someone finds this useful .
John

[This message has been edited by fiero67 (edited 10-21-2005).]

back 4 more

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2005 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for back 4 moreSend a Private Message to back 4 moreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey- what's the "bio bag" you have there in the box inside of the car for? i use those for my aquariuam...am i missing somthing here? just checking..ha ha

robbie

fiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2005 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by back 4 more:

Hey- what's the "bio bag" you have there in the box inside of the car for? i use those for my aquariuam...am i missing somthing here? just checking..ha ha

robbie

I installed a fish tank in my center console and those were used to filter the water. You guessed it right. I had to take it out because everytime I went around a corner, the water would splash on the seats. I still havent found all my goldfish. Oh well. John
yes ,Im kidding

[This message has been edited by fiero67 (edited 10-21-2005).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2005 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fishing for an update.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock